Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phillies getting Halladay?

Originally Posted by ANU
    i heard that from adam schein on loudmouths.he might havbe been talking out his ass though.mets blog mentioned that the blue jays wanted an offer involving pelfrey.they mentioned mike Francesca said the jays wanted reyes.

are you kidding? if you have 2 number 1 pitchers who happen to be perennial cy young candidates, you're in championship contention.point blank.
    2? Whos the second? All I see is Santana.

if you add halladay, you would have 2 with santana.santana + halladay = 2.

Originally Posted by ANU
    if you add halladay, you would have 2 with santana.santana + halladay = 2.
    Ahh. But not necessarily. Pelfrey is average, Maine is coming off injury isn't he? and Perez is awful.

If two Cy Young Candidates= A Ring, the Giants would have won the world series. Or the Cardinals.

Originally Posted by StreetDreams21
    Ahh. But not necessarily. Pelfrey is average, Maine is coming off injury isn't he? and Perez is awful.

If two Cy Young Candidates= A Ring, the Giants would have won the world series. Or the Cardinals.
    either way.this team needs t get blowed up.trying to peice this disaster together is just delaying the inevitable.

Mets Need pitching, In the NL you win games with good pitching and strong defense... The mets lineup right now is ok, If you add bay it makes them legit contenders... As far as Halladay going to the phillies I'm a little shocked they would just trade Lee away for Halladay, Without Lee, lets be honest philly might not have even been in the world series. And yes we know Roy is great in the months of April-September, But can he handle October? Especially in philly with those uneducated dildo's they have for fans.

Originally Posted by ANU
    i heard that from adam schein on loudmouths.he might havbe been talking out his ass though.mets blog mentioned that the blue jays wanted an offer involving pelfrey.they mentioned mike Francesca said the jays wanted reyes.
    According to SNY, Mets GM Omar Minaya told reporters today, though he did talk to them about Roy Halladay, the Blue Jays never asked the Mets for SS Jose Reyes. -metsblog

Either Francessa has been lied to, or he's making **** up.

Default My opinion on free agency

Cliff Lee said that he wants to test free agency after his contract is up so the Phillies did the smart move right here even though Cliff Lee was awesome for them.

Phillie GM has been making some really good moves the past few seasons.

Toronto wasted Halladay unless they got future stars in the making.

Lackey to Boston pisses me off as a Yankee fan because he is tough already and now that he is with boston just makes it harder.

AND The Mets should be ashamed of themselves. I think Omar Minaya is one the worst GM's in MLB. He could have gotten Halladay for Reyes, cash and a prpospect which was reported by ESPN radio. IDK i just think Omar has his favorites.
    If the Mets don't get Bengie Molina or Jason Bay then Mets fans will once again have a losing season because the Phillies are the best team in the National league right now.

Don't be surprised if the Yankees snatch Jason Bay.

Matt Holloday does not deserve his reported 8 year contract....if he gts 8 years and 17 million which is what is a possibility, then the Cardinals have sunk any chance of signing Albert Pujols when his contract expires.

Yankees aren't interested in Bay...

Originally Posted by StreetDreams21
    Yankees aren't interested in Bay...
    they also showed no interest in Mark Texiera last year and look how that turned out.

Include the Yankees in any FA signing when they have to fill a need and a big FA is available at that position.

The fact that Halladay is off to thr NL and that Boston got Lackey is something i am extremely happy about. Lacky ain't that good really. He was decent with the Angels but that team gives you the cahnce to win with their gritt. Lackey is not a big game pitcher. I mean yeah he is consisdtend and sh!t but i am confident that AJ and Andy will outpitch him come play off time. I mean we all saw it being done this year.

I was scared that Boston would land Halladay. Him Becket and Lester would have been devastating.

Originally Posted by th3realicon
    The fact that Halladay is off to thr NL and that Boston got Lackey is something i am extremely happy about. Lacky ain't that good really. He was decent with the Angels but that team gives you the cahnce to win with their gritt. Lackey is not a big game pitcher. I mean yeah he is consisdtend and sh!t but i am confident that AJ and Andy will outpitch him come play off time. I mean we all saw it being done this year.

I was scared that Boston would land Halladay. Him Becket and Lester would have been devastating.
    Don't underestimate John Lackey....he is conssistent which is why I am worried. Atleast Halladay went on a cold streak at the end of the year to show that he is not dominate for 32 games a year.
    Lackey has a winning mentality and fits right in to the Boston Red Sox, their team is a bunch of grind-it-out players that will do anything to win.
    The Red Sox match the Yankees when it comes to rotation, may even be better.

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    AND The Mets should be ashamed of themselves. I think Omar Minaya is one the worst GM's in MLB. He could have gotten Halladay for Reyes, cash and a prpospect which was reported by ESPN radio. IDK i just think Omar has his favorites.
    If the Mets don't get Bengie Molina or Jason Bay then Mets fans will once again have a losing season because the Phillies are the best team in the National league right now.
    I feel bad for mets' fans (yeah right ) that they have such an ignorant motha****a at GM.

the reason he's not going hard after these free agents is because they're not latinos. plain and simple. It's so ****in obvious.

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Don't underestimate John Lackey....he is conssistent which is why I am worried. Atleast Halladay went on a cold streak at the end of the year to show that he is not dominate for 32 games a year.
    Lackey has a winning mentality and fits right in to the Boston Red Sox, their team is a bunch of grind-it-out players that will do anything to win.
    The Red Sox match the Yankees when it comes to rotation, may even be better.
    Not anymore, after acquiring Vasquez i would bet on our rotation as having an edge. Reasons being many. I believe CC is much better than any Boston starter. Beckett has been on the downhill lately, Lester is good and solid but i have seen him stumble on big situations many times. Lackey is a competitor yes but when i said he is not that good i meant stuff wise. His velocity is average and doesn't have a stand out pich. Gritt alone won't get it done against someone who throws 95-98 mph like AJ does. Matsuzaka is an Ok pitcher but again not better than our starters. Wakefield? I rest my case lol

Postition by possition they match like this:

Catcher: Posada > Any Boston catcher

1B: Teixeira > Martinez

2B: Pedroia > Cano (Slightly)

3B: A-Rod > Any Boston 3B (Yuk i am guessing)

SS: Jeter > Gonzales/Green

RF: Swisher = Drew

CF: Granderson > Ellsbury (Slightly)

LF: Cameron > Gardner/Anything we have now (If we resign Damon than it turns out differently)

Pitchers:

ACE: CC > Becket
    2nd: AJ > Lester (Slightly)
    3rd: Pettite = Lackey (Although on a play off game i'd take Big Game Andy over anyone in baseball)
    4th: Vasquez = Dice K
    5th: Wakefield/Buckoltz > Hughes/Joba (They are a little deeper but not better, we have the best 1, 2, 3 punch on the league)

Bullpen:
    Yankees > Boston (Hands down the pen has been our strongest last season and hasn't changed much)

Closer:
    It is almost unfair to Papelbom since he has to compete with the best closer of all time. 3 MO years.

Overall

YANKEES > boston

Originally Posted by th3realicon
    Not anymore, after acquiring Vasquez i would bet on our rotation as having an edge. Reasons being many. I believe CC is much better than any Boston starter. Beckett has been on the downhill lately, Lester is good and solid but i have seen him stumble on big situations many times. Lackey is a competitor yes but when i said he is not that good i meant stuff wise. His velocity is average and doesn't have a stand out pich. Gritt alone won't get it done against someone who throws 95-98 mph like AJ does. Matsuzaka is an Ok pitcher but again not better than our starters. Wakefield? I rest my case lol

Postition by possition they match like this:

Catcher: Posada > Any Boston catcher

1B: Teixeira > Martinez

2B: Pedroia > Cano (Slightly)

3B: A-Rod > Any Boston 3B (Yuk i am guessing)

SS: Jeter > Gonzales/Green

RF: Swisher = Drew

CF: Granderson > Ellsbury (Slightly)

LF: Cameron > Gardner/Anything we have now (If we resign Damon than it turns out differently)

Pitchers:

ACE: CC > Becket
    2nd: AJ > Lester (Slightly)
    3rd: Pettite = Lackey (Although on a play off game i'd take Big Game Andy over anyone in baseball)
    4th: Vasquez = Dice K
    5th: Wakefield/Buckoltz > Hughes/Joba (They are a little deeper but not better, we have the best 1, 2, 3 punch on the league)

Bullpen:
    Yankees > Boston (Hands down the pen has been our strongest last season and hasn't changed much)

Closer:
    It is almost unfair to Papelbom since he has to compete with the best closer of all time. 3 MO years.

Overall

YANKEES > boston
    I agree with most of your views now that Vazquez is on the team but I sent that last post when Vazquez was still an Atlanta Brave so responding now makes a difference.

Now that we have Vazquez I can say that we have a stronger rotation.

CC makes all the difference, he was so clutch last year and logged in innings like a machine.
    CC>Becket(hands down)
    Lester>AJ....people think AJ is amazing because he finally came threw in a few playoff games but Lester is dangerous...i think he's even better than Beckett since Beckett is so hot and cold.
    Pettite<lackey...lackey be="" an="" ace="" on="" most="" teams...pettite="" can="" t="" but="" pettite="" is="" very="" good="" right="" now...i="" give="" lackey="" a="" slight="" edge="" for="" his="" past="" seasons="" in="" la.=""><Lackey....Lackey is an ace on most teams and Pettite did do very well this year with lower expectations since he had a bad 2008 ending...i give lackey the advantage because of his successful years as an ace in LA
    Vazquez>dice K
    Bucholtz(as of right now) > than Joba or Hughes as a starter...lets face it, Hughes and Joba have not proven to be great starters, only great relievers.

And the Yankee bullpen destroys any other bullpen in MLB.</lackey...lackey>

Mets got Jason Bay for 4 years/66 Mil, About damn time.

This gives Beltran and Wright much needed protection,

Now they need Bengie Molina.