Thread: The NEW Official Big Man Thread

Default The NEW Official Big Man Thread

Look, The Knicks won't win until we get a star center or power forward. Name one good team that doesn't have one? We are all looking forward to the "big 2010" but its more important to have a big guy than a LeBron or a Wade. Wade didn't win without Shaq, and LeBron HASN'T won. Kobe didn't win without Shaq or Gasol.. The list goes on.

We do not need a point guard. We can get a pass-first point guard without much cost, but a center is expensive.

Who is with me in DEMANDING a center/power forward this Off Season???
    (No matter the cost)

GO KNICKS

--Jpz's thoughts

Well LeBron got two good big men in Ilgauskas and Varejao both pretty decent big guys. Not dominant in the paint like Shaq or Howard but Gasol isn't dominant either.

Don't really see many big men that are gonna be available that are worth it this FA. Not much trade bait we have either to lure a team in unless you want to give away our 8th pick.

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Get Marcin Gortat!!!!

If Walsh can trade up in the draft don't go after Rubio. Too much baggage and legal **** going on with him, plus he can't shoot. If we get a #2 pick we should get Thabeet.

Gortatt/Thabeet tandem.
    Big man problem solved.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by jpz17
    Look, The Knicks won't win until we get a star center or power forward. Name one good team that doesn't have one? We are all looking forward to the "big 2010" but its more important to have a big guy than a LeBron or a Wade. Wade didn't win without Shaq, and LeBron HASN'T won. Kobe didn't win without Shaq or Gasol.. The list goes on.

We do not need a point guard. We can get a pass-first point guard without much cost, but a center is expensive.

Who is with me in DEMANDING a center/power forward this Off Season???
    (No matter the cost)

GO KNICKS

--Jpz's thoughts
    I agree. The Knicks have been in a desperate need for a center, since 2004. I'm hoping the Knicks draft a center, but if they can trade for one, that would be good, too.

There is just the problem of actually finding a big man.

Where are we going to get one?

We only have two options really. Draft Thabeet or sign Gortat. And neither of those players are going to be stars. Thatbeet is a huge risk and Gortat is just a solid role player.

I mean, there is probably a chance to get someone like Amare for a lot of expiring contracts...But is it worth it?

Originally Posted by TunerAddict

We only have two options really. Draft Thabeet or sign Gortat. And neither of those players are going to be stars. Thatbeet is a huge risk and Gortat is just a solid role player.

I mean, there is probably a chance to get someone like Amare for a lot of expiring contracts...But is it worth it?
    I think we could get Tyson Chandler or Josh Smith pretty easily if we are willing to get creative.

Superstar

much rather sign amare next year than trade for Josh Smith who isn't as good.

Lets remember that this team doesn't have to go all out and make unnecessary deals to win this year. They aren't going to win anything with Harrington, Hughes, Richardson getting starting minutes.

One deal that I think is possible to help in the short term is trade Chris Duhon for Marcus Camby. The Clippers could use a back up PG for the injury prone Baron Davis.

Also, looking at the OK Thunder situation..they are probably looking to trade Jeff Green because he doesn't fit in as PF over there. However, on the Knicks he might work as a Rashard Lewis type fit. Sign and trade David Lee for Jeff Green and Chucky Atkins and then sign Amare the year after..you have a similar, younger built team to the Orlando Magic.

Stoudemire - Howard
    Green - Lewis
    Gallinari - Turkoglu
    Chandler - Lee
    Curry/Lawson - Nelson

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

Originally Posted by TunerAddict

Gortat is ready. You know how the league works, back ups for great teams can start on mediocre teams and we all know Knicks are kings of mediocrity. Gorat is a shot blocking, dunking, post up quiet beast. His jumper needs work but what center doesn't need work on the J. Considering we are starting David Lee at center, Gortat can definitely start. The best part is we really don't have to pay him much. Rumors have surfaced that the Knicks will make him an offer but they have been over shadowed by draft talk. Hopefully other teams will sleep on Gortatt. If his stock is low, our pay to him should be low. At least lower then what we paid out to Jerome James.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by donchris; Jun 20, 2009 at 09:21.

Originally Posted by donchris
    Gortat is ready. You know how the league works, back ups for great teams can start on mediocre teams and we all know Knicks are kings of mediocrity. Gorat is a shot blocking, dunking, post up quiet beast. His jumper needs work but what center doesn't need work on the J. Considering we are starting David Lee at center, Gortat can definitely start. The best part is we really don't have to pay him much. Rumors have surfaced that the Knicks will make him an offer but they have been over shadowed by draft talk. Hopefully other teams will sleep on Gortatt. If his stock is low, our pay to him should be low. At least lower then what we paid out to Jerome James.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    I'm not hating on Gortat. He is actually my prefered FA signing for us. I love the guy. He is just a bulldozer.

I just don't think anyone we can get is going to be someone that puts us into playoff contention like some ppl above seem to think getting a Center will.

yes.we need a center.itd crazy that we don't have one, and expect to go to the playoffs.yao can opt out after next season as well, so who knows.gortat as a pf for toughness, like a polish oakley.

A big man is needed, but our options this off-season are limited.

NBA draft-

thabeet (one-dimensional)

-B.J. Mullens (desperation move)

Free Agency-

gortat (back-up)

Josh smith (not a true PF)

Ty Chandler (cannot dominate on offense or defense)

Basically most of our options would just be fill-ins for big names that we can acquire a year from now.

This off-season we should concentrate on the PG/SG positions, since there is a plethora of talent.

we should get gortat

Veteran

Obviously we need a big man but this year's stock is...

I mean, would you really draft BJ Mullens with the 8th pick? I hope not.

Sources say 3 NBA Executives laughed at the thought of atl trading smith to cut salary and keep mike bibby on the roster. I never believed that smith was going anywhere either.
    Our best bet is to acquire the 'Polish Punisher' Macien Gortat. With the aquisition of Gortat, Lee can be moved down to his true position at PF. If Lee continues to work on that jump shot of his, he can be lethal. Lee and Gortat is a very effective front line imo. Al harrington can play his natural position at SF instead of going toe to toe with PF's some nights.

Duhon - N8
    Chandler - Curry
    Harrington - Gallo
    Lee - Jefferies
    Gortat - Curry

Ohhh I know the guy who guys are talking about!!!!!!!

I met him a while backing visiting America. That is him right?

Can't believe he plays bball, doesn't look like it.