Yankees 2010 plans

Paul1355

All Star
I congratulate all the Yankee players for a wonderful season to bring home another championship but we do have problems that need to be addressed.
This thread is to inform Yankee fans of what HAS to be done in the off season to keep this Yankee team in the World Series.

Important Yankee "to-do" list:

1- Find out if Andy Pettite will start in 2010, if not then go for a top starting pitcher. We won this world series because of three great starting pitchers, not because of just AJ and CC. My choice...John Lackey.

2- Make Joba the permanent set up man and put Hughes as a starting pitcher to end the saga and Joba rules embarrassment. Joba has proven to be a dominate set up man and an average to sometimes bad starter. Hughes has choked in the bullpen in big games and might be better as a 5th or 4th arm in the rotation. Having Hughes to pitch the 7th inning is great but you are wasting a top pitcher when he can start, pitch more inings and be very good at it.

3- Do not resign Hideki Matsui and only sign Johnny Damon to be a DH for one year at a max contract of 8 million. Matsui was awesome in the WS but let's be honest, he is aging fast and he has bad knees and can't play the outfield anymore. We need to get young stars that can contribute overall and not just offensively. Damon can not play LF anymore. His girl arm has to stay swinging the bat and off the field. Too many times did teams run home on base hits in LF because Damon's arm is garbage. We need his bat and his speed but not his bad fielding or arm strength.

4- Get a LF who can contribute in all categories. The top candidates are Jason Bay and Carl Crawford. Bay brings power and clutch hitting to be a dominate 5th hitter behind A-Rod and can mix up the lineup being a right handed hitter instead of a fluster of lefties.
Crawford would be a great Yankee with his speed and contact and would be a dangerous player on the bases. Think about Crawford, Damon and Brett Gardner starting...that's alot of stolen bases and runs scored.

Anything else can be added. post any ideas here. Thank you and congrats to the yankees!

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Jeter
Damon
Tex
A-Rod
Bay
Posada
Cano
Swish
Cabrera

That's not bad at all, though I would love to keep Matsui. He dominated the 2nd half of the season when Damon fell off after the All Star game.

Gah, well we know Nady is gone.

Or I would just love to see Carl Crawford here, hes a free agent following next season.

th3realicon

Rotation player
Signing Damon to be a DH when Matsui is the far better hitter is just plain wrong. I would sign Johnny over Matsui, yes but only to have him play the outfield as well. The only reason i might be concerned in signing Matsui is the fact that he can't field anymore. His knees are a concern to say the least but the guy can plain hit.

Another fact i would consider is that johnny Damons' agent is that scumbag Scott Boras and he is already asking for a 4 year deal for him. Is this guy nuts? Damon is not worth for that long.

Lackey is a good option only if we buy low. I don't think we should give him a long term deal. His stuff doesn't amaze me. he is just an average stuff guy with a fight in him.

I like the idea Granderson + Jackson. We get a good CF that we lack at the moment and a decent young starting pitcher that has an amazing fastball. The only problem i see with that is that detroid will ask at least one between Joba and Hughes. At this point i'd sacrifice Joba just because his starter stuff has been average.

Paul1355

All Star
Signing Damon to be a DH when Matsui is the far better hitter is just plain wrong. I would sign Johnny over Matsui, yes but only to have him play the outfield as well. The only reason i might be concerned in signing Matsui is the fact that he can't field anymore. His knees are a concern to say the least but the guy can plain hit.

Another fact i would consider is that johnny Damons' agent is that scumbag Scott Boras and he is already asking for a 4 year deal for him. Is this guy nuts? Damon is not worth for that long.

Lackey is a good option only if we buy low. I don't think we should give him a long term deal. His stuff doesn't amaze me. he is just an average stuff guy with a fight in him.

I like the idea Granderson + Jackson. We get a good CF that we lack at the moment and a decent young starting pitcher that has an amazing fastball. The only problem i see with that is that detroid will ask at least one between Joba and Hughes. At this point i'd sacrifice Joba just because his starter stuff has been average.
Johnny is still a great bat but he throws like a girl. Matsui not playing the field hurts us more than you think. Having a clutch power hitting speedster as our DH is fine and having a LF who we can hopefully sign to contribute in the field and in the lineup would be even better than Matsui.

Damon once asked the yankees for 7 years and they gave him 4 so don't expect Damon to get 4 years. On the Yankee hot stove they said that Damon would get 2 years max on the yankees.
I could take him for two years as a DH.

He has been the Ace of the Angels for years and they have been in 1st place since 2004 if im not mistaken...he is extremely accurate and has a wicked curveball..his atittude would be perfect on the Yankees...but hey thats just my opinion.

Thats an idea for Granderson and Jackson....Granderson would hit 40 homeruns in Yankee stadium..only problem is his low batting average at .249 last year...this guy went from Jacoby Ellsbury to Ryan Howard in one year with his power. Jackson has upside..would be a good 5th starter.

Paul1355

All Star
Jeter
Damon
Tex
A-Rod
Bay
Posada
Cano
Swish
Cabrera

That's not bad at all, though I would love to keep Matsui. He dominated the 2nd half of the season when Damon fell off after the All Star game.

Gah, well we know Nady is gone.

Or I would just love to see Carl Crawford here, hes a free agent following next season.
Here's the alternate possible lineup
Jeter
Crawford
Tex
A-Rod
Damon
Posada
Cano
Swish
Gardner

Speed, speed, and more speed lol

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Get Cuba's Chapman as soon as possible. Bring up the catcher(what's his name?) from the minors. Also, trade for tampa's crawford. And we're set.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Crawford, Granderson, and Swisher would be a huge upgrade in the outfield defensively...

Granderson is arguably the best all around CF in the Al behind Josh Hamilton, Ichiro, and Torii Hunter.

Paul1355

All Star
Get Cuba's Chapman as soon as possible. Bring up the catcher(what's his name?) from the minors. Also, trade for tampa's crawford. And we're set.
the cathcer is Francisco Cervelli and i agree with all of your moves.

Chapman should come here because he is not eligible for the draft but can still be signed by a team...kind of like Jose Contreras coming to NY...let's hope Chapman can control his pitches soon enough and lets hope the Red Sox dont get this future cy young.

th3realicon

Rotation player
I think he was referring to Montero as the prospect catcher. That kid can hit like crazy. He is the new Posada.

Chapman is a risk. With the money he will be damanding i don't think is worth the gamble. I'd love the Yankees trade for Halladay and i would even sacrifice one between Joba and Phil. That would be just unfair to opposition though. Lets say Andy comes back and we trade Joba + prospects for The Doc and our pitching would be:

CC
Halladay
AJ
Pettite
Wang/Hughes/Insert any fifth starter

Thats insane. :D

Paul1355

All Star
I think he was referring to Montero as the prospect catcher. That kid can hit like crazy. He is the new Posada.

Chapman is a risk. With the money he will be damanding i don't think is worth the gamble. I'd love the Yankees trade for Halladay and i would even sacrifice one between Joba and Phil. That would be just unfair to opposition though. Lets say Andy comes back and we trade Joba + prospects for The Doc and our pitching would be:

CC
Halladay
AJ
Pettite
Wang/Hughes/Insert any fifth starter

Thats insane. :D
The only problem with the Doc Holloday trade is that the Blue jays would have to trade Vernon Wells in the deal. Even though I would like a good outfielder with a gun of an arm in Wells, his contract is RIDICULOUSly high and long, which means if Toronto asks for the Yanks to take that, no way this trade is going down.

We would be in better shape to just sign John Lackey than take a huge contract in Vernon Wells.

Vernon Wells has a 7 year 126 million dollar contract, that is 18 million per year. Plus Holloday's would be insane amount of money that we'd waste when there are other options.

If Wells is not included then I am all for this trade..

th3realicon

Rotation player
Wells has 4 more years left on that deal i think. He is just stuck in a bad team. I am almost sure he will be back at being one of the best CFs in the leagu if he pays in a team like the Yankees. Yes he is overpaid but he is an upgrade to all our outfielders. His defense is great. His hitting has shown can carry a team although last 2 years he has been an average hitter.

If that is what it will take to sign the doc i'd go for it and not sign Matsui AND Damon. Think about it:

RF: Swisher
CF: Wells
LF: Cabrera/Jackson

Although i kind off like the Granderson idea so we might pursue him as a center fielder instead and than sign Lackey :D

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
the cathcer is Francisco Cervelli and i agree with all of your moves.

Chapman should come here because he is not eligible for the draft but can still be signed by a team...kind of like Jose Contreras coming to NY...let's hope Chapman can control his pitches soon enough and lets hope the Red Sox dont get this future cy young.

He's right. It was montero.

I'm looking for chapman to come in as a 4th or 5th starter. He's in his early 20's (21 or 22??) and has various pitches that he can dominate with. That would also move joba into the bullpen as a set up guy (future closer???).

Paul1355

All Star
Wells has 4 more years left on that deal i think. He is just stuck in a bad team. I am almost sure he will be back at being one of the best CFs in the leagu if he pays in a team like the Yankees. Yes he is overpaid but he is an upgrade to all our outfielders. His defense is great. His hitting has shown can carry a team although last 2 years he has been an average hitter.

If that is what it will take to sign the doc i'd go for it and not sign Matsui AND Damon. Think about it:

RF: Swisher
CF: Wells
LF: Cabrera/Jackson

Although i kind off like the Granderson idea so we might pursue him as a center fielder instead and than sign Lackey :D
having faith that Wells turns out like Nick Swisher, being a surprise, would not be enough to sell Cashman, or any GM in that matter.

Wells is now the Zach Randolph of baseball. You have to think of what the Blue Jays are going to want in return.

Probabilities:

Yankees get: Halloday and Wells

Blue Jays get: Montero, Hughes/Joba, Austin Jackson, maybe David Robertson

We give up atleast Hughes, Joba, and/or Robertson who saved the season for us in many cases, and get so much money in return that if we are hit with injuries than we really can't make any big signings for years.

If Wells was his old self I would eat his contract, but he is not, the risk is too high when we could get a guy like Lackey and Matt Holloday/Jason Bay without giving up anybody.

AND! Jason Bay refused a 60 million dollar deal with the Redsox, if he is available we should take it.

But I see what your trying to say.

jpz17

Starter
here is what will happen
Resign: Damon (2 years) Pettite (2 years) Matsui (1 year)
Not Resign: Nady Molina
Sign in FA: John Lackey

SP of: CC, Lackey, Burnett, Pettite, Joba
Pen: Hughes, Mo

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
here is what will happen

You're forgetting about C.M. (PUNK) Wang.

Paul1355

All Star
here is what will happen

doubt Matsui is coming back. We need to be able to put A-Rod and Posada at DH some games. Matsui is getting old and he can't even play the outfield when we have prospects that can in Austin Jackson.

If anything sign a FA who can play outfield and be a 5th hitter in the lineup to replace Matsui

Everything else you said i think will happen.

th3realicon

Rotation player
Wang is arbitration elegible. I doubt he will be back if he demands big bucks. He is a good back of the rotation guy but the last 2 seasons he has been almost always on the DL.

If Bay declined a 4 year 60 mil fron the Sox i see no point whatsoever into going after him. We will not be offering more than that, not to a 31 year good hitting outfielder but with a below average defense and fielding.

Paul1355

All Star
Wang is arbitration elegible. I doubt he will be back if he demands big bucks. He is a good back of the rotation guy but the last 2 seasons he has been almost always on the DL.

If Bay declined a 4 year 60 mil fron the Sox i see no point whatsoever into going after him. We will not be offering more than that, not to a 31 year good hitting outfielder but with a below average defense and fielding.
Bay is all about clutch and carried hat Redsox team with his clutch hitting many times. When he was there, no one was complaining about not having Manny's bat, which no one ever thought would happen.

Wang should not be on this Yankee team. His sinker just has not had the old type of movement. And that was the pitch that made him a good pitcher, along with his velocity.

We need a solid 5th guy to pitch in the rotation, I like Chad Gaudin but Joe G does not so go after some average guy who can pitch 7 innings with no problem and not walk anybody.