Walsh Said He Is Interested In Iverson Story Inside!!!!!!!!!

I AM HAPPY FOR THIS BECAUSE NOW IT WILL BE SOME EXCITEMENT AT THE GARDEN AND IT WILL BE MORE INTERESTING TO WATCH THE KNICKS TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE HOW HE LOOKS ON THIS KNICKS TEAM.

Via Daily News:
Allen Iverson is on the Knicks? radar. Donnie Walsh confirmed tonight that the club will explore signing the former MVP, who parted ways with the Memphis Grizzlies.
Once Iverson clears waivers on Wednesday he will become a free agent and can negotiate with any club.
Is he a good fit for the Knicks? They are 1-9 and desperately need a scorer. However, the Knicks are rebuilding and there is a chance that Iverson?s presence would hinder the development of Danilo Gallinari and rookie Toney Douglas??
Off season, I wasn?t in favor. Now, heck, not much to lose. That said, they HAVE to make room, to me the biggest issue with this group is the fact that there are too many veteran players not on the same page. Subtract then add. Or add with the intention of subtracting.
The team is in need of a presence, and a top 50 player would bring that. Pretty low risk.

I?m not sold that this is a done deal?time to work the phones.
<form id="polls_form_82" class="wp-polls-form" action="/" method="post"> <input name="poll_id" value="82" type="hidden">
Do you want AI​

</form>

please sign iverson and make this team somewhat watchable. it wont hinder the progression of the youngsters. what would hinder their progression is playing with a bunch of losers and winning 20 games.

KBlack25

Starter
AI would make them more watchable...but I don't know, seems like putting a band-aid on a broken arm.

Also AI is a head case, and I have been steadfast in saying I do not want head cases on this team...I'll vote against the AI move, but it probably gets done as it helps sell tickets.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Well, the article does say that Walsh said it "probably wont happen", but it is still a difference from the absolute no he has been giving about AI.

The problem is that although we do need a go to scorer....we need a reliable PG and shot blocker even more. The team also needs cohesion, does AI help w/ that?

Also, AI will need to come off the bench for atleast 10 games....how will he do with that?

But AI can still put 20+ in his sleep -put up 26 per just two seasons ago playing along side of Melo- and will help when this team gets stuck in one of those slumps.

Although signing him could result in out of the frying pan into the fryer....if you accompany locker room turmiol to our losing situation, then we now have the Isiah regime all over again!

I admit I am curious.....but equally leary.

Hell lets do it!

richtree

Rotation player
He can't fit in anywhere and will only my a mockery of his teammates and coaches in the post game press conferences.

Also, this will hinder Douglas's progress, as he will lose alot of mintues.

The only positve out of this is maybe Knicks win 2 extra games or so throughout the year.

Their are 10 negatives for having him. This goes against everything Walsh and D'Antoni have stood for and contradicts the Marbury break-up.

The Knicks sign Iverson it would take them into "circus" mode and if D'Antoni feels he lost the team now, imagine after Iverson and his entourage are in NYC.

Donnie does this I lose a ton of respect for him. Be a man take the lumps and rebuild for next year.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I say sign him for the veteran's minimum for one year. If he does start to hurt the development of our young players or he causes a diva fit, you could always buy him out which will never hit the summer 2010 cap space.

CoolClyde

He can't fit in anywhere and will only my a mockery of his teammates and coaches in the post game press conferences.

Also, this will hinder Douglas's progress, as he will lose alot of mintues.

The only positve out of this is maybe Knicks win 2 extra games or so throughout the year.

Their are 10 negatives for having him. This goes against everything Walsh and D'Antoni have stood for and contradicts the Marbury break-up.

The Knicks sign Iverson it would take them into "circus" mode and if D'Antoni feels he lost the team now, imagine after Iverson and his entourage are in NYC.

Donnie does this I lose a ton of respect for him. Be a man take the lumps and rebuild for next year.
this is a worst-case scenario from a pessimistic viewpoint.

WHAT IF Iverson is exactly what Knicks need to cement team?
- he becomes mentor to Douglas
- becomes go-to guy Knicks don't have
- NYC gets a superstar for less than $2M for year
- resigns with Knicks for minimal $ to support Plan 2010
best of all, A.I. would immediately relegate Duhon to the bench, where he belongs.

that being said, probably won't happen.
walshatwork.gif

Donnie Walsh busting ass to 2010

mafra

Legend
At this point, something needs to be done. This season would be a complete disaster if we hand Utah a top-3 draft pick. The fans also deserve more.

BUT, the real issue is this: Wilson Chandler & Danillo Gallinari would be hurt by a 15-23 win season. That sort of losing stamps a sense of helplessness that we would be best to avoid.

The main thing the Knicks lack is having THAT GUY who will control the ball and create his own offense. N8 and Harrington are the closest thing we have to that but they are WAY too inconsistent to be relied on.

HOWEVER, we do have Eddie Curry returning. There's the connundrum. Might we be better served just slowing things down and dumping down to Eddie. Let him get 18-20 points a night and HOPE to trade him by the deadline? Would Iverson help here?

I BRING IVERSON IN ON ONE CONDITION: You better bring it 100%. I give him financial incentive to make practice. I tell him after DEN, DET & MEM his rep has taken a huge hit. He should be a HOF player, but is he willing to go out with a whimper? OR....

Is Iverson willing to come here. START. Be the man, run the offense. We'll grant his wishes there. On the lone condition that he gives this organization EVERYTHING for six months. This means practicing and mentoring. Be the warrior off the court he is on the court. We'll allow him to do WHATEVER on the court as long as he agrees to be a team player off the court.

Let's give Chandler, Gallo, Hill & Douglas something to play for other than their own personal growth.

Start Iverson, Harrington, Gallinari, Lee & Curry.
Bring N8, Douglas, Chandler, Hill, Darko, Jeffires, Duhon, Landry off the bench.

Let Hughes go. Let him latch on a competitive team, if he can, so he can move on. Try to trade Jeffries & Curry ASAP (so we can work Darko in and see if he can contribute moving fwd).

Finally, try to deal Lee and N8 and get something for them.

jpz17

Starter
to go with what mafra is saying.. honestly.. don't trade nate and lee because at this rate we won't be signing ANY free agents

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I want Iverson because he would be the best scorer the Knicks have seen since.....

Let's not get carried away. Iverson isn't mentoring anyone. He's looking for his shot first, second and third. If D'Antoni can't make Iverson the focal point of the offense or at least a second option then we need not get him. The whole thing will immediately fall apart and only make Walsh look even more foolish.

I don't count the whole Memphis thing against A.I. He was lied to. Iverson made it clear that he wanted to start and I believe the GM told Iverson he'd start and the coach decided against it. Frankly, benching Iverson is incredibly stupid. It was stupid in Detroit and it was stupid in Memphis. Think about it, would you bench Kobe Bryant? Would you bench a guy that can do 2/3 of what Kobe can do? Iverson may not be on a Kobe level but he certainly is 2/3 of a Kobe.

The entire team is maid up of role players. One star and 11 role players? Didn't Iverson take a similar team to the finals?

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
lol your getting a little carried away in those last few sentences. it is true iverson carried a team of role players, but that was the young, hall of fame allen iverson we grew up watching. the allen iverson that crossed, mj, antonio daniels, and many others to shame. the iverson that could score 35 with his eyes closed. fact is he is NO longer that allen iverson. he cant score with as much ease. and i cant say for sure that he is 2/3 as good as kobe atm. i do agree it was pitifilly stupid for memphis to bench him over mike bust conley, and iverson will look villafied for that blunder. but while i wouldnt mind picking up iverson, it would merely be for the excitement(media attention, some exciting games from him), not for any playoff hopes.

Torp

Benchwarmer
The Knicks problem is that we HAVE NO GO TO GUY!!! It is a sad day in hell when our go to guy is someone like harrington. It is a sad day when our go to guy for a last second buzzer shot is first year rookie Toney Douglas....

With Allen Iverson, this will finally give our role players (EVERYONE ON THE KNICKS ROSTER) a chance to actually play a role. Gallinari will get 5+ more open threes a game just because allen iverson will get double teamed at some point. That right there is enough to win a game.

I STRONGLY believe that Allen Iverson is NOT a team cancer whatsoever. He is a first ballot hall of famer. The only reason Iverson could not excel in his new teams is because everyone was giving him a bench role in the team. Allen Iverson is not a bench player. He is not someone that you CONSTRICT, which is exactly what every other team did.

Coach D'Antoni will let Allen Iverson do what he likes, and Allen Iverson will shine. He will take it into his own hands when he feels he can do so, and he has great shooters and david lee down low to help him out. With AI i feel we can finally run the system how Coach D always wanted to.

As other people said. IF ANYTHING, at least he will get Duhon out of the starting lineup, and that is good enough for me. For SUCH LITTLE money, how can we turn that down.

People thought Steve Nash was done, look at him shine now. And allen iverson is a helluva lot more athletic than steve nash.

Jeezus christ, if he does well, and we can deal some of the other guys, we could actually have AI, with 2 other big Free agents. AI deserves a championship title and that would be great if he could end it here in NY.

Again, AI > Duhon, robinson, hughes, douglas.... Don't give me that "he will hinder the rookies development, i dont buy that for a second", if anything the young kids will learn a thing or two from the guy. Or maybe not... "how the hell can i make my teamates better by going to practice" lol... This personality belongs in new york u gotta admit.