Let's Shock the World!!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Lets shock the world and put the haters to rest. I say we get the 7th or 8th seed IF Gallo stays healthy and we get on an early role. We need to be in the playoff hunt so that our players give it there all. Look for better D and and big numbers from Harrington and Chandler.

<table><thead><tr><th width="15%">ANALYST</th> <th width="67%">COMMENT</th> <th width="18%">PREDICTIONS</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="last"> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">
adande_j.a._m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">J.A. Adande, ESPN.com | Adande's picks

Sure, the fans and front office are excited about the upcoming cap space, but what's in it for the seven players on expiring contracts? Not the makings of a unified team. </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

East: 12

</center></td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">
barry_jon_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">Jon Barry, ESPN | Barry's picks

They are going to score points, but they need to improve on defense. Their hopes clearly ride on next summer. </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

East: 11

broussard_chris_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">Chris Broussard, ESPN The Mag | Broussard's picks

Nearly half the team is playing for a contract and once the losses start mounting, it'll be "get mine'' time, especially since this season is being sacrificed like a fattened calf for the summer of 2010. "LeBron or Bust'' is a great motto for your fan base, but not for your undermanned squad.</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

ford_chad_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">Chad Ford, ESPN.com | Ford's picks

Does anyone in NY even care about this season? Mike D'Antoni will do his best to field an entertaining team, and we'll be watching the development of Danilo Gallinari closely, but the truth is everyone really only has one question -- will LeBron be wearing a Knicks jersey next season? </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

hill_jemele_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">Jemele Hill, ESPN.com Page 2 | Hill's picks

Can we just fast-forward to the summer of 2010, when the Knicks' real season begins? With seven players in the last year of their contract, a ninth consecutive losing season is a foregone conclusion. The Knicks need to get something out of Gallinari and Eddy Curry -- that's how ugly things could get. </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

East: 14

hollinger_john_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">John Hollinger, ESPN.com | Hollinger's picks

Good news: Knicks have gobs of cap room in 2010. Bad news: It's still 2009. Added size in Darko Milicic and Jordan Hill should help the D, but paucity of decent wings makes it tough to play Mike D'Antoni's preferred style successfully. </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

East: 13

rose_jalen_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">Jalen Rose, ESPN | Rose's picks

The majority of the players are on one-year contracts. Fun-and-gun will be on display. Lee will be among the league leaders in double-doubles. Harrington will be the team leader in scoring, while Chandler continues to really impress. Robinson is a sixth man of the year candidate. </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

sheridan_chris_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com | Sheridan's picks

Oh, what a delight it'll be over the first three months of the season to watch the many ways they try to showcase Jared Jeffries. ("Look, he guards centers and PGs, and he's making his 3s and finishing his drives with dunks. Want him?") </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

stein_marc_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">Marc Stein, ESPN.com | Stein's picks

What would qualify as a successful season for the Knicks? Al Harrington would obviously say playoff berth. Team prez Donnie Walsh would undoubtedly settle for trading Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries before July 1. </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 4

</center></td> </tr><tr class="last"> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">
thorpe_david_m.jpg
</td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;">David Thorpe, ESPN.com | Thorpe's picks

This is "wait until next year" for the Knicks, but some of their pieces have a lot to prove if they hope to stick around. And D'Antoni's style is even more fun to play when constantly an underdog with something to prove. Gallinari might shock the league a bit this season. </td> <td style="vertical-align: middle;"><center>Atlantic: 5

</center></td> </tr> <tr class="last"> <td colspan="3">
AVERAGE RANKING Atlantic: 4.1 | Standings East: 12.6 | Standings

</td></tr></tbody></table>

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
They're pretty much on point. They're all looking at it unbiasedly. It would be great if we do prove them wrong, but its going to take a great effort from everyone.

JayJ44

Starter
They're just regurgitating the same crap they always say when they talk about the Knicks. I firmly believe none of them know anything about the Knicks. When asked they just go: "duhh 2010...duhh lebron."

LJ4ptplay

Starter
They're just regurgitating the same crap they always say when they talk about the Knicks. I firmly believe none of them know anything about the Knicks. When asked they just go: "duhh 2010...duhh lebron."

But they're right.

We're not shocking anybody this year. 2nd or 3rd worst team in the east.

And yes, it is all about 2010 and getting a max player.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
But they're right.

I disagree...we have a top 3 coach and a deep ass team with a bunch of talented players. The only thing we are missing is a superstar who we can ride every game. This team should be able to crack the playoffs if they compete all season. The key is getting off to a good start so our players stay motivated. Lets not forget we have many players who are going to want a contract next year and will bust their asses to earn every penny.

I predict the 7th seed!

nyk_nyk

All Star
I agree that guys will definitely play harder since its their contract year but will they be able to do it while making the team better? IF guys are just showcasing themselves then that won't lead to a successful season for the team. I agree with the analysts.

They are also taking into consideration all the teams that have improved since last season and impact players that are finally healthy. As much as we want the Knicks to succeed, they will really have to overachieve to make the playoffs.

Its all about short term goals right now. The first one is to continue showcasing JJ and hope we can trade him for expirings. Maybe we worry about Curry when he finally gets on the court and then assess the remaining players to decide who to involve in a trade scenerio.

iSaYughh

Starter
Knicks be fun, so it makes a lot of us -- me, too -- to be a bit optomistic.

I'm concerned that our contract players will come to bite us. They want to be dealing for the new deals, but if we aren't in the hunt they will want to pad individual stats, abandon D, etc. Traits that already vex our team.

If Gallo becomes the stud he *needs* to be and he does it this year....N8, Lee, Chandler, Harrington stay healthy....and Darko gives us some legit prescence in the inside =

Playoffsssssss..and we evade the final inch of Isiah's rape with our "lotto" pick.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
But they're right.

Bumped to show the ridiculous expectations of some fans.

*Favorites all of the "Fire D'Antoni" threads for next year*

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Bumped to show the ridiculous expectations of some fans.

*Favorites all of the "Fire D'Antoni" threads for next year*

It's easy to be pessimistic...

Further my OP clearly says "if we get on an early role". We went 1-9 so that did not happen. BTW, why are you going back and bumping old threads just to gloat that the Knicks suck? Does it feel good to scream "I told you so"? :boohoo:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The only thing we are missing is a superstar who we can ride every game. This team should be able to crack the playoffs if they compete all season. The key is getting off to a good start so our players stay motivated.
They didn't get off to a good start, they did not stay motivated and they have not competed the whole season.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
It's easy to be pessimistic...

Further my OP clearly says "if we get on an early role". We went 1-9 so that did not happen. BTW, why are you going back and bumping old threads just to gloat that the Knicks suck? Does it feel good to scream "I told you so"? :boohoo:

No. Just showing how ridiculous some of the expectations were considering the talent. There can be a fine line between pessimistic and realistic.

Also, all of the Gallo haters and D'Antoni haters (which are the same people) are making threads every day and saying "I told you so". None of them were saying anything during the month of December. Not a peep. Now that we're losing again, suddenly, it's "I told you so"...again. It's getting tiresome and I thought I would remind everyone that this team was really, really bad from the beginning.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
No. Just showing how ridiculous some of the expectations were considering the talent. There can be a fine line between pessimistic and realistic.

Also, all of the Gallo haters and D'Antoni haters (which are the same people) are making threads every day and saying "I told you so". None of them were saying anything during the month of December. Not a peep. Now that we're losing again, suddenly, it's "I told you so"...again. It's getting tiresome and I thought I would remind everyone that this team was really, really bad from the beginning.

If we did not get off to a 1-9 start we would have been in the playoff hunt. All these recent losses are because the team is not motivated and gave up because we are out of the playoffs. Late November through mid-January was a long stretch of playoff quality ball. We were a game or so out of the 8th even with the poor start. Then Duhon disappeared and shot at -500000% leaving us without a floor general to run the offense. If Srod was our PG from the beginning we may have been competing right now. (impossible to know)

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If we did not get off to a 1-9 start we would have been in the playoff hunt. All these recent losses are because the team is not motivated and gave up because we are out of the playoffs. Late November through mid-January was a long stretch of playoff quality ball. We were a game or so out of the 8th even with the poor start. Then Duhon disappeared and shot at -500000% leaving us without a floor general to run the offense. If Srod was our PG from the beginning we may have been competing right now. (impossible to know)

There are a lot of "ifs" in that post. Those things didn't happen because we have a crappy team. One of the worst rosters in the NBA.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
There are a lot of "ifs" in that post. Those things didn't happen because we have a crappy team. One of the worst rosters in the NBA.

Correct there were a lot of if's in my OP hence bringing it up as an "I told you so" moment is not necessary. Even the title says it all...Lets SHOCK the world. I was fully aware of the situation but thought we were better than the professional haters wrote.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Correct there were a lot of if's in my OP hence bringing it up as an "I told you so" moment is not necessary. Even the title says it all...Lets SHOCK the world. I was fully aware of the situation but thought we were better than the professional haters wrote.

Don't take it so personal. You are clearly not one of the over-expecting, over-reacting fans I was referring to. If you noticed, I bumped all of the ridiculous expectation threads.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Don't take it so personal. You are clearly not one of the over-expecting, over-reacting fans I was referring to. If you noticed, I bumped all of the ridiculous expectation threads.

We are Knicks fans and will always look at our team through rose colored glasses. Was it crazy to think the Knicks would get the 7th or 8th seed prior to the season starting? I don't think so...45-37 is a bit crazy though...lol.

jimkcchief88

All Star
For me the "I told u so's" would be more for Gallo than the Knicks in general. Not many expectations heading into this year. The team played the one good month(dec) that D'antoni seems to get out of his Knicks teams and that's about it. My KC CHIEFS are in the exact same spot: new coaches and plenty of cap space coming up and we have 3 draft picks in the first two rounds. Still doesn't make suffering through the season any easier though. I was pissed most Sundays last football season. I depend on you guys to keep me up on the Knicks while we are too crappy to show up on national tv. Nothing wrong with being optimistic about your squad, but realistically this is a very bad team. Too many mistakes in the last couple of years to make up for in one year.