Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Toney D: Draft Steal

  1. #31
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Douglas excels when it comes to playing defense and scoring. He's not much a pg right now because he suffers from poor court vision and a lack of good ball handling. I don't see him ever becoming a legitimate starting pg because his first instincts is to shoot and he's a subpar passer. Actually, that's fine if the system calls for a scoring pg but if not then he's a good bench player.

    I know he's still learning and I definitely root for him but this team is expected to load up this summer and seriously compete next season, so I don't see him being ready to run the team. Sergio is much closer to that IMO.

  2. #32
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Douglas excels when it comes to playing defense and scoring. He's not much a pg right now because he suffers from poor court vision and a lack of good ball handling. I don't see him ever becoming a legitimate starting pg because his first instincts is to shoot and he's a subpar passer. Actually, that's fine if the system calls for a scoring pg but if not then he's a good bench player.

    I know he's still learning and I definitely root for him but this team is expected to load up this summer and seriously compete next season, so I don't see him being ready to run the team. Sergio is much closer to that IMO.
    Toney Douglas would rack up assists if guys were not missing wide open shots...sub par passer? Of course he is not Steve Nash/Rubio...what do you expect?

    He never turns the ball over and racks up a decent amount of assists for someone who never played this year and was benched.

    His defense is very good for a rookie and will only improve.

    Your under rating Douglas.

  3. #33
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Toney Douglas would rack up assists if guys were not missing wide open shots...sub par passer? Of course he is not Steve Nash/Rubio...what do you expect?

    He never turns the ball over and racks up a decent amount of assists for someone who never played this year and was benched.

    His defense is very good for a rookie and will only improve.

    Your under rating Douglas.
    That could be said for the majority of PGs in the league. If you watch him play, he can only make the simplest of passes. Most of the time he gives the ball up as soon as he crosses half court. Last night I watched on several occassions where he made a pass to a guy that was in no position to make a move. Yes he'll get assists simply because he's out there and getting minutes but it doesn't mean that he usually makes good decisions.

    His defense (which I've never criticized) has nothing to do with basic PG skills.

    He never turns the ball over?? Where did you get that from?? He had 3 TOs in each of the last 2 games. Not saying that's horrible, just stating the facts to disprove your comment.

    Listen, I hope i'm wrong about him but he just doesn't seem like a guy that will ever transform into a legitimate starting PG. As of right now, i think he's on a road to becoming a Mo Williams type player.
    Last edited by nyk_nyk; Mar 18, 2010 at 09:59.

  4. #34
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    That could be said for the majority of PGs in the league. If you watch him play, he can only make the simplest of passes. Most of the time he gives the ball up as soon as he crosses half court. Last night I watched on several occassions where he made a pass to a guy that was in no position to make a move. Yes he'll get assists simply because he's out there and getting minutes but it doesn't mean that he usually makes good decisions.

    His defense (which I've never criticized) has nothing to do with basic PG skills.

    He never turns the ball over?? Where did you get that from?? He had 3 TOs in each of the last 2 games. Not saying that's horrible, just stating the facts to disprove your comment.

    Listen, I hope i'm wrong about him but he just doesn't seem like a guy that will ever transform into a legitimate starting PG. As of right now, i think he's on a road to becoming a Mo Williams type player.
    Toney's game against Dallas he had 0 turnovers with 20 points and 7 assists... the only game I can say where the turnovers were bad enough to remember were last game in Boston...but everyone had turnovers and Douglas was the only player really hustling and getting steals...Rondo just shut him down.

    Your also judging a player that has barely payed this season and is clearly better than Duhon, Nate, Sergio and Eddie House so Douglas SHOULD have gotten a high amount of minutes in the start of the year.

    I do agree that Toney gives up the ball too early but that's the way Mike D runs his offense, with D Lee as the point forward always getting passes at the the three point line to create a pick and roll.

    Toney does have to take control more and drive to the basket because he is one of the fastest players in the NBA

  5. #35
    Quiet Storm New New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,431
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    He's backup Material!


    Look we are all desperate for an All Star calliber player to the point where if a young player runs off a string of nice games he is "the future of the team" (see Bill Walker for a current example, the before mentioned Mardy Collins and Balkman for past examples)

    LJ stated Mardy Collins 2.0, I think more appropiately we could tag him Frank Williams 2.0!

    I think if we put a good enough team on the floor Douglas is good enough to run the point, but as much as we all want it to happen, he is not going to be a game breaker!

    Just like Danillo, when teams start focusing in on him defensively then we'll see what he is made of.


    I like Toney though, so this isnt a hate reply....but it is a realistic one!

  6. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Yeah, he may very well be backup material. But?

    1. He's still better than Duhon.
    2. At this point, he's still better than Sergio Rodriguez.
    3. He's the best point guard we've got right now
    4. Even if he's not our future starting point guard, he's still a high-energy player who's also a good defender, so he'd be a valuable bench player. Goodness we haven't had a good defender in our backcourt in ages.

  7. #37
    Member NYKnuniversity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Boston,MA
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Yeah, he may very well be backup material. But?

    1. He's still better than Duhon.
    2. At this point, he's still better than Sergio Rodriguez.
    3. He's the best point guard we've got right now
    4. Even if he's not our future starting point guard, he's still a high-energy player who's also a good defender, so he'd be a valuable bench player. Goodness we haven't had a good defender in our backcourt in ages.
    I miss Chris Childs and Charlie Ward so much. So mediocre, but so sick to watch at the same time.

  8. #38
    Veteran p0nder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I'm glad to see Tony D getting minutes. He's earned them with patience and hard work. He is a persistent defender and brings a great shot to the floor.

    If he can learn to get his teammates to spread the floor more then he will have more opportunities to drive the lane. He is very quick and has a great first step.


    His ball handling and passing skills need attention, and that is not a great way to start out as a PG in the NBA. We'll watch him make rookie mistakes this season. And, unless he develops tremendously over the offseason, we'll see him make some next season as well.

    But he is developing and learning and appears to have an understanding and fundamental knowledge of the game. In this day and age of the And1 tour and street ball moves and flash with no substance, Tony D brings a real classic skill set to the table. I am looking forward to seeing more of what he can do and how his game develops with these minutes. I think by seasons end we'll have a good sample of Tony's game to make our call.

  9. #39
    Veteran p0nder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    and my apologies to Toney, I keep spelling his name wrong.

  10. #40
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by New New York
    He's backup Material!


    Look we are all desperate for an All Star calliber player to the point where if a young player runs off a string of nice games he is "the future of the team" (see Bill Walker for a current example, the before mentioned Mardy Collins and Balkman for past examples)

    LJ stated Mardy Collins 2.0, I think more appropiately we could tag him Frank Williams 2.0!

    I think if we put a good enough team on the floor Douglas is good enough to run the point, but as much as we all want it to happen, he is not going to be a game breaker!

    Just like Danillo, when teams start focusing in on him defensively then we'll see what he is made of.


    I like Toney though, so this isnt a hate reply....but it is a realistic one!
    Did you watch the game last night??....was Toney Douglas not the game breaker scoring 14 4th quarter points??....he has taken over at least 3 games in the past month in the 4th quarter....and he has barely played this year....this post is a fail because you are judging someone and ignoring what actually happens in the games...

    Toney has ice in his veins and is the most aggressive player on this team on both offense and defense.

    With Gallo, he did suffer because teams started playing him up close. But Gallo suffered because he didn't realize until now that he has to play aggressive and drive towards the hoop in order to be effective. Last game Gallo realized this and kept drawing fouls because defensemen are trying to play him so close that Gallo can easily flop or draw a foul....if he plays like he did against Philly then teams are going to have a problem against him.

  11. #41
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,015
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Why can't anyone want him to turn into our future starting SG?We need a point guard, but let's not try to make out what players SHOULD be.Let him be him.I want him to develop his passing and decision making for his teammates, but that doesn't mean he has to be a PG.

  12. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Toney Douglas fits in as more of a combo guard than as a point guard. He's somewhat short to be a shooting guard, and his passing/court vision isn't that great for a point guard. But anything's better than Chris Duhon.

    And Toney Douglas might just end up surprising us. If he ends up legitimate scoring threat as a point guard, we could have a pretty good pick on our hands considering he was pretty much a 2nd round pick

  13. #43
    Moderator
    CoolClyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    2,492
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by New New York
    He's backup Material!


    Look we are all desperate for an All Star calliber player to the point where if a young player runs off a string of nice games he is "the future of the team" (see Bill Walker for a current example, the before mentioned Mardy Collins and Balkman for past examples)

    LJ stated Mardy Collins 2.0, I think more appropiately we could tag him Frank Williams 2.0!

    I think if we put a good enough team on the floor Douglas is good enough to run the point, but as much as we all want it to happen, he is not going to be a game breaker!

    Just like Danillo, when teams start focusing in on him defensively then we'll see what he is made of.

    I like Toney though, so this isnt a hate reply....but it is a realistic one!

    I have to disagree with you, with the amount of minutes TD received this year, to what he's accomplished these last 3 games as a starter, he's achieved far more than Frank Williams or Mardy Collins had in their entire Knick careers. With his defensive prowess, major hustle, and knack for hitting clutch 3-pointers, TD reminds me more of a return to the Charlie Ward/Chris Childs style of play. I like him a lot, besides, he's SO MUCH BETTER than DuNone or Power Serge, he deserves starting PG position, whether he's pure PG material or not. I agree, he's more combo material and could fit in well with another PG/SG, but for now, give the man his props where they're due. No one knows what the future holds til July, let's let Toney Dee ride this one out as our starter.

  14. #44
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I wonder if he would work for PG next season with Sergio Rodriguez?

    For example:
    Douglas
    McGrady
    James
    Gallinari
    Bosh?

  15. #45
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    ^

    Come on JPZ... Are you still clinging to The King? He's not coming...He'll consider it for way too long and keep us hanging and then burn us...

Similar Threads

  1. Hollinger's Draft Rater
    By JayJ44 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jun 27, 2009, 10:58
  2. Walsh Transcript
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 23, 2009, 14:20
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 27, 2008, 18:29
  4. Knicks Draft: Media Feedback
    By Die Dolan Die in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 01, 2006, 05:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •