Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We should keep Hughes

Avon, Colorado, deep in the Rockies, played ball in St. Louis

Default response

Originally Posted by milchshake
    Duhon is the other story and I never said that I prefer Duhon at the highest minute, Paul for him ( 6 mln contract )... when, who, why, how ? You will bet that Larry is not coming back to NY, off course - playing at highest level will give him more opportunities to leave the team. My point is not trading Hughes or anybody for Paul ( quite better in every stats than Larry ? ) , just comparing what we get for THIS price for reflection. Larry at the top 10 steals with 1.7 per game - John Salmons also and he is not 13 mln player. I agreed with You, Hughes is not going to beg for stay with us, it doesn't mean that nyk should propose him more money to stay. Who will give him good ( comparable to present ) contract if he is not try his best, he's already doing that with advantage to the team to stay valuable.
    No one will give him a comparable contract at age 31? 60 plus million for 5 years? Hope you are not running a teams books, even fantasy for that matter (just joking here). Hey, you look at he price tag when you make the trade, not after? What is the deal?
    Is A.I. playing for 20 M now? Hughes will play for a few million or he may retire and enjoy his family. He was brought here for Defense and the expiring contract. If NY gives him anything over 3 million I would be shocked. If he took it, I would be more shocked, but who knows. When you earn about $70,000 a night for the last five years and live conservative as Hughes has during 12 years in the league, he his going to play where he finds the best match, not just money at this point. It's love of the game here, not leading Cleveland or L.A. to the finals. Do you think Shaq is playing for money? You say he is trying his best? You have never watched Hughes or looked at his states over the past 11 years?
    Go look at his stats, he is playing the same for nearly 12 years in the league. This year is no different than others. Your trying to pin money on him, it won't stick, the numbers are the same. At this point, unless a player is broke (which happens to some) these guys play for the love of the game.
    With the average length of a NBA career about 3.5 years, Hughes has done very well financially. He will play to contribute, win, and have fun.
    He asked to contribute at Chicago while he was DNP for half a season. But his stats there, when playing, are close as they are all the time during his whole career, what figure is down?
    If you give him 30 plus minutes per game, he will give you the same numbers. If you take him in and out, it kills his game and shot. D'Antonio puts him in, they Knicks go up 14, he pulls him, it gets close again, Larry goes back in, then you blame him for not being perfect. Out of bounds, look at the turnover rates, isn't he one of the lowest. Doesn't he get the most steals, where is the credit there. He still has speed to cover the passing lanes in year 12. Watch how he puts on all his sweats when D' Antonio pulls him out, then puts a a couple of towels over his legs. Many players like Hughes, cannot go in and out of a game and get their shot. Nor do they get it in practice. Cleveland, not too many other players even touch the ball. Hughes has always said he needs 30 plus minutes a couple times a week to get his shot on. I think NY is getting their money's worth and getting some good leadership, defense, assist.
    At this point, he is behind the wheel on his career. Don't think someone is going to pick him up and give much for 50 games. If they do and he learns the offense and the team, your down to 30 games. Then, he is on his own come April May June. 12 years, no matter what age is a lot of miles on those legs in the NBA, regardless of age. Besides maybe Nash, tell me how many starting guards playing over 30 minutes are in the NBA after a decade?
    You only need 1 hand, and you will never see Duhon, Douglas, Robinson and I doubt Paul will make it in this group.

Default Hughes not in same league with Paul

Duhon is the other story and I never said that I prefer Duhon at the highest minute, Paul for him ( 6 mln contract )... when, who, why, how ? You will bet that Larry is not coming back to NY, off course - playing at highest level will give him more opportunities to leave the team. My point is not trading Hughes or anybody for Paul ( quite better in every stats than Larry ? ) , just comparing what we get for THIS price for reflection. Larry at the top 10 steals with 1.7 per game - John Salmons also and he is not 13 mln player. I agreed with You, Hughes is not going to beg for stay with us, it doesn't mean that nyk should propose him more money to stay. Who will give him good ( comparable to present ) contract if he is not try his best, he's already doing that with advantage to the team to stay valuable.
    Hughes has 10,000 points and a dozen years on his body (plus 10,000 points and 100 million), any comparison is futile. The Knicks need a point guard, Duhon sucks, has never averaged in double figures is his long dull 5 year career. We played him 20 games to come out of a slump to get up to an 8 ppg average. Probably played right out of the playoffs. D'Antonio is getting the job done, got to give him credit. Hughes will be in the league a few more years if he really loves the game, if not, making 12 years in the NBA is feat that few ever make. Keep Lee, at 6 foot 7 (trust me), he is a great forward. Gallo is young, keep him, hope he develope, unless a sweet trade comes. He is streaky also. Your not getting Lebron, so lets clear that. We need a point guard, a center and two top tier players to compete, just compete in the east next year.

Originally Posted by BlackH20
    No one will give him a comparable contract at age 31? 60 plus million for 5 years?
    sorry for that, I wasn't clear at this point, not comparable to whole contract, only to last season earnings and his tenure

Don't try to prove me that he's so magnificent, I saw his stats - yea they're admirable when he was avg 22 ppg and 2.9 spg and 5.9 apg but we're not about past so look at the present game logs ( 15 games below 10 points for example ), maybe I should say he is just doing his best not trying, but the thread is about keeping him and the bottom line is: not to keep larry. As I remember and as I said, nyk wanted MOBLEY , but his retirement forced them to play more Larry, tell me if I am wrong ? The question in this thread is also quite ridiculous propably nobody thinks about longer future with Larry, his contract expire, his stats are regular for 12 years - ok after this season Knicks goal is huge salary cap in 2010 so we'll let him play and then let him go away. So for him it was also a chance, imagine: Cuttino wasn't retire, could he play his 30 minute, I don't think so. In this case how he could have fun and keep stats on HIS high level ? Nevertheless I'm not interesting on his retirement or playing for fun not for money in the future, but I don't understand what's wrong in my opinion that he keep doing best for opportunity to stay hot for another team? ( especially as posted below when he's a bum hah and by his best I mean avg 20 pts ) Is it mutually exclusive with his 12 years stats and his love to the game as You describe his attitude
    Last edited by milchshake; Dec 18, 2009 at 02:50.

Hughes has 10,000 points and a dozen years on his body (plus 10,000 points and 100 million), any comparison is futile. The Knicks need a point guard, Duhon sucks, has never averaged in double figures is his long dull 5 year career. We played him 20 games to come out of a slump to get up to an 8 ppg average. Probably played right out of the playoffs. D'Antonio is getting the job done, got to give him credit. Hughes will be in the league a few more years if he really loves the game, if not, making 12 years in the NBA is feat that few ever make. Keep Lee, at 6 foot 7 (trust me), he is a great forward. Gallo is young, keep him, hope he develope, unless a sweet trade comes. He is streaky also. Your not getting Lebron, so lets clear that. We need a point guard, a center and two top tier players to compete, just compete in the east next year.
    And again Duhon, on this forum discussion about him is everybody thinks he's a very weak PG, I do also, his stats from game are funny sometimes - like 1-15 FG or sth like that, that is what we can see in most every game. Only few were good, with NOH for example, but he's also at the 10th place with 6.7 assist per game, nevermind, as You said NYK need a real PG, center - we played without him for years... and two top tier - yes we're quite short team, it's what you can see in rebounds - the worst in the league when I'm looking last time, and what we got than from David double-double's ? Gallo stays, Lee is valuable but his future with Knicks is not so sure, he can get many opportunities.

We got LBJ maniacs but IMO with or without him KNICKS won't be able to compete at the highest PO level if they don't get sensible support. Summer free agents bonanza will give all the answers.
    Last edited by milchshake; Dec 18, 2009 at 02:18.

KnicksonLIN.com

Larry Hughes is a bum. It is no coincidence that the Chicago Bulls traded him for Jerome James.

Nyk Logo Hughes, one of the most charitable players in the league

Originally Posted by abcd
    Larry Hughes is a bum. It is no coincidence that the Chicago Bulls traded him for Jerome James.
    Larry Hughes was acquired for his contract expiration at the end of this year, in which he makes 17 million and defensive skills. Highest paid Bull, Highest paid Knick. Oh ya, he took his SAT's, unlike Derrick "give up 30 plus wins at Memphis Rose. If a "bum" earns $207,000 a night, from his talent and work ethic, let me please be a bum. I never made past Division One and I am proud of riding the bench on that. Only about 400 men make the NBA in a year. The average career is under 4 years. Nearly 30% are rookies. He knows the league and the game and has assisted about every Knicks win this year. Clock management, defense, ball handling, defense, defense, steals after 12 years in the league are still outstanding.
    More years in the league is purely his choice. Hughes is one smart player with a heart of gold toward kids. How many years have you played in the league? Your game one of the top 400 on the rock son?

Larry Hughes assisted his mother, while she worked two jobs take care of his brother most of his grade and high school years. Think of him as a nurse to his younger brother battling for his life.
    His only brother needed a new heart. A match finally came and Larry did not want to leave St. Louis to be with his brother and assist his mother. He played for St. Louis University, the transplant was completed. With tremendous medical bills, Larry became the 6th pick in the NBA at the age of 18 and took care of the family. His mother truly wanted him to get his degree.
    During the Eastern finals a few years ago, Larry's only brother passed due to complications. Lebron James and Larry playing a point guard at 6 foot 5, got the Cavs through the East, and Chauncy Billips. They lost four straight against San Antonio. The Cavs have never been back. Hughes can play one hell of a point guard. Larry was given the Austin Carr award in Cleveland, for the player with the best achievement on and off the court including the community. He has frequent transplant awareness fund raisers and is known in the cities he has played to tell the gas stations to give free gas for the full day to help people out. No, Larry Hughes is no bum my friend, maybe not a superstar scorer in your eyes, but a defensive player that coaches and those with true judges of talent have kept him in the NBA for a dozen years at the age of 30. Watch who covers D-Wade, Kobie, LeBron, CP3 and watch their game be down. Ever in trouble on or off the court, never. How was he notified of the trade to New York? A text message. Class move of the Bulls that maybe someone can see how Michael and Scottie have distanced themselves from. Not traded for Jerome James, but Walsh wanted to have someone show defense to some young players and free up money for 2010. Larry Hughes is a role model for my children, he is not a superstar, they know that life is more than just a game, and here is someone that has challenged adversity numerous times in his life and continues to give back to any community he is involved or living in.
    Even recent adversities including dealing with his wife having a brain aneurysm in hear late twenties with three young children. He is a good man, with a long career, even leading the league in steals one year and has been very charitable to helping people realize what can be done to help transplant patients and their families. To say what you keystroke so quickly is leaves much to be desired.
    St. Louis has also given you David Lee, another great role model who's family is one who is very charitable to St. Louis. Pure work ethic got Lee at 6 foot 7 where he is. Also, Clyde Frasier, from just across the river at Southern Illinois University has gave some good contributions to the Knicks as another St. Louis player, Senator Bill Bradley.

If you can get all that done by age 30 and sink 10,000 points, and be a gentleman, maybe you can be a "bum", for some reason, I doubt it?

yup, bum is too pejorative for you so maybe well-traveled Larry

Default No, still a little as Clyde would say "deprecatory"

yup, bum is too pejorative for you so maybe well-traveled Larry
    With over a 100 players playing on more than 7 teams, well traveled for 12 years in the NBA with 6 is not much these days, especially when he asked to be traded by Cleveland and Chicago. He would be a great guard of the bench and just may be for the Knicks, defense never shows up much in stats, and Hughes takes the toughest assignments on the Knicks. Playing the game, Division one for DePaul and maybe being just a fan in your case may diverge viewpoints on our opinion, to me, being able to play with the other 359 best players in the world is an accomplishment for 12 seasons.
    The list is small my friend of those who have accomplished this. Wherever you may live, see if you can come up with 5 from your state in it's history?

Wherever you may live, see if you can come up with 5 from your state in it's history?
    just lay low I feel like I'm saying ( as a matter fact I have never said that hughes sucks only that he's not worth his price and he got his second youth ? don't know how to say it I hope it's understandable ) that one of the greatest in nba SUCKS. 6 teams in 12 years but some twice.... and I got you there, he changed team 10 times in his carrier is this much or not I'm not going to search for this 5 players, I can't because I'm European ! nevertheless what does it change ? some players have travel so many places or rather so many times and some fan like larry so much, what if I like marbury... he sells cheap shoes, got a charity awards, donate katrina victims, but i never said that he is worth over 20 mln even with his stats or even 10 with his attitude... so let's make a statement: saving larry for next year will be sensible only as a bench not such expensive player and no more traveling for him hah.
    Last edited by milchshake; Dec 21, 2009 at 12:43.