Source: Lee Leaving New York

smokes

Huge Member
A source told Ken Berger that he believes David Lee's days as a Knick are over. Agent Mark Bartelstein will reportedly have Lee sign an offer sheet with the Grizzlies or Thunder that the Knicks will not be willing to match.

"It's a tough loss for New York, but they don't want to screw up their 2010 plan," the source said.

That would be really nice of him, screw us out of OJ Mayo and then piss off to Memphis anyway!

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60223/20090630/source_lee_leaving_new_york/

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
That would be really nice of him, screw us out of OJ Mayo and then piss off to Memphis anyway!

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60223/20090630/source_lee_leaving_new_york/

If Walsh let's Lee walk with out getting something in return; then that's a poor job on his part!! I've been saying all along that Lee was looking for 10 a year for 5-6 years and he is NOT worth it!! Walsh's 7 Mil a year is about right and while his numbers are very good; they are not a true representation of his talent. His numbers are bloated; he can not stop anyone he plays against. Lee is a true 6th man! But, if he will walk, then Walsh needs to get on the phone and get a sign and trade going ASAP. I would call the Hawks and see if we could do one for Josh Smith. The other thing is this pipe dream that we will be able to sign LaBron or Kobe nest season; it is not going to happen; Mark my words!! LaBron will resign with the Cavs by mid-season and so will Kobe with LA. The Knicks need to give up this dream and use their chips right now to get some talent here! Darko, Hughes and Harrington all have expiring contract that they can use to get someone here now. Lee is the perfect sign and trade bait... Walsh needs to step up here; this is a critical off season for him!

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Just let him walk since it would be difficult to get back expiring contracts for him with the economic times society and the NBA are facing! If you were Lee, and you saw how draft day went do you really think he felt he was coming back? Its a smart move for him and a good one for us, in which we don't take any more contracts. This is going perfect, and Walsh knows he can't **** our 2010 plan up. And its not even about Lebron, but there are other players too and we have the perfect coach, arena, city, president to lure possible free agents to our Knicks. Dammit I can't wait for our Knicks to make some noise in the playoffs!

iSaYughh

Starter
****ing punk if he goes to Memphis after self-raping the franchise out of Mayo...we've maxed out Lee's value and his value to the team itself is maxed -- would've been nice to utilize this for some return going forward....Thunder be a super sick, fun team of the future if they do get him....

skelos

Rookie
What does this mean? I don't get it!

Last offseason when they were trying to trading him to memphis for cardinal and a 1st he stated he would refusee to resign with memphis pretty much the deal breaker. The deal was rose and lee for cardinal and the 5th pick.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I propose the next time we play against whatever team David Lee is on we find a way to give him a career ending injury if this is true. He screwed us out of OJ Mayo, and now is going to sign with the team that he claimed he wasn't going to re-sign with?

If he goes to some other team than whatever, but if he signs with Memphis...I'll kill him.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
We had a trade to Memphis last year that would have gotten us the pick that got OJ Mayo in the draft, but it got shot down when Lee said he wouldn't resign with Memphis if he got traded there.

Thanks for the info, I remember the proposed deal now! It was during the 2008 draft. I have no hard feelings with Lee signing with however he wants and long as I don't have to see his sorry self playing defense I'm alright watching my Knicks next year.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Why not sign and trade?

OK explain this to me

What if Memphis of OKC signs Lee to an offer sheet more than what Walsh wants to pay, can't we just match that salary and immediatley send David to another team?

So for instance they sign him to a sheet for 10 million which is more than what we want to pay, but, would be fine by Portland. So we match then trade him to Portland.

I don't know if that is how the sign and trade works

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Problem is if we don't want David Lee and Portland isn't willing to take on whatever we sign him for, we're stuck with him. And like it or not he's not a part of the Knicks' 2010 plans. I'm betting that no team is going to pay him that much, though. NBA scouts aren't stupid, they look around, and anybody that's seen David Lee play knows that he's an absolute wet paper bag on defense and is pretty much effective only as a scorer off the bench. He's one-dimensional, doesn't really make a difference when it comes to rebounding (despite his high number of rebounds the Knicks don't grab any more boards with him there than with him not there as a team in total), and goodness is his defense freaking awful. Any team that offers him over 10 million a year is just asking for trouble

this is the best news ive heard all summer, i dont care where he goes, as long as its not in a knicks uniform..over rated, double doubles inflated on a horrible team, the focal point of a porous defensive team, and scores most of his baskets on easy put backs because Mike D's offense helps the perimeter players put up so many threes the paint is always wide open. GEtttt rid of this guy and his lil flip wannabe mid range jumper.

im excited.

LEEE Is gone.

Coastyn

Rookie
this is the best news ive heard all summer, i dont care where he goes, as long as its not in a knicks uniform..over rated, double doubles inflated on a horrible team, the focal point of a porous defensive team, and scores most of his baskets on easy put backs because Mike D's offense helps the perimeter players put up so many threes the paint is always wide open. GEtttt rid of this guy and his lil flip wannabe mid range jumper.

im excited.

LEEE Is gone.

Damn..I like Lee..he hustles..hopefully this jordan hill guy is better