Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team sources there is "no interest whatsoever" in Iverson

Originally Posted by johnstarky
    First of all, what's with the name calling? I don't usually argue with strangers on a forum but are you still in Junior High School or did your family forget to teach you how to respect other people?

Second of all, if Allen Iverson is such a great player at this point of his career why didn't the Nuggets keep him? Why aren't the Pistons willing to bring him back? Do you actually believe that the Knicks are going to have so much trouble scoring points under Mike D'antoni's system that they will desperately need to add a player so that he can average more than 20 points a game for them? If you paid close attention to the Knicks last season they were 4th in the league in scoring, averaging more than 105 points per game.Only the Lakers, Warriors and Suns were ahead of the Knicks in scoring.I don't expect that number to dramatically increase or decrease for the Knicks next season.

If you really want Allen Iverson on the Knicks so that he can sell a lot of Knick Jerseys at the NBA store or you just want him on the Knicks to watch him make ESPN Sports Center's top 10 plays then I don't know what else to tell you.
    thank you for expressing your opinion. now I will express mine. Your wasting your time. AI will only do good to the team I think. If you respond to this, your wasting your time

Originally Posted by jpz17
    thank you for expressing your opinion. now I will express mine. Your wasting your time. AI will only do good to the team I think. If you respond to this, your wasting your time

Besides receiving endorsement deals, signing autographs for fan boys, and padding his stats what good do you see Iverson bringing to the Knicks in the future?

This is a public forum in which people debate topics, I don't think that anybody is wasting valuable minutes of their life discussing issues.
    Last edited by johnstarky; Aug 19, 2009 at 17:14.

If Iverson takes up the role as more of a point guard, then it would help greatly.Despite what people said about him being a ballhog, he has exceptional vision.If he uses his ability to break down defense and his amazing passing ability, then yes, it would help.And think about it, his ppg last season dropped quite a bit last season, but not because of his actual ability to score anymore.Iverson's not asking for a lot, it wouldn't be interfering with 2010 or whatever money wise, he's still studying the game, he's not coming off as somebody who's gonna ruin chemistry.He's also clutch.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Toons
    its an update genius. its the first time AI publicly mentions NYC as one of his options. and it also says he's not all about the money....vets minimum...it also says he's lifting and getting stronger in the gym. IMO, all of that is relevant information to knick fans.
    Gotta be a category in Ripley's Believe it or Not if AI signs for the vets minimum. If he's willing the Knicks should sign him to a 3 year deal at 1.3M.

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Gotta be a category in Ripley's Believe it or Not if AI signs for the vets minimum. If he's willing the Knicks should sign him to a 3 year deal at 1.3M.

Originally Posted by JayJ44
    Getting Iverson would of been idiotic. He would take shots away from our young players, and ruin team chemistry. Why waste the MLE on him, when we could use it on Ramon Sessions.

How is Darko a gamble? We gave up Q-Rich for him. Worst case scenario he sucks and doesn't play. Worst case scenario with AI: he hogs the ball, slows the development of Chandler and Gallo, he ruins team chemistry, and we blow an opportunity to pick up a young, pass first PG with potential in Sessions.
    I am tired of hearing this crap about taking shots away from young players
    These young players are not all league(ers) they need to learn to be productive with out needing to get shots 4 example ( these young knickerbockers need to learn how to pay with a star) if it begins with iverson so be it, but if they cant play winning ball with iverson then they wont be able to with lebron or wade or who ever.
    My point is, these guys have posted better than their talent number based on the fact that the team as a whole has no legit star.
    Al harrington is not a 20 ppg scorer, lee is not a 16-11 player and nate is not a 17-4-4 player on a winning basketball team.

They are all role players.

Bring in iverson, he will teach them how to win and it will be preparatory for Mike D in the sense where he can teach players to move with out the ball better and focus on the little things that make winning teams.

Banned

Originally Posted by donchris
    According to the NY Post Multiple team sources said there is "no interest whatsoever" in free agent Allen Iverson.

I really do not get why people are afraid of bringing in Allen Iverson.

He would only be getting a one year deal for about 2 million dollars, he would likely generate at least half of that in merchandise and ticket sales. Statistically he would be a monster in Dantoni's system

Think about it....Q-Brick was pratically an All Star in Phoenix, Jamal Crawford was putting up very good numbers in Dantoni's system, now picture a player like Iverson who shoots about as good as both of those players but knows when/how to take the ball to the hoop when The J isnt falling unlike Q and Jamal

Iverson average 27 playing next to fellow scorer Carmelo as a full-time starter in 2007-08 and managed 18 for Detroit playing out of position and on a defensive minded squad. Can you imagine the numbers in Dantoni's sytem

No Less than 24 ppg!

Now plus the fact that Larry Hughes is our truest SG (a thread on that later this week) then this seems to a NO Brainer.

Get the dude for 2 million, if he acts up buy him out. This is a low rish, high reward sort of move. He is still an A player in this league, he is still capable of 40 or 50 on any given night.

I know there is the whole argument about him being a bad influence on the young players, to that I say....even our young players are grown a@# men, they can think for themselves!

Seriously, was Zach Randolph a bad influence on the same group of young players? Did Jerome James' poor work ethic rub off on David Lee and Nate Robinson who have been teamates with him since they were rookies?

Add Iverson to this roster and we have a legit shot at the playoffs

Duhon/Nate
    Iverson/Nate/Hughes
    Chandler/Gallanari
    Lee/Harrington/Hill
    Curry/Darko/Lee

Now add Sessions and Iverson and we are pretty much a lock

Sessions/Duhon
    Iverson/Nate/Huges
    Chandler/Gallanari/Harrington
    Lee/Harrington/Hill
    Curry/Darko/Lee

Last point....we would have his "bird rights' meaning, if he puts up sick numbes -you know the type that would make a big name FA come in 2010- we can resign him for as much as we would want, thus alliviating this whole cap crisis everyone is so leary of.

Originally Posted by jpz17
    haha what an idiot. Jay. AI is a former MVP and he will score 21ppg for us right now. We don't have anyone on the team that is a scoring threat that is any good (Al Harrington sucks. Nate Robinson is a piece of crap).
    @ you calling anyone an idiot. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, dumbass. Harrington averaged 20 PPG and Nate averaged 17 PPG. Who cares that he was MVP like 8 years ago? He doesn't fit this system because he hogs the ball, and isn't a willing passer.

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    I am tired of hearing this crap about taking shots away from young players
    These young players are not all league(ers) they need to learn to be productive with out needing to get shots 4 example ( these young knickerbockers need to learn how to pay with a star) if it begins with iverson so be it, but if they cant play winning ball with iverson then they wont be able to with lebron or wade or who ever.
    My point is, these guys have posted better than their talent number based on the fact that the team as a whole has no legit star.
    Al harrington is not a 20 ppg scorer, lee is not a 16-11 player and nate is not a 17-4-4 player on a winning basketball team.

They are all role players.

Bring in iverson, he will teach them how to win and it will be preparatory for Mike D in the sense where he can teach players to move with out the ball better and focus on the little things that make winning teams.
    Iverson isn't a star anymore. At this point in his career, Nate>AI. Nate's younger, more athletic, and a better shooter. There's no point in bringing in Iverson.

Superstar

The only difference Iverson will make is giving Utah the 8th or 9th pick instead of the 2nd or 3rd pick in the 2010 draft.

dude what r u talking about, he averaged 27 a game just 2 yrs ago, and last year was relegated to the bench for no reason what so ever by a coach who ( well get fired)..

NAte robinson is not now and never will be better than Iverson is even at this stage in his career.

JAy I cannot believe you just really said Nate robinson is better than Allan Iverson

MEH. SMH. and LMFAO.

Originally Posted by the portable man
    duhon > AI
    Wow - now that takes some balls to say something like that lol

Career backup > 10 Time All-Star

Looks about right to me lol

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    dude what r u talking about, he averaged 27 a game just 2 yrs ago, and last year was relegated to the bench for no reason what so ever by a coach who ( well get fired)..

NAte robinson is not now and never will be better than Iverson is even at this stage in his career.

JAy I cannot believe you just really said Nate robinson is better than Allan Iverson

MEH. SMH. and LMFAO.
    He also averaged 42 minutes per game, while Nate averaged less than 30 this year. Per 36 minutes AI averaged about 23 points in 07-08, while Nate averaged about 21 points per 36 last season. Since Nate is young, he will probably improve his game for the coming season. AI on the other hand is getting older, and will decline. Nate can bring everything that AI does, but Nate is a better shooter, making him a better fit in the system.

dude numbers stats blah blah blah blah, Nate plays losing basketball.

Iverson has been playing
    MVP
    ALL STAR MVP
    All NBA first team
    LEague leading Scoring
    Ball every year of his career until this past one.
    He will bounce back and in Mike D's hands he ill be 3 times the player nate could ever dream of.
    Stop riding Nates (((). HE is not better than Iverson.
    STOP IT
    will some one with logic on this forum please step in and support this because people not wanting IVerson for a year for cheap on this site must not be knicks fans.

Originally Posted by New New York
    I really do not get why people are afraid of bringing in Allen Iverson.

He would only be getting a one year deal for about 2 million dollars, he would likely generate at least half of that in merchandise and ticket sales. Statistically he would be a monster in Dantoni's system

Think about it....Q-Brick was pratically an All Star in Phoenix, Jamal Crawford was putting up very good numbers in Dantoni's system, now picture a player like Iverson who shoots about as good as both of those players but knows when/how to take the ball to the hoop when The J isnt falling unlike Q and Jamal

Iverson average 27 playing next to fellow scorer Carmelo as a full-time starter in 2007-08 and managed 18 for Detroit playing out of position and on a defensive minded squad. Can you imagine the numbers in Dantoni's sytem

No Less than 24 ppg!

Now plus the fact that Larry Hughes is our truest SG (a thread on that later this week) then this seems to a NO Brainer.

Get the dude for 2 million, if he acts up buy him out. This is a low rish, high reward sort of move. He is still an A player in this league, he is still capable of 40 or 50 on any given night.

I know there is the whole argument about him being a bad influence on the young players, to that I say....even our young players are grown a@# men, they can think for themselves!

Seriously, was Zach Randolph a bad influence on the same group of young players? Did Jerome James' poor work ethic rub off on David Lee and Nate Robinson who have been teamates with him since they were rookies?

Add Iverson to this roster and we have a legit shot at the playoffs

Duhon/Nate
    Iverson/Nate/Hughes
    Chandler/Gallanari
    Lee/Harrington/Hill
    Curry/Darko/Lee

Now add Sessions and Iverson and we are pretty much a lock

Sessions/Duhon
    Iverson/Nate/Huges
    Chandler/Gallanari/Harrington
    Lee/Harrington/Hill
    Curry/Darko/Lee

Last point....we would have his "bird rights' meaning, if he puts up sick numbes -you know the type that would make a big name FA come in 2010- we can resign him for as much as we would want, thus alliviating this whole cap crisis everyone is so leary of.
    best post I've ever seen you post