FORGET 2010: Knicks miss out on the biggest free agent this summer

metrocard

Legend
F*CK MY LIFE!!!!!!!

Miami Heat sign free agent guard Carlos Arroyo

The Miami Heat didn't have to search far to address its critical lack of depth at the point guard position.

The Heat signed former FIU standout and Pinecrest resident Carlos Arroyo to a non-guaranteed, one-year deal that would be worth the veteran's minimum of about $1.1 million if he is still with the team in January.

Arroyo participated in Monday's practice and will travel with the team for this week's two-game trip to play Oklahoma City on Wednesday in Tulsa and New Orleans on Friday in Kansas City. Arroyo worked out with the Heat's second-team unit.

The team had been searching for help at the position since backup Chris Quinn sprained his right foot in Friday's practice. Quinn missed Sunday's home loss to San Antonio and is likely to be out at least a week.

Only starter Mario Chalmers and training camp long shot John Lucas were available at point guard the past few days in practice. Arroyo, a seven-year NBA veteran, spent last season playing in Israel and was looking for a chance to return to the league. He last played in the NBA for the Orlando two years ago.

Arroyo has had interest in playing for the Heat for several years, but the interest and wasn't always mutual. Timing was also a factor for Miami.

That changed when agent Leon Rose called Arroyo on Sunday night to inform him that Miami had a spot.

``The opportunity kind of came in quick,'' Arroyo said. ``I'm excited to be here. I've been waiting for the opportunity and it presented itself. I know a couple of guys have been out. But I'm here to do whatever I can to help this team. If that is to run the show, then that's what it'll be. This is a great opportunity for me to come in here and to play at home.''

Arroyo, a native of Puerto Rico, has appeared in 433 regular season games and has averaged 7.0 points, 3.3 assists and 1.7 rebounds. He has spent time with Toronto, Denver, Utah and Detroit before he played parts of three seasons in Orlando.

Arroyo finished his FIU career as the school's all-time leader in assists and steals. He also ranked second at the school in three-pointers made.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said Arroyo was signed with the intent of being Chalmers' backup at the point. But this is the first time in Chalmers' two seasons with Miami he has had an experienced NBA veteran to contend with in practice and for his role.

Spoelstra and team president Pat Riley met for at least two days to consider outside options, with veterans available such as Jamaal Tinsley, Brevin Knight, Bobby Jackson and Stephon Marbury. Apparently, none were as convenient or as willing to come for non-guaranteed money as Arroyo.

Already operating at nearly $3 million above the league's punitive luxury tax on payrolls in excess of $69.9 million, the Heat has been reluctant to add significant salary.

``We've been evaluating several names for awhile,'' Spoelstra said. ``He was available. He was here. We're very familiar with his game. It was the right move for right now.''

Arroyo could be in the lineup on Wednesday as the Heat (0-3) looks for its first preseason victory and, more importantly, to establish some consistency at the position. Guard Dwyane Wade said he welcomed the move to sign Arroyo and to give Chalmers some help -- and a competitive push -- in the backcourt.

Chalmers was 2 of 10 from the field with five turnovers and three assists in his first two preseason games. But he played better against the Spurs on Sunday, when he had 17 points, four rebounds and three assists.

``He's a playmaker, first and foremost,'' Wade said of Arroyo. `
`He's going to help Mario as well. It'll be good for [Chalmers]. Carlos has been around in the NBA on some good teams. His experience is going to help a lot of guys.''

Carlos Alberto Arroyo Berm?dez

DOB: 7/30/1979
Birthplace: Fajardo, Puerto Rico
H: 6' 2"
W: 200 lbs
Euroleague stats per game:
Min: 33
Assist: 4
Steals: 1.3

Arroyo began his career in the National Superior Basketball League of Puerto Rico, where he debuted with the Fajardo Cariduros and subsequently played for the Santurce Crabbers, where he was a teammate of then starting center of the Puerto Rico National Basketball Team, Jos? Ortiz. During his participation with the team the Crabbers won four consecutive national titles in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2003, winning five league championships in six years.

Arroyo also studied in Florida International University from 1998 to 2001, where he played for the campus' team, the Golden Panthers. He was a four-year letterman in the university having completed his baccalaureate and played with the team four years, establishing several records in the team's history. Among this records is the all-time lead in assists scored, having made 459 successful passes.Arroyo is also the only player in Florida International University to have scored more than six hundred points in a single season.He is in the second global position in lifetime scoring, having scored 1,600 points throughout his university career, with an average of 16.0 points per game and 4.6 assists per game over his 100 games.Arroyo was also selected as a member of the Sun Belt Conference's All-Star team on two separate occasions. On January 5, 2007, Florida International University presented a ceremony where Arroyo's university number (30) was symbolically retired to recognize his performance with the institution's team.

After graduating from college, Arroyo was signed by the National Basketball Association's Toronto Raptors for the 2001?02 NBA season, but was released in January 2002. He then played briefly in the Spanish ACB League with TAU Cer?mica before being signed by the Denver Nuggets in March of the same year. He saw limited action with those two teams, playing seventeen games with the Raptors and twenty with the Nuggets before his initial NBA season was over. He only played an average of 9.7 minutes per game during those thirty-seven games in which he saw action.

Arroyo was given the starting job after Stockton retired and Jackson joined the Houston Rockets before the start of the 2003-04 NBA season. He surprised many Jazz fans, and by November 2003 he was ranked 11th in the league in assists per game. On November 14, he broke the record for most points scored by a Puerto Rican in an NBA game, scoring 30 points against the Minnesota Timberwolves. He finished the season with a career-high average of 12.6 points per game.

International career

While Arroyo has only seen moderate success in the NBA, he has become one of the best international point guards. During the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Arroyo was the flag-bearer of the delegation and also led the Puerto Rican National Basketball Team throughout the Basketball at the 2004 Summer Olympics competition with 18 points per game overall, and led them to a 92-73 victory over the United States with 25 points, 7 assists, and 4 steals. Arroyo was selected with All-Olympic Team honors.

During the 2006 FIBA World Championship, Arroyo averaged 21.2 PPG, 4.6 RPG and 5.2 APG in five games for the Puerto Rican team. Arroyo finished tied for fourth in PPG during the 2006 FIBA World Championship with fellow Puerto Rican teammate Larry Ayuso. Arroyo played at the 2008 Olympic Qualifying Tournament, but wasn't able to compete in the semifinals and finals due to a leg injury.

metrocard

Legend
Imagine the sponsorships, commercials, advertising and attraction this man would of brought to NYC.

Malta and McDonalds man....Malta and f*cking McDonalds

tiger0330

Legend
Nice post but why waste your time with all the videos, it's done the Heat have him. BTW, why did he sign with the Heat for the min when he had that contract with that Israeli team? The food didn't agree with him?

KBlack25

Starter
Imagine the sponsorships, commercials, advertising and attraction this man would of brought to NYC.

Malta and McDonalds man....Malta and f*cking McDonalds

Right because the biggest city in the United States doesn't have advertising, commercials or McDonalds or attraction...Because a guy who would be one of four PGs on the Knicks would make sure everyone on the planet would turn their attention to NY, all for a guy who had to sign a minimum contract.

NY, in their awfulness, STILL has the attention of the media...its New York ****ing City. Carlos Arroyo would not have made NYC relevant, NYC is relevant on its own.

That's not what Arroyo would have brought, he would've been a play maker, but don't go overboard.

JayJ44

Starter
I don't know why Walsh/D'antoni havn't pursued Arroyo, seems like a low-risk, high reward move. Best case scenario: he plays well and we have a quality starting PG. Worst case scenario: he doesn't and rides the bench. It's a no-brainer to me.

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
Unofortunately my team the KNICKS :( will never star winning until donnie Walsh either dies or is no longer the owner...:boohoo:.. Coaching and about 90% of the team have to go...(curry taking up about 85%)

Ewing

Benchwarmer
LMAO!
If an NBA team is done for the season by "losing" an average player like Arroyo something is wrong...

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Lmao on kblack's response to the newbie.

Metro is just obsessed with arroyo that's all. Y'all *****z shouldn't take it to heart.

KBlack25

Starter
I know hes not the owner , but he still has to go because he influences alot of the major decisions..

Well, duh, he's the President of Basketball Operations, of course he has influence.

Other facts besides knowing Donnie Walsh "influences" decisions:

The sky is blue, 1 + 1 = 2 and the Knicks wear blue and orange.

The fact is, how can you say the Knicks will "never" be good so long as Donnie is running things? He's gotten us out of salary cap hell, he's had 2 off seasons crippled y the mistakes Isiah made, and for the most part has done at least an okay job. A little melodramatic to say so long as Donnie, who has done about as good a job as he could have with the team and disaster he inherited, don't you think?

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
:teeth: donnie a good job???? GTFO!!!!..I'm sure he had noithing to do with isiah comin over right??? lol, he didn't just inherit all that mess, he still had influence.. To stick to the thread arroyo can take his game back over seas for all i care..

TunerAddict

Starter
:teeth: donnie a good job???? GTFO!!!!..I'm sure he had noithing to do with isiah comin over right??? lol, he didn't just inherit all that mess, he still had influence.. To stick to the thread arroyo can take his game back over seas for all i care..

Donnie Walsh was after Isiah...

You just trollin though, ain't ya?

KBlack25

Starter

You serious?

From Wikipedia

On April 2, 2008, the New York Knicks announced that Walsh had agreed to become president of basketball operations for the Knicks
This means Donnie came over on April 2, 2008...

On December 22, 2003, the New York Knicks hired Thomas as President of Basketball Operations.
This means Isiah came to NY on December 22, 2003, years before Donnie Walsh was in NY...

This on Donnie Walsh:

He later took a position as general manager with the Pacers, where in 1987 he made the then-controversial decision to select Reggie Miller in the NBA Draft over local hero Steve Alford of Indiana University. The decision later proved to be brilliant, as Miller had a magnificent NBA career whereas Alford was a bust in the pros. He was later promoted to the position of CEO and president and held that position until shortly before the end of the 2007–08 season.
This means, between 1987 and 2007, Donnie Walsh was affiliated with the Indiana Pacers...but according to your screwed up idiotic logic, Donnie Walsh brought Isiah to NY in 2003, while he was working as an executive for the Indiana Pacers...

You are wrong. Shut the **** up and, for your own safety:

128751405455522039.jpg

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
:teeth:lol you idiot...thanks for proving my point even more.. He was with the pacers right?? Like you pasted from wiki, so you already know he has the same ideaology as thomas because at one point they were loosing together .. I didn't need google to know these birds flock together.. My safety??? :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth: