Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Official Jordan Hill Thread

Originally Posted by JayJ44
    Hill can't be compared to Amare coming out of high school. Amare was a beast, even when he was in high school. Hill is weak, especially in his lower body. He was able to bully around the guys in college, but he won't be able to that at the next level. It's a lot easier to show great footwork in workouts, rather than in actual games. In his games in Arizona, he showed that he's clumsy and mechanical. Some quotes from draft express:

What good are natural gifts if he doesn't know how to use them? We know he's athletic and he can shoot, but he hasn't shown he can use that to his advantage. I don't like these project bigmen, who are drafted purely off of physical tools. They rarely work out well. Statistically, it seems Hill is merely an average player:

You know what they say, when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me. Jeff Goodman from Fox sports on Hill:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'm more than willing to give him a chance. But there's overwhelming evidence that Hill will be a bust.
    I was hoping GSW took Hill, so we would get Curry... After Curry went, I was sort of pulling for Henderson. He would have been the safe pick.... not sexy or excellent, but safe.

To me, Hill is not Amare, but he mgiht be a Diaw. If we get something in between we did well. Again, not much left for us to pick from. Why not grab the #2 Big man than the 5th PG?

Terrence Williams would have made sense... BUT, like Henderson... not really worth the #8 selection.

At least we can say we got one of the guys we wanted.... We'll see if it works. BUT, I do not think this kid will crumble. He's sounds like he's tougher than some people thing.

AND, it might amaze people (especially after the IT years).... BUT, just maybe we coach a player up and help them improve?

Darko-Hill are better than what we had last year, at least in D'ant's system.

Veteran

Yeah everybody keeps saying in a draft rich with PGs we should've taken a PG but they seem to ignore the fact that all the PGs the Knicks brass wanted were gone by the time it was our turn to draft. The 1-7 choices couldn't have gone any worse than they did. What were the odds of Flynn, Rubio, Curry, AND Evans all being selected before #8?

Originally Posted by mafra
    I was hoping GSW took Hill, so we would get Curry... After Curry went, I was sort of pulling for Henderson. He would have been the safe pick.... not sexy or excellent, but safe.

To me, Hill is not Amare, but he mgiht be a Diaw. If we get something in between we did well. Again, not much left for us to pick from. Why not grab the #2 Big man than the 5th PG?

Terrence Williams would have made sense... BUT, like Henderson... not really worth the #8 selection.

At least we can say we got one of the guys we wanted.... We'll see if it works. BUT, I do not think this kid will crumble. He's sounds like he's tougher than some people thing.

AND, it might amaze people (especially after the IT years).... BUT, just maybe we coach a player up and help them improve?

Darko-Hill are better than what we had last year, at least in D'ant's system.

I would have liked Williams or Henderson. I don't buy this stuff "not worth" the 8th pick. If there's a player you think fits well on your team, and you think will be a good player, who cares where he's projected to go?

Diaw? Diaw was a point forward, with ball handling skills and court vision. Hill is more of a post player. There nothing alike.

Actually, I'm not sure Hill can handle NYC. He's from the South, maybe the big city is too much for him. Plus, I've heard reports that he likes to party. NYC might have too many distractions for him.

Hopefully the coaching staff will help him improve. But he has SO much work to do in order to be an elite player. I rather draft guys who are NBA ready, rather than project big men who will take 5 years to reach their potential.

I would have liked Williams or Henderson. I don't buy this stuff "not worth" the 8th pick. If there's a player you think fits well on your team, and you think will be a good player, who cares where he's projected to go?

Diaw? Diaw was a point forward, with ball handling skills and court vision. Hill is more of a post player. There nothing alike.

Actually, I'm not sure Hill can handle NYC. He's from the South, maybe the big city is too much for him. Plus, I've heard reports that he likes to party. NYC might have too many distractions for him.

Hopefully the coaching staff will help him improve. But he has SO much work to do in order to be an elite player. I rather draft guys who are NBA ready, rather than project big men who will take 5 years to reach their potential.
    "If Hill's play is even half as good as his personal story, he's going to be one tough competitor. The 6-10 power forward fought his way to the top of the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s draft class after surviving a difficult childhood that began when his mother died of breast cancer when he was 3.

His father gave up a career as a cross-country truck driver to care for Jordan and his siblings, but a back injury suffered while he was working for South Carolina's Department of Transportation left the family struggling to live off social security and disability checks. Hill's father went back to trucking and others pitched in to help out. Jordan had four residences and six primary caregivers before finishing high school.

"I went though a lot. It's tough," Hill said after donning a Knicks cap for the first time. "I managed to have the right people behind me and the right supporting cast behind me."

Diaw was a few inches smaller, and yes had a better handle.... Could also shoot the 3. I was thinking about impact, and contributions.... not so much their style of game.

ANYWAY.... let's not be racist, and think a small country hick cannot handle the big city... I think growing up w/out a mother is tougher than hearing chorus of boos b/c of a bad game or two.

HIll fought and earned everything he now has; while Henderson was the son of an NBA player. I LOVE DUKE, and even I say henderson is no lock to be a solid NBA player. I like him, wanted him, but didn;t think he fit this style-tempo D'ant runs. Henderson needs his rest.

I also liked Terrence Williams and Ty Lawson.

I threw up in my mouth a little when I heard HIll's name.

I just think you can't argue with the thinking- if 2-5 guys have their pros/cons, then go BIG.... Can't go wrong.

NOW, if he likes to party.... then there might be trouble. This pick will only work if he works to improve his game... BEEF UP.... all that.

"If Hill's play is even half as good as his personal story, he's going to be one tough competitor. The 6-10 power forward fought his way to the top of the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s draft class after surviving a difficult childhood that began when his mother died of breast cancer when he was 3.

His father gave up a career as a cross-country truck driver to care for Jordan and his siblings, but a back injury suffered while he was working for South Carolina's Department of Transportation left the family struggling to live off social security and disability checks. Hill's father went back to trucking and others pitched in to help out. Jordan had four residences and six primary caregivers before finishing high school.

"I went though a lot. It's tough," Hill said after donning a Knicks cap for the first time. "I managed to have the right people behind me and the right supporting cast behind me."

Diaw was a few inches smaller, and yes had a better handle.... Could also shoot the 3. I was thinking about impact, and contributions.... not so much their style of game.

ANYWAY.... let's not be racist, and think a small country hick cannot handle the big city... I think growing up w/out a mother is tougher than hearing chorus of boos b/c of a bad game or two.

HIll fought and earned everything he now has; while Henderson was the son of an NBA player. I LOVE DUKE, and even I say henderson is no lock to be a solid NBA player. I like him, wanted him, but didn;t think he fit this style-tempo D'ant runs. Henderson needs his rest.

I also liked Terrence Williams and Ty Lawson.

I threw up in my mouth a little when I heard HIll's name.

I just think you can't argue with the thinking- if 2-5 guys have their pros/cons, then go BIG.... Can't go wrong.

NOW, if he likes to party.... then there might be trouble. This pick will only work if he works to improve his game... BEEF UP.... all that.
    Racist? Racism=prejudiced against one's ethnicity. I just think he might not be prepared for NYC, judging from where he's from. It's not just getting booed. It's a huge culture shock coming from the South to one of the biggest cities in the world. I'm not saying that in and of itself will make him a bad player, it's just something to think about. I feel sorry for him because of his past, but that doesn't necessarily prepare him for what lies ahead in NYC.

Yeah, Henderson definitely has his flaws too. I would of preferred Terrance Williams over him, and Ty Lawson over both of them.

But it depends what kind of cons a prospect has. Hill's cons scream bust. Foul prone, low basketball IQ, little offensive polish, lack of defensive fundamentals, very little passing skills. A guy like Ty Lawson's cons are things like height, which can easily be overcome.

yah that makes a lot of sense. you can teach lawson to grow 5 inches, he'll be able to do that real quick...

quit your bitching already

Originally Posted by Knicker23
    yah that makes a lot of sense. you can teach lawson to grow 5 inches, he'll be able to do that real quick...

quit your bitching already
    He doesn't need to grow 5 inches dumbass. The best PG in the world, CP3, is around the same height.

It's a forum. I'm not allowed to discuss our draft pick? stfu

Racist? Racism=prejudiced against one's ethnicity. I just think he might not be prepared for NYC, judging from where he's from. It's not just getting booed. It's a huge culture shock coming from the South to one of the biggest cities in the world. I'm not saying that in and of itself will make him a bad player, it's just something to think about. I feel sorry for him because of his past, but that doesn't necessarily prepare him for what lies ahead in NYC.

Yeah, Henderson definitely has his flaws too. I would of preferred Terrance Williams over him, and Ty Lawson over both of them.

But it depends what kind of cons a prospect has. Hill's cons scream bust. Foul prone, low basketball IQ, little offensive polish, lack of defensive fundamentals, very little passing skills. A guy like Ty Lawson's cons are things like height, which can easily be overcome.
    I hear 'ya. I cringed when I heard Jordan Hill. I guess it could be worse, it might have been Jrue Holiday.

The good news, it's not like last year when Gordan was selected with the next pick. I mean, I liked Williams & Henderson as well, but it's not like they were taken 9th/10th.... They did fall back a few slots, which tells me a few other teams didn't rank them highly either.

Williams is good but is he a fit for this team, in this system? Maybe, maybe not. Henderson might have been a better fit, but TRUST ME, D'ant knows coach K really well- I'm sure they labored over this pick.

They thought HIll was the better fit.... the better player. I'm trying to look past all the negative flaws in Hill's game and focus on what he does do- he runs the floor really well, he has a mid-range jump shot and he's a quality help defender who can block shots.

The Knicks needed all those traots, and with Lee likely headed out the door, they needed a PF. A scoring big is harder to find that a PG, and their are plenty of options for the Knicks.

I mean, what if the felt/knew.... all along.... Rubio was being traded to them?

I hear 'ya. I cringed when I heard Jordan Hill. I guess it could be worse, it might have been Jrue Holiday.

The good news, it's not like last year when Gordan was selected with the next pick. I mean, I liked Williams & Henderson as well, but it's not like they were taken 9th/10th.... They did fall back a few slots, which tells me a few other teams didn't rank them highly either.

Williams is good but is he a fit for this team, in this system? Maybe, maybe not. Henderson might have been a better fit, but TRUST ME, D'ant knows coach K really well- I'm sure they labored over this pick.

They thought HIll was the better fit.... the better player. I'm trying to look past all the negative flaws in Hill's game and focus on what he does do- he runs the floor really well, he has a mid-range jump shot and he's a quality help defender who can block shots.

The Knicks needed all those traots, and with Lee likely headed out the door, they needed a PF. A scoring big is harder to find that a PG, and their are plenty of options for the Knicks.

I mean, what if the felt/knew.... all along.... Rubio was being traded to them?
    I'll try to be optimistic about Hill. You're right, at least we didn't pick Holiday. We'll see how Hill does in summer league, preseason etc. It does look like we're gonna end up with Rubio, so we're in pretty good shape. Assuming we get Rubio, our lineup looks like this:

PG-Rubio
    SG- Hughes?
    SF- Gallo
    PF- Hill
    C- Darko

Not too bad.

Id rather keep Chandler if we have the ability

Originally Posted by Knicker23
    Id rather keep Chandler if we have the ability

I'm starting to think we might get Rubio for a package like:

Nate Robinson
    Larry Hughes or Al Harrington
    Cutino Mobley
    1st rounder in 2011

MIN will get a 1st rounder back; they'll also get to wipe out 9 mil from the books this year.... They could use that money to go sign a free agent (maybe HT from ORL?)...

It probably boils down to who they like more Nate or Lee, Hughes or Harrington....

I'm sure we could do this w/out Chandler. Maybe.

Veteran

All that for Rubio?

Aren't there rules about how salaries have to match up in an NBA trade? We'd probably get Etan Thomas or somebody like that I assume. But yeah Larry Hughes and Cuttino Mobley make absolutely excellent sense for the Timberwolves; the T-Wolves need a 2 guard and Mobley's contract is basically like handing them 9 million dollars which they could use to sign Turkoglu as a SF like you said. Would you trade a draft pick for Turkoglu and Larry Hughes? Who wouldn't? Especially when those two players fill your BIGGEST NEEDS

If Minnesota gets a starting lineup of:

PG - Flynn
    SG - Hughes
    SF - Turkoglu
    PF - Jefferson
    C - Love

(I'm not sure whom they play at PF and C but whatever). That'd be quite the intimidating starting lineup if I do say so myself, that'd easily throw them into playoff contention. Sigh, hopefully Kahn pulls the trigger on it, he has little to gain by sitting around and waiting for two years for Rubio when he can get himself Larry Hughes, Turkoglu, and Nate Robinson, three players who fill glaringly huge gaps in the T-Wolves' lineup

I think that's the extent NY will go... NO MORE. I doubt they even toss in Chandler into the mix- from what we've read, the Knicks don't love Rubio.... Sure, they'll pursue him but they want go ga-ga and druel over him.

SO, they wont beg.

I'm starting to think we might get Rubio for a package like:

Nate Robinson
    Larry Hughes or Al Harrington
    Cutino Mobley
    1st rounder in 2011

MIN will get a 1st rounder back; they'll also get to wipe out 9 mil from the books this year.... They could use that money to go sign a free agent (maybe HT from ORL?)...

It probably boils down to who they like more Nate or Lee, Hughes or Harrington....

I'm sure we could do this w/out Chandler. Maybe.

As good as that sounds, it won't work. The Knicks would have to take back 25+ million in salaries...The Wolves would be giving up half their team and Al Jefferson, which obviously they won't do.

The only way we get Rubio is to S&T Nate and Will, for Rubio and someone like Cardinal or Corey Brewer...

Originally Posted by LOIOSH30
    As good as that sounds, it won't work. The Knicks would have to take back 25+ million in salaries...The Wolves would be giving up half their team and Al Jefferson, which obviously they won't do.

The only way we get Rubio is to S&T Nate and Will, for Rubio and someone like Cardinal or Corey Brewer...
    Nah, Etan Thomas has a 7.5 mil contract that can be used to balance.