Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: WTF Is Going On?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    27

    Question Mark WTF Is Going On?

    New York Knicks
    OK, so the best-laid plans went out the window when those evil Golden State Warriors swooped in and carried off Stephen Curry one pick early on Draft night. Does that mean the Knicks have been frozen in paralysis since then? Unless, of course, you're thinking that the arrival of Darko Milicic is the change that NY fans can believe in.

    President Donnie Walsh is still waiting for David Lee and his agent to come down in their contract demands or come in with an offer sheet from another team that the Knicks will presumably match. Nate Robinson is flirting with Olympiakos of Greece.

    Draft picks Jordan Hill and Toney Douglas showed flashes in the Summer League, but no indication they're ready to play key roles right away. They can keep an eye on the Boozer situation, commit themselves to an up-and-coming point guard in Ramon Sessions or fall back and go with Miller. But the Knicks have to do something besides wait for the summer of 2010.


    This is from NBA.com.

    And it's absolutely right.

    What about the meantime?

    I'm sick of Donnie's secrecy personally. I like his shrudeness (spelling) in the Lee stakes, I like his smoke and mirrors when asked probing questions by annoying members of the media as well.

    But wtf is going on?

    Sessions is in, Sessions is out. N8's staying, N8's going. Curry is fit, Curry is fat.

    We're in a constant whirl pool of misinformation.

    I really want next year to be a good one for us, and all this lack of action is pretty concerning IMO. The reason being; if we lose Lee without getting someone as effective in return, we are a crap team.

    The recent thread about Gallo & Chandler being our leaders next year is ridiculous. If we don't upgrade, we'll miss the playoffs again. **** that!

  2. #2
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    This is from NBA.com.

    And it's absolutely right.

    What about the meantime?

    I'm sick of Donnie's secrecy personally. I like his shrudeness (spelling) in the Lee stakes, I like his smoke and mirrors when asked probing questions by annoying members of the media as well.

    But wtf is going on?

    Sessions is in, Sessions is out. N8's staying, N8's going. Curry is fit, Curry is fat.

    We're in a constant whirl pool of misinformation.

    I really want next year to be a good one for us, and all this lack of action is pretty concerning IMO. The reason being; if we lose Lee without getting someone as effective in return, we are a crap team.

    The recent thread about Gallo & Chandler being our leaders next year is ridiculous. If we don't upgrade, we'll miss the playoffs again. **** that!
    WHy **** that.

    I dont know what you expect walsh to do.

    I really dont, There is no one to sign, and we have no one to trade, Walsh isnt being secretive, hes being blatantly honest when he says, I dont know whats going to happen. There is nothing that can happen, so from this point on get used to the roster you see posted on nyknicks.com, and root for your team.

  3. #3
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    It really seems like Donnie doesn't know what he wants to do. He can't make up his mind. Save cap space or upgrade/keep talent.

    He must feel like there is no way he can trade Jeffries and Curry or else he would have done something by now.

    Another week of "Do-Nothing-Donnie" still doing nothing.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; Jul 26, 2009 at 09:11.

  4. #4
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    It really seems like Donnie doesn't know what he wants to do. He can't make up his mind. Save cap space or upgrade/keep talent.

    He must feel like there is no way he can trade Jeffries and Curry or else he would have done something by now.

    Another week of "Do-Nothing-Donnie" still doing nothing.
    There it is,
    he cant do anything
    he wants to do all of what your saying, but nothing is happening because nothing can happen

  5. #5
    Member Arod2k9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    447
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay;

    Another week of [B
    "Do-Nothing-Donnie" still doing nothing[/B].
    The plan is 2010 so as long as we don't compromise to contracts after that year I'm very content. Donnie is doing the right thing and holding all the cards until the right moment. By Donnie not doing anything he's actually doing more, had he been handing to the demand of Lee and his agent he would of messed up the plan. The idea is to at least give us a chance to grab two really good players in 2010 when we actually can dish out at least one max contract. We might not even grab anybody then but we have to at least give ourselves a chance to get somebody.

    As far as us freezing after Curry was taking one pick earlier is ridiculous since he is not ready either. I watched a couple of Warriors summer league games and the guy was really bad in both. He missed tons of layups and wide open 3's so that notion that he was our savior is really stupid. Curry will be a good pro but don't compare him to Reggie Miller just yet. We needed size in Hill to defend the paint and we also got Douglas who can replace Nate next season. We also got Milicic who I think will be a key player for us. He has the ability to block shots, shoot, pass all traits that Lee doesn't have in his game at the moment.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Oh Knicks fans. Im rather confused if we get so mad that nothing is done because we want to better the team or we want to change our roster on NBA 2K9.

    Sometimes the best moves are the ones not done. And I think Walsh has done an excellent job this summer. He drafted at two position we could possibly lose two players at. PF and PG/SG. That move alone gave us the choice (and being an exec is always ALWAYS about having choices) to play hard with Nate and David. Now free agency is coming to a halt. NO ONE has considerable cap space minus the Oklahoma City Thunder and Memphis (kinda) who already snabbed Zach Randolph. I believe the ball is in our court on David and Nate. And we did not have to meet any 12 million dollar contract stipulations.

    We also have Eddy working out. Let me repeat that.. EDDY CURRY and WORKING OUT in the same sentence. even better.. Donnie got the Houston Rockets to watch one of his work outs. smart move? Id think so.

    We are also pursuing Ramon Sessions who can quite possibly be a starter in this league for years and years. And we jump scared anytime the media mentions anything about him and not coming here. Look a lot goes into offering someone a contract especially when we are trying to save for next year.. you know, the year LeBron and them all could become free agents... You also have to understand we are playing negotiations with ourselves people!!! Basically for Sessions its take a small chunk of that money off your demands and comes play/start for us... or play behind Baron Davis and fight for backup duties with Sebastian Telfair.

    And the small signings of possible Morris Almond, or Von Wafer etc only give us more depth. Will only be for one year and wont effect anything. Just shows us the potential of a couple guys that may help us this year. So dont stress it. Sorry they arent giant stars but thats what next year is for.

    all in all being patient is good. and Donnie has done a great job so far this offseason. This years free agents were the year of 28+32 yr old stars, tempting but not worth the long term risk of what we could have ruined. So far so good Walsh and Coach D. Lets just push to rid ourselves of Jeffries now!

    oh by the way, did i mention Nate will probably sign a one year five million dollar deal this week?

  7. #7
    Newbie sufferingknickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I agree that we're the only team in the market for Sessions. From everything I've read, and especially now with Miller signing with the Blazers. His agent really wants an offer from the Knicks, because he's not getting an offer from anyone else. It should just be on the Knicks terms.

    We definitely need a shooter, and that guy is maybe Almond or Wafer.

    I believe that, somehow, Curry will get moved. D'antoni won't play him. If he gets himself in shape, the Rockets may certainly be a prospect for him.

    It sure looks like Nate and Lee will re-sign. Who else is looking to sign them?

    This is a young man's game and it's important to assemble a team of talented young guys. It appears that we're doing that. Time will tell.

  8. #8
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYKnicks15
    Oh Knicks fans. Im rather confused if we get so mad that nothing is done because we want to better the team or we want to change our roster on NBA 2K9.

    Sometimes the best moves are the ones not done. And I think Walsh has done an excellent job this summer. He drafted at two position we could possibly lose two players at. PF and PG/SG. That move alone gave us the choice (and being an exec is always ALWAYS about having choices) to play hard with Nate and David. Now free agency is coming to a halt. NO ONE has considerable cap space minus the Oklahoma City Thunder and Memphis (kinda) who already snabbed Zach Randolph. I believe the ball is in our court on David and Nate. And we did not have to meet any 12 million dollar contract stipulations.

    We also have Eddy working out. Let me repeat that.. EDDY CURRY and WORKING OUT in the same sentence. even better.. Donnie got the Houston Rockets to watch one of his work outs. smart move? Id think so.

    We are also pursuing Ramon Sessions who can quite possibly be a starter in this league for years and years. And we jump scared anytime the media mentions anything about him and not coming here. Look a lot goes into offering someone a contract especially when we are trying to save for next year.. you know, the year LeBron and them all could become free agents... You also have to understand we are playing negotiations with ourselves people!!! Basically for Sessions its take a small chunk of that money off your demands and comes play/start for us... or play behind Baron Davis and fight for backup duties with Sebastian Telfair.

    And the small signings of possible Morris Almond, or Von Wafer etc only give us more depth. Will only be for one year and wont effect anything. Just shows us the potential of a couple guys that may help us this year. So dont stress it. Sorry they arent giant stars but thats what next year is for.

    all in all being patient is good. and Donnie has done a great job so far this offseason. This years free agents were the year of 28+32 yr old stars, tempting but not worth the long term risk of what we could have ruined. So far so good Walsh and Coach D. Lets just push to rid ourselves of Jeffries now!

    oh by the way, did i mention Nate will probably sign a one year five million dollar deal this week?
    Clearly I should have stated my concerns regarding Curry & Jeffries rather than anything else. Anyway, that's what I was on about. I just thought we would have heard more about Jeffries and less worrying things about Curry.

    I hadn't heard that the Rockets staff had attended a Curry workout? So that's great news!!!!!!!. Poor bastards must be very desperate. I shall look it up immediately! Then I'll be much clearer as to wtf is going on.

  9. #9
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    WHy **** that.

    Why? Because Donnie has said outright that he doesn't want to be picking from the lottery ever again as Knicks GM that's why. Even if we don't have a pick next year, why would I say otherwise to missing the playoffs again?

    I dont know what you expect walsh to do.

    I really dont, There is no one to sign, and we have no one to trade, Walsh isnt being secretive, hes being blatantly honest when he says, I dont know whats going to happen. There is nothing that can happen, so from this point on get used to the roster you see posted on nyknicks.com, and root for your team.
    Whether or not I route for my team has nothing to do with what I said. Don't need any advice or inspiration to do so either. It was just concern.

    If we are so concerned with the lowered cap affecting a 2 year plan, then wouldn't some extra vigilance be worth querying? I guess having all our eggs in one basket is making me paranoid?

    Perhaps it's my fault for not reading ALL the articles and missing points. Curry, Jeffries + Mobley's contract in particular. Aren't Curry & Jeffries our chief concern?

    So don't make my post sound so mutinous.

    All I said was:

    WTF is going on?

    Because I'm not too sure at this stage with all the misinformation (and/or lack of information re: Jeffries) floating about.

  10. #10
    Lurker KnickzFanInAtl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Scr*w 2010....I'm waitng for 2011

    I know all of this 2010 talk and such....but 2011 is when Carmelo Anthony (ETO), Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Josh Howard & Rudy Gay are FA's. by then......From what I understand, Fat Curry and JJ's contracts should be up and we have even more cap space for max contracts. Plus, We have our #1 pick back. Add one or two of them and Build from what we have....forget 2010 and go 2011. Just MHO.
    Last edited by KnickzFanInAtl; Jul 27, 2009 at 01:44.

  11. #11
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    To me, our last best hope for a winning team, in the near future, has passed. There was Gasol, who I was begging for Isiah to trade Curry for, but good ole Isiah said Curry was "untouchable." There was Brook Lopez, who has all-star potential, all the tools one could ask from a big man: power, athleticism, range, mid and low post skills, etc, but family comes first.

    All of you can continue hating on Crawford and Marbury, but they were top guards in this league, regardless of how 5hitty our team was. What the Knicks have been missing, since Ewing, has been a competent center. None of you can say that Marbury or Crawford had the benefit of playing with a center that was in there intimidating penetration and securing our boards consistently.

    Watching the Knicks, how many times have we gotten raped on the inside, by every position from the 1 to the 5? And, further, how many of those games were close games that, had we had better interior D, we'd have won? How much help D has this team ever had, period, from its bigs, since Ewing?

    What many of the posters on here don't seem to understand is that defense is the key to playing winning basketball. Crawford and Marbury can, and do, get you offense. It's not perfect, but no team has perfect offense. The Knicks' problem was, and is, that they have horrible interior defense. And in the NBA, interior D is the most important part of a team's system.

    This is why D'Antoni makes so little sense for this team: he's an offensive specialist.

    Anyway, keep thinking that Lebron, or anyone else, is going to be successful on a team that's so nakedly lacking on the inside. NBA players know why Craw and Marbury were unsuccessful as guards on the Knicks, they're not taking that bait.

    Watch ATL tear through the competition, with Johnson and Crawford playing the 2.

    As for us: I predict at least 5 more years of underachievement, after which a great opportunity might present itself. Most likely, however, the Knicks won't seize it and will march on in failure.
    Last edited by OGKnickfan; Jul 27, 2009 at 05:59.

  12. #12
    Newbie sufferingknickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    From an entertainment standpoint, I'm glad the Knicks went with D'Antoni. He plays an exciting brand of basketball if we can get him the players. It all starts from the point guard position, as we saw with Nash. We need to get an allstar calibur (or at this point a point guard with all star potential). And build from there. This season will tell us if we have some of the pieces necessary to win. I don't know that answer yet.

    True, the Suns didn't win a Championship under D'Antoni but they were contenders and won a lot of games. I'd be happy to get to the point where we're winning a lot of games and then move on from there.

    I also think it's a style that appeals to a lot of players and may help in recruiting free agents, assuming we have some pieces of a good team in place.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    yes quick answer to that debate. would Marc Jackson have been a better fit had we been trying to win now and teach for the future? yes. but that isnt our goal frankly. its to play fun ball and attract free agents. ones that played for team USA.

    the latest options the knicks are mulling over are this.

    If we sign Ramon Sessions then we dont sign David Lee to a multi year deal. UNLESS we extend him somehow after getting rid of Jeffries or Curry.

    With Nate looking at a one year deal and if Lee doesnt sign one as well you can bet on a sign and trade with Chicago. Chicago wants him badly.. they wanted him when we drafted him. We would ask for Hinrich and they want to give us Tyrus Thomas. Well probably get Jerome James back in any deal woo hoo! ahaha I would welcome both Hinrich or Thomas. I have a feeling Thomas would excel in this system. and of course Hinrich would.

    I think itd be in our best interest to offer Sessions a deal. Sign Nate and Lee to one year deals. and find a suitor for Duhon. which should be easy with his expiring contract. possibly if Curry shows up. a deal would work with Curry, Duhon and the contract of Cuttino Mobley to Houston for Tracy McGrady. Come to a buyout with Larry Hughes and were set for next year. while having our rotation look like...

    Darko, Lee, Harrington, Hill, Chandler, Gallinari, McGrady, Sessions and Robinson

    anything is possible at the moment. and its nice to be able to say that we actually have options for once.!

  14. #14
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    my point is, what would you have done if you were donnies position,

    nothing because nothing is all that he can do,
    you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip man
    and you certainly cant fool Gms into believing that the knicks have players worth trading for. Donnie did the right thing, he tested the market within his realm of finances, and that was it, was he supposed to keep his arms crossed and not go after kidd or hill who were available, he had to entertain the thought, or he would not of been doing his job.

    There isnt a lebron or wade or bosh to be had this summer.
    if that was the case he would be all over them as we speak throwing as much money as he can in their direction.

    he went after the few FA's available, and played it safe as to not over pay any one.

    good work donnie.

    patience is a virtue.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,955
    Rep Power
    18

    Nyk Logo

    I wonder why six (6) years ago the Pacers hired Larry Bird as their G.M.?
    Who do we have as our G.M.? while Walsh vacation for the 2nd summer in a row. And Dantoni play politics by spending his summer with the Olympic team.

    So far this offseason the best move Walsh made was resigning Nate Robinson.
    Now the $3M he spent to get Douglas was wisely spent.

    Board members u better hope like hell Walsh resign David Lee....this way our 8th pick in the future would be considered the best available player at that selection.

    PG-Duhon
    Combo-Guard-Nate & Douglas
    SG-Empty, open for suggestions (Hughes)
    SF-Harrington, Chandler, Gallo
    PF-Lee & Hill
    C-Curry & Darko

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •