Stop the joking and win some ****ing games

portega1968

El Cacique
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2009/11/van-gundy-returns-to-garden-fo.html

Hate him or Love him... Isola is on target with this post I copied below!!!

If this team has the hunger and takes their shit seriously.... if after a loss they come back with the thirst for payback from any team that gets in their way.. they could beat the shit out of teams like Philly and Charlotte and compete for a playoff spot.

Nate needs to stop the shit and the more veteran guys need to set the tone.

VAN GUNDY RETURNS TO GARDEN...
By Frank Isola

This is the start of LeBron James Week in New York: the Cavs are in town for a nationally televised game on Friday.

In fact, former Knicks head coach Jeff Van Gundy and almost Knicks coach Mark Jackson will call the game on ESPN with MSG Knicks broadcaster Mike Breen. Yes, it's all very confusing. The telecast will mark the first time Van Gundy has been at the Garden in a non-coaching role in three years.

As coach of the Rockets, Van Gundy made a couple of memorable visits to Garden. In his first game back since resigning as Knicks coach, Van Gundy's debut was overshadowed by Stephon Marbury's home debut as a Knick. The Garden rocked that night but only until the Rockets outscored the Knicks something like 24-2 to start the game. We should have known at that moment that the Marbury era was doomed.

The following season, Van Gundy's club beat the Knicks on a last second shot. Garden Chairman James Dolan was so upset over the loss that he had Isiah Thomas fire Lenny Wilkens right on the spot. The Knicks claimed that Wilkens had resigned which everyone knew was nonsense. Well, almost everyone but that's another story.

Jackson was the leading the candidate to replace Isiah as coach until Mike D'Antoni had a falling out with Phoenix and suddenly was flirting with the Knicks. How close was Jackson to getting the job? He had already contacted Bernie Bickerstaff and Del Harris about joining his staff and had reached out to former Knicks trainer Mike Saunders about returning to his old job.

It could be old news by Friday, but I'm wondering if Van Gundy and Jackson will address the comments Chris Duhon made following Friday's overtime loss in Charlotte. Duhon accused his teammates of being unprofessional in their preparation, saying that players were joking around on the lay-up line.

D'Antoni said the next day that he doesn't believe it is a "widespread thing" but it is nonetheless alarming. The Knicks were coming off an embarrassing opening night loss to Miami and now minutes before game No. 2 players are goofing around?

I wrote a story last season about how D'Antoni gives his playing too much leeway. The Knicks are not mature enough and most of them haven't accomplished enough to be treated the way D'Antoni treated his players in Phoenix. D'Antoni had a true leader with the Suns in Steve Nash. All the players took their cue from the two-time MVP.

The Knicks are devoid of such a leader. And considering that seven of the players on the current roster have expiring contracts, the Knicks have a team of players with no emotional investment in the organization's future.

Donnie Walsh said he had "no problem" with what Duhon said. Good for him. And hooray for Duhon for caring enough to say something.

We all know that Nate Robinson is one of the culprits. Lil' Him was dancing and singing during warm-ups on Saturday. But Lil' Him isn't the only one and Robinson shouldn't take all of the blame.

The Knicks marketing department builds its entire campaign around Robinson, a sensational athlete who is immature and has never won anything other than two slam dunk contests.

Over the past two seasons, images of Robinson singing and dancing are always shown on the giant video scoreboard. In essence, he is being rewarded for goofing around. Unfortunately, no one takes him seriously and no one takes the Knicks seriously.

We all know that the Knicks have to sell tickets and that Robinson is one of their star attractions, for better or worse. But what are the Knicks trying to sell here, basketball or entertainment? I still say that having a winning team will attract fans. That's how the Knicks did it when Jackson was playing and Van Gundy was coach. Now that was entertaining.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I wonder who else was Duhon referring to being unprofessional in their preparation other than Nate. I'd guess Al Harrington because of his reaction. He said it wasn't an issue.

KBlack25

Starter
Nate has a ton of raw athletic talent, but in terms of being a leader, motivator, general type (what I want from a PG) I just don't think he fits.

Ultimately, despite his athleticism, I think this guy is a sideshow, a ticket seller, someone the average fan can get behind but ultimately doesn't have the long-term staying power, nor mental prowess, to be the type of PG that wins basketball games in big-time situations.

clumsy

Rotation player
i think this is a retarded article. The goofing around has nothing to do with the performance on the court. Everyone prepares themselves different. The performance has to do with the lack of talent 1st and foremost. Nate has always been exposed on D....Cuz he is Short. I don't care what anyone tells me about heart, he will always be a defensive liability.

Duhon might be serious...but it doens't change the fact that he sucks as a starting PG. He could be the most intense person on Earth....and it would still show that he is a mediocre at best NBA PG.

richtree

Rotation player
Yeah, but with Nate out (hurt) it was no co-incidence that our defense, ball movement, and flow all improved.

It just goes to show that Nate is not important to our team next season. The only reason why he is around is because he's cheap. He is an OK 4th guard because he gives energy.

Now we just need to get Harrington to play under control, with the same desire, we will be alot better.

Asimov

Benchwarmer
i think this is a retarded article. The goofing around has nothing to do with the performance on the court. Everyone prepares themselves different. The performance has to do with the lack of talent 1st and foremost. Nate has always been exposed on D....Cuz he is Short. I don't care what anyone tells me about heart, he will always be a defensive liability.

Duhon might be serious...but it doens't change the fact that he sucks as a starting PG. He could be the most intense person on Earth....and it would still show that he is a mediocre at best NBA PG.

Isola right on point here

Nate is a clown. He puts his hijinks before team play and defense. Last year it was Clyde who called out Nate for actin a fool with Will Ferrell.

Nate needs to go. Hopefully Walsh swaps his contract with another expiring

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Isola right on point here

Nate is a clown. He puts his hijinks before team play and defense. Last year it was Clyde who called out Nate for actin a fool with Will Ferrell.

Nate needs to go. Hopefully Walsh swaps his contract with another expiring
That game you're talking about is where Nate scored 41.

nyk_nyk

All Star
That game you're talking about is where Nate scored 41.
Great point.

I actually think being prepared mentally before a game helps you get out to a good start BUT it has no effect on the 2nd 3rd and 4th quarters. So many things change during the course of a game and I doubt any of these players can keep the same focus all game long.

If needed, it is the coaches duty to refocus the team during timeouts, between quarters and during half time. Sure, veteran teams don't need to be reminded to focus but we're not dealing with a veteran or good team here.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only

Good point on duhon. He sucks major balls :lol: