Thread: Walsh Interested in Boozer

Hybrid View

Default Walsh Interested in Boozer

CARLOS BOOZER HAS KNICKS BUZZING
    LEE, NATE DEALS MUST HAPPEN SOON

By MARC BERMAN

LAS VEGAS -- Donnie Walsh says he has intensified negotiations with David Lee and Nate Robinson, and indicated if something isn't done this week, it may not happen at all.

The Knicks president also acknowledged interest in trading for on-the-block Jazz All-Star forward Carlos Boozer, who could more than replace Lee. But it seems a long shot because several teams, including the Bulls, are involved. A three-team deal has been discussed for the Bulls' Kirk Hinrich. Boozer averaged 20.2 points and 13.4 rebounds last season.

KNICKS BLOG

BERMAN ON TWITTER

"I'm not sure we have anybody they want," Walsh said of the Jazz.

According to a source, Walsh loves Boozer's inside game and his contract, which has just one year left on it. Walsh believes Boozer will be traded and has spoken to the Jazz.

"Everyone knows the Knicks are after one-year contracts," the source said.

The Jazz are contemplating matching a $32 million offer sheet to their own free agent, Paul Millsap, only if they can deal Boozer, a rugged power forward. Boozer has one year and $12.6M left on his pact, and the Knicks would own his Bird rights if they wanted to re-sign the All-Star power forward in 2010. The Knicks' best pawn is the expiring pact of retired Cuttino Mobley, which is covered mostly by insurance.

Since the Knicks were rejected by Grant Hill, Walsh is zeroing in on Lee, though a major road block still seems to exist with agent Mark Bartelstein's asking price of at least $10 million a year.

Robinson, also without an offer sheet, is more likely to sign a one-year qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent next season.

"I've talked to both agents and it's going to be ongoing this week," Walsh said. "(We've) gotten the other way, trying to deal with them ourselves. If that doesn't work, maybe we go another direction after that. If it's not getting done now, it's not getting done."

The Knicks' thinking on Boozer is he would increase the likelihood of another star free agent coming aboard in 2010, though Walsh likely would have to gain more cap space.

Bartelstein said he has spoken to the Jazz about Lee, but would not say if it included a sign-and-trade scenario with Boozer. Bartelstein has spoken to multiple teams about sign-and-trades, but the Knicks would only do it if the player coming back has a one-year contract or is an All-Star.

Walsh won't say he's confident he can sign Lee.

"It's up to them," Walsh said.

Portland was the last team under the cap interested in Lee and it's thrown its money at Millsap.

"Trades can change everything," Walsh said. "It can clear room and now somebody not figuring on putting an offer sheet can if they get the room."

But Walsh admitted his chances have increased since July 1.

"I sense the market is not dying to be throwing big numbers out," Walsh said.

The Knicks' summer league team plays its first game today vs. Memphis. The Knicks' Jordan Hill has shown flashes during three days of summer-league practice, while their other first-rounder, Toney Douglas, selected 29th, has been exceptional.

Walsh said he believes Douglas has a great chance of being their backup point guard this season.

Eddy Curry showed up a second day but only did drills, declining to scrimmage, and will not play today. Though he's lost 30 pounds, Curry is still a reported 328, which means he ballooned to 358 at season's end.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Would be a nice replacement for Lee if he's let go. Plus, it won't hurt our 2010 cap plan and we could resign him in 2010 after we sign another all-star free agent.

Eddy Curry showed up a second day but only did drills, declining to scrimmage, and will not play today. Though he's lost 30 pounds, Curry is still a reported 328, which means he ballooned to 358 at season's end.

What the... 358 POUNDS?!? Fatass...

I have not been a fan of Boozer.

He seems to always be interested in money rather then the team, the game, or winning.

He is a half court player too, so I do not know how he will do run and gunning I.E. Elton Brand. He might mess with our chemistry.

Our chemistry? What?

Originally Posted by jeckomaru
    He is a half court player too, so I do not know how he will do run and gunning I.E. Elton Brand. He might mess with our chemistry.
    D'Antoni's system also uses a lot of pick-and-roll, which Boozer is good at.

I kind of like this deal. If we're going to lose Lee anyway, Boozer can provide everything Lee can plus some. And his contract is perfect for the 2010 plan.

Please Donnie, not another Dukie...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Utah Jazz: Boozer tells Chicago radio he expects a trade

Jazz power forward Carlos Boozer told a Chicago radio station today that he expects to soon be traded, and that he'll be happy if he is.

According to a transcript from WMVP 1000-AM, the ESPN affiliate in Chicago, Boozer — who has not spoken to Utah media since the Jazz's season ended in late April — said this when asked if he thought he'd be dealt: "Yeah I do. I had a talk with the Jazz. The Jazz told me they want to go in a different direction and I respect their decision. We mutually agreed to work out a trade that was beneficial for them and beneficial for my family and me. So with that being said, I'm gonna be traded relatively soon or in good time."

Rumors circulating today have Chicago, Miami, New York and Detroit among potential destinations for Boozer, a two-time NBA All-Star who has been on the trade block since he decided late last month to opt in for the final year and $12.65 million on his current contract with the Jazz.

"We'll see what happens," Boozer said when asked by the radio station if Chicago is his favored destination.

"I mean I'd love to be a part of the Chicago Bulls," he added. "A lot of that lays in the Utah Jazz hands, but we'll see what they wanna do and hopefully I'll do what's best for me as well. If it happens I'll be very happy."

-------------

Looks like LEE for BOOZER might be realistic.