Thread: Should Knicks approach Atlanta about Johnson trade?

Hybrid View

Default Should Knicks approach Atlanta about Johnson trade?

An interesting article suggesting that Atlanta should consider trading Joe Johnson. I would love to see the Knicks put together a trade for Johnson!!
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If the Knicks could trade for him, I believe they could sin him after making 2 free agent signings. You could potentially have a starting lineup with Bosh, James, Johnson! NICE!!!

How would that be possible?

James will cost at least $23-25m per year.

Add him to a roster of Lee, Robinson, Chandler, and Gallinari, and the Knicks probably have roughly $20 million left under the cap. Add him to a roster of Chandler and Gallinari alone, and the Knicks have roughly $35 million left under the cap.

Bosh is currently earning $16m +

With Johnson on board I can't see how we'd possibly even make roster requirements??

If we traded for him we wouldn't be able to retain his Bird Rights so he would be an unrestricted free agent next year. Same goes for Lee, Nate, Harrington, Darko and practically the entire Knicks roster.

This is the dilemma Donnie is going to have to deal with next year if he can't trade Curry and Jeffries by the deadline. 6 players on the roster and only enough money to sign 1 max and resign Lee. Essentially an 8 man roster when you need a minimum of 13.

How is Donnie going to succesfully accomplish the 2010 plan if Jeffries and Curry are not traded? Somebody please let me know.

I definitely think JJ can be traded but not for expiring contracts. Those contracts are way more valuable than his talent. Curry is ours until his contract expires. There is nothing we can do about that train wreck. Our best bet is to hope Curry somehow magically rejuvinates himself and becomes a dominant low post center.

The only teams that might be willing to trade for JJ and send us expiring contracts in return are legitimate title contenders. Even in that scenerio those teams may feel like they can still get it done without JJ and shed some salary at the end of the season.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think Bird rights always come into play. We obvioulsy couldn't afford lebron bosh and johnson. But if we had Johnson this season we'd be able to have Lee, Johnson, and Lebron. The only real important facet would be signing Lebron first. Since we already have Johnson and Lee as players we can go over the cap to resign a player under our control... You can't go over the cap when bringing in an outside player but you can go over the cap when resigning your own free agent.

You just have to sign Lebron first in order to have the money on the cap initially to sign him. It's like the Houston deal from years past. We already had an inflatted cap but we still gave Houston a massive extension because you can resign your own players over the cap.

Originally Posted by GetRealistic
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think Bird rights always come into play. We obvioulsy couldn't afford lebron bosh and johnson. But if we had Johnson this season we'd be able to have Lee, Johnson, and Lebron. The only real important facet would be signing Lebron first. Since we already have Johnson and Lee as players we can go over the cap to resign a player under our control... You can't go over the cap when bringing in an outside player but you can go over the cap when resigning your own free agent.

You just have to sign Lebron first in order to have the money on the cap initially to sign him. It's like the Houston deal from years past. We already had an inflatted cap but we still gave Houston a massive extension because you can resign your own players over the cap.
    Just retaining Lee's Bird Rights will not allow us to sign a max-free agent next year. Best case cap projections have the Knicks with $28 mil in cap space.

Retaining Bird Rights for a player is 1.5 times the player's final year salary. This amount eats into the cap space.

Lee is getting $7-8 mil this year so therefore it will cost us $10.5-12 mil against our cap space to retain Lee's Bird Rights. That would only leave us potentially $16-17.5 in cap space after retaining Lee's Bird Rights. The low end is definitely not enough to sign a max, the high end may be just enough.

Throw in Johnson's Bird Rights and there is no way to sign Lebron, Lee and Johnson.

Bird Rights were essentially established for teams over the cap so they could keep their stars. It doesn't work too well for a team under the cap and the majority of it's roster as free agents.

There, I hope that explains the dilemma I've been ranting about for the past few weeks. I really don't see how Donnie can bring in max free agents if Curry and Jeffries are not traded.

Possibly the best option, as OldTimer suggested, is to retain the players that play well for us this year (e.g. Lee, Nate, Harrington...maybe Duhon and Darko) and then go after 1 max free agent in 2011 when Jeffries and Curry are off the books.

Superstar

Default 2010

We will not be able to pay LeBron James, or any other max free agent, more than 30% of the 2010 cap. If the 2010 cap is $53M, LeBron's 2010 Knick contract cannot be more than $15.9M, i.e, 30% of $53M.

LJ4 is right. With Curry, we will have trouble putting together a 2010 team with only one max free agent. With a max free agent taking up $15.9M, Curry and Jefferies taking up $18M, and Gallo, Chandler, Hill and Douglas, another $9M or so, we will only have about $10M left to fill up a roster.

I believe that Walsh, given the difficulties of trading Curry, is thinking of adding a second max free agent in 2011, not 2010. Besides, I do not think he is counting on LeBron. To be sure, however, he's hoping.

Superstar

Default Bird Rights and the Salary Cap

It is my understanding that when determining whether a team (the "acquiring team") is under the cap and able to sign another team's free agent, all the acquiring team's free agents' contract amounts are counted even though they are not signed. In fact, I believe that the cap number for a free agent is something more than the prior year contract amount. Thus, in order to get under the cap to sign a max free agent, the Knicks will be required to renounce their Bird rights to Harrington, Lee, Nate etc.

Originally Posted by hometheaterguy
    An interesting article suggesting that Atlanta should consider trading Joe Johnson. I would love to see the Knicks put together a trade for Johnson!!
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If the Knicks could trade for him, I believe they could sin him after making 2 free agent signings. You could potentially have a starting lineup with Bosh, James, Johnson! NICE!!!
    Yea Johnson = No Lebron

You need an all star guard with an all star forward...I'm more content with Johnson and Amare or Lebron and Bosh if you know what I mean.

And i always saw Johnson being a Knick...funny thing is that when i play basketball video games i always wind up signing Joe Johnson on the Knicks lol In all seriousness...Mike and Donnie should go for a top Big man and a top guard.

sorry dude this isnt nba live where you can override the salary or just create your team, do you know anything about basketball? that lineup is impossible.