Official Tony Douglas Thread

mafra

Legend
He can score, he rebounds, he plays defense, he raises his game against tougher competition.... He might be a tad small to plat 2-guard? He's very good though.... He beat UNC.

He should replace Nate... If we get Rubio.... The drafting of Toney is even better.

portega1968

El Cacique
me like the pick mucho

mr. pringles has his barbosa

TONEY DOUGLAS
www.nbadraft.net profile

NBA Comparison: Charlie Bell/Ben Gordon

Florida State Senior, 6-2, 183, Hometown: Jonesboro, GA

Strengths: A strong bodied combo guard who has played extremely well at the end of his college career … Plays the transition game … Enjoys pushing the tempo, attacking early in the shotclock and not allowing the defense to get set … Has the ability to play at a high pace without making many mistakes … Takes contact well, using his body to keep his balance and finish … Has the strength and willingness to outmuscle smaller defenders inside … Gets to the line on a regular basis and converts on a good percentage (80%) … Nothing flashy off the dribble, but very steady and crafty using change of pace moves to keep the defenders guessing … Has a knack for making tough and contested shots with regularity … Has a quick and smooth pull up jumper going both ways as well as a nice step back to create space … Shooting stroke is very efficient and he has good balance and elevation … His ability to attack in various ways allows him to play the pick and roll game well, he reads his options and probes the openings … Defensively, understands team principles and plays very disciplined, yet knows when to gamble and get into the passing lanes … Has a low center of gravity and moves his feet well, which makes it difficult for opposing guards to get their shoulders by …

Weaknesses: Not very athletic … Mediocre first step and limited open court speed hinder his ability to get by people … Relies heavily on the P&R game to get into the paint … Plays between positions, but does not posses the playmaking and vision or the size and explosiveness to ever assume full time duty at either guard spot … His turnover numbers have always been even with his assists, which is a knock on his ability to distribute as well as take care of the ball … It may be because he was asked to carry the scoring load, but he has not shown much in terms of creating for others … Even though he was a defensive stopper in college, because of his physical deficiencies he may struggle matching up with the quicker point guards, or the bigger and more athletic wings in the NBA …

NYKnicks15

Starter
very good pick to replace Nate and eventually Duhon as soon as we make a trade. everything we need in a backup PG. smart move to scoop him up.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
nothing more then a solid back up point

i was screaming for sam young with this pick. hes gonna be one of the steals of the draft along with his teammate blair. neither had no buisness dropping that low

jpz17

Starter
why do you always have to post a second topic about everything? When there is already a topic posted go to that one. Your not in charge around here. Rady doesn't like double threads

richtree

Rotation player
I thought there were other players that had more upside here, but I think Mikey D wanted a PG/SG out of this pick and kind of forced it a little.

I think this pick may be proof the Nate could be on the way out the door

nixon7

Benchwarmer
It's the defense stoopyd

I like Rubio, Evans, and SCurry as much as the next guy, but let's face it, the Knicks were already scoring 105 per game, and that was without a healthy DGal.

What they need is shot-blocking, defense, grit, and toughness - which is what they get in JHill and TDouglas - not even more offense. Plus these guys are not total slugs on offense, they just aren't SCurry.

Darko is a bit of a gamble but not when you consider the price (QRich) and the upside in terms of shot-blocking and having a center with some mobility on the defensive end, and another six fouls to use on Howard and Shaq. I still expect them to make a run at Gortat (which becomes even more viable now that Orlando has to pay VCarter), and try to find a true PG. If they cannot get Gortat with the exception, maybe they can use Lee or Robinson to get a double-sign-and-trade deal done (i.e., both teams sign and then swap)???

I like the direction whether the Knicks resign Lee and/or Robinson at reasonable (non-max) contracts, end up sign-and-trading them for a true PG and/or Gortat, or just losing them because someone else massively over-pays them.

The only real major issue left is whether ECurry loses 40 lbs and gets in shape, or they still have to find a way to dump him. If he doesn't get in shape they could use him as the designated flagrant foul guy (who cares if he gets suspended) which would really make David Stern piss his pants.

Tony Douglas is a great pick!

He may not be Steph Curry or Eric Maynor or Rubio. You dont just draft super stars with the 29th pick. We got a real good back up PG. Someone who will ome off the bench and get there nose dirty. He can score at will, a great scoring PG. He will be taught how to see the floor and pass, because that is a lot easier to do than create for yourself. Just look how he did vs the best of the best also knowing he was doubled quickly because he was florida states best player.

Vs levance Fields of Pitt: 1-10 10 pts.

Douglas: 6-15 20 pts

Vs Ty Lason of UNC:6-7 21 pts

Douglas:9-20 32 pts

Vs Jeff Teague of Wake: 3-13 15 pts

Douglas: 8-19 22 points

and vs Duke he averaged about 25 pts a game.

So the kid can play, he can score, and most importantly he can defend. Those are great stats vs 3 top PG's. He can shoot the three, but all we have to do is get him learning in Dantonis system which he will be fine in because the pg's can run wild. He is not a passer, but that is something you can teach in dantonis system. He could be a great backup PG.

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5pKslHoYaQ

Nice game film of him playing against UNC. Takes a lot of difficult shots, but appears to have the ability to make them -at least over college players-. Average size at 6-2. Great Defender in college, but likely only a Good defender in the Pro's (which is still an upgrade for us, think Mardy Collins). Probably performs as well as D Nichols for us in the Summer League, but as we know that doesnt mean much.

Best Case Scenerio: Eddie House w/ Slightly Better PG Skills

EddieHouse_300_051118.jpg

Worst Case: Anthony Robertson

roberson08in.jpg

Knicks Dream Scenerio: Ben Gordon w/ better D and PG Skills

ben-gordon121.jpg

mafra

Legend
Can Douglas with his 6'2" actually play as a shooting guard? I get the feeling that he'd have a problem on defense...

ACC's defensive player of the year. He's not a lock-down 1-on-1 defenisve player.... but he's very strong. His problem wont be his height, but his athleticism to keep up with SGs.

BUT, I imagine he's a rotation player, who will come off the bench and provide an offensive spark, while playing defense at the same time. MIght not have the offense as Nate, but he is a more complete player.

metrocard

Legend
Better shooter than Nate.

Douglas is 100% a SG...he shouldnt be running the PG position.

Who cares if he's 6"2?

Whats a 3 inch difference really? He's 205 lbs and strong as an ox.

mafra

Legend
"He's one of the steals in the draft," said the Pistons director of player personnel George David. "I thought he'd be 18, 19, 20. That kid is not a 29th pick. He's a big-time scorer and lockdown defender."

(via NY POST 7/28)

Not bad!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we got ourselves Nate Robinson's replacement fellas

this dude is going to be a monster off the bench, his defense is lockdown. and his offense is sizzling cant wait to see this dude play.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
So he's like Nate Robinson with defense and better shooting? He's not as athletic as Nate is, but his defense is so much better by leaps and bounds.

He is a great player. He will be such a good asset to have off our bench. If he learns how to pass and run a team he may be a very scary player. But for now can spot up and hit a shot from anywhere on the court, is lethal in transition and was the ACC defensive player of the year. Just ask pitt's lavance fields what he thinks of him when he held him to 1-10 shooting for the game.

Paul1355

All Star
I think he is a sleeper in this draft and i believe Eric Snow said the same on NBA TV.

Douglas averaged 21 ppg and was the ACC defensive player of the year so that is saying something. I also heard from a scout that if the draft wasn't so deep with PG's that Douglas would have gone earlier in the draft...maybe even late lottery selection.

He also averaged 26 ppg against Duke and some other good Florida team which shows that he can be just as good against harder pro-like competition.

All that said, I can expect Douglas to be a good player that will hustle and play good D and hopefully be a clutch Eddie House type of PG or even more.