Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire D'Antoni!

Originally Posted by Red
    Imma put it out there

Previously I said I would wait til' tip off 2010 but I'm convinced we can't win with this type of coach. Not to blame current state or even last years failure(s) on "No D'Antoni" aka "Mr. Pringle" just forward thinking...

Top Defensive teams compete, no matter who we get next season, no D = a waste

If D'Antoni NEEDS certain players to execute his "Seven Seconds Or Less" to it's max to compete, he wont get them. No Nash, Amare isn't coming so...

Gallo is the closest thing he has and picking such a one dimensional player actually sets a franchise back if you cant afford it; see Jordan Hill and Knicks going for EIGHT straight losing seasons

SSOL (originally i had a lot written here but lets sum it up by saying...) it's garbage!!!!

You cant out-shoot a team by attempting LOW PERCENTAGE shots at record pace, no matter if you had 5 Reggie Millers!

Motion and swinging the ball is good. But... stagnation, non-disciplined and no plan to score in the post, or out of time outs effectively isn't.

Not being able to recognize what little you have and what is needed as illustrated by D'Antoni's poor rotations is alarming. I can only imagine what the rotation will be with a superstar-

But hey D'Antoni did well in PHX and he can always say he cant win with this group so...

We were one of the lowest defensive teams in terms of points allowed and fg% allowed!

We were one of the worst teams in fg% offensively!

We don't have a #1 draft pick next year- so getting (although a waste) another player to try and fill these holes is not likely- maybe Walsh can pull something off.

Basically we need to use D'Antoni to inflate individual stats then cut the cord with D'Antoni when its time to really compete...

I don't like this dudes constant double talk. He makes no sense during interviews.

Maybe Gallo will explode and carry us to the playoffs but whatever, I've seen D'Antoni's skill up close and personal and I'm not convinced.

I know we'll have some ups and downs this season that will make a difference in how D'Antoni is viewed but with this type of ball I don't see how anyone could sustain pace through a championship.

just puttin' it out there

I can't wait to see this dude gone.

Give me one coach that would make this group of players play better than what they have shown?

As good as our team is now is about as good as it gets!

What people do not realize is that bringing a new coach in is starting all over from scratch essentially!

When a new coach comes in and has instant success with a squad it is usually with a team that already has a good core of players, a luxuary we do not have!

We are a 35 win team (at best) regardless of who is running the show!

LMAO at those who think Ewing is our coaching savior! Just ask the Lakers how well bringing in their greatest player as coach worked for them

Veteran

Smile FIRE celebrity coach Dantoni

All of u guys who are acting like u did not watch "celebrity coach Dantoni" 82 games last year with all the flaws in his coaching are still crediting Dantoni for "Shaun Matrix Marion" Phoenix Suns Team.

If celebrity coach Dantoni had just "half" of all the hype u guys gave him the man would still be coaching the Phoenix Suns.

How many Phoenix Sun Fans came to this Knick site or other Knick sites last year and this year saying how much they miss their coach Dantoni?
    The Suns won 46 games last season under two coaches and Amare only playing 51 games.

The same day the Phoenix Suns traded "Shaun Matrix Marion" the above average performance u seen out of the Phoenix Suns top tier players went down to average players when it came to winning the game in the 4th quarter. And it has not changed.

Dantoni's system LOL.....is a joke to all the fans who watched Jason Kidd & Matrix Marion turn up the volume on any given night to win vs the NBA top teams in the league.

Compare any of Dantoni's seasons with Denver or Phoenix, and none can "TOP" the new NBA coach Del Negro first season coaching in the NBA with coach Skiles lost group of young & veteran players on the Chicago Bulls roster. After one season of coaching the Bulls players have so much confidence within themself, teammates, and their headcoach that each of their "WINS" are built off of team-confidence...

Dantoni never should have been hired to be Fired....reason nex thread

Veteran

Smile FIRE celebrity coach Dantoni

All the Knicks had to do was get rid of Isiah Thomas favoriticism to pet-players and weak profile as manager and coach for 85% of the Knicks mess to disapear in the clear air.
    Foolish comments like "I am the best guard in the NBA" lead to the Knicks longest losing-streaks in the teams history.

Now we have a favoritism pet-player celebrity coach Mike Dantoni whom is clueless about defense and clueless about halfcourt offense, plus he is DNP our first round lottery draft pick, and saying public foolishness to the press about his pet-player "Galinari is the best shooter I ever seen", which lead to an 0-3 start this season b/c I dont see any other Knick players driving to the lane or putting any effort out to win Dantoni's first game of the 2009-10 season in (crunchtime) of two overtime games out of the 3 games they played.

The Knick players are giving the ball to Gallo in crunchtime to win the game for his coach (not theirs).
    That is what it looks like to my friends and I whom seen the players do this same act to coach Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas (23 win season)...

Seriously, D'Antoni didn't impress any of you last year with the new style of play? They seem determined and focused a lot of those games until they lost it.

People need to wake up and stop blaming Dantoni for having a ****ty team. Phil Jackson would not do any better with this squad! The fact is there is only so much a coach can do...I don't remember any coaching mistakes that lost a game...can you?

Truth be told, the Knicks are lacking a legit star who can carry the team night after night and can score or get a stop when needed.

A coach can take lemons and make lemonade but no matter how hard he tries he cant turn it into champagne!

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    saying public foolishness to the press about his pet-player "Galinari is the best shooter I ever seen", which lead to an 0-3 start this season]
    You're a joke. What you just said proved it.

I'm just going to put you on ignore because every post you ever put up just makes everyone who reads it dumber. You've contributed nothing at all here except for being negative and constantly criticizing anyone else who sees something differently.

You use the same old, tired rhetoric over and over again, while contradicting yourself again and again.

Seriously, this is like the Billy Madison part where he tries to relate the industrial revolution to the "little puppy who lost his way." It is just retarded.

Oh, and on Shawn Marion...How well has he done outside of Phoenix? Oh wait, he hasn't exactly done anything but fail to impress. Thats why he has been on 3 different teams in a year and a half.

Originally Posted by TunerAddict

I'm just going to put you on ignore because every post you ever put up just makes everyone who reads it dumber. You've contributed nothing at all here except for being negative and constantly criticizing anyone else who sees something differently.

You use the same old, tired rhetoric over and over again, while contradicting yourself again and again.

Seriously, this is like the Billy Madison part where he tries to relate the industrial revolution to the "little puppy who lost his way." It is just retarded.

Oh, and on Shawn Marion...How well has he done outside of Phoenix? Oh wait, he hasn't exactly done anything but fail to impress. Thats why he has been on 3 different teams in a year and a half.
    Lets also remember how extraordinarily ordinary Nash was before playing for Dantoni.

I've read everyones post regarding this topic and there are some good points but the reality is that this team doesn't have the personnel to thrive in a SSOL offense. The thing I don't like about Dantoni is that he fails to realize this and apparently cannot implement a different style of play to fit these players. The Knicks have plenty of versatile players that can be used in a many situations but for some reason their #1 go to play is the 3 pointer.

Also, in my opinion even if this team had the right type of players for the SSOL offense it wouldn't result in a championship because that style of play won't win it in the playoffs. The teams that survive in the end all have one thing in common... smart defensive players who contribute to crunch time defense.

Superstar

I disagree...Nash was good on Dallas. I agree with most posters tho Management Failed if anything not D'Antoni. D'Antoni is doing the same stuff he did Phoenix.

You hire a guy to run an uptempo offense and then you get rid of uptempo players or you didn't have uptempo players to begin with. Their plan was probably to give homeboy 5 years to turn it around, cuz it made more sense to hire a halfcourt coach at the time.

my bad clumsy for a repeat thread... [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]... I say "Fire D'Antoni" not b/c I feel he isn't a good coach but his style doesn't fit and won't fit. I don't think he should be let go beacuse he is to blame for our mess, I just feel he isn't what we need right now. Only from a marketing stand point he is successful, but for rebuilding, competing, learning, developing and achieving he is wrong. Don't fire him out of frustration but he isn't the right fit- 2nd rate players or not. I agree its more than coincidental the best coaches have the best players but... He Has To Be Let Go and replaced with someone who can do the above. He isn't a facilitator or developer he can't adjust or emphasize defense... that won't cut it PHX 50 plus wins or not!

Veteran

Originally Posted by TunerAddict

Turner.....u have to be one lost person looking to argue b/c u disagree with Kiya.
    I respect everyone opinion but I dont have to agree in my writing.
    Just like other members read my shuuut, and write their own opinion.
    Its call RESPECT!

Dantoni showed me nothing last season but shooting the 3-ball all 82 games, when certain players (Duhon, Nate, Chandler, Harrington, and Lee) had to ignored Dantoni's style and add their own creativeness which lead to "individual performance" just b/c these players wanted to make lastseason playoff.

And guys like u wrote Harrington dont pass, Chandler dont pass, Nate dont pass......maybe those players were tired of passing to a teammate to shoot the 3-ball.
    u are probably the only person that is not tired of this same-ole wide open offensive-set play every time on offense?

Duhon and Lee's "pick & role" was not in Dantoni's offensive playbook, that was something the two players worked on throughout the season.

Everything I wrote is true, especially Dantoni's comment on Gallo being the best shooter he ever seen. Every sports announcer is still shaking their head and looking at the ceiling when the topic come up about Dantoni's comment on Gallo.

Originally Posted by Torp
    I love the knicks no matter what. But literally, the following consists of Mike D's coaching on the floor:

"Lets go guys, cmon guys, here we go guys, LETS GO LETS GO LETS GO!"

WTF?

Coach D just lets everyone do whatever they want.

The extent of Coach D's play making ability is for Lee to set a pick n roll for Duhon, and if that fails, then it's literally playground ball where each player tries to go one on one, or chuck the ball from 3 land.

Especially in a situation where a team like the knicks have bad players, the coach must take direct control of the team and make them run plays because the knicks can't do it on their own. We have to use strategy to win, but we are consistently going one on one...
    If the knicks had all superstars on their team then Coach D's "do whatever" strategy might be more effective. But we don't.
    YEP!

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    People need to wake up and stop blaming Dantoni for having a ****ty team. Phil Jackson would not do any better with this squad! The fact is there is only so much a coach can do...I don't remember any coaching mistakes that lost a game...can you?

Truth be told, the Knicks are lacking a legit star who can carry the team night after night and can score or get a stop when needed.

A coach can take lemons and make lemonade but no matter how hard he tries he cant turn it into champagne!

1/2
    ru trying to say you can't polish a turd?
    this team is not THAT ****ty, Phil Jackson, or even Mark Jackson,
    would do better than Damntoni's 7 Seconds of Hell, no D.
    **** on you, man!

I'm kidding, that Metropoop is funny, but ewwww...ing.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Turner.....u have to be one lost person looking to argue b/c u disagree with Kiya.
    I respect everyone opinion but I dont have to agree in my writing.
    Just like other members read my shuuut, and write their own opinion.
    Its call RESPECT!
    Don't waste your time with him, he's just a child.

Default Because...

Needless to say the SSOL offensive strategy is flawed, fundamentally and otherwise. It's based on taking an inordinate amount of LOW percentage shots.

If we have the lead WHY WOULD I WANT TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF POSSESSIONS MY OPPONENT HAS BY HOISTING UP MORE SHOTS?

When behind shouldn't a team DRIVE the ball to try and draw fouls, get to the line and score without time taken off the clock?

SSOL IGNORES or at best makes little use of the clock strategically.

Isn't use of the clock fundamentally a strategy.

What coach preaches ignorance of the clock and is successful?

What coach preaches taking LOW % shots and is successful?

What coach doesn't emphasize Defense and is successful?

What coach needs 2 years to figure out who his best players are/were on a bum team?

WIDE OPEN OR NOT...

Mathematically speaking if Team A cannot score at the rate TEAM B is scoring given that Team A is shooting a lower fg% than Team B (say 36% vs 54%) team A can still SCORE the same amount of points as Team B by taking less time off the shot clock therefore increasing # of attempts, thus increasing scoring opportunities and using the three point shot to make for this deficiency.

BTW, when in-bounding and bringing the ball up court players are open all the time, should we just hoist up shots from beyond half court because we are open? I mean why not, at least we can be back on D!

BUT...

By doing so a certain player or tandem isn't always as clear as anyone can be left open or get hot. Normally this is ok but during times of need i.e. to stop/gain momentum or at the end of games there is no clear go to guy.

Since the pace is increased and the scoring differential is higher than normal, more hustle and energy expended is the result. Normally this is ok IF your players are better conditioned than the opponent, but over time most players including your own will subside to fatigue and therefor LOWER their already low fg% during crunch time.

The above is exacerbated by the use of a 9 man rotation- which leads to further fatigue and burn out.

Now mentioning Defense is as quick as saying... there is none. And when there is some, either finishing off the break is inconsistent or once again players are tired and too exhausted to sustain pace.

About the pick and roll, it's one of the oldest plays in BB, should we give Mike D credit for bringing it to NY?

Collectively the above leads to INCONSISTENCY. Some nights, the ones which all factors go right, wins will come, on most, mathematically speaking
    losses will mount.

Its only a matter of time. Mike D'Antoni's style while historically has produced playoff teams and all-stars lost in the end due to a myriad of factors. His teams lost, and him losing his job means he lost.

Now being in a different org. with different players it is not reasonable to expect such team to GIVE YOU EACH AND EVERY PLAYER YOU CLAIM YOU NEED TO SUCEED. You MAY be given player TYPES but certain players as an excuse cannot be used as YOU (D'Antoni) were fully aware of the players we had to offer and our cap situation.

All in all, like I said I cant blame Mike D for our ineptitude past or present but from what I see he isn't promoting a winning, formidable brand of basketball that I like.

So I can't wait til' they fire this dude! Not for anyone specific...