Thread: How to shed 10 million w out trading Curry/ not having a pick next year a good thing?

Hybrid View

Default How to shed 10 million w out trading Curry/ not having a pick next year a good thing?

Looks like Isiah made have done us a bit of a favor in trading our pick to Utah. Lottery picks make anywhere from 2 to 5 million dollars their rookie season. If the Knicks were to have a pick in the draft this year that money would be on the books July 1st, thus counting against our cap. 2 million makes a world of a difference if the NBA cap comes in at the rock bottom figure of 50 million.

Well like they say, "Dumb luck, is better than no luck at all"

Ok, so here is how we shed 10 million without having to trade Curry. It has to happen in this order

1.Trade Jefferies: ok so this is a no-brainer, and still thought to be a long shot. But, if Jared Jefferies can put up decent numbers (6 pts 4 rebs 2 ast 1 stl) then he could be the type of player off the bench an already good team would want. Washington,The Spurs,The Celtics and The Nuggets are all teams that could make use of him off the bench and have no intentions on being players in the 2010 FA market thus getting his two year deal for an expiring contract is a fair deal to them.

2. (not going to go over well) Trade either Wilson or Danillo: The bottom line is that these two players can not co-exist. They occupy the same position and while Danillo can slide to the PF just like Wilson can play some SG, neither player should be counted on in those position full-time. I would gladly trade either for Rubio who's contract would not effect our cap into 2012, plus Rubio would make NY a desirable place to be at. Minny needs a SF for the future -we got two- we need a PG for the future-they got 3- lets make a deal! Of course we could use one of these two players to get a team to take Jefferies in the likely event Jefferies plays as good as he always has as a Knick

Trading Danillo after/with Jefferies would actually cut 10.1 million in off the books in its self bringing us to 16 million and trading Wilson after/with Jefferies would save us 8.9 million bring us down to 18.2 million.

3. Buyout Curry: Trading this guy is looking like mission impossible and if he is not traded by draft night next year we just buy him out the next day for 9.6 million. That would free up 1.5 million for us

so lets look at the numbers

Jefferies traded for expiring deal = 6.8

Trading Wilson= 2.1

Curry Buyout= 1.5

That would give us 10.4 million with a 17 million dollars on the books. Now the cap at the absolute worst comes in at 50 million then we now have 33 million to spend.

Best case the cap comes in at 55 million with us making these moves and we have 38 million! That allows for us to retain Lee and Nate's bird rights plus get one Max FA and another All Star calliber player

lol - you're right...it's not going to go over well
    I think Gallo is the only untouchable on the knicks right now.
    Chandler can be traded but I highly doubt it will be to help move Jefferies contract....most likely it will be for Curry's

If Jefferies 3 of 4 shooting from downtown was no fluke in the last preseason game, I can see him being easily traded for an expiring if he keeps that up.

Unless of course, say Houston realizes that McGrady's comeback is well like all the others and he can't play this season...and with Yao out with the foot fracture...
    Right now they have 6'6 Hayes playing center, with no backup C and that's not going to cut it. Atleast if Curry gets back in decent shape by november, they would have a servicable bigman, plus a backup in Jefferies and then there's nate and chandler to pick up the scoring load...since mcgrady and yao are out.
    And well $3mil in cash to sweeten the deal.

I'd hate to lose chandler, but there's a better SF that we're trying to catch next summer.

McGrady = $23.2 mil

for

Curry = $10.5 mil
    Jefferies = $6.5 mil
    Nate = $4 mil
    Chandler = $1.2 mil
    Cash = $3 mil
    Total = $25.2 mil

That would be a HUGE amount of capspace next summer for 2 max free agents and the ability to resign Lee and get some other decent fill in pieces to round out the roster...

A knicks fan can dream right! lol
    Last edited by Trin_Starr; Oct 08, 2009 at 07:00.

Originally Posted by Trin_Starr
    lol - you're right...it's not going to go over well
    I think Gallo is the only untouchable on the knicks right now.
    Chandler can be traded but I highly doubt it will be to help move Jefferies contract....most likely it will be for Curry's

If Jefferies 3 of 4 shooting from downtown was no fluke in the last preseason game, I can see him being easily traded for an expiring if he keeps that up.

Unless of course, say Houston realizes that McGrady's comeback is well like all the others and he can't play this season...and with Yao out with the foot fracture...
    Right now they have 6'6 Hayes playing center, with no backup C and that's not going to cut it. Atleast if Curry gets back in decent shape by november, they would have a servicable bigman, plus a backup in Jefferies and then there's nate and chandler to pick up the scoring load...since mcgrady and yao are out.
    And well $3mil in cash to sweeten the deal.

I'd hate to lose chandler, but there's a better SF that we're trying to catch next summer.

McGrady = $23.2 mil

for

Curry = $10.5 mil
    Jefferies = $6.5 mil
    Nate = $4 mil
    Chandler = $1.2 mil
    Cash = $3 mil
    Total = $25.2 mil

That would be a HUGE amount of capspace next summer for 2 max free agents and the ability to resign Lee and get some other decent fill in pieces to round out the roster...

A knicks fan can dream right! lol

I know what you mean about Gallo's untouchable status, but like I said, can he and Chandler co-exist? Danillo is probably the better player of the two, but cap is the name of the game now! Shedding a really good player to allow us the ability to go after two max FA's might be worth it.... maybe? Plus I am suggesting trading him to Minny for Rubio which fills a void we have and would give us an equally good young player.

I like your Houston trade, but it requires way too much from Eddy Curry, plus Houston also is looking to be players in the 2010 FA market, so adding Curry hurts that. I like the idea tho

I think we can pawn Jefferies off on Washington for Mike James. James means nothing to them, so losing him and getting a player they could use would be a win win.

look people the plan is not only 2010 u guys a ****ing dumb for thinking that we are only getting one player then in 2011 we are getting antoher player 2011 is good also u have a lot of free agents that a very good like chris paul and carmelo anthony. the knicks are not going to trade their future talents

Originally Posted by knicksfancris
    look people the plan is not only 2010 u guys a ****ing dumb for thinking that we are only getting one player then in 2011 we are getting antoher player 2011 is good also u have a lot of free agents that a very good like chris paul and carmelo anthony. the knicks are not going to trade their future talents
    How are we going to get another max player in 2011?

After we get a max player in 2010 we will only have $11 mil left over. $8 mil to Lee then leaves us with only $3 mil and a roster of 8 players (Curry, Jeffries, Gallo, Chandler, Hill, Douglas, Lee and a max player). Unless we try to fill the minimum of 13 players on a roster with only 1 year contracts again, every penny spent on another long term deal will eat into 2011's cap space. Curry's and Jeffries' contracts equal about 1 max contract.

With the way the cap is set up, I think it's impossible for any team to sign 2 max stars. The only way I can see a team having 2 max stars is by drafting one first and then signing another. Or pulling off some miracle trade with expiring contracts.

What the hell are you talking about?

doesnt curry contract ends in 2011 and jamal jeffries to

Oh ok - so I'm ****ing dumb?
    Don't you know how to read the forum rules???

I guess not.....so here's a present for you.

ahhh I love seeing the mods again

Originally Posted by New New York
    Looks like Isiah made have done us a bit of a favor in trading our pick to Utah. Lottery picks make anywhere from 2 to 5 million dollars their rookie season. If the Knicks were to have a pick in the draft this year that money would be on the books July 1st, thus counting against our cap. 2 million makes a world of a difference if the NBA cap comes in at the rock bottom figure of 50 million.

Well like they say, "Dumb luck, is better than no luck at all"

Ok, so here is how we shed 10 million without having to trade Curry. It has to happen in this order

1.Trade Jefferies: ok so this is a no-brainer, and still thought to be a long shot. But, if Jared Jefferies can put up decent numbers (6 pts 4 rebs 2 ast 1 stl) then he could be the type of player off the bench an already good team would want. Washington,The Spurs,The Celtics and The Nuggets are all teams that could make use of him off the bench and have no intentions on being players in the 2010 FA market thus getting his two year deal for an expiring contract is a fair deal to them.

2. (not going to go over well) Trade either Wilson or Danillo: The bottom line is that these two players can not co-exist. They occupy the same position and while Danillo can slide to the PF just like Wilson can play some SG, neither player should be counted on in those position full-time. I would gladly trade either for Rubio who's contract would not effect our cap into 2012, plus Rubio would make NY a desirable place to be at. Minny needs a SF for the future -we got two- we need a PG for the future-they got 3- lets make a deal! Of course we could use one of these two players to get a team to take Jefferies in the likely event Jefferies plays as good as he always has as a Knick

Trading Danillo after/with Jefferies would actually cut 10.1 million in off the books in its self bringing us to 16 million and trading Wilson after/with Jefferies would save us 8.9 million bring us down to 18.2 million.

3. Buyout Curry: Trading this guy is looking like mission impossible and if he is not traded by draft night next year we just buy him out the next day for 9.6 million. That would free up 1.5 million for us

so lets look at the numbers

Jefferies traded for expiring deal = 6.8

Trading Wilson= 2.1

Curry Buyout= 1.5

That would give us 10.4 million with a 17 million dollars on the books. Now the cap at the absolute worst comes in at 50 million then we now have 33 million to spend.

Best case the cap comes in at 55 million with us making these moves and we have 38 million! That allows for us to retain Lee and Nate's bird rights plus get one Max FA and another All Star calliber player
    This has to be one of your coolest posts yet.

Right now I do not like the idea of trading Gallo, even if it means getting rid of Curry.

As much it is important to get rid of our crap contracts, we need to retain those players that can be a star.

Most of us agree Gallo has that potential.

I am not saying he will be Kobe, Lebron, Wade, etc... but you will notice most of those teams are good because they drafted a young star and kept him.

I could see Wilson and Jared going

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

With the salary cap going down for the first time in I don't know how long, it is very, very unlikely that Walsh will be able to trade Jeffries or Curry without taking on salary. At least not until both contracts are in their final year. But even then, we'd most likely have to take on salary in order to make the trade.

Someone said something about future talent. Where is it? Chandler and Gallo are role players that think they can score. D'Antoni keeps talking Gallo up as if he's the next Larry Bird which is bull****. The kid should be forced to rebound and block a few shots and play some defense. So should Chandler.

For this year Harrington, Hughes and Robinson should be the focal points of our offense.

Or they could pay a g a y limo driver to give him some co k and hopefully hell catch something and have to retire///thats how you get rid of curry chicke.