Why Does Our Best Shooter Take the Fewest Shots?

mafra

Legend
Gallo drills 2 of his 1st 3 shots for 5 quick points in the first minute of action tonight in LA; then he gets 1 more shot (or so) for the rest of the first half?

Duhon-Chandler-Hughes.... These guys don;t even look to pass to the kid?

It's almost like our vets would rather lose trying to pad their stats than win by having this kid go 8-16 from 3-point range?

I don't think they're freezing the kid out but I can't stand watching Wilson chuck up airballs; Hughes & Harrington clank 3s; and Duhon just do nothing but turn the ball over and brick 30-foot jumpers.

GALLO CAN SHOOT guys.... He should be GIVEN 15-20 shots a night. Hard to accomplish that when we have terrible shooters taking every shot, acting like they're all Del Curry.

I wouldn't mind so much if they occasionally drove for a layup.

Then, to make it worse..... after avoiding passing to Gallo for 18 minutes, Duhon finally gets him the ball and he misses it. Surprse. He went cold.

Gallo might have had 40 points if we fed him tonight. Instead, he'll be lucky to get 10 shots.

Good news: Hughes-Chandler-Harrington-Duhon will get 50 attempts!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
It's almost like our vets would rather lose trying to pad their stats than win by having this kid go 8-16 from 3-point range?

Bingo!

He's surrounded by selfish one-on-one players. Also, he still has some learning to do. Using screens and moving without the ball. And he needs to be more vocal and demand the ball.

TunerAddict

Starter
Gallo drills 2 of his 1st 3 shots for 5 quick points in the first minute of action tonight in LA; then he gets 1 more shot (or so) for the rest of the first half?

I don't think they're freezing the kid out but I can't stand watching Wilson chuck up airballs; Hughes & Harrington clank 3s; and Duhon just do nothing but turn the ball over and brick 30-foot jumpers.

GALLO CAN SHOOT guys.... He should be GIVEN 15-20 shots a night. Hard to accomplish that when we have terrible shooters taking every shot, acting like they're all Del Curry.

Then, to make it worse..... after avoiding passing to Gallo for 18 minutes, Duhon finally gets him the ball and he misses it. Surprse. He went cold.

Gallo might have had 40 points if we fed him tonight. Instead, he'll be lucky to get 10 shots.

Well, Gallo is 2/7 on the first half. Not great.

He hit the first two and was frozen out, that is true. He was hot out of the gates and they stopped giving him the ball. So he subs out, comes back in and gets some more shots, but he is cold by now.

I'm actually surprised by how many shots he got. Its usually far into the 4th before he gets a 7th shot...

ANU

Starter
even mike breen is talking about it.all this does is breed bad habits of bad shots and chucking.

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
It's really such a shame... Duhon had a possesion where he pulled up about 10 FT from the 3 point line with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and Bricked it. Never looked to pass, Never tried to call a play, set something up... Just straight dribbled up the court, Chucked a three, and proceeded to hit 100% Iron. I was dumbfounded. Listen, I get SSOL, I get its an up-tempo Offense but come on... If your gonna settle for a shot, SETTLE FOR A GOOD ONE! NOT ONE FROM THE ****ING PARKING LOT! This is our point guard making these decisions? Its really disgusting....

Gallo needs to be vocal, Demand the ball because the reality of it all is, Next year when we get players who actually care about winning, His role is going to increase exponentially (For Obvious Reasons)...

Red

TYPE-A
It's really such a shame... Duhon had a possesion where he pulled up about 10 FT from the 3 point line with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and Bricked it. Never looked to pass, Never tried to call a play, set something up... Just straight dribbled up the court, Chucked a three, and proceeded to hit 100% Iron. I was dumbfounded. Listen, I get SSOL, I get its an up-tempo Offense but come on... If your gonna settle for a shot, SETTLE FOR A GOOD ONE! NOT ONE FROM THE ****ING PARKING LOT! This is our point guard making these decisions? Its really disgusting....

Gallo needs to be vocal, Demand the ball because the reality of it all is, Next year when we get players who actually care about winning, His role is going to increase exponentially (For Obvious Reasons)...

Blame Mike D'Antoni! Besides being undisciplined, his system isn't designed to get "go to- good players" the ball... it's every man for himself out there.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
These are possible reasons why Gallo is not shooting more. Gallo can't create his own shot or he may not have the fitness to get up more shots. Just a thought...

paris401

Starter
These are possible reasons why Gallo is not shooting more. Gallo can't create his own shot or he may not have the fitness to get up more shots. Just a thought...

i agree.. i don't think he can create his own shot... and if he's waiting for a teammate to set a screen/pick... he is in for a long wait...

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo's Shooting

Gallo is not good at creating his own shot. Hopefully he will improve as he gets stronger and adjusts to the speed of the NBA. Most of his current shots are taken within a second or two of receiving the ball and without any dribbling. In last night's game against the Lakers, he did a nice up-fake against Gasol and went around him only to miss a relatively easy shot.

There is very little if any "picking" to open Gallo up for a shot. The only apparent plays we have are screen and rolls to Lee. Otherwise it is everyone for himself.

Bill Bradley couild not create his own shot, but he kept moving and there were designed picks for him.

mafra

Legend
Blame Mike D'Antoni! Besides being undisciplined, his system isn't designed to get "go to- good players" the ball... it's every man for himself out there.

You have to blame the coach. Clearly he can call a timeout and DEMAND that the offense runs through the FUTURE. He could call out a play DEMANDING that it be run.

I understand if a Hughes of Harrington looks for their shot- they are streaky but they're also proven scorers in this league.

I cannot stand watching Chandler, Duhon or N8 take a 22-footer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Simply put, these cats aren't good shooters. SURE, if they get hot they can knock down a 3. BUT, this should come only after they take it to the rim a few times and get it going.

It's better for the future that we develop the kids. I don't care it Gallo cannot do this, or that.... force him too. Run him off screens. Pick and roll with him. I just don't see a concerted effort by coach (or from the vets) to make him the focal point.

Sure he might deserve some blame. I think he's deferring to the vets b/c he doesn't want to step on toes. He's not in perfect shape, and he does disappear and rely on the perimeter stuff too much. But the dude leads the NBA in 3-pointers made!

SO, in a game against a team like the Lakers, when he drills 2 quick shots.... There's no excuse to freeze him out. To watch Duhon drive and get blocked, then clank a shot, and so on...

gilch

Rookie
another guy who comes to mind is Reggie Miller .... couldnt create his own shot... but getting into the right spots and moving without the ball, there may have been no one better....
I think Galo has shown he is a very good passer ....
therefore they should run the two man game with him and lee instead of duhon and lee. ..... at least this way, the initiator is a threat to score, unlike Duhon

mafra

Legend
Bottom line last night was this:

Chandler, N8, Duhon, Hughes & Harrington were 17-56. It's like this every night. I bet of those 56 shots, 2 were taken within 10-feet of the basket.

NO WAY Chandler should take as many 3s as Gallo.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. I think it's pretty clear.

Al Harrington can't really hit 3's.
Wilson Chandler can't really hit 3's.

Stop taking ****ing 3's. Is it really that hard?

I mean Wilson Chandler is shooting 21.7% from behind the arc. You don't have to be a genius to realize how bad that is...Harrington is shooting 28.2% from behind the arc...come on, guys.

Paul1355

All Star
I think I know why!

I completely agree.

And I have been saying since his first break out game that Mike D HAS to have set plays for Gallinari to get open because he has a hard time doing it on his own. Gallinari needs his man screened for open three point shots, I feel like this would be obvious for a pure three point shooter on a a professional team but for some reason they only have maybe one play for him.

Mike D said he wants to revolve the offense around Curry. WELL Gallo should be 2nd in command for revolving an offense around, if you'll pick one guy to take big shots. Whenever Curry gets double teamed we should teach our guys to try and get Gallo open no matter what.

The Answer: Most of the Veterans are playing for themselves because of the one year deals.

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
Once Gallo starts hitting shots, teams tighten up the defense and don't give him much space. He doesn't have the skills to beat his man consistently when they do that. So they don't give him the respect. They'd rather just prevent him from getting the ball or shooting when he does get it. Unless he develops the skills, moves, and quickness to beat his man consistently, he's going to have to turn into a Reggie Miller type player and stay in constant motion to get shots off screens.

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
I personally don't mind Wilson Chandler taking those shots or any bad shots. I feel like he's trying to find his game out there and part of that process is taking bad shots and learning what works which is all part of the development process. However, I do mind that Al Harrington is taking so many 3s. His role should be to facilitate the development of the young guys. I just don't understand what D'Antoni and the Knicks organization is trying to do. They say that this season is all about the development of the young core which is why they turned down AI but they seem to always close games with the veterans.

Paul1355

All Star
I personally don't mind Wilson Chandler taking those shots or any bad shots. I feel like he's trying to find his game out there and part of that process is taking bad shots and learning what works which is all part of the development process. However, I do mind that Al Harrington is taking so many 3s. His role should be to facilitate the development of the young guys. I just don't understand what D'Antoni and the Knicks organization is trying to do. They say that this season is all about the development of the young core which is why they turned down AI but they seem to always close games with the veterans.
not getting AI was because of the Ego factor, the same applied to Stephon Marbury.

I'm surprised that Chandler jacking up shots for IDK how long has not bothered you? I have seen most Knick games the past few seasons and can hoenstly say that Chandler is not a good three point shooter.

His offensive game is mid range shots and driving to the basket.

He will develop when he realizes what he's good at, which is not jacking up three's.

mafra

Legend
Once Gallo starts hitting shots, teams tighten up the defense and don't give him much space. He doesn't have the skills to beat his man consistently when they do that. So they don't give him the respect. They'd rather just prevent him from getting the ball or shooting when he does get it. Unless he develops the skills, moves, and quickness to beat his man consistently, he's going to have to turn into a Reggie Miller type player and stay in constant motion to get shots off screens.

The dude is 6"10' and can hit a shot with a man in his face. SO, I don't really buy this argument.

HECK, just think about the stretches we go in a game when he doesn't even touch the ball (or as we refer to it as the 'great Gallo disappearing act').

If GALLO hits a shot, and then another, NOBODY should take a shot until he touches it first.

If they deny him, then have him cut backdoor or work around a pick.

I believe it has more to do with lack of effort to get him the rock than in his ability to make something happen.

The dude can dribble, he has smarts, but it's hard to score when you don;t touch the ball.