How Much Cap Space Knicks Will Have In 2010

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This guy didn't include Sessions, Lee and Nate into the equation. If we sign Sessions, Lee and Nate without getting rid of Jeffries or Curry we're screwed. Won't even be able to get 1 max contract.

I don't think getting rid of Jeffries will be much of a problem. Getting rid of Curry too would be monumental and easily allow us to keep the above players and still get 2 max free agents. I hope that fat-ass gets moved by the trade deadline.

How Much Cap Space Knicks Will Have In 2010

The Knicks have been extremely patient in their negotiations this summer with free agents such as David Lee, Ramon Sessions and Nate Robinson. Because of the projected decline of the salary cap, there will be very little margin of error if the Knicks intend to sign more than one high priced free agent in 2010.

Using the current cap of $57.7M (Same Cap), as well as the High Cap ($53.6M) and Low cap ($50.4M) figures, which are based on the 2% to 5% decline, respectively, in BRI that is projected by the NBA league office, we can estimate precisely how much cap space will be available for the Knicks in 2010.

2010 Knicks? Salary Cap Room (as of projected roster from August 18, 2009)

Cap Room: $20.22M (Low Cap), $23.42M (High Cap), $27.52M (Same Cap)

Available Cap Room After One Max Contract: $4.13M (Low Cap), $7.33M (High Cap), $11.43M (Same Cap)

Also note that if the cap does NOT decline next summer, and stays at this season?s level (Same Cap), the Knicks would have room to offer a second max contract ONLY IF the team rids itself of Jared Jeffries. Even if the cap declines just 2%, a second max contract would not be possible.

2010 Knicks? Salary Cap Room if contract of Jared Jeffries is removed

Cap Room: $26.63M (Low Cap), $29.83M (High Cap), $33.93M (Same Cap)

Cap Room After One Max Contract: $10.54M (Low Cap), $13.74M (High Cap), $17.84M (Same Cap)

Via Christopher Reina/RealGM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...how_much_cap_space_knicks_will_have_in_2010/#

Trin_Starr

Starter
Nah no need to get so worked up guys. The 2010 cap is based on current economic concerns. Gradual signs and economic forecasts have show that the US will come out the recession this quarter and by the summer of 2010, things will be alot better than it was when the projected salary cap estimates were derived.

I would say for sake of argument that the cap would be set anywhere between $58-$60mil

Besides moving jefferies and curry won't be a problem as many people think it will.
For some reason unknown to me, the wizards want him back on their squad, so if Nate doesn't get signed - expect him and JJ to be packing their bags.

And with Eddie - I know a lot of knick fans hate the dude cause he's lazy but with all the work he's putting in this offseason to be in shape and toned - I think he will see great results in D'Antoni's system - and that will increase his trade value...
And one thing about the NBA - even though the regular season is made for small ball, come the playoffs - a big man is a must...so you know some team will be more than ready to take him off our hands.

Kiyaman

Legend
More reasons to be "HATIN" on Kiyaman

I still say, Walsh is going about this 2010 plan to lower the salary-cap the wrong way. Having a 2010 plan is all good, but not having any type of strategy to succeed this plan is...............
Donnie Walsh been making uncalled-for brainless moves for the last 16 months.

To lower the Knicks salary-cap in two years meant getting rid of just FOUR (4) contract players that goes into the 2010-11 season (Zach, Curry, Crawful, and Jefferies).
A very easy task to do within 12 to 16 months span b/c it includes two offseasons.

What bothers me the most is members in this forum and others been coming up with so many "EXCUSES" to justify Donnie Walsh doing nothing to succeed his 2010 plan other than trade expiring contracts for expiring contracts just to make it look like he is doing something. Trading Zach and Crawful were the first step in (November 2008). The offseason is not gone yet but neither is Curry & Jefferies.

Members saying Isiah would've done "this or that" does not justify Donnie Walsh decision making, what it does is just give an excuse (falure) to change the subject why Curry & Jefferies is still on the roster after two offseasons.
When the main objective to the 2010 plan is to get rid of their contracts too within two offseasons.

There is no such thing as an "untradeable-player" in the NBA, there never was and never will be. Proof of that pudding lies in the Kwame & Darko trades, and for Knick-Fans the Jerome James and the back-injury Q.Richardson four trades.
Donnie Walsh used that "untradeable" comment to the press in Indiana too, about Jermain O'Neal. and got kicked out of the Indiana Organization so the G.M. Larry Bird could trade Jermain O'Neal 2 months after the departure of Donnie Walsh.

I'm sure we all are happier than a rat in a cheese factory that Isiah Thomas is gone, but replacing him with Donnie Walsh has to be another super idiotic move made by Knick owner Dolan.
We all watched coaches and players make the Pacers into a top contender team and then quit on Donnie Walsh during his span as the Indiana Pacers President. That is a FACT....

GetRealistic

Starter

I still say, Walsh is going about this 2010 plan to lower the salary-cap the wrong way. Having a 2010 plan is all good, but not having any type of strategy to succeed this plan is...............

To lower the Knicks salary-cap in two years meant getting rid of just FOUR (4) contract players that goes into the 2010-11 season (Zach, Curry, Crawful, and Jefferies).
A very easy task to do within 12 to 16 months span b/c it includes two offseasons.

What bothers me the most is members in this forum and others been coming up with so many "EXCUSES" to justify Donnie Walsh doing nothing to succeed his 2010 plan other than trade expiring contracts for expiring contracts just to make it look like he is doing something. Trading Zach and Crawful were the first step in (November 2008). The offseason is not gone yet but neither is Curry & Jefferies.

Members saying Isiah would've done "this or that" does not justify Donnie Walsh decision making, what it does is just give an excuse (falure) to change the subject why Curry & Jefferies is still on the roster after two offseasons.
When the main objective to the 2010 plan is to get rid of their contracts too within two offseasons.

There is no such thing as an "untradeable-player" in the NBA, there never was and never will be. Proof of that pudding lies in the Kwame & Darko trades, and for Knick-Fans the Jerome James and the back-injury Q.Richardson four trades.
Donnie Walsh used that "untradeable" comment to the press in Indiana too, about Jermain O'Neal. and got kicked out of the Indiana Organization so the G.M. Larry Bird could trade Jermain O'Neal 2 months after the departure of Donnie Walsh.

I'm sure we all are happier than a rat in a cheese factory that Isiah Thomas is gone, but replacing him with Donnie Walsh has to be another super idiotic move made by Knick owner Dolan.
We all watched coaches and players make the Pacers into a top contender team and then quit on Donnie Walsh during his span as the Indiana Pacers President. That is a FACT....

Nope that would be absolute fiction like always from you.. So your telling me theres a trade market for an out of shape center with a bloated contract who played in 2 games last season? Please enlighten me to the many trades the Knicks could make to unload Curry... Because i would certainly like to hear them..

As far as Jefferies goes, in retrospect we should have traded Nate and JJ to the Kings last year but we didn't. If you want to fault Donnie Walsh for anything its the fact he didn't make that trade. But all the people who believe Nate Robinson is something more then a decent eneregy bench player woulda flipped shit when then trade went down.

Kiya yet again you give all this "inside information" but never once back it up with anything factual. Its pretty obvious to everybody on this forum that you just like to hear yourself talk. My advice to you would be to move to Vegas and only come out of hibernation once a year for your beloved summer league basketball.

This summer has been such a dissappointment huh? We drafted the best available big man and a solid backup guard prospect in Douglas. Added a 7 footer with potential while only unloading Q Rich and from the looks of it we'll retain Lee and Nate for reasonable contracts while signing Sessions for below market value... Yea that Donnie Walsh has done an awful job of remaking the absolute worst roster in the NBA.. Think back two years and look at the roster and salary cap hell we were in.. Now look at a more talented roster with cap flexibility.

But hey i guess we coulda trade Eddy Curry and 3 future first round picks for Balkman and Kenyon Martin and that woulda made some people happy.

Kiyaman

Legend
Where is the strategy for the 2010 Plan???

Nope that would be absolute fiction like always from you.. So your telling me theres a trade market for an out of shape center with a bloated contract who played in 2 games last season? Please enlighten me to the many trades the Knicks could make to unload Curry... Because i would certainly like to hear them..

As far as Jefferies goes, in retrospect we should have traded Nate and JJ to the Kings last year but we didn't. If you want to fault Donnie Walsh for anything its the fact he didn't make that trade. But all the people who believe Nate Robinson is something more then a decent eneregy bench player woulda flipped shit when then trade went down.

Kiya yet again you give all this "inside information" but never once back it up with anything factual. Its pretty obvious to everybody on this forum that you just like to hear yourself talk. My advice to you would be to move to Vegas and only come out of hibernation once a year for your beloved summer league basketball.

This summer has been such a dissappointment huh? We drafted the best available big man and a solid backup guard prospect in Douglas. Added a 7 footer with potential while only unloading Q Rich and from the looks of it we'll retain Lee and Nate for reasonable contracts while signing Sessions for below market value... Yea that Donnie Walsh has done an awful job of remaking the absolute worst roster in the NBA.. Think back two years and look at the roster and salary cap hell we were in.. Now look at a more talented roster with cap flexibility.

But hey i guess we coulda trade Eddy Curry and 3 future first round picks for Balkman and Kenyon Martin and that woulda made some people happy.

Everything u just wrote is an "EXCUSE" for Donnie Walsh delay in putting his own plan into action. An excuse means failure in a task.

I been reading in other forums how outsiders strategy on getting the Knicks 2010 plan into action, and to my surprise the majority came up with a 100% better strategy within a 12 month span time than Donnie Walsh.
Just the other day some guy came to the espn forum and asked why did'nt Walsh talk to the Houston Rockets with Yao season injury and Curry losing weight, that Walsh should've gave David Lee what he asked for in a sign and trade for Curry & Lee for Rockets disgruntle T-Mac contract.

Things would look more optimistic and understanding if President Donnie Walsh had a strategy (for his 2010 Plan) which would have gotten rid of all four players (Zach, Curry, Crawful, and Jefferies) contracts by August 1st 2009 (16 months).
Now that would be a 2010 Plan....in affect to start the rebuilding in the 2009 training-camp...

GetRealistic

Starter
Well i'm still waiting for a concrete offer we recieved for Eddy Curry that Donnie Walsh turned down... Because everybody talks about this Curry for TMac thing but i hate to break it to ya... The Rockets young GM is one of the best gms in the league and would never take on Curry's contract.

The only way to trade Curry is to get him playing and getting him playing semi effectively. People in forums suggest a lot of trades but the fact of the matter is 90 percent of the proposed trades are BS.. Thats why we're writing for forums not NBA GMs...

The only thing that would make you happy is if we signed David Lee to a Max contract and somehow got Mardy Collins back.

TunerAddict

Starter
Everything u just wrote is an "EXCUSE" for Donnie Walsh delay in putting his own plan into action. An excuse means failure in a task.

I been reading in other forums how outsiders strategy on getting the Knicks 2010 plan into action, and to my surprise the majority came up with a 100% better strategy within a 12 month span time than Donnie Walsh.
Just the other day some guy came to the espn forum and asked why did'nt Walsh talk to the Houston Rockets with Yao season injury and Curry losing weight, that Walsh should've gave David Lee what he asked for in a sign and trade for Curry & Lee for Rockets disgruntle T-Mac contract.

Things would look more optimistic and understanding if President Donnie Walsh had a strategy (for his 2010 Plan) which would have gotten rid of all four players (Zach, Curry, Crawful, and Jefferies) contracts by August 1st 2009 (16 months).
Now that would be a 2010 Plan....in affect to start the rebuilding in the 2009 training-camp...

Yo, we got Darko, bitch!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This guy has ranked each team's offseason. He ranked the Knicks #21 out of 30. I think it's still too early because I expect Donnie to make some moves...some day.

Dissecting The 2009 Offeason

21. New York

Moreso than anything else, the Knicks’ offseason was about circumstance and other goals. I cannot penalize them for not dumping Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries’ contracts, since it will be very difficult, even with Cuttino Mobley’s insured contract.

However, Walsh does deserve criticism for taking Jordan Hill once Stephen Curry was off the board. Hill is the definition of a banal player- nice kid, works hard, very limited, a fine guy to have on a team, but not a guy who you take in the Top-10. As already noted, it seems hard to believe that Curry or Jeffries could have yielded an offer, but moving one of them with #8 may have been a possibility.

The Knicks were also hurt by the potential cap drop for 2010, but smart management could make them major players in 2011, if they strike out in 2010 (and I don’t think they will in 2010, unless Amare counts as “striking out”…)

http://realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/816/20090819/dissecting_the_2009_offeason/

Blumatic

Rotation player

The is such thing as an "untradeable player". There is no such thing as an absolute "tradeable-player". Trading a player is just not matter of a simple swap. GMs know when you obtain a player there is a commitment to that said player. Monery must be spent on that player and if the player doesn't pan out the team is just losing money.

You talk about Kwame and and Darko...well there respective moves took a long time to make happen. The oppurtunity was not there for those player to be traded and is certainly did not help that their play on the court was poor.

Jeromoe James contract is expiring and the team that obtained him waived him. JJ was packaged with a player as well. "Untradeable" mere means very difficult to trade because of the players market value.

Ripping Donnie Walsh is beyond me. The guy has been here for only a year and has a plan. Tha plan is getting under the cap. All other scenarios attached with that plan, Donnie will let play out. The Knicks may not land any player Lebron/Wade to player in 2010, but don't expect Donnie to make a move just so he'll do something that summer. He'll probably make adjustment to his plan and seek other opportunities.

Bottom line the Knicks play on the court is secondary right now. I frankly I agree that the Salary caop should be priority.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well i'm still waiting for a concrete offer we recieved for Eddy Curry that Donnie Walsh turned down... Because everybody talks about this Curry for TMac thing but i hate to break it to ya... The Rockets young GM is one of the best gms in the league and would never take on Curry's contract.

The only way to trade Curry is to get him playing and getting him playing semi effectively. People in forums suggest a lot of trades but the fact of the matter is 90 percent of the proposed trades are BS.. Thats why we're writing for forums not NBA GMs...

The only thing that would make you happy is if we signed David Lee to a Max contract and somehow got Mardy Collins back.

Why are u always mentioning the young players that I like on the Knicks?

Donnie knew he had to showcase Zach, Curry, Crawful, and Jefferies, five months before training-camp, or get up off his chop and trade them in the 2008 offseason.
I dont want to here about injuries, over weight, or being out of shape, when Donnie Walsh indirectly told all four players in heres open speech he was going to trade them when he mention his 2010 plan.

TunerAddict

Starter
Why are u always mentioning the young players that I like on the Knicks?

Donnie knew he had to showcase Zach, Curry, Crawful, and Jefferies, five months before training-camp, or get up off his chop and trade them in the 2008 offseason.
I dont want to here about injuries, over weight, or being out of shape, when Donnie Walsh indirectly told all four players in heres open speech he was going to trade them when he mention his 2010 plan.

English please.

Kiyaman

Legend
The is such thing as an "untradeable player". There is no such thing as an absolute "tradeable-player". Trading a player is just not matter of a simple swap. GMs know when you obtain a player there is a commitment to that said player. Monery must be spent on that player and if the player doesn't pan out the team is just losing money.

You talk about Kwame and and Darko...well there respective moves took a long time to make happen. The oppurtunity was not there for those player to be traded and is certainly did not help that their play on the court was poor.

Jeromoe James contract is expiring and the team that obtained him waived him. JJ was packaged with a player as well. "Untradeable" mere means very difficult to trade because of the players market value.

Ripping Donnie Walsh is beyond me. The guy has been here for only a year and has a plan. Tha plan is getting under the cap. All other scenarios attached with that plan, Donnie will let play out. The Knicks may not land any player Lebron/Wade to player in 2010, but don't expect Donnie to make a move just so he'll do something that summer. He'll probably make adjustment to his plan and seek other opportunities.

Bottom line the Knicks play on the court is secondary right now. I frankly I agree that the Salary caop should be priority.

We should all know by now that I am Biased to Donnie Walsh....any mistake he make wid the Knicks....u all know u can count on Kiyaman to make a thread.

I do give Walsh his props when they are do....Crawful and Q.Richardson at the SG-position played a very giant role in our 23 win seasons.
I Luv the "Jordan Hill" selection at the 8th spot (winner)....Douglas was also a good move his performance is somewhat decent that can be washed out of all its FLAWS in two years, but he can be an explosive 12 mpg in his rookie season.

All this board talked about in every Knick disscussion since the hiring of Donnie Walsh (16 months) was the "2010 Plan" this or the "2010 Plan" that.
What made it so bad was every Knick sports writer and announcer were doing the samething.

You can not speak of a 2010 Plan concerning the Knicks without making Zach, Curry, Crawful, and Jefferies, contracts a first PRIORITY.

All I'm saying is BULLSHUUUT.....when Walsh mention the 2010 Plan he did not have a clue on who he was going to trade Zach, Curry, Crawful, and Jefferies to for shorter contracts
So I am not the only one talking BULLSHUUUUT!!!!
GetRealistic<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_99677", true); </SCRIPT>
LJ4ptplay<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_99683", true); </SCRIPT>

TunerAddict

Starter
TunerAddict

Yo....what is your problem
u cant see a tru-muthr-fker trying to ignore u

Step.....learn sum things u cant say over phone n internet
that u wont say face to face.....
I am not the next man that play games
on that level

This is the problem I'm having. I have absolutely no clue as to what you're saying.

Kiyaman

Legend
Setember 7th Labor Day

Our Knick so-call 2010 Plan has showed no movement or action this offseason to hype-up the Knick-Fans to have confidence in believing there are 3 or 1 of the star 2010 FA players interested in becoming a Knick in the 2010 offseason.
We did?nt have the tools (management) to influence any of the decent 2009 FA to sign on to our MLE for our Knick future 2010-Plan. Offering a one-year contract is ?renting a player?.

As much as we needed a decent SG to help out in lastseason two-man (Duhon & Nate) guard rotation (Q.Rich had to be the worst SG in the NBA,traded 4 times in one month).
So adding the last decent young upcoming FA PG-Session to our roster could have paid off in so many ways for this Knick team??

If the Bucks do not match that petty offer-sheet the Wolves gave to Session, then alot of people especially NBA players will look at the Bucks organization as just petty petty petty.
With the NBA economic market looking shady to where the salary-cap will be reduced a second year in a row, every NBA team should fix themselves to pay luxury tax this season to bring-up the market so there would be less of a chance the NBA salary-cap dont be reduced on one of the biggest star FA markets in the NBA in decades.
The Bucks organization should know this.

The Knicks would?ve been building their chances up higher for an elite 2010 FA by giving Sessions that same petty offer-sheet of $16M for 4 years (weeks ago)?..only our Knick management do not have any confidence within itself to rid itself of Jefferies ($6M) contract before the 2009-10 trading deadline. No Confidence!

Having Sessions $4M contract with Curry $11M as their highest contracts to start the 2010 offseason is more reasonable.
The confidence level shown this offseason by our Knick management were not high or optimistic at all for Knick-Fans or any 2009 or 2010 FA.
Last season Duhon & Nate held-down the backcourt by themselves all season long, a player like Sessions added with them this upcoming season would?ve been a great uplift to the Knicks guard rotation. Which could add temptation to SG-Wade, or SG-Joe Johnson, or even a healthy T-Mac for a cheap price in the 2010 offseason.
The Knicks benching selfish SG-Larry Hughes individual performance for speedy PG-Sessions talent would?ve been best for the Knicks team and a great guidance for the rookie combo-guard Douglas future growth on the team.

dan1608

Benchwarmer
Every Knicks fan pretty much agrees that Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries need to be traded!

However, by now most teams have realized that the Knicks are desperate to get rid of Curry and Jeffries, so they would take advantage of a trade that would require little in return. On top of that, many teams have cleared up cap space to aquire top level free agents in 2010 and the NBA has been made aware of Curry's recent problems which would make it a hard deal.

I can't really think of a team that would want to spend around $17 million on two overpaid players: one who is a problematic, weak defensive player than can only score and the other who is a decent defender and horrible offensive player.

Curry would be the main part of the trade, obviously, so he would only be useful to a team with a solid defense and very weak offense. But considering, his problems and the Knick's desperation to get rid of him, I honestly think the best we can get out of both Curry and Jeffries is a future 2nd round draft pick.

And since we're trying to get rid of them for more talented players, I would accept that trade.

The Knicks should definitely resign Nate Robinson for a long term deal, who can improve even more under Mike D' Antoni's offensive system. In addition, Robinson's impressive clutch prefromances and enthuiasm have made him a fan favorite in New York.

David Lee can score and rebound well, but if he wants $10 to $12 million, it's not worth it, especially under the circumstances of 2010 free agent year.

Overall, I think the Knicks can completely rebuild the team in 2010. LeBron is a possibility and the Knicks should persue him, but his intentions are vague and there's a good chance he'll stay with Cleveland. I would take an interest in acquiring Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire or Joe Johnson.

In addition, this could be an oppurtunity of the Knicks to strengthen their defensive position with free agents like Raja Bell, Marcus Camby and Tyson Chandler.

2010 will be a great year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Our Knick so-call 2010 Plan has showed no movement or action this offseason to hype-up the Knick-Fans to have confidence in believing there are 3 or 1 of the star 2010 FA players interested in becoming a Knick in the 2010 offseason.
We did?nt have the tools (management) to influence any of the decent 2009 FA to sign on to our MLE for our Knick future 2010-Plan. Offering a one-year contract is ?renting a player?.

As much as we needed a decent SG to help out in lastseason two-man (Duhon & Nate) guard rotation (Q.Rich had to be the worst SG in the NBA,traded 4 times in one month).
So adding the last decent young upcoming FA PG-Session to our roster could have paid off in so many ways for this Knick team??

If the Bucks do not match that petty offer-sheet the Wolves gave to Session, then alot of people especially NBA players will look at the Bucks organization as just petty petty petty.
With the NBA economic market looking shady to where the salary-cap will be reduced a second year in a row, every NBA team should fix themselves to pay luxury tax this season to bring-up the market so there would be less of a chance the NBA salary-cap dont be reduced on one of the biggest star FA markets in the NBA in decades.
The Bucks organization should know this.

The Knicks would?ve been building their chances up higher for an elite 2010 FA by giving Sessions that same petty offer-sheet of $16M for 4 years (weeks ago)?..only our Knick management do not have any confidence within itself to rid itself of Jefferies ($6M) contract before the 2009-10 trading deadline. No Confidence!

Having Sessions $4M contract with Curry $11M as their highest contracts to start the 2010 offseason is more reasonable.
The confidence level shown this offseason by our Knick management were not high or optimistic at all for Knick-Fans or any 2009 or 2010 FA.
Last season Duhon & Nate held-down the backcourt by themselves all season long, a player like Sessions added with them this upcoming season would?ve been a great uplift to the Knicks guard rotation. Which could add temptation to SG-Wade, or SG-Joe Johnson, or even a healthy T-Mac for a cheap price in the 2010 offseason.
The Knicks benching selfish SG-Larry Hughes individual performance for speedy PG-Sessions talent would?ve been best for the Knicks team and a great guidance for the rookie combo-guard Douglas future growth on the team.
I'm sure that if the Knicks signed a second fiddle star to James first, then that would be enough to entice him to the apple. That's been stated as the goal indirectly.

1 All Star & 1 King.

We couldn't manage that with a Sessions signing because a Curry trade is so circumstancial and if it didn't eventuate, then that's ****ed everything entirely.

So,

The Knicks would?ve been building their chances up higher for an elite 2010 FA by giving Sessions that same petty offer-sheet of $16M for 4 years

Is missing the point.

The plan has never changed. The cap circumstances have. The immediate result isn't too pleasing... But it's still too early to throw stones.