Knicks 2009 (not 2010)

Where's your head at?

• Total voters

Dirk

Benchwarmer
In nearly every thread I read on here someone is running thier mouth off about 2010 and this vision of Lebron James/Chris Bosh signing for the Knicks and automatically we become the beasts of the East, championships handed to us because we will just be too good, all the other teams will just bail out cause we have Lebron etc etc. Why do we have to skip over an entire year? Why not concentrate on now rather than 2010? Why can't you just support your team? I refuse to look toward 2010, it defeats the whole purpose of being a "fan". I believe the Knicks can win the NBA championship in 2009. If I didn't believe that then I may as well not call myself a Knick fan. Who's to say that under the right leadership we can't go the distance? I'm a realist though, the chances of us actually winning the whole thing is probably like an 8% chance. However I don't want to hang my coat on Lebron James joining the Knicks. Would I like it to happen? yes. Will it happen, I have no f**king idea. Go Knicks 2009.

Some things to take into consideration:

- What's the chances Lebron will sign for the Knicks?
- What's the chances we have a good team by the time he supposedly sign
- What happens if he signs an extension with Cleveland halfway through the season, then what the f**k happens to "2010" and blowing a whole 2009 season trying to get in position
- What's the chances if he does sign we can sign any other good free agent
- If he does sign how does that guarantee us championships, Cleveland didnt go to the finals, the Lakers and the Magic did

F**k 2010, I'm not going to dream. 2009 is the only year I'm thinking of. Agree? Disagree?

KBlack25

Starter
In nearly every thread I read on here someone is running thier mouth off about 2010 and this vision of Lebron James/Chris Bosh signing for the Knicks and automatically we become the beasts of the East, championships handed to us because we will just be too good, all the other teams will just bail out cause we have Lebron etc etc. Why do we have to skip over an entire year? Why not concentrate on now rather than 2010? Why can't you just support your team? I refuse to look toward 2010, it defeats the whole purpose of being a "fan". I believe the Knicks can win the NBA championship in 2009. If I didn't believe that then I may as well not call myself a Knick fan. Who's to say that under the right leadership we can't go the distance? I'm a realist though, the chances of us actually winning the whole thing is probably like an 8% chance. However I don't want to hang my coat on Lebron James joining the Knicks. Would I like it to happen? yes. Will it happen, I have no f**king idea. Go Knicks 2009.

Some things to take into consideration:

- What's the chances Lebron will sign for the Knicks?
- What's the chances we have a good team by the time he supposedly sign
- What happens if he signs an extension with Cleveland halfway through the season, then what the f**k happens to "2010" and blowing a whole 2009 season trying to get in position
- What's the chances if he does sign we can sign any other good free agent
- If he does sign how does that guarantee us championships, Cleveland didnt go to the finals, the Lakers and the Magic did

F**k 2010, I'm not going to dream. 2009 is the only year I'm thinking of. Agree? Disagree?

Dirk? Is that you?

well i am a huge knick fan, but i am also being real

the knicks do not care about this year so i hope they make trades to get better for this year while freeing up space for next year...signing AI or trading for T-Mac would cover those two goals.

I want to see them in the playoffs because I love them so much (and because i dont want the Jazz to have a good pick)

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I agree.Although I do think the moves they make for this year should be for 2010 on as long as the trades don't lessen the team.

I do get bothered by the 2010 talk though, mainly cause of James.I do not want him on the Knicks.Knicks in the 90s wouldn't have been as exciting as they were if they had Jordan.It was a lot more fun seeing the Knicks beat him and the Bulls.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
There are many really good free agents in 2010. It's not all about Lebron, Bosh and Wade. We could get several really good players (all-stars, not superstars) for the price of Lebron. Getting well below the cap for 2010 is a good strategy.

I still think we can get some good pieces this offseason (Fernandez, a PG, Odom, etc.) and sign multiple all-stars in 2010. It would be nice to make the playoffs this year.

It all rides on getting rid of Curry and/or Jeffries though. If we get rid of them everything will fall into place. If not...well lets not think about that.

Dirk

Benchwarmer
I'd hate to think that the Knicks franchise "don't care" about 2009 though. It's a disrespect to fans and the game as a whole.

kblack25 yes it's me Dirk. I came on here posing as an illiterate German kid just for kicks and to see how fellow Knicks fans would take it. I'm actually irish but have lived in NY around 10 years. Been a Knick fan since the mid 80's.

Anyone know where I can my hands on that green Kryptonate jersey?

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
The "2010 plan" is flawed. Donnie Walsh himself is not even planning things out with a 2010 plan in mind. He's basically making moves to make this team better.

Blumatic

Rotation player
We all know the 2010 thing is not guaranteed. But the same people who criticize Walsh for going after the 2010 agents would be the same people who would ridicule him for not trying hard enough.

If the Knicks were smart to disband this team after 2002. We might have had a shot at the 2003 draft with higher pick. Probably would have gotten Wade.

So Walsh is giving his all for 2010 to set us up for the next decade.

This "let's try to win now" thing was what the Knicks tried to do but we just ended up adding salary. Let's try to go for a 10 year run here.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Can someone tell me why Sprewell and Camby were traded and how it went down?Back then is around the time I wasn't watching basketball much anymore and usually didn't watch the regular season much either before then unlike now where I watch all the Knicks games.

Do you think Sprewell might be still playing if they kept him?Seems like trading him was one of the worst trades ever.From what I remember reading it wasn't even for anything special.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
DIRK, HOW THE HELL DID THE LAKERS END UP WITH SHAQ?
Well they free up money before the 1996-1997 season by trading all their high priced players. They even traded Divac to Charlotte Hornets for Kobe Bryant in a cost cutting move at the time. We need to prepare too and at least give us a chance on a Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade. We got the most attractive coach in the NBA and the brightest mind in the NBA in Walsh and D'antoni. I'm very optimistic we get at least one great player and then getting the necessary role players that complement him and our system.

What us you want us to do Dirk? Get Jason Kidd to a ridiculous contract, re-sign Lee and Nate to absurd contracts? We went through this with Isiah and Walsh plan of freeing up cap to lure Lebron here is so important because we at least have a chance.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Can someone tell me why Sprewell and Camby were traded and how it went down?Back then is around the time I wasn't watching basketball much anymore and usually didn't watch the regular season much either before then unlike now where I watch all the Knicks games.

Do you think Sprewell might be still playing if they kept him?Seems like trading him was one of the worst trades ever.From what I remember reading it wasn't even for anything special.

Camby was included in a draft day trade with the Nuggets by sending him with Nene Hilario (7th pick overall) and Mark Jackson for Antonio Mcdyess and Frank Williams (25th pick overall) in 2002.

Mcdyess got hurt in an exhibition game on a put back spectacular dunk in the garden in which he tore up his Knee making him miss 2 straigh seasons. Frank Williams was horrible for us, he wouldn't even hit the rim when he actually got in the court.

This was a one sided trade, by us giving the Nuggets two 6'11 power forwards that rebound and block so many shots. This trade was done by Scott Layden our GM at the time.

The Spreewell trade went like this in 2004: A 4 team trade.

The Timberwolves send guard Terrell Brandon to the Atlanta Hawks and center Marc Jackson to the Philadelphia 76ers. Atlanta sends forward Glenn Robinson to Philadelphia and receives Brandon. Philadelphia sends forward Keith Van Horn to New York and receives Robinson and Jackson. Finally, New York sends Sprewell to Minnesota and receives Van Horn.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I don't think it's so much that he's against getting cap space, I think it's that we should also think about 2009 and 2009 only a lot.Looking toward the future is important, but when the 2009 season begins, we should be cheering them on to go FAR that season whether the chances are big or slim.Remember when we got D'Antoni?We were excited for a chance at Playoffs.Yeah, people were still looking foward to 2010 also, but each year should be treated as a special season.I want people to be looking forward to a Garden Playoff crowd in 2009.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I don't think it's so much that he's against getting cap space, I think it's that we should also think about 2009 and 2009 only a lot.Looking toward the future is important, but when the 2009 season begins, we should be cheering them on to go FAR that season whether the chances are big or slim.Remember when we got D'Antoni?We were excited for a chance at Playoffs.Yeah, people were still looking foward to 2010 also, but each year should be treated as a special season.I want people to be looking forward to a Garden Playoff crowd in 2009.

Yo, good post.

2009 is important to 2010.

Because our 09-10 record will determine our 2010 free agent chances. I mean, would Joe Johnson want to play for a Knicks team that has Kidd, young talent, and a 36-46 record? Sure. Would he want to play with a 48-34 Knicks team with that. Even more.

Point is, we can't blow this season. it is very integral to our overall objective.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Van Horn?Why?I haven't seen much of him, but I know he never achieved what Sprewell did.What was the purpose of that?Stupidity?

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Van Horn?Why?I haven't seen much of him, but I know he never achieved what Sprewell did.What was the purpose of that?Stupidity?

At the time Spreewell had a feud with team owner Dolan and was urging Scott Laydumb to trade him. The Knicks were playing very well with Van Horn in the 2003-2004 season and messed everything up when they traded for Marbury given Phoenix so much cap room to help them get Steve Nash following offseason. The point is when Marbury got to NY he quicky ask Isiah to trade Van Horn who he didn't like from their New Jersey Nets days. The Knicks trade Horn for Tim Thomas and even though the team made the playoffs, we ****ed our future up since we gave the Suns 3 expiring contracts in Eisley, Wark, Mcdyess, also rights to Milos Vujanic, 1st Round Pick Macie Lampe while also dumping Penny Hardaway's 42 million dollars left of his contract on us. Marbury had 76 million left on that deal that the Knicks have finally got out from when his contract was bought out last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqKfhLxUUQ

This is Van Horn's first game with the Knicks.

Keith Van Horn played for the Knicks half a season, but in the end Spreewell antics were his demised even playing with the Wolves. The guy was a head case even with all the talent in the world. At the time the Knicks needed to make a change and get good guys here.

Last edited: