Rubio signs 6-year deal with Barcelona Regal

JayJ44

Starter
I don't think he's ever coming to the NBA. Not to the T-Wolves at least. David Kahn is such a dumbass. If he didn't take him, he probably would have fallen to us. **** David Kahn and **** the T-Wolves.

____I♥NY____

Benchwarmer
Y! Sports Reveals

After weeks of courting Spanish league officials for a favorable contract buyout, the Minnesota Timberwolves? brash general manager, David Kahn, failed to deliver point guard Ricky Rubio(notes), sources told Yahoo! Sports on Monday night.
Rubio ? the fifth pick in the 2009 NBA draft ? has agreed to a six-year contract with Regal FC Barcelona that doesn?t allow for an escape to the NBA until 2011. Kahn made several trips to Spain to try to get Rubio?s previous team, DKV Joventut, to lower his $8 million buyout price, but couldn?t get it done.

The Timberwolves will retain Rubio?s rights, and will now hand the team?s point guard duties to rookie Jonny Flynn(notes). Kahn drafted Flynn one pick behind Rubio.
Rubio, 18, apparently won?t play for the T?wolves until the 2011-12 season, and that?s devastating for the franchise?s new regime, which hoped to tout Rubio as one of its fresh-faced stars. Minnesota was able to legally pay only $500,000 toward the buyout, and the relative constraints of the Twin Cities? market made the accumulation of endorsement deals difficult to close the gap on the buyout figure. Rubio would?ve made nearly $3.3 million in the NBA this season as the fifth pick in the draft.
Rubio is one of the most celebrated young prospects to ever come out of Europe, a cult figure who has played pro ball since his 15th birthday. Kahn, the NBA Developmental League owner who was the surprise choice of Minnesota?s ownership to replace former GM Kevin McHale, has banked a lot of his early credibility on how he?s handled Rubio?s buyout negotiations.
Rubio and his family were never enamored with Minnesota, and along with agent Dan Fegan, longed for a big-city franchise to market Rubio?s wares. Now, there?s a chance that Minnesota eventually will have to trade Rubio?s rights ? perhaps to the New York Knicks, a preferred destination ? when it?s time for the point guard to leave Europe in 2011.
For now, Rubio will play for Spain in the upcoming European Championships in Poland. After that, he?ll be with Barcelona for a minimum of two years. His future in the NBA ? with Minnesota, or elsewhere ? remains in the future.

Looks like we got the fifth pick without losing anyone. David Kahn made his first mistake as GM. And now we have earned credibility. Something for a big free agent to look forward to.

JayJ44

Starter
____I♥NY____;99985 said:
Looks like we got the fifth pick without losing anyone. David Kahn made his first mistake as GM. And now we have earned credibility. Something for a big free agent to look forward to.

Sounds like that's not true, unfortunately. Twitter from Alan Hahn:
Sorry to burst the bubble...Source tells me the Rubio-#Knicks rumor is "way off". Kahn will prob wait a year before considers trade.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
KAAAHHHN!!!
startrek2khan.jpg

What a douche. Traded away Foye and Miller for nothing. If he had drafted Curry and Flynn, Rubio would have fallen to us and we would have our franchise PG. Then there would be no need to sign Sessions and eat up cap space.

so i guess kahn's going with the "if we cant have him, nobody can" mentality.

not entirely out of hand, but the rest of his moves just dont make ****ing sense.

this man not only has millions of dollars in his control, but now the life of a teenage kid. i really feel bad for rubio.

Red

TYPE-A
Weekly rant...

Yo Kahn, wtf are you doing? Newsflash you greedy m*therf*cker... aren't you cool with Walsh? Didn't you know Rubio was on the NYK's radar? O.k. so why did you draft him AFTER Flynn and all the other trades you made knowing this? Knowing he would of been a starter in our system and would've had limited minutes on your limited team, in your limited pathetic city; plus you have limited resources, and are far from saavy enough to get a deal done which frankly speaking wouldn't have made a difference for your (repeated) pathetic franchise? Aren't you new to your position? Didn't you want to improve your team and make a name for yourself or was your goal to further emphasize why a pathetic team in Minny hired a pathetic replacement for another pathetic GM in the form of McHale? Was that it? Well great job you stupid-a$$ schmuck! You have successfully convinced everyone why Minny is Minny and why they even hired you! Having 4 first rnd picks wasn't enough right? Getting Flynn wasn't enough right? [Noooo this new n*gga wants to f*cking reinvent the f*cking wheel. He's smarter than everyone!] You have managed to waste multiple draft picks, retard a potentially good career and reinforce the losing culture in your city in a few months. Let's not follow the book, play our hand conservative, nooooooo we want to make a splash. We want to remind everyone why we are who we are. Great job! Time to put in a call to my girl Karma.... can't wait til' she calls me back (wink)! Not getting Rubio isn't enough, I want long standing pain and suffering!!!!!