Wizards want Jeffries and Hughes

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Courtesy of http://www.theknicksblog.com/

There have been recent conversations between the teams about players, mainly ones the Wizards are interested in on the Knicks roster. But what may come as a surprise is that Wilson Chandler doesn’t appear to be the main ingredient here. In fact, from multiple sources with knowledge of the Wizards’ strategizing, they’re the ones who have inquired about two former Wiz players, Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries...(more on the site)

In any case, the Wizards seem to, for some reason, want Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries from the Knicks. The Wizards also don't seem to be all that psyched about anything they could get at the 5th pick. It sounds too good to be true, but could the Knicks get rid of cap space for 2010 AND pick up another draft pick at the same time? Or would the Knicks have to give up the 8th as well? If Walsh could somehow pull off Larry Hughes + Jared Jeffries for the 5th pick in the draft...of course, that seems a little TOO lopsided...

Last edited:

CoolClyde

word

In any case, the Wizards seem to, for some reason, want Larry Hughes and Jared Jeffries from the Knicks. The Wizards also don't seem to be all that psyched about anything they could get at the 5th pick. It sounds too good to be true, but could the Knicks get rid of cap space for 2010 AND pick up another draft pick at the same time? Or would the Knicks have to give up the 8th as well? If Walsh could somehow pull off Larry Hughes + Jared Jeffries for the 5th pick in the draft...of course, that seems a little TOO lopsided...

<<Or would the Knicks have to give up the 8th as well?>>

THAT is the question. def appears 2 good 2B true

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
No way!

Don't believe it for a second. Whether or not they consider themselves a contender next year or not, it still doesn't seem worth it.

There's gotta be some pressure from fans to have some wins considering their salary sheet, and if so, it still doesn't make a lot of sense.

IMO, if we could trade Jeffries for McGee and have Oak learn him in thuggery, that'd be sweeeeeeeetttt.

An athletic, tall, floor running dunkenstein would be great for us.

Wishful thinking at best.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The proposed deal is Hughes and Jeffries for Mike James and Etan Thomas. That alone would be a miracle if it happened and would do it in a heartbeat. James and Thomas are expiring contracts. Getting rid of Jeffries without having to use Lee or Nate as bait would be fantastic. Then Lee or Nate could be used as bait to get rid of Curry. If that happens, we've got huge cap relief for 2010 and the ability to sign multiple stars.

dre48ny

Rotation player
Apparently Jefferies contributed well during his tenure there. He left a decent image. Hughes gives them security just in case Gilbert breaks a nail or something.

metrocard

Legend
Makes our lives a little better.

Thomas is a shot blocker.
James is a spark plug.

For two bums?

Plus those wizards are expiring...sweet deal.

IMO...those two give us a better chance of winning than Jefferies and Hughes.

We need to try to be a very good team in 2009-10...because we dont have a first round...so we would be tanking for nothing.

Try to build the best possible team without affecting the cap space issue.
That should be the goal.

Drafting guys like Curry, Holiday, Jennings, DeRozan...will keep us average....no one dimensional players.

We need two dimensional players like Rubio, Evans, Lawson, Clark, Williams, etc and etc.

I would take Flynn who isn't that two dimensional(defense potential is there)...that boy has a lot of heart and leadership skills. I see him as a strong Tony Parker/Ford.

dave2138

Rotation player
That would definitely be an amazing deal for us. I guess the fact that Washington already had a couple players that are untradable and signed past 2010 that picking up Jefferies for 2 seasons isn't a big deal to them. Just shows that patience may be paying off for Walsh waiting for any team to take Jefferies without giving up a pick/Lee/Nate.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Somehow my gut tells me that there's no way they want Jeffries bad enough to the point where they're willing to take on his contract and give up two expiring ones. Then again the Wizards aren't looking to score big in 2010 so it doesn't really matter for them if they can get the players they want, I suppose.

If we can trade away 6 million in cap room then that gives us room to sign two big names in 2010 AND get some decent players in return that don't contribute to the cap in 2010. And if we could possibly convince the Wizards to give us their draft pick...maybe we'd have to give up more than Hughes and Jeffries, but it raises the odds of Ricky Rubio falling to us without having to give up Wilson Chandler.

mafra

Legend
Sounds to me like it would be something like this:

WAS gets the #8th pick, Jeffries & Hughes

&

NYK gets the #5th pick, along with James & Thomas

You would have to do it. Would ensure we get either Rubio, Curry or Evans, along with getting from under Jeffries 2010 committment.

Be a nice start to the summer, no?

metrocard

Legend
Not sure if Rubio is available at 5.
Not sure if Washington wants to add their #5 pick to the deal.
JJ/LH for ET/MJ is great enough for us...kinda weird tho, didnt Washington wanna get under the cap? I mean they're a playoff team already with a healthy Arenas, Hughes and Jefferies could be the glue pieces they're missing.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Am i Missing Something?

Washington is over the cap next year -- over $67M -- and that does not include Mike James who appears to be in the same status as Chris Wilcox, an unrestricted free agent.

Hughes' contract for next year is $13,665M and Jeffries' is $6.466M. The two togeher total about $20M. Etan Thomas's contract for next year is $7.354M. I do not expect Washington to sign James for $12M and then trade him to the Knicks.

Since Washington is over the cap, they cannot take $20M from us without giving us back something close to $20M.

Perhaps Jeffries for Thomas straight up, but then we are taking back $900,000 more than we are sending back.

Could we buy Hughes out and let him sign with whomever -- perhaps Washington?

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
I Was Missing Something.

I was missing something.

I obtained some misinformation on one of the sites for NBA salary information. A "SportsCity" site for NBA 2008 salaries which covered subsequent years showed no 2009-10 contract for James. Another site indicates that James has a player option for next year at $6.466M which matches Jefferies number for next year.

But there is still a gap between the $20M for Jefferies and Hughes and the $14M for Etan Thomas and Mike James. Since Washington is already well over the cap, there has got to be something more going on -- that is, if anything is going on.

TunerAddict

Starter
I was missing something.

I obtained some misinformation on one of the sites for NBA salary information. A "SportsCity" site for NBA 2008 salaries which covered subsequent years showed no 2009-10 contract for James. Another site indicates that James has a player option for next year at $6.466M which matches Jefferies number for next year.

But there is still a gap between the $20M for Jefferies and Hughes and the $14M for Etan Thomas and Mike James. Since Washington is already well over the cap, there has got to be something more going on -- that is, if anything is going on.

We have like 3-4 million in trade exceptions...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, I don't personally think Jeffries and Hughes are reason enough for the Wizards to trade down in the draft...or give up their pick at all, really...

We'll see. At worst this move gives us more cap room in 2010 to sign them you know whos

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Larry Hughes sucks, so if the Knicks can trade him, it would be great! Hopefully the Knicks can find someone to take Quentin Richardson, too.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Hughes and Jefferies

A draft blog, I think it was and ESPN blog, reported that Washington proposed an Etan Thomas and MIke James trade for Larry Hughes. The numbers make sense. There was no mention of Jefferies.

dave2138

Rotation player
I think you are right oldtimer..the Jefferies add in seems too good to be true.

The deal is probably just Hughes - James/Thomas which can be translated to nothing for nothing and nothing.

Washington should just take with the 5th pick Thabeet or Harden whichever one Oklahoma doesn't take. I don't know why they would be desperate to trade it.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
This trade rumor makes no sense for Washington. Why would they want to go lower in the draft to get Jeffries? They already have three scorers why would they need another in Hughes? All this for what, a shot at Rubio? Rubio's stock is sinking faster then GM. What do you expect from a skinny kid with no shooting or defensive ability.

The trading of picks is highly unlikely for the Knicks. They are stuck at eight and they will likely get Jru Holiday or Johny Flynn. If the Knicks some how manage to trade up the draft believe they will pick Curry over Rubio.

TunerAddict

Starter
This trade rumor makes no sense for Washington. Why would they want to go lower in the draft to get Jeffries? They already have three scorers why would they need another in Hughes? All this for what, a shot at Rubio? Rubio's stock is sinking faster then GM. What do you expect from a skinny kid with no shooting or defensive ability.

The trading of picks is highly unlikely for the Knicks. They are stuck at eight and they will likely get Jru Holiday or Johny Flynn. If the Knicks some how manage to trade up the draft believe they will pick Curry over Rubio.

lulz

always good for a laugh