Stephen Jackson to NYK?

JayJ44

Starter
On this rainy and dreary day in New York City this afternoon, Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington were at South Street Seaport for a block party put on by their sneaker company Protege. One of the MCs at the event asked Stack Jack in front of the crowd whether he thought the Warriors were going to make the playoffs. Jackson paused then smiled before responding, ?Um?I don?t think I?ll be a Warrior next year. I?m looking to leave.?
Harrington, who was standing beside Jackson, was gleaming with joy at this statement. As you all know, the two were teammates with each other for the Warriors and Harrington left on bad terms with the team - particularly Don Nelson. I asked Harrington if Jackson?s statement shocked him. He laughed then responded, ?No I wasn?t surprised. We talk all the time so I knew already. Honestly sometimes you need a change and I hope this change is to come out to New York - that would be nice.?
After they posed for pictures with fans, I was able to ask Jackson more about his bold statement.
Dime: You made a big declaration earlier today by saying you wanted out of Golden State. When did you decide this?
Stephen Jackson: It?s not about a decision I made. It?s just things are in the air right now. I really can?t get too much into it right now, but I?m just looking to go somewhere where I can go and win a championship.
Dime: Are the Warriors aware of this?
SJ: Yeah they all know.
Dime: Is there anywhere specifically you want to go?
SJ: Either Cleveland, anywhere in Texas or out here with Al in New York.
Dime: So what have you been up to this offseason?
SJ: I have a foundation. I opened a school, The Stephen Jackson academy in my hometown so that?s the big thing I?ve been doing this summer. I had my second annual foundation banquet. So it?s been a great summer for me, I got married this summer, so God has been good to me.
Dime: You look a lot bigger and stronger. Who?s been training you?
SJ: Well, basically I?ve been a lot with Monta Ellis a lot. I just play all year ?round, that?s the biggest thing with me. I really don?t do too much. One-on-one, working out with guys and running up hills, stuff like that I just play basketball. You know and it keeps me in shape. I love the game so I respect it.
Dime: Speaking of Monta, do you think he can play in the same backcourt with Stephen Curry?
SJ: I think so, because Curry?s more of an off guard and Monta is more of a point guard. But the way Don Nelson coaches and that style of play - anybody can fit in. Especially a shooter like Stephen Curry. So he?ll be fine.
Dime: Did you like being in Nellie?s system?
SJ: I loved it. It gave me a chance to show everything I could do on the court. It was great for me, but at this point, I?m 31 years old. I have four or five years left, I want to be in a situation where I can continually be in the playoffs and get another ring. So that?s where my mind is at now.
http://dimemag.com/2009/08/breaking-news-stephen-jackson-wants-out-of-golden-state/

His contract runs till 2012-2013, but maybe the trade could include Currry and/or Jeffries? He's a very good player, and Walsh knows him from his days in Indiana. If we were able to get rid of Curry AND Jeffries, then I would pull the trigger. Otherwise it doesn't seem worth it to sacrifice capspace.

LOL....they dont want to sign Sessions and tie up 4 million of cap space but would trade for Jackson who will cost at least 10 million in 2010? The only way that makes sense is if Curry is in the deal....which of course would be awesome, but highly unlikely. The Warriors won't see Jackson as a salary dump, they will want assets in return.

LOL....they dont want to sign Sessions and tie up 4 million of cap space but would trade for Jackson who will cost at least 10 million in 2010? The only way that makes sense is if Curry is in the deal....which of course would be awesome, but highly unlikely. The Warriors won't see Jackson as a salary dump, they will want assets in return.

3 words

not gonna happen

JayJ44

Starter

Stephen Jackson is a proven player in this league. He put up 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 7 assists last season. Sessions would be a nice pickup, but people need to stop acting like he's the savior for this franchise. There's some risk in just throwing money at young players who have yet to prove they deserve it. Donnie is doing the right thing. He offered like 4 million next season, and some unguaranteed money the 2nd year just to fill the requirement of 2 years for restricted free agents. No other team is offering more, so why shoot ourselves in the foot?

Stephen Jackson is a proven player in this league. He put up 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 7 assists last season. Sessions would be a nice pickup, but people need to stop acting like he's the savior for this franchise. There's some risk in just throwing money at young players who have yet to prove they deserve it. Donnie is doing the right thing. He offered like 4 million next season, and some unguaranteed money the 2nd year just to fill the requirement of 2 years for restricted free agents. No other team is offering more, so why shoot ourselves in the foot?

When did I say I want Sessions over Jackson? I was saying if we add Jackson without trading Curry, we won't have enough cap space for LeBron....does that sound like something Walsh would do? 4 million of cap space to Sessions is a no go, but 10 million to Jackson makes sense? Not to me.

I do agree there isn't a need to improve our offer. Sessions will have to accept it at some point-no better chance out there.

Kiyaman

Legend
Stephen Jackson wants another Championship Ring within his next 3 to 4 years in the league, and G.S. and N.Y. are not the teams to help him get it.

The Knicks don't have a 2-Guard (Hughes is a bigger joke than bum Crawful).
Crawford & Q.Richardson at the SG = 23 win seasons.

Stephen Jackson is one of the top premier 2 guards in the league to rebuild a system around.
Headcoach Don Nelson is not letting Jackson go anywhere anytime soon. Especially with all the things that Jackson could teach to the rookie sensation Stephen Curry.

New New York

Quiet Storm
There is so much wrong with the notion of The Knicks trading for Stephon Jackson I do not know where to start. And even more with the notion of us doing so, so that Jackson can be playing for a Title contender

So allow me to piggy back off of what Harper said with a four word response....When Hell Freezes Over

ANU

Starter
anybody seen I AM LEGEND? that scene where will smith starts yelling at the manikin? those are my sentiments.
no!
no!
no!

Paul1355

All Star
Good for our system but un-likely

Just because players are friends with each other and because he has a loud mouth does not mean he will be a Knick.

I agree with most posters on this thread so far....he is big money and his contract goes past 2010 which means he is NOT going to be a Knick as long a Donnie is in control.

Jackson has had off the court problems as well with arrests and i think some gun charges...NY does not need another negative news story....we had Marbury, Isiah and even Nate is getting in the negative spotlight of the media so let's not add fuel to a raging fire.

Guys like Jackson should not be in NY.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It wont happen. Jax contract is shit. He's a good guard and a tough player. I like tough players, they remind of the Knicks of the old days but timing is all wrong. Media are running out of shit to write about and we are running out. Knicks biggest move was signing Darko. Nothing else will happen until 2010 when Wade and James use the Knicks as leverage to get more money from their existing teams.

King Ewing

Banned
I say it probably 50 times a year, but NO ONE is wose then Knicks fans. You guys are unbelievable, you'll make a thread about any free agent/trade demand no matter who he is.

Are you serious man? Come on!

NOOO!

JayJ44

Starter
I say it probably 50 times a year, but NO ONE is wose then Knicks fans. You guys are unbelievable, you'll make a thread about any free agent/trade demand no matter who he is.

Are you serious man? Come on!

NOOO!

1209592336676.gif

nyk_nyk

All Star
WOW! Where do I start???

First of all, Jackson is due to make nearly 10 mil next season and on top of that just signed a 28 mil 3 yr extension. Even when including Curry in the trade (which I think is stupid), that does nothing for the 2010 plan since we'll be taking back a long term contract in exchange.

Second of all, do we not already have enough forwards stockpiled. To all the people who feel Jackson is a SG, sorry he's a legit SF.

Third, Jackson is a good player, but he's a me first type player and often breaks plays and takes some bad shots. If you hated Crawford then why would you accept Jackson???

Lastly, it's just a dumb effing trade to even consider. A team that already has a nucleus of definitive 1st and 2nd option go to guys would work better in this scenerio. For example, if SA didn't sign Jefferson then Jackson would work for them.

C'mon people, let's be a little more smarter about things like this. Just because a player says NYK doesn't mean we have to consider him.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Nothing else will happen until 2010 when Wade and James use the Knicks as leverage to get more money from their existing teams.
LOL. Do you seriously think Wade and LeBron need to use another team to get the max from their current teams?

Their contracts are already drawn up and it says MAX CONTRACT. There is no negotiating when it comes to them. Their teams offer them the max no matter what.