Dantoni calls Hill the "P" word

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...faces-steep-climb-getting-nba-ready-1.1490012

Project is a word I would not mind hearing when drafting a player in the mid to late first round or early second round -ie. BJ Mullins, DeAndre Jordan- but when you take a player with the 8th overall pick it makes my skin crawl.

Now we all know from watching Summer League that Hill was not going to be instant impact type rookie, but project makes me think of Yinka Dare and Shawn Bradley. I would much rather here things like "he's got a lot to learn,but has great potential". I mean I wanted Jrue Holiday, but trusted Donnie's instinct on taking Hill and in a weak draft you can take a chance on a player who may not be ready to contribute instantly but has a chance to be good. After all, Andrew Bynum was thought to be a project and he too looked lost as a rookie, but he continued to work and has the potential to be one of the leauge's premier Centers.

And the thing we should be encouraged by is that Hill has as strong a work ethic as anybody. He went from an unknown recruit at Arizona to a lottery pick because of his hard work, so he has been here before. Plus the kid loves the game and just started playing so the desire to get better is there -he will not just try to coast by on natural ability like some other big men we have on our team-.

Another encouraging sign on the rookie front is Toney Douglas..... it appears that Dantoni really likes him. It would be nice to get another steal like David and Nate. I like that he plays D, it sounds as if he has the same sort of heart as Nate. The ability to hit shots will always be there and will come as he learns the NBA game, but the fact that he prides himself on D could make him a major part of the team in the upcoming years. I predict his minutes will be up and down all season and he will probably be in and out of the rotation a bit, but he could come on strong for us next season.

JayJ44

Starter
Yeah, this shouldn't surprise anyone. I knew he was a project when we drafted him. It's not the worst thing in the world, he has some time to develop behind Lee, Darko, etc. Hopefully he can turn into something special.

Toney Douglas on the other hand is NBA ready. I see him contributing a lot this season. In fact, I honestly see him starting by the time the season's over.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Yeah, this shouldn't surprise anyone. I knew he was a project when we drafted him. It's not the worst thing in the world, he has some time to develop behind Lee, Darko, etc. Hopefully he can turn into something special.

Toney Douglas on the other hand is NBA ready. I see him contributing a lot this season. In fact, I honestly see him starting by the time the season's over.

Totally agree.

Plus, Anthony Randolph was considered a project last year. Look how he is doing.

It's fine by me, I knew he was a project coming into this, which does scare me a little considering juniors in college aren't deemed projects (the term usually goes to underclassmen) but he'll get a decent amount of minutes this year, and we'll see how it pans out.

By the way, no one should be expecting playoffs this year. Seems some of you guys are overly optimistic. This year is all about our players continuing to develop.

Red

TYPE-A
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...faces-steep-climb-getting-nba-ready-1.1490012

Project is a word I would not mind hearing when drafting a player in the mid to late first round or early second round -ie. BJ Mullins, DeAndre Jordan- but when you take a player with the 8th overall pick it makes my skin crawl.

Now we all know from watching Summer League that Hill was not going to be instant impact type rookie, but project makes me think of Yinka Dare and Shawn Bradley. I would much rather here things like "he's got a lot to learn,but has great potential". I mean I wanted Jrue Holiday, but trusted Donnie's instinct on taking Hill and in a weak draft you can take a chance on a player who may not be ready to contribute instantly but has a chance to be good. After all, Andrew Bynum was thought to be a project and he too looked lost as a rookie, but he continued to work and has the potential to be one of the leauge's premier Centers.

And the thing we should be encouraged by is that Hill has as strong a work ethic as anybody. He went from an unknown recruit at Arizona to a lottery pick because of his hard work, so he has been here before. Plus the kid loves the game and just started playing so the desire to get better is there -he will not just try to coast by on natural ability like some other big men we have on our team-.

Another encouraging sign on the rookie front is Toney Douglas..... it appears that Dantoni really likes him. It would be nice to get another steal like David and Nate. I like that he plays D, it sounds as if he has the same sort of heart as Nate. The ability to hit shots will always be there and will come as he learns the NBA game, but the fact that he prides himself on D could make him a major part of the team in the upcoming years. I predict his minutes will be up and down all season and he will probably be in and out of the rotation a bit, but he could come on strong for us next season.

Yeah, Bynum is being coached by a HOF'er. So I guess Hill's progress can be attributed to D'Antoni, you confident?

Honestly Hill should be the least player to worry/think about this season.

We still have plenty of young up and comers with more to prove...
Gallo, Lee, N8, Chandler and [your favorite] 27yr old Curry!

These are the ones expected to make the playoffs, not Hill (though a valid contribution would be appreciated)

Our priority is making the playoffs- period.

On a side note there is an infinite amount of players who even some of the best Critics couldn't gage their output [high or low]

When a rookie does well- in whatever year know-it-alls point to his previous highlights as evidence they knew it. Conversely when they fail or fall short they bring up their follies. All in all it's 50/50 and those that can will rise to the top, Hill will have plenty of opportunity.

Totally agree.

Plus, Anthony Randolph was considered a project last year. Look how he is doing.

It's fine by me, I knew he was a project coming into this, which does scare me a little considering juniors in college aren't deemed projects (the term usually goes to underclassmen) but he'll get a decent amount of minutes this year, and we'll see how it pans out.

By the way, no one should be expecting playoffs this year. Seems some of you guys are overly optimistic. This year is all about our players continuing to develop.

By the way...

I repeat and quote D Walsh: We want to make the playoffs THIS year.

To tell a Knick (or any fan) to "not expect the playoffs this year" Before the season even starts is blasphemous! Slap yourself

Project or not, nothing is guaranteed. :crossfingers:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Knew Hill was a project when we drafted him. Which is why I hated the pick. I said after the draft that he's a career bench player and I still think he will be. The dude is tiny too. He's smaller than Lee and he's supposed to be our Center of the future?!? I guess if we don't sign Lee next year (highly likely) we have him as a PF.

By the way...

I repeat and quote D Walsh: We want to make the playoffs THIS year.

To tell a Knick (or any fan) to "not expect the playoffs this year" Before the season even starts is blasphemous! Slap yourself

Project or not, nothing is guaranteed. :crossfingers:

What is Donnie supposed to say to the media? "This is another throw away year, don't expect much, it's all about next year"???

Even though everybody that doesn't have their heads up their asses can see it's the truth.

If you're expecting the playoffs this year, then you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment. We're still in the rebuilding phase. So don't come whining that Donnie and D'Antoni suck and should be fired at the end of the year because everybody knows this team is not very good.

richtree

Rotation player
bottom line is they thought hill would play bigger. Now they realize he is an athlete that needs a year or 2 to get stronger, otherwise he can rebound and score and the NBA level for more that 10 mintues a game.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
First of all, LJ4ptplay is a 100% right; it's all about next year. The only goal is to make this year as entertaining as possible with what we have and not to stray from the plan unless a deal comes up that is too good to be true. As far as Hill goes, I see a guy who will eventually become a decent defender, a decent re-bounder and a dunking big man. The Knicks need to put him out there as much as possible to get him the experience. Hill will do fine in time! Mark my words, if he gets a decent amount of playing time, he will start to really show his true potential!

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Knew Hill was a project when we drafted him. Which is why I hated the pick. I said after the draft that he's a career bench player and I still think he will be. The dude is tiny too. He's smaller than Lee and he's supposed to be our Center of the future?!? I guess if we don't sign Lee next year (highly likely) we have him as a PF.

How is he smaller than D-Lee ?

D-Lee is 6'9'' 240 and Hill is 6'10'' 232. Lee is a lil bulkier but he also is in his 5 year in the league. Hill needs to bulk up about 20 pounds and will be ok. Not sure he can be a center for us but will have a good size for PF.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
How is he smaller than D-Lee ?

D-Lee is 6'9'' 240 and Hill is 6'10'' 232. Lee is a lil bulkier but he also is in his 5 year in the league. Hill needs to bulk up about 20 pounds and will be ok. Not sure he can be a center for us but will have a good size for PF.

RealGM has him listed at 6'9" 232. After looking at the media day photos, I believe it. And I wonder about 232 being correct. He looked like a slightly taller Balkman in those photos.

Kiyaman

Legend
Time to hate on Kiyaman!!!

Sorry Dantoni, but your words are garbage on any bigman in the NBA.
After Dantoni did not make any noise or fuss over the trades of Kurt Thomas & Marion, Dantoni and his expensive coaching-staff that knows nothing of defense which was the strongest pursuit Jordan Hill showed improvement each game in the summer league....makes me sick that Dantoni is a Knick coach.

If Wilcox average over 24 mpg for Detroit this season with Ben & Villenueva in a .500 season....I hope Knick-Fans learn how clueless Dantoni is at coaching & directing bigmen by DNP Wilcox when the Knicks needed another bigman rebounder the most last season.

TunerAddict

Starter
After Dantoni did not make any noise or fuss over the trades of Kurt Thomas & Marion, Dantoni and his expensive coaching-staff that knows nothing of defense which was the strongest pursuit Jordan Hill showed improvement each game in the summer league....makes me sick that Dantoni is a Knick coach.

If Wilcox average over 24 mpg for Detroit this season with Ben & Villenueva in a .500 season....I hope Knick-Fans learn how clueless Dantoni is at coaching & directing bigmen by DNP Wilcox when the Knicks needed another bigman rebounder the most last season.

What? English please.

Kiyaman

Legend

What is Donnie supposed to say to the media? "This is another throw away year, don't expect much, it's all about next year"???

Even though everybody that doesn't have their heads up their asses can see it's the truth.

If you're expecting the playoffs this year, then you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment. We're still in the rebuilding phase. So don't come whining that Donnie and D'Antoni suck and should be fired at the end of the year because everybody knows this team is not very good.

This offseason Walsh invest in a big & small (Hill & Douglas).
The previous offseason Walsh invest in a big and 2 smalls (Gallo, Duhon, and Roberson).
All were/are one to three year projects.

Walsh is going into his second regular season.....a season inwhich he will probably lose two of the Knicks best players (Nate & Lee).
So Walsh 3rd season with two star players with the project-players......

Toons

is the Bo$$

Cosign. But after 1 preseason game every1 is hating on hill?