Steals: .9
Blocks: 1.7
Turnovers: 2.9
Fouls: 3

Ehhh....

JayJ44

Starter
Mike D'antoni on Hill:
“Our scouts had him rated as the second best player in the draft,” Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni said, according to the News. “I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I think he can be a really good player. He’s long. He can really run the floor. He’s got range and he can block shots.”

He might be decent, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a role player.

iSaYughh

Starter
I've been hoping we take Hill (or take Lee and make Hill the official replacement)....and powermove into a Rubio. If we don't.....this pick strikes me has heinously underwhelming....and with Isiah bitch slapping us one more time next year w/ our unprotected pick....christ...

In and of Hill himself I've tried to be optimistic and think he's an interesting player who can run, be quick, and have the potential to be solid starter; and we coulda done worse (lol) getting trapped with like Holliday....but we need BIG, BOLD, DECISIVE moves -- a' la the Jets this past draft -- to get us out of the quicksand nightmare Isiah has delivered to us, and build a CHAMPION-caliber franchise.

We needed a PG for the present and future. This draft was rich with PGs. We fail (until further notice), imo, by just sticking and settling with Hill @ 8.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I'm tight I'm still banking on the chance we get rubio and from what I hear talks are serious and I hope we can land him.

Jordan hill won't be more than a role player at best. I tried to open up to him and after watching videos on him its just not there hell be a better version of wilcox which still isn't much.

I hope we get rubio there's still a chance so go out and do it walsh.

portega1968

El Cacique
Dantoni hasnt got over his breakup with Amare and is looking at Hill to fill the void.

I swear this guy makes me think Chris Wilcox... maybe Walsh has something up his sleeve involving Lee by mid july

NYKnicks15

Starter
this is why i usually dont get involved in discussions with any of you anymore. there are a few that got my respect around here but the rest are like the knicks fans showed on tv during the draft. whining. crying. dont know anything about the guy so automatically hate him cause his name isnt Curry. watch footage on this guy please. please. please. please. then talk. same old knicks fans, disgraced to be one on days like these.

David Lee will be gone. like it or not he will be gone! and to have a big who can run, BLOCK!!!!!!!!, and shoot at what 53% is a HUGE plus.

get over it people.

i read his flaws and i think the same can be said about most knick fans. POOR BASKETBALL IQ.

yeah haha, if you took all of david lees flaws it would double that. this guy is the real deal, well coached, and will fit in perfectly for what we want to do. I am not sweating him saying hes the next big thing, but in all honesty he was the best player available at that point in the draft.

CoolClyde

Big Bigger BBall

PROS outweigh CONS, Hill was solid choice to add big man off/def
presence, and replace DLee's rebounding/inside game. After StephCurry,
Flynn, Rubio and Evans were gone, Hill was the way to go. I didn't see Hill
any lower than 7 on dozens of mock drafts, and saw him as high as 3 on
quite a few; hence, lotsa NBA folks think Hill is a good player, and well
worthy of #8 pick. The fact he can run, shoot from the inside at a high
percentage, and BLOCK is more than you can say about DLee...

JORDAN HILL
Round: 1 Pick: 7 in 2009 Mock Draft
Rank 2 in NCAA Juniors
Rank 5 in Top 100 Prospects
Rank 2 in Draft Eligible PFs

Donnie's doing a good job gettin the Knicks bigger and better, adding
Darko and Hill made 2/3 of the team over 6-9. Donnie's got some major
moves up his sleeves, wait till next week, when other teams start offering
DLee and N8 contracts, we'll be signing and trading, and maybe Senor
Rubio will be doing his thing in MSG...

BIG KNICKS

Al Harrington 6-9
David Lee 6-9
Gallinari 6-10
Chris Wilcox 6-10
Jordan Hill 6-10
Jared Jeffries 6-11
Chris Hunter 6-11
Edwood Curry 6-11
Mouhamed Sene 7-0
Darko Milcic 7-0

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
poor mans chris bosh

i really didnt get this draft. the glaring weakness coming in was center and 2 guard and we ended up with a backup combo guard not really starting material and created yet another log jam at forward

were potentially losing a 4 and 1 so we draft to replace the 4 and 1 spots. but fail to adress the missing pieces at the 2 and 5 positions

were just telling everyone sit back and wait for 2010 yet were going to potentially yield a worse team then this season without the reward of a pick. then were gonna expect a superstar to want to come and play here with what we have

we better have enough bread to sign 2 stars for sure cause if not no one is gonna be eager to come. and even if they 1 star wont make with what is left into a legit team

JayJ44

Starter
I just don't like guys like Hill, who are drafted purely off of potential and athleticism. He has very little offensive and defensive polish, a low basketball IQ, and he just doesn't have a very good feel for the game. Are we supposed to just assume that he's going to develop post moves, defensive fundamentals, and passing skills? As of now, he's just a tall, athletic guy who can shoot. Maybe he can develop into something more, but he's a project to say the least.

Last edited:

JayJ44

Starter
Jordan Hill, Arizona: I?ve been knocking Jordan Hill since the start of this process. While others had him a regular in the top 5, I usually placed him around #30. Though I detect some movement downward for him, he seems very likely to remain in the top 5-10. So let?s take a look at what we have n Jordan Hill. He?s a 3<sup>rd</sup>-year player who had been in more of a support role previous to this season. Here are his numbers through the years:
<table id="table7" style="border: medium none ; border-collapse: collapse;" class="MsoTableGrid" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Jordan Hill
</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top">
2 pt pct​
</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top">
P40​
R40​
SB40​
A/TO​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Freshman
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top">
.652​
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top">
13.0​
11.2​
3.0​
0.1​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Sophomore
.620​
18.5​
11.1​
3.0​
0.4​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Junior
.537​
20.7​
12.5​
2.9​
0.5​
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
The freshman Hill was a raw player who showed some promise. The sophomore Hill was actually a pretty strong prospect himself. The totals were all a little soft, but his efficiency was excellent. This player would have been worth a draft pick. This year?s Hill added some rebounding, lost a lot of efficiency and did nothing to improve his defensive numbers.

The two numbers that concern me are his .537 FG pct. and the 2.9 SB40. Generally it?s best for top prospects to exceed .570 and 3.5. Hill easily topped .570 his first couple of seasons, but I?m not sure how real that was. I suspect his offense as a freshman consisted mainly of putbacks and easy layups. Last year, it was probably much of the same, but .620 on 18.5 P40 is impressive. This past season when he became one of the top 2 offensive options his percentage dropped to the .537 that has me so concerned. This is one of those numbers that?s a red flag if it?s too far below .570 or so. Here are some players who had some success after posting a sub-.550 2-point pct:

<table id="table8" style="border: medium none ; border-collapse: collapse;" class="MsoTableGrid" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Player
2 pt. Pct.​
P40​
R40​
SB40​
A/TO​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Karl Malone
.541​
22.9​
12.4​
2.8​
0.9​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Sam Perkins
.548​
20.2​
11.2​
3.6​
0.7​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Antonio Davis
.545​
18.1​
10.1​
1.4​
0.3​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Drew Gooden
.523​
26.4​
15.2​
4.2​
0.7​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Andrew Declerq
.547​
13.1​
11.7​
3.6​
0.7​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Chuck Hayes
.547​
13.8​
10.5​
3.7​
1.5​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Kenny Thomas
.537​
20.6​
11.4​
4.1​
1.0​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Alan Henderson
.534​
21.7​
12.5​
3.9​
0.6​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Jason Caffey
.521​
18.9​
9.3​
1.8​
0.3​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Jerome Williams
.515​
14.3​
13.2​
2.1​
0.6​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Troy Murphy
.499​
24.0​
10.2​
2.8​
0.7​
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt;" valign="top"> Jordan Hill
.537​
20.7​
12.5​
2.9​
0.5​
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I didn?t include players like Pat Garrity and Keith van Horn who used the outside shot as more of a weapon. I just felt they weren?t similar players to Hill, who has yet to attempt a 3-pointer, and therefore weren?t relevant. I guess the good news is the appearance of Karl Malone. Like Hill, Malone looked like an ordinary prospect in college. As we all know, malone became one of the greatest PFs ever. But there are a couple of things to mention before we start calling Hill Mailman II. Malone was an outlier. He became a much better player than his stats suggested. There have been many players over the years who looked like ordinary prospects, but could have been sold as being better than Karl Malone was at this point. Most of these players never had an impact. The next is Karl Malone played at Louisiana Tech in the pre-shot clock 80s. I have little idea about how that team operated. I have no idea if those teams ran a slowpoke offense that suppressed Malone?s stats or not. All I have are the raw stats of Karl Malone from 1985. So while it?s good for Hill that Malone is on this list, it?s probably best to focus on the other players. The other players just weren?t all that good. The players who were superior to Hill at this point were Gooden and Henderson. I?d also throw Malone and Perkins in there, since this was a down year for both. Gooden seems at the end of his run as a starter and will likely finish out his career as a reserve, with his facial hair probably getting crazier with each passing year. Henderson was a journeyman?s journeyman. Perkins had a strong career and was able to stick around a long time because he developed an effective outside shot. Of the others only Davis had a real strong career. He was obviously a late bloomer.

What this chart shows is Hill just doesn?t look like anything more than a career journeyman. There is some good stuff in his career. I like that he shot over 60% his first two seasons. I like that his rebound rate has consistently improved. I like that he destroyed both Cole Aldrich and Josh Heytvelt in head-to-head matchups this year. I don?t like that he can?t get his SB40 over 3.0. This is something that even the rawest of top PF prospects should be able to do. I don?t like that his team was so ordinary despite featuring two first round draftees. What bothers me the most is his .537 2-point pct. this year when he became a top scoring option. History simply hasn?t been kind to such players. I feel any team drafting Jordan Hill in the top 10 and expecting him to become something of a cornerstone will come to regret it. He looks like nothing more than a decent journeyman.

Most similar players to Jordan Hill:

Jared Reiner, junior: .977
Marlon Maxey, sophomore: .956
AJ Bramlett, senior: .948
Dan Gadzuric, senior: .934
Aaron Gray, junior: .932
http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/0809ew12.htm

Red

TYPE-A
what did u expect?

this is why i usually dont get involved in discussions with any of you anymore. there are a few that got my respect around here but the rest are like the knicks fans showed on tv during the draft. whining. crying. dont know anything about the guy so automatically hate him cause his name isnt Curry. watch footage on this guy please. please. please. please. then talk. same old knicks fans, disgraced to be one on days like these.

David Lee will be gone. like it or not he will be gone! and to have a big who can run, BLOCK!!!!!!!!, and shoot at what 53% is a HUGE plus.

get over it people.

i read his flaws and i think the same can be said about most knick fans. POOR BASKETBALL IQ.

Co-stamp... We had plenty shooters. We lacked interior and overall Defense. Lee is too expensive for his skill set and an asset. I thought we needed some bigs EARLY last season. What were you thinking? What were you watching? That another guard would make a difference without an interior presence? I dunno?!?!? I read you guys "expert" posts and just wonder are you posting b/c you like reading ur own sh*t? Donnie knows what's up. The next bpa and a defensive guard ala a Lee and N8 that can contribute on D!!!! Plus Milicic... we are addressing our NEEDS 1st! and its not over. If this surprises you, you're clue-less. Not that Hill and Milicic are "great" but possibly a defesive upgrade over those listed in my sig. Peace ..RIP M.J.

Last edited:

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
I was wondering when Walsh would add size and nastiness to cover the paint. I'll be laughing when Hill starts blocking the shoots of all those guards drafted in front of him. Walsh knows what he is doing and he's doing it the way he did it in Indiana. BTW, Hill reminds me a little bit of Dale Davis a rebounding machine who will learn to intimidate opponents with time.

Blas

Benchwarmer
And what superstar in this draft were we going to get with the 8th pick?

Hill = Poor man's Chris Bosh? Well who is the Chris Bosh in this draft? No one.

Hill is only compared to Frye because they went to the same school, they have completely different games. Hill does things that Frye could only pretend to do in college.

Hill is potentially better then any of our big men currently. We just got an upgrade and you guys are going to complain?

Seriously, when Blake, Thebeet, Harden, Evans, and Rubio were all taken off the board who else could we get?

Those were the right top five to go. After those five who knows what you will get.

We had the 8th pick, Donnie did the right thing. It doesn't matter if Hill will be a bust or not, at that time last night, Hill was the best choice.