Walsh Interested in Boozer

LJ4ptplay

Starter
CARLOS BOOZER HAS KNICKS BUZZING
LEE, NATE DEALS MUST HAPPEN SOON

By MARC BERMAN

LAS VEGAS -- Donnie Walsh says he has intensified negotiations with David Lee and Nate Robinson, and indicated if something isn't done this week, it may not happen at all.

The Knicks president also acknowledged interest in trading for on-the-block Jazz All-Star forward Carlos Boozer, who could more than replace Lee. But it seems a long shot because several teams, including the Bulls, are involved. A three-team deal has been discussed for the Bulls' Kirk Hinrich. Boozer averaged 20.2 points and 13.4 rebounds last season.

KNICKS BLOG

BERMAN ON TWITTER

"I'm not sure we have anybody they want," Walsh said of the Jazz.

According to a source, Walsh loves Boozer's inside game and his contract, which has just one year left on it. Walsh believes Boozer will be traded and has spoken to the Jazz.

"Everyone knows the Knicks are after one-year contracts," the source said.

The Jazz are contemplating matching a $32 million offer sheet to their own free agent, Paul Millsap, only if they can deal Boozer, a rugged power forward. Boozer has one year and $12.6M left on his pact, and the Knicks would own his Bird rights if they wanted to re-sign the All-Star power forward in 2010. The Knicks' best pawn is the expiring pact of retired Cuttino Mobley, which is covered mostly by insurance.

Since the Knicks were rejected by Grant Hill, Walsh is zeroing in on Lee, though a major road block still seems to exist with agent Mark Bartelstein's asking price of at least $10 million a year.

Robinson, also without an offer sheet, is more likely to sign a one-year qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent next season.

"I've talked to both agents and it's going to be ongoing this week," Walsh said. "(We've) gotten the other way, trying to deal with them ourselves. If that doesn't work, maybe we go another direction after that. If it's not getting done now, it's not getting done."

The Knicks' thinking on Boozer is he would increase the likelihood of another star free agent coming aboard in 2010, though Walsh likely would have to gain more cap space.

Bartelstein said he has spoken to the Jazz about Lee, but would not say if it included a sign-and-trade scenario with Boozer. Bartelstein has spoken to multiple teams about sign-and-trades, but the Knicks would only do it if the player coming back has a one-year contract or is an All-Star.

Walsh won't say he's confident he can sign Lee.

"It's up to them," Walsh said.

Portland was the last team under the cap interested in Lee and it's thrown its money at Millsap.

"Trades can change everything," Walsh said. "It can clear room and now somebody not figuring on putting an offer sheet can if they get the room."

But Walsh admitted his chances have increased since July 1.

"I sense the market is not dying to be throwing big numbers out," Walsh said.

The Knicks' summer league team plays its first game today vs. Memphis. The Knicks' Jordan Hill has shown flashes during three days of summer-league practice, while their other first-rounder, Toney Douglas, selected 29th, has been exceptional.

Walsh said he believes Douglas has a great chance of being their backup point guard this season.

Eddy Curry showed up a second day but only did drills, declining to scrimmage, and will not play today. Though he's lost 30 pounds, Curry is still a reported 328, which means he ballooned to 358 at season's end.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07142009/sports/knicks/lee__nate_deals_must_happen_soon_179098.htm

Would be a nice replacement for Lee if he's let go. Plus, it won't hurt our 2010 cap plan and we could resign him in 2010 after we sign another all-star free agent.

smokes

Huge Member
Eddy Curry showed up a second day but only did drills, declining to scrimmage, and will not play today. Though he's lost 30 pounds, Curry is still a reported 328, which means he ballooned to 358 at season's end.

What the... 358 POUNDS?!? Fatass...

Blas

Benchwarmer
I have not been a fan of Boozer.

He seems to always be interested in money rather then the team, the game, or winning.

He is a half court player too, so I do not know how he will do run and gunning I.E. Elton Brand. He might mess with our chemistry.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
He is a half court player too, so I do not know how he will do run and gunning I.E. Elton Brand. He might mess with our chemistry.

D'Antoni's system also uses a lot of pick-and-roll, which Boozer is good at.

I kind of like this deal. If we're going to lose Lee anyway, Boozer can provide everything Lee can plus some. And his contract is perfect for the 2010 plan.

mafra

Legend
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...adio-he-expects-a-trade.html?linkTrack=rss-43

Utah Jazz: Boozer tells Chicago radio he expects a trade

Jazz power forward Carlos Boozer told a Chicago radio station today that he expects to soon be traded, and that he'll be happy if he is.

According to a transcript from WMVP 1000-AM, the ESPN affiliate in Chicago, Boozer — who has not spoken to Utah media since the Jazz's season ended in late April — said this when asked if he thought he'd be dealt: "Yeah I do. I had a talk with the Jazz. The Jazz told me they want to go in a different direction and I respect their decision. We mutually agreed to work out a trade that was beneficial for them and beneficial for my family and me. So with that being said, I'm gonna be traded relatively soon or in good time."

Rumors circulating today have Chicago, Miami, New York and Detroit among potential destinations for Boozer, a two-time NBA All-Star who has been on the trade block since he decided late last month to opt in for the final year and $12.65 million on his current contract with the Jazz.

"We'll see what happens," Boozer said when asked by the radio station if Chicago is his favored destination.

"I mean I'd love to be a part of the Chicago Bulls," he added. "A lot of that lays in the Utah Jazz hands, but we'll see what they wanna do and hopefully I'll do what's best for me as well. If it happens I'll be very happy."

-------------

Looks like LEE for BOOZER might be realistic.

BernardKing

Rookie
I proposed DLee + Jeffries for Boozer in another thread 3 days ago. I got "laughed at" for even suggesting it...

Here's what I posted:http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=97901#post97901
Interesting thread. Utah is on my list of possible Lee destinations via sign-and-trade, but I want to dump salary in the process.

Utah was hoping to unload Boozer in that 3/way deal that just fell through. That could?ve prevented the Millsap offer sheet, because it could've given Utah leeway to extend Millsap themselves (possibly for lower $$$)...

Now Millsap is signed to a hefty offer sheet, and Utah can?t realistically match it because that'll put them about 13.5 mil over the luxury tax threshold. It's too bad for them, because they were hoping for Millsap to replace Boozer as their starting power forward for years to come...

No Millsap, means Utah needs their power forward of the future. Boozer is entering the final year of his deal, and they?re trying to trade him. They want to get under the luxury tax threshold (they're about 3.5 mil over).

OK, here?s what I propose:

DLee + Jeffries for Boozer

They get their PF of the future (Lee) and we get out from under the Jeffries contract. They also save about 4.5 mil in salary + luxury tax from this year?s cap.

AlboKnickFan

Benchwarmer
I would definitely try to get Boozer. Because first of all his contract expires next year and he is just better than Lee, Jeffries etc.

I would trade him for D.Lee and try to throw in Jefrries or Curry together with LEE.

Boozer isnt old either. :)

the portable man

Benchwarmer
anybody can do pick n rolls now days, it would be a waste of $$ to have boozer if lee goes especially when Hill and Wilcox can do it just as good...its just a play, get them open and they'll score, dont pass it as a PG if the PF or C loses space, unless they can post up, its not meteorology, its oldest trick in the book

not to mention we still have harrington and wilcox needs a few more minutes

dave2138

Rotation player
I assume Utah wants nothing to do with Lee though. They want to get rid of Boozer only because they want to keep Millsap at PF. Why trade Boozer/1 year for Lee/5years?

Now if the deal was Chandler + Mobley for Boozer..that would make a lot more sense from Utah's perspective. From the Knicks perspective, why show interest in Boozer anyway when they drafted Jordan Hill and haven't traded Al Harrington yet? Boozer seems like a bad fit and not worth the gamble of having to trade away something valuable.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I proposed DLee + Jeffries for Boozer in another thread 3 days ago. I got "laughed at" for even suggesting it...

Here's what I posted:http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=97901#post97901

And you still will get laughed at. Why would Utah want Lee and his pending multi-year contract plus Jeffries remaining contract for Boozer? They want Milsap and will match his offer sheet but want to stay out of paying luxury tax by trading Boozer's huge contract.

Your trade scenerio for Utah defeats the purpose of what they really want to do and would have to involve 3 teams.