Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We should keep Hughes

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

Hughes old... Hughes some positives but more negatives.

Knicks are not any better with him, plain and simple reason why his money is better spent on someone who can consistently produce in a supporting role.

He showed some excellent awareness vs Denver. Timely passes and cuts on offense.

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    He showed some excellent awareness vs Denver. Timely passes and cuts on offense.
    I was extremely impressed with his play against denver... But its tough for me to pick who I want to keep on this team... We're way to inconsistent... But his play has been great recently...

Hughes has his negative moments were he is ice cold shooting (like against the Magic) and when he steps out of bounce which is almost every game.
    Other than those two negatives he brings more skill to the table like passing, awareness, some shooting and good defense.

The two that I like staying are Hughes and Harrington for cheap, if they accept a cheap offer that is.

A good player that should be signed in 2010 can make Harrington and Hughes a lot better. Add Gallinari to that list.

Avon, Colorado, deep in the Rockies, played ball in St. Louis

Default 8 assist in a quarter, not selfish, great passes this year

Originally Posted by Arod2k9
    I thought the idea was to sacrifice wins for the development of the young players we have! BTW and not even saying we have a core like the Thunder that have Durant, Westbrook, Green, Harden. But in Hill, Gallinari, Douglas and Chandler we have to see what we got in them. I want us to win but we haven't gone after free agents for at least one season so why have guys that want to pad their stats up. Instead of taking all those shots, become a facilitator and pass the damn ball to Gallinari when he's hot, or Hill when he's in the post. I really believe that the reason the Bulls benched and traded Hughes to us were for those same reasons I have mentioned. You can't develop Tyrus Thomas and Noah with Hughes as one of your lead guards. The guy is selfish and is out to get his, watch the game tonight you'll see. No doubt he can score and is a good player, however in this team which is rebuilding he shouldn't play the way he is playing. He should deferred to others that need the opportunity to succeed. The way some people are talking about Hughes you might think he's in Pippen's category.
    Hughes has changed his game, he is not padding his stats unless you think assist, steals and rebounds are padding? Tyrus Thomas has not developed in three years and the Bulls want to dump him. No way you give your leading scorer to your own division. Hughes is not in Pippen's catagory, but do you see a Jordon on this team, come on, no one is making that comparison.

He has dished to everyone on the team, all the way down the bench. Hey, he is the highest paid Knick in his 12th year in the league, he is not playing for too much, maybe a couple million next year. Coaches know what Hughes is all about after a decade.
    I would bet he goes back to Washington and plays with Arenas. He will be a great asset for teams for another 4-5 years coming off the bench.
    Your looking at the Hughes from Cleveland. Lebron's excuse for several years. Yes, he out scored Lebron some games untill he tore his finger up so bad he had to alter his whole way he handles a ball and shoots (close to career ending). He took Cleveland through Detroit to the finals as a point guard and they have never been back. Funny, Lebron doesn't mention that, and they pay more and go after more every year. But nobody in Cleveland gets the ball until Lebron brings it up court (as the guard), plays his 1 on five, then throws it to Hughes back then or another player with 4 seconds left on the clock. No matter which way you cut it, Hughes has scored 14 ppg for a dozen years, great defender, covers the passing lanes, and has his streaks on offense. Great hands, low turnovers, beautiful passes.
    Not bad when the average length of a career is 3.8 years and he is only 30.
    Plus, Hughes never has been a distraction off the court to any team in his career, a tad nice for the Knicks. Lee and Hughes are from St. Louis, though Hughes started in the NBA when Lee was in 10th grade. I think he is better than Duhon, and surely better than Duhon this year. You think Duhon is a Pippen? Nate? Douglas? I will take Hughes at a real 6 foot 5, who gets the toughest defensive assignment every nigh on D. Remember to watch both ends of the court, the way he hustles, he deserves to jack one up for he takes away 5-8 away from the other team.
    I would take him off the bench the next few years, if you look, he is the guy that came through on just about each of the five Knick wins. Not that that has anyone thrilled though.

Trade hughes for a 2010 mid-first round pick. A couple of solid point guards will be available in the middle of the first next year.

Default Why would one even compare the two players?

Originally Posted by TunerAddict
    Nate isn't even remotely a good 3pt shooter...If you want someone to shoot threes, get a pure shooter in there, like Gallo.

Nate is hot and cold, with the majority of his time spent on the cold side.
    If I had to play for the most wins this year, I would take Hughes.
    Gallo is not that great of an all around player at the least.
    First, he is a forward, actually he should be a center on the team now, but he can not jump. He is 6 foot 9, I can tell you that Lee is about 6 foot 7 at best.

A point is a point and pulling the defense out of the paint is not a huge strategy with a 6 foot 7 center, would you agree?

Hughes gives you as many points per minute as Gallo? Hughes also takes more points away from the other side of the score board with defense. Why does Hughes have to guard Lebron, would not Gallo be a better match with size and greatness?

How about Vince Carter? D-Wade, Kobe, Gallo does not get one tough assignment and fans get to stuck on his big three point shooting like Robinson? They will give you 5-7 three pointers, but the guy they guarding is getting 30 points, 5 more than them. Who cares if they are 3 pointers, 2 pointers, slashes and lay ups. Gallo can not dribble, but tries to show off between his legs and turns the ball over. He is a pure jump shooter so far with bad back. No interest from other teams. Look at Daniel "Booby" Gibson on Cleveland two years ago, then look last year? Hows that for three pointers?

Look, if you think Gallo will make it a dozen years in this league like Hughes, you have little knowledge of the game. Court vision, ball control, speed, defense and ball movement has kept Hughes in the game, never his Three Point Game? Earning 60 million over the past five years, he did something right and he is only 30. I say he plays another 3-5 years more off the bench.

Now, go to the other end of the court, is Gallo is poor on defense? A great defender? Can Gallo play the guard spot, like Lebron does, or Kobe? That would be a great night, Earl Boykins could tear him up.

Can Hughes at 6 foot 5 play the small forward, yes, he has already proven it. Can he play the point? Yes, won the Eastern Division with Cleveland a few years back as their point guard when Eric Snow went down. Not even his natural position, but played right through Chauncey Billips and Detroit.

Comparing the two is crazy anyway. You run with Gallo and see if he develops, but a back surgery on a big player like him has never played well in the NBA at his young age, you can just see his movements are not very fluid, he is one stiff player with a good 3 pointer, but has his off nights just as Hughes does shooting.

Hughes dishes Gallo, Lee, Harrington so many great assist it is music, don't you watch or go to the games? He is not the future of the Knicks, but he pulled them out of loosing in every win this year.

Compare Gallo and Lee, then you got a valid discussion. You take Gallo, you got a big risk. Get a real center for this team, let David Lee play the 3 or 4 position and you have one great hard working forward, who will give you double double's all year long (he does it as the smallest center in the league already, with no complaints, boxes out so well and has great foot work). David Lee worked his tail off and played all four years at Florida versus coming out as a junior and made it in the NBA. 98% of kids would never have the desire and commitment to the game as David Lee. Believe me, Lee did not have to worry about income and I doubt is over 6 foot 7.

So who do you take, Lee or Gallo? Go read stats, other than pure NBA stats and see who contributes to the teams wins. When you look at a game, look how many assist are tough, sharp passes. Look at the defensive assignments? Who gets the number one scorer on the other team (Hughes on Kobe, Gallo should maybe take him?). How many turnovers a game?
    How many steals? How many times is Gallo's player left wide open and his is 15 feet away? What does the team do when the player is on the court?
    Lead increases, goes down, stays even? Basketball is like Church, many attend, but few understand. Defensive players do not get much credit, no one even gave out awards until around 1979 for defensive player of the year. But that is why Hughes is still playing, never for his low thirties 3 point average for a dozen years. Is he taking minutes from Gallo? No way. Most fans are interested in just points or three pointers like you.
    The win column is the only thing that counts at the end of the year.

I would like you to explain the comparison a 2 or 1 guard versus using Gallo?

13 mln is too much for Larry's abilities, even if he had some good games last time. He is on the 30 top nba salaries... Chris Paul has also 13 mln contract this year, compare these guards with their price. On the other hands Hughes should try his best because nyk could resigne from his service next year ( we should also remember that his role is a result of Mobley retirement ), maybe that made his attitude recently quite good, BTW another profit for NYK a.k.a. Next Year Knocking down team
    Last edited by milchshake; Dec 08, 2009 at 15:05.

Superstar

Default Hughes et.

It is premature to consider whether Hughes or any one of our expiring contract players will be with us in 2010. In order to maximize our under the cap space for front line free agents, we have to reduce our "Team Salary." In order to do that we will renounce our Bird Rights to the expiring contract players. Then we play with our cap space. Our first choices will not be Lee, Hughes, Harrington or Duhon. If we sign a free agent to a max contract, and assuming Curry and Jefferies are still with us, there is not going to be much left.

We will be better off trading our expiring contract performers for some other teams' expiring contract deadwood plus some low priced but promising young players or draft choices. Hughes, Harrngton,, Lee etc will still be free agents in 2010, but if traded to other teams, the other teams will have their Bird rights.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; Dec 08, 2009 at 16:38. Reason: typo

Banned

What a herb (not Williams either)! Larry Hughes is a bum, as he has always been. He's just doing a lil' something for contract offers this summer. I bet the sucker ass knicks will gives him what he wants too.

Originally Posted by milchshake
    13 mln is too much for Larry's abilities, even if he had some good games last time. He is on the 30 top nba salaries... Chris Paul has also 13 mln contract this year, compare these guards with their price. On the other hands Hughes should try his best because nyk could resigne from his service next year ( we should also remember that his role is a result of Mobley retirement ), maybe that made his attitude recently quite good, BTW another profit for NYK a.k.a. Next Year Knocking down team
    13 mil is the last year of a long contract that increased every year. Of course Hughes is not worth 13 million but he is in his last year which makes him valuable to this team financially.

Default Guess you don't read the stats or go/watch games.

Originally Posted by milchshake

No, not good time last game, Hughes has been good in every win this year. When a player tries his best you see it on defense, and that is what Hughes has been doing. He is in the top ten in steals. Led the league at Washington for steals in the year. Yes, he would be sweet of the bench, but your not going to get big name players and bid name guards and think your going to be under the cap do you?

Hughes puts Duhon to shame, Duhon does not pass to Hughes very much, watch the games. Problem is, Duhon does not understand, Hughes does not want the point, he can't slash and play his game (defense) but you want Duhon at the highest minutes per game with the whole team and the least about of ppg and poor defense 33 minutes for 7 points? Give me Douglas and give me Robinson dropping the hollywood act.

Why don't you trade Duhon for Paul, that is how ridiculous your comparison is. Hughes is a free agent and I will bet he is not coming back to New York.
    10,000 points, a dozen years in the league and still starting and only 30 years old, give me the select few that nail that.

He is making 17 million this year, final year of 5 year deal from Cleveland to pulled him from the Wizards to play the two guard and promised the two guard, but then moved him to the point. Hey, the won the East with Hughes playing the point, right through Chauncey and they have not done it since? Usually players don't go to the team and ask them to shave off $5 million.
    You think you can trade Hughes for Paul, no one does, the argument is useless.
    Your looking at what the Knicks pay, look how Hughes moves the ball and the player on offense, they game is way better and the younger ones are learning.

I think I would trade Duhon and N/8 for a garbage man and a ice skater. I hate them both. Hughs at this point is the least of our problems. I would not mind to see him around for a while.

Originally Posted by BlackH20
    No, not good time last game, Hughes has been good in every win this year. When a player tries his best you see it on defense, and that is what Hughes has been doing. He is in the top ten in steals. Led the league at Washington for steals in the year. Yes, he would be sweet of the bench, but your not going to get big name players and bid name guards and think your going to be under the cap do you?

Hughes puts Duhon to shame, Duhon does not pass to Hughes very much, watch the games. Problem is, Duhon does not understand, Hughes does not want the point, he can't slash and play his game (defense) but you want Duhon at the highest minutes per game with the whole team and the least about of ppg and poor defense 33 minutes for 7 points? Give me Douglas and give me Robinson dropping the hollywood act.

Why don't you trade Duhon for Paul, that is how ridiculous your comparison is. Hughes is a free agent and I will bet he is not coming back to New York.
    10,000 points, a dozen years in the league and still starting and only 30 years old, give me the select few that nail that.

He is making 17 million this year, final year of 5 year deal from Cleveland to pulled him from the Wizards to play the two guard and promised the two guard, but then moved him to the point. Hey, the won the East with Hughes playing the point, right through Chauncey and they have not done it since? Usually players don't go to the team and ask them to shave off $5 million.
    You think you can trade Hughes for Paul, no one does, the argument is useless.
    Your looking at what the Knicks pay, look how Hughes moves the ball and the player on offense, they game is way better and the younger ones are learning.

Duhon is the other story and I never said that I prefer Duhon at the highest minute, Paul for him ( 6 mln contract )... when, who, why, how ? You will bet that Larry is not coming back to NY, off course - playing at highest level will give him more opportunities to leave the team. My point is not trading Hughes or anybody for Paul ( quite better in every stats than Larry ? ) , just comparing what we get for THIS price for reflection. Larry at the top 10 steals with 1.7 per game - John Salmons also and he is not 13 mln player. I agreed with You, Hughes is not going to beg for stay with us, it doesn't mean that nyk should propose him more money to stay. Who will give him good ( comparable to present ) contract if he is not try his best, he's already doing that with advantage to the team to stay valuable.

Veteran

Question Mark

Since Hughes days in Washington he has always been a top-5 defensive guard in the league.
    Nine out of 10 he may return to the Wizards to play with scorer PG-Arenas & SF-Jamison.

Hughes shooting is the reason why he been moved around the league.
    Notice oponents do not defend Hughes on the peremeter and some dont defend him outside the paint, thats from coaches and players knowing his 12 years in the league.
    Yes, the last 3 games Hughes shots been falling from the peremeter at a high percentage. But a team wants Hughes to pass the ball off of one of his many steals rather than jack-up the shot of every steal he makes which he did last season when he first became a Knick.