We should keep Hughes

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Trade hughes for a 2010 mid-first round pick. A couple of solid point guards will be available in the middle of the first next year.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Why would one even compare the two players?

Nate isn't even remotely a good 3pt shooter...If you want someone to shoot threes, get a pure shooter in there, like Gallo.

Nate is hot and cold, with the majority of his time spent on the cold side.

If I had to play for the most wins this year, I would take Hughes.
Gallo is not that great of an all around player at the least.
First, he is a forward, actually he should be a center on the team now, but he can not jump. He is 6 foot 9, I can tell you that Lee is about 6 foot 7 at best.

A point is a point and pulling the defense out of the paint is not a huge strategy with a 6 foot 7 center, would you agree?

Hughes gives you as many points per minute as Gallo? Hughes also takes more points away from the other side of the score board with defense. Why does Hughes have to guard Lebron, would not Gallo be a better match with size and greatness?

How about Vince Carter? D-Wade, Kobe, Gallo does not get one tough assignment and fans get to stuck on his big three point shooting like Robinson? They will give you 5-7 three pointers, but the guy they guarding is getting 30 points, 5 more than them. Who cares if they are 3 pointers, 2 pointers, slashes and lay ups. Gallo can not dribble, but tries to show off between his legs and turns the ball over. He is a pure jump shooter so far with bad back. No interest from other teams. Look at Daniel "Booby" Gibson on Cleveland two years ago, then look last year? Hows that for three pointers?

Look, if you think Gallo will make it a dozen years in this league like Hughes, you have little knowledge of the game. Court vision, ball control, speed, defense and ball movement has kept Hughes in the game, never his Three Point Game? Earning 60 million over the past five years, he did something right and he is only 30. I say he plays another 3-5 years more off the bench.

Now, go to the other end of the court, is Gallo is poor on defense? A great defender? Can Gallo play the guard spot, like Lebron does, or Kobe? That would be a great night, Earl Boykins could tear him up.

Can Hughes at 6 foot 5 play the small forward, yes, he has already proven it. Can he play the point? Yes, won the Eastern Division with Cleveland a few years back as their point guard when Eric Snow went down. Not even his natural position, but played right through Chauncey Billips and Detroit.

Comparing the two is crazy anyway. You run with Gallo and see if he develops, but a back surgery on a big player like him has never played well in the NBA at his young age, you can just see his movements are not very fluid, he is one stiff player with a good 3 pointer, but has his off nights just as Hughes does shooting.

Hughes dishes Gallo, Lee, Harrington so many great assist it is music, don't you watch or go to the games? He is not the future of the Knicks, but he pulled them out of loosing in every win this year.

Compare Gallo and Lee, then you got a valid discussion. You take Gallo, you got a big risk. Get a real center for this team, let David Lee play the 3 or 4 position and you have one great hard working forward, who will give you double double's all year long (he does it as the smallest center in the league already, with no complaints, boxes out so well and has great foot work). David Lee worked his tail off and played all four years at Florida versus coming out as a junior and made it in the NBA. 98% of kids would never have the desire and commitment to the game as David Lee. Believe me, Lee did not have to worry about income and I doubt is over 6 foot 7.

So who do you take, Lee or Gallo? Go read stats, other than pure NBA stats and see who contributes to the teams wins. When you look at a game, look how many assist are tough, sharp passes. Look at the defensive assignments? Who gets the number one scorer on the other team (Hughes on Kobe, Gallo should maybe take him?). How many turnovers a game?
How many steals? How many times is Gallo's player left wide open and his is 15 feet away? What does the team do when the player is on the court?
Lead increases, goes down, stays even? Basketball is like Church, many attend, but few understand. Defensive players do not get much credit, no one even gave out awards until around 1979 for defensive player of the year. But that is why Hughes is still playing, never for his low thirties 3 point average for a dozen years. Is he taking minutes from Gallo? No way. Most fans are interested in just points or three pointers like you.
The win column is the only thing that counts at the end of the year.

I would like you to explain the comparison a 2 or 1 guard versus using Gallo?

milchshake

Benchwarmer
13 mln is too much for Larry's abilities, even if he had some good games last time. He is on the 30 top nba salaries... Chris Paul has also 13 mln contract this year, compare these guards with their price. On the other hands Hughes should try his best because nyk could resigne from his service next year ( we should also remember that his role is a result of Mobley retirement ), maybe that made his attitude recently quite good, BTW another profit for NYK a.k.a. Next Year Knocking down team :teeth:

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Hughes et.

It is premature to consider whether Hughes or any one of our expiring contract players will be with us in 2010. In order to maximize our under the cap space for front line free agents, we have to reduce our "Team Salary." In order to do that we will renounce our Bird Rights to the expiring contract players. Then we play with our cap space. Our first choices will not be Lee, Hughes, Harrington or Duhon. If we sign a free agent to a max contract, and assuming Curry and Jefferies are still with us, there is not going to be much left.

We will be better off trading our expiring contract performers for some other teams' expiring contract deadwood plus some low priced but promising young players or draft choices. Hughes, Harrngton,, Lee etc will still be free agents in 2010, but if traded to other teams, the other teams will have their Bird rights.

Last edited:

HardFoul

Banned
What a herb (not Williams either)! Larry Hughes is a bum, as he has always been. He's just doing a lil' something for contract offers this summer. I bet the sucker ass knicks will gives him what he wants too.

Paul1355

All Star
13 mln is too much for Larry's abilities, even if he had some good games last time. He is on the 30 top nba salaries... Chris Paul has also 13 mln contract this year, compare these guards with their price. On the other hands Hughes should try his best because nyk could resigne from his service next year ( we should also remember that his role is a result of Mobley retirement ), maybe that made his attitude recently quite good, BTW another profit for NYK a.k.a. Next Year Knocking down team :teeth:
13 mil is the last year of a long contract that increased every year. Of course Hughes is not worth 13 million but he is in his last year which makes him valuable to this team financially.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Guess you don't read the stats or go/watch games.

No, not good time last game, Hughes has been good in every win this year. When a player tries his best you see it on defense, and that is what Hughes has been doing. He is in the top ten in steals. Led the league at Washington for steals in the year. Yes, he would be sweet of the bench, but your not going to get big name players and bid name guards and think your going to be under the cap do you?

Hughes puts Duhon to shame, Duhon does not pass to Hughes very much, watch the games. Problem is, Duhon does not understand, Hughes does not want the point, he can't slash and play his game (defense) but you want Duhon at the highest minutes per game with the whole team and the least about of ppg and poor defense 33 minutes for 7 points? Give me Douglas and give me Robinson dropping the hollywood act.

Why don't you trade Duhon for Paul, that is how ridiculous your comparison is. Hughes is a free agent and I will bet he is not coming back to New York.
10,000 points, a dozen years in the league and still starting and only 30 years old, give me the select few that nail that.

He is making 17 million this year, final year of 5 year deal from Cleveland to pulled him from the Wizards to play the two guard and promised the two guard, but then moved him to the point. Hey, the won the East with Hughes playing the point, right through Chauncey and they have not done it since? Usually players don't go to the team and ask them to shave off $5 million.
You think you can trade Hughes for Paul, no one does, the argument is useless.
Your looking at what the Knicks pay, look how Hughes moves the ball and the player on offense, they game is way better and the younger ones are learning.

tylerdurdin

Rookie
I think I would trade Duhon and N/8 for a garbage man and a ice skater. I hate them both. Hughs at this point is the least of our problems. I would not mind to see him around for a while.

milchshake

Benchwarmer
No, not good time last game, Hughes has been good in every win this year. When a player tries his best you see it on defense, and that is what Hughes has been doing. He is in the top ten in steals. Led the league at Washington for steals in the year. Yes, he would be sweet of the bench, but your not going to get big name players and bid name guards and think your going to be under the cap do you?

Hughes puts Duhon to shame, Duhon does not pass to Hughes very much, watch the games. Problem is, Duhon does not understand, Hughes does not want the point, he can't slash and play his game (defense) but you want Duhon at the highest minutes per game with the whole team and the least about of ppg and poor defense 33 minutes for 7 points? Give me Douglas and give me Robinson dropping the hollywood act.

Why don't you trade Duhon for Paul, that is how ridiculous your comparison is. Hughes is a free agent and I will bet he is not coming back to New York.
10,000 points, a dozen years in the league and still starting and only 30 years old, give me the select few that nail that.

He is making 17 million this year, final year of 5 year deal from Cleveland to pulled him from the Wizards to play the two guard and promised the two guard, but then moved him to the point. Hey, the won the East with Hughes playing the point, right through Chauncey and they have not done it since? Usually players don't go to the team and ask them to shave off $5 million.
You think you can trade Hughes for Paul, no one does, the argument is useless.
Your looking at what the Knicks pay, look how Hughes moves the ball and the player on offense, they game is way better and the younger ones are learning.

Duhon is the other story and I never said that I prefer Duhon at the highest minute, Paul for him ( 6 mln contract )... when, who, why, how ? You will bet that Larry is not coming back to NY, off course - playing at highest level will give him more opportunities to leave the team. My point is not trading Hughes or anybody for Paul ( quite better in every stats than Larry ? ) , just comparing what we get for THIS price for reflection. Larry at the top 10 steals with 1.7 per game - John Salmons also and he is not 13 mln player. I agreed with You, Hughes is not going to beg for stay with us, it doesn't mean that nyk should propose him more money to stay. Who will give him good ( comparable to present ) contract if he is not try his best, he's already doing that with advantage to the team to stay valuable.

Kiyaman

Legend
Since Hughes days in Washington he has always been a top-5 defensive guard in the league.
Nine out of 10 he may return to the Wizards to play with scorer PG-Arenas & SF-Jamison.

Hughes shooting is the reason why he been moved around the league.
Notice oponents do not defend Hughes on the peremeter and some dont defend him outside the paint, thats from coaches and players knowing his 12 years in the league.
Yes, the last 3 games Hughes shots been falling from the peremeter at a high percentage. But a team wants Hughes to pass the ball off of one of his many steals rather than jack-up the shot of every steal he makes which he did last season when he first became a Knick.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
response

Duhon is the other story and I never said that I prefer Duhon at the highest minute, Paul for him ( 6 mln contract )... when, who, why, how ? You will bet that Larry is not coming back to NY, off course - playing at highest level will give him more opportunities to leave the team. My point is not trading Hughes or anybody for Paul ( quite better in every stats than Larry ? ) , just comparing what we get for THIS price for reflection. Larry at the top 10 steals with 1.7 per game - John Salmons also and he is not 13 mln player. I agreed with You, Hughes is not going to beg for stay with us, it doesn't mean that nyk should propose him more money to stay. Who will give him good ( comparable to present ) contract if he is not try his best, he's already doing that with advantage to the team to stay valuable.

No one will give him a comparable contract at age 31? 60 plus million for 5 years? Hope you are not running a teams books, even fantasy for that matter (just joking here). Hey, you look at he price tag when you make the trade, not after? What is the deal?
Is A.I. playing for 20 M now? Hughes will play for a few million or he may retire and enjoy his family. He was brought here for Defense and the expiring contract. If NY gives him anything over 3 million I would be shocked. If he took it, I would be more shocked, but who knows. When you earn about $70,000 a night for the last five years and live conservative as Hughes has during 12 years in the league, he his going to play where he finds the best match, not just money at this point. It's love of the game here, not leading Cleveland or L.A. to the finals. Do you think Shaq is playing for money? You say he is trying his best? You have never watched Hughes or looked at his states over the past 11 years?
Go look at his stats, he is playing the same for nearly 12 years in the league. This year is no different than others. Your trying to pin money on him, it won't stick, the numbers are the same. At this point, unless a player is broke (which happens to some) these guys play for the love of the game.
With the average length of a NBA career about 3.5 years, Hughes has done very well financially. He will play to contribute, win, and have fun.
He asked to contribute at Chicago while he was DNP for half a season. But his stats there, when playing, are close as they are all the time during his whole career, what figure is down?
If you give him 30 plus minutes per game, he will give you the same numbers. If you take him in and out, it kills his game and shot. D'Antonio puts him in, they Knicks go up 14, he pulls him, it gets close again, Larry goes back in, then you blame him for not being perfect. Out of bounds, look at the turnover rates, isn't he one of the lowest. Doesn't he get the most steals, where is the credit there. He still has speed to cover the passing lanes in year 12. Watch how he puts on all his sweats when D' Antonio pulls him out, then puts a a couple of towels over his legs. Many players like Hughes, cannot go in and out of a game and get their shot. Nor do they get it in practice. Cleveland, not too many other players even touch the ball. Hughes has always said he needs 30 plus minutes a couple times a week to get his shot on. I think NY is getting their money's worth and getting some good leadership, defense, assist.
At this point, he is behind the wheel on his career. Don't think someone is going to pick him up and give much for 50 games. If they do and he learns the offense and the team, your down to 30 games. Then, he is on his own come April May June. 12 years, no matter what age is a lot of miles on those legs in the NBA, regardless of age. Besides maybe Nash, tell me how many starting guards playing over 30 minutes are in the NBA after a decade?
You only need 1 hand, and you will never see Duhon, Douglas, Robinson and I doubt Paul will make it in this group.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Hughes not in same league with Paul

Hughes has 10,000 points and a dozen years on his body (plus 10,000 points and 100 million), any comparison is futile. The Knicks need a point guard, Duhon sucks, has never averaged in double figures is his long dull 5 year career. We played him 20 games to come out of a slump to get up to an 8 ppg average. Probably played right out of the playoffs. D'Antonio is getting the job done, got to give him credit. Hughes will be in the league a few more years if he really loves the game, if not, making 12 years in the NBA is feat that few ever make. Keep Lee, at 6 foot 7 (trust me), he is a great forward. Gallo is young, keep him, hope he develope, unless a sweet trade comes. He is streaky also. Your not getting Lebron, so lets clear that. We need a point guard, a center and two top tier players to compete, just compete in the east next year.

milchshake

Benchwarmer
No one will give him a comparable contract at age 31? 60 plus million for 5 years?

sorry for that, I wasn't clear at this point, not comparable to whole contract, only to last season earnings and his tenure:thumbsup:

Don't try to prove me that he's so magnificent, I saw his stats - yea they're admirable when he was avg 22 ppg and 2.9 spg and 5.9 apg but we're not about past so look at the present game logs ( 15 games below 10 points for example ), maybe I should say he is just doing his best not trying, but the thread is about keeping him and the bottom line is: not to keep larry. As I remember and as I said, nyk wanted MOBLEY , but his retirement forced them to play more Larry, tell me if I am wrong ? The question in this thread is also quite ridiculous propably nobody thinks about longer future with Larry, his contract expire, his stats are regular for 12 years - ok after this season Knicks goal is huge salary cap in 2010 so we'll let him play and then let him go away. So for him it was also a chance, imagine: Cuttino wasn't retire, could he play his 30 minute, I don't think so. In this case how he could have fun and keep stats on HIS high level ? Nevertheless I'm not interesting on his retirement or playing for fun not for money in the future, but I don't understand what's wrong in my opinion that he keep doing best for opportunity to stay hot for another team? ( especially as posted below when he's a bum hah and by his best I mean avg 20 pts ) Is it mutually exclusive with his 12 years stats and his love to the game as You describe his attitude:peace:

Last edited:

milchshake

Benchwarmer
Hughes has 10,000 points and a dozen years on his body (plus 10,000 points and 100 million), any comparison is futile. The Knicks need a point guard, Duhon sucks, has never averaged in double figures is his long dull 5 year career. We played him 20 games to come out of a slump to get up to an 8 ppg average. Probably played right out of the playoffs. D'Antonio is getting the job done, got to give him credit. Hughes will be in the league a few more years if he really loves the game, if not, making 12 years in the NBA is feat that few ever make. Keep Lee, at 6 foot 7 (trust me), he is a great forward. Gallo is young, keep him, hope he develope, unless a sweet trade comes. He is streaky also. Your not getting Lebron, so lets clear that. We need a point guard, a center and two top tier players to compete, just compete in the east next year.

And again Duhon, on this forum discussion about him is :barf: everybody thinks he's a very weak PG, I do also, his stats from game are funny sometimes - like 1-15 FG or sth like that, that is what we can see in most every game. Only few were good, with NOH for example, but he's also at the 10th place with 6.7 assist per game, nevermind, as You said NYK need a real PG, center - we played without him for years... and two top tier - yes we're quite short team, it's what you can see in rebounds - the worst in the league when I'm looking last time, and what we got than from David double-double's ? :agreed: Gallo stays, Lee is valuable but his future with Knicks is not so sure, he can get many opportunities.

We got LBJ maniacs but IMO with or without him KNICKS won't be able to compete at the highest PO level if they don't get sensible support. Summer free agents bonanza will give all the answers.

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Larry Hughes is a bum. It is no coincidence that the Chicago Bulls traded him for Jerome James.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Hughes, one of the most charitable players in the league

Larry Hughes is a bum. It is no coincidence that the Chicago Bulls traded him for Jerome James.

Larry Hughes was acquired for his contract expiration at the end of this year, in which he makes 17 million and defensive skills. Highest paid Bull, Highest paid Knick. Oh ya, he took his SAT's, unlike Derrick "give up 30 plus wins at Memphis Rose. If a "bum" earns $207,000 a night, from his talent and work ethic, let me please be a bum. I never made past Division One and I am proud of riding the bench on that. Only about 400 men make the NBA in a year. The average career is under 4 years. Nearly 30% are rookies. He knows the league and the game and has assisted about every Knicks win this year. Clock management, defense, ball handling, defense, defense, steals after 12 years in the league are still outstanding.
More years in the league is purely his choice. Hughes is one smart player with a heart of gold toward kids. How many years have you played in the league? Your game one of the top 400 on the rock son?

Larry Hughes assisted his mother, while she worked two jobs take care of his brother most of his grade and high school years. Think of him as a nurse to his younger brother battling for his life.
His only brother needed a new heart. A match finally came and Larry did not want to leave St. Louis to be with his brother and assist his mother. He played for St. Louis University, the transplant was completed. With tremendous medical bills, Larry became the 6th pick in the NBA at the age of 18 and took care of the family. His mother truly wanted him to get his degree.
During the Eastern finals a few years ago, Larry's only brother passed due to complications. Lebron James and Larry playing a point guard at 6 foot 5, got the Cavs through the East, and Chauncy Billips. They lost four straight against San Antonio. The Cavs have never been back. Hughes can play one hell of a point guard. Larry was given the Austin Carr award in Cleveland, for the player with the best achievement on and off the court including the community. He has frequent transplant awareness fund raisers and is known in the cities he has played to tell the gas stations to give free gas for the full day to help people out. No, Larry Hughes is no bum my friend, maybe not a superstar scorer in your eyes, but a defensive player that coaches and those with true judges of talent have kept him in the NBA for a dozen years at the age of 30. Watch who covers D-Wade, Kobie, LeBron, CP3 and watch their game be down. Ever in trouble on or off the court, never. How was he notified of the trade to New York? A text message. Class move of the Bulls that maybe someone can see how Michael and Scottie have distanced themselves from. Not traded for Jerome James, but Walsh wanted to have someone show defense to some young players and free up money for 2010. Larry Hughes is a role model for my children, he is not a superstar, they know that life is more than just a game, and here is someone that has challenged adversity numerous times in his life and continues to give back to any community he is involved or living in.
Even recent adversities including dealing with his wife having a brain aneurysm in hear late twenties with three young children. He is a good man, with a long career, even leading the league in steals one year and has been very charitable to helping people realize what can be done to help transplant patients and their families. To say what you keystroke so quickly is leaves much to be desired.
St. Louis has also given you David Lee, another great role model who's family is one who is very charitable to St. Louis. Pure work ethic got Lee at 6 foot 7 where he is. Also, Clyde Frasier, from just across the river at Southern Illinois University has gave some good contributions to the Knicks as another St. Louis player, Senator Bill Bradley.

If you can get all that done by age 30 and sink 10,000 points, and be a gentleman, maybe you can be a "bum", for some reason, I doubt it?

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
No, still a little as Clyde would say "deprecatory"

yup, bum is too pejorative for you so maybe well-traveled Larry :teeth:

With over a 100 players playing on more than 7 teams, well traveled for 12 years in the NBA with 6 is not much these days, especially when he asked to be traded by Cleveland and Chicago. He would be a great guard of the bench and just may be for the Knicks, defense never shows up much in stats, and Hughes takes the toughest assignments on the Knicks. Playing the game, Division one for DePaul and maybe being just a fan in your case may diverge viewpoints on our opinion, to me, being able to play with the other 359 best players in the world is an accomplishment for 12 seasons.
The list is small my friend of those who have accomplished this. Wherever you may live, see if you can come up with 5 from your state in it's history?

milchshake

Benchwarmer
Wherever you may live, see if you can come up with 5 from your state in it's history?

just lay low I feel like I'm saying ( as a matter fact I have never said that hughes sucks only that he's not worth his price and he got his second youth ? don't know how to say it I hope it's understandable ) that one of the greatest in nba SUCKS. 6 teams in 12 years but some twice.... and I got you there, he changed team 10 times in his carrier is this much or not:beer: I'm not going to search for this 5 players, I can't because I'm European ! nevertheless what does it change ? some players have travel so many places or rather so many times and some fan like larry so much, what if I like marbury... he sells cheap shoes, got a charity awards, donate katrina victims, but i never said that he is worth over 20 mln even with his stats or even 10 with his attitude... so let's make a statement: saving larry for next year will be sensible only as a bench not such expensive player and no more traveling for him hah.

Last edited: