Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #1 Priority this Year = Trade Nate Robinson

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

how the hell getting rid of Nate is a priority?

priority #1 is getting rid of Curry/Jeffries for expiring deals... plain and simple.

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    haha i cant believe trading nate comes before

hughes
    curry
    jefferies
    lee

i say lee because lee wants so much more money than nate.

these guys are cash clowns that must be dealt with accordingly.
    Why is Hughes a priority? His contract has no 2010 implications, he is our best SG -in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king-, and he is probably our best perimeter defender.

Mike Dantoni's system has made worst players than Hughes look solid -Q Richardson (w/ The Suns), Jimmy Jackson (passed his prime), Tim Thomas.- so there is plenty of reason to think that there is hope for Hughes to play well for us.

Three clutch FT's to help us beat Detroit at home and 39 pts just a game before that. He came to us after sitting 16 straight games (4 weeks worth of action) he played hurt for a couple of games too!

I don't expect a return to the All Star game for him, but he should look pretty good for us

I bring up his numbers for that reason alone, that he creates his own shots. Until we get a leader in here a legit star, I dont mind nate doing what he does right now, I find it valuable because he shows guts to make things happen when no one else wants to. If we get a lebron, or wade in here, Nates role will be diminished and he will accept the fact that his role is energy player off the bench not go to guy.

Default Do not agree with this

The only thing I agree with is that Nate can't control with his emotions, that he won't be satisfied playing 12 min a game, and that he will onyl play one more year....

Fact is that he willl play more than 12 min a game, Mike D and the staff is tired of Nate being a baby so they won't tolerate his rants, and Nate having only two years left?? or something of that nature as if saying he is a washed up player...this guys can jump over 4 feet...he will be around for a while.

His shot has developed tremendously...he should just drive to the hoop and draw as many fouls as possible to be a level up. He has to play like Dwayne Wade..little guys get the foul calls, especially with A+ athletic effort of always driving towards the basket.

Nate can be a starter on most teams, as long as he is consistent which is his main flaw.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    From wikipedia:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

Essentially it allows a team to resign their players regardless of their cap situation. But it costs money to retain the Bird Rights and eats into our available cap in 2010. If we retain their Bird Rights we won't have enough to go after a max-contract free agent in 2010. So therefore we will forego retaining Lee's and Nate's Bird Rights an let them be unrestricted free agents next year.

It's possible we will sign Lee as an unrestricted free-agent next year but definitely not both Lee and Nate. We will not have enough cap space to do it. But that then leaves us with only 8 players on our roster.

Am I the only one worried about only having 6 players on the roster next year and not enough cap space to build a team? At the start of free agency in 2010, we will only have Curry, Jeffries, Chandler, Gallo, Douglas and Hill on the roster (+ some remaining scrubs = Joe Crawford + our 2010 draft pick).

Best case projections have us having $11 mil remaining after a max-contract. So we sign Lee at $8 mil. That leaves us with $3 mil to sign 1 more free agent (possibly Nate??). So....Curry, Jeffries, Chandler, Gallo, Douglas, Hill, max-contract, Lee and one other free-agent. That's 9 players (with no starting PG). You have to have a minimum of 13 to fill a roster. Any money spent (e.g. mid-level) eats in 2011 cap space.

Am I the only one that sees this as a potential problem or am I wrong?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    The only thing I agree with is that Nate can't control with his emotions, that he won't be satisfied playing 12 min a game, and that he will onyl play one more year....

Fact is that he willl play more than 12 min a game, Mike D and the staff is tired of Nate being a baby so they won't tolerate his rants, and Nate having only two years left?? or something of that nature as if saying he is a washed up player...this guys can jump over 4 feet...he will be around for a while.

His shot has developed tremendously...he should just drive to the hoop and draw as many fouls as possible to be a level up. He has to play like Dwayne Wade..little guys get the foul calls, especially with A+ athletic effort of always driving towards the basket.

Nate can be a starter on most teams, as long as he is consistent which is his main flaw.
    You're on point with this one.

Only a hater would talk **** about an up and coming star like nate. He played well for our knicks!!! Support the lil' mofo

I am not questioning Nate's effort. He plays hard.

Nate is the only way we are going to ship out a big contract. Lee would have to be a sign and trade for the next team.

Nate is going to come down to 3 issues:

1 -- he will leave via free agency

2 -- he will want too much money to stay a Knick and probably Longterm

3 -- if we don't trade him early we risk losing our bargaining power.

So, Nate must go or else we have to find a way to do something in a 3 way deal to dump contracts.

Originally Posted by richtree
    I am not questioning Nate's effort. He plays hard.

Nate is the only way we are going to ship out a big contract. Lee would have to be a sign and trade for the next team.

Nate is going to come down to 3 issues:

1 -- he will leave via free agency

2 -- he will want too much money to stay a Knick and probably Longterm

3 -- if we don't trade him early we risk losing our bargaining power.

So, Nate must go or else we have to find a way to do something in a 3 way deal to dump contracts.
    You completely changed your train of thought here. First it was "N8" is going to slow down. Now it is "He is our only chance to get rid of our big worthless contracts." What is it then? If your last statement is true, our priority isn't shipping N8. It is only a bitter pill we'll have to swallow if we want to move ahead as far our real No. 1 priority is concerned: moving Eddy Curry's contract.

Its funny to me, how if nate puts up the same numbers he does now and the knicks have a real center, and a legit pg win 45 games, we all say he is vital to our winning ways. I believe half of our wins last year came due to nate taking over games. I dont believe he is selfish or has a me versus the other team mentality, I feel he does what it takes when no one else will to win basketball games. He takes the shots duhon air balls, lee passes up. he is our second best volume rebounder as per his height minutes played and time in the paint. led our team in steals, and was our number one fourth quarter scorer, and you guys cast him off as a flaw filled cancer. Typical new york fans, take our best and knock them down because we suck as a team. Get over it, Nate is probably our most talented, most efficient scoring, most energetic, enthusiastic, intense, consistent player on the team.

By Alan Hahn

Nate Robinson will be signed to a one-year contract today and, according to a person with knowledge of the situation, Robinson, who was a restricted free agent who earlier this summer told the Knicks he had no interest in playing anywhere else, will get more than his $2.9M qualifying offer. There are also performance bonuses included in the deal.

David Lee, the team's other restricted free agent, is still unsigned, though his agent, Mark Bartelstein, and Donnie Walsh are in the midst of negotiatins on a one-year deal.

Was told the Nate Robinson signing won't be officially announced today. Details? Not sure. An agreement is in place, however.

As for the trade-veto question, I was told Nate would have to consent to any trades.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Yikes! It looks like Nate may have a trade-veto in his new deal. So much for trading him this year to get rid of Eddy or Jeffries. Oh well, he's a 1 year rental I guess.

Let's hope not. Regardless, he's gonna be what he is wherever he goes and I can't see much of a style change occurring in him. So he must love NY.

I won't miss him too much as long as he's used to bait some moronic GM into taking on Curry.

Banned

I agree. Trade him...

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    Its funny to me, how if nate puts up the same numbers he does now and the knicks have a real center, and a legit pg win 45 games, we all say he is vital to our winning ways. I believe half of our wins last year came due to nate taking over games. I dont believe he is selfish or has a me versus the other team mentality, I feel he does what it takes when no one else will to win basketball games. He takes the shots duhon air balls, lee passes up. he is our second best volume rebounder as per his height minutes played and time in the paint. led our team in steals, and was our number one fourth quarter scorer, and you guys cast him off as a flaw filled cancer. Typical new york fans, take our best and knock them down because we suck as a team. Get over it, Nate is probably our most talented, most efficient scoring, most energetic, enthusiastic, intense, consistent player on the team.
    Yeah, and I can name you a bunch of games he he took us out of. How many games did he go into the 4th quarter and decide to drive 4 or 5 plays in the row, and then we're suddenly down 4 instead of up. He blew a lot of games as well, don't ignore that fact.

Nate is what he is...

Sometimes it appears the offense runs better with him on the floor, they are definitely faster. At the same time, his ball handling leaves something to be desired, and sometimes it looks like he is just out of control. I can remember several times where he just lost control of the ball running down court.

He's a high energy guy off the bench, but is he a particularly good POINT GUARD? No, not really, he doesn't have the ball handling or passing ability for that. But he IS a good basketball player.

He's fine for what he is, but what he isn't is a point guard.