Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yankees Make Worst Trade Ever

So do we get Damon or Matsui? Or both?

I'm just waiting for the Mets to get Bengie Molina and Jason Bay, i want a Subway Series dammit

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Granderson is a heck of a ball player...hitting in this lineup in Yankee stadium, he has potential to put up MONSTER numbers. Plus he's a great fielder. We know what we get with Granderson, Austin Jackson is a lottery ticket...could be great, could be nothing.

By the end of the year, I guarantee we will all be praising Granderson's name, teams will have to pitch to him...

My question is, does he hit #2? What if they bring back Damon? If they do I see it like this:

1 - Derek Jeter, SS
    2 - Curtis Granderson, CF
    3 - Mark Teixeira, 1B
    4 - Alex Rodriguez, 3B
    5- Jorge Posada, C
    6 - Johnny Damon, DH
    7 - Robinson Cano, 2B
    8 - Nick Swisher, RF
    9 - Melky Cabrera, LF

I don't like moving Damon down that far, but I don't know how else we would get it done. Someone else suggested:

1- Jeter
    2 - Damon
    3 - Teix
    4- A-Rod
    5/6- Posada/Granderson (depending on who is hotter at the time)

Personally I'd like Granderson's speed on the bases early in the lineup...
    If Damon comes back then he is batting 2nd and Granderson will probably bat 6th or 7th.
    If Damon is not on the team next year then Granderson should bat 2nd.

No reason to sign Damon now that we got our center fielder in Granderson. I think we gave up way too much on this deal but he is a 5-tool player and the potential to do amazing things for years to come. Can't wait to Repeat next season!

The best A jack could be was a Granderson 2.0 so we basically got A jack 4 years from now.

I love the move. We gett a young CF that can hit some home runs. I am tired of the Cabrera - Gardner tandem.

Also happy IPK is gone. That guy is a scumbag.

BUMP
    Another bad move by the Yankees

Time to seriously fire the Brian Cashman. I've never seen a worse GM

He basically got Wynn for 2 mill. Damon would have cost almost 4 times that. Yeah fire Cashman for being a great businessman.

I am loving it, we basically told Boras to go have intercourse.

cashman also said we had to get "younger" I'm still trying to figure out how trading Melky for Vazquez makes us younger?

Originally Posted by th3realicon
    He basically got Wynn for 2 mill. Damon would have cost almost 4 times that. Yeah fire Cashman for being a great businessman.

I am loving it, we basically told Boras to go have intercourse.
    lmao.

I like the wynn acquisition because we get more defense in the outfield. We got a better overall team NOW than we had last year (believe it or not.)

Originally Posted by jpz17
    BUMP
    Another bad move by the Yankees

Time to seriously fire the Brian Cashman. I've never seen a worse GM
    Dude, they won the world series b/c Brian Cashman got Teix, Burnett, and Sabathia as well as bringing back Pettitte. Brian Cashman made the move to get a guy like Jerry Hairston Jr. who was serviceable and managed to swing Melky Cabrera for a guy that got Cy Young votes last year.

He's doing a fine job. Can't fire the GM the year after they win it all.

Name me a team throughout baseball history who after winning a championship brought back every single player that was on their World Series roster?

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Dude, they won the world series b/c Brian Cashman got Teix, Burnett, and Sabathia as well as bringing back Pettitte. Brian Cashman made the move to get a guy like Jerry Hairston Jr. who was serviceable and managed to swing Melky Cabrera for a guy that got Cy Young votes last year.

He's doing a fine job. Can't fire the GM the year after they win it all.
    Melky is a great player. I'd rather have Melky than Javy. Vaz is such a joke it isn't funny

Lets be honest here, Cashman doesnt have nearly as hard a job as other GM's around the league... Many times he just goes and gets the best available player on the FA market, And of course, it makes us instantly better... When you have an unlimited budget like the yanks do, your job is easy... Its these trades I wonder, In fact, Can anyone name one trade that benefited the yankees? Besides the Arod deal?

Originally Posted by jpz17
    Melky is a great player. I'd rather have Melky than Javy. Vaz is such a joke it isn't funny
    I'd rather have the guy who came in 4th for the NL Cy Young than another 4th OF'er.

Originally Posted by TheBig****
    I'd rather have the guy who came in 4th for the NL Cy Young than another 4th OF'er.
    Ok, so you would take a guy who has in his career 3 more wins than losses 142-139, and ERA over 4? As compared to a proven athlete who can handle the New York City pressure, (How many clutch hits did he have for us last year?) a switch hitter with an absolute rocket for an arm, Who isnt even in the prime years of his career? Its not easy to play for the yankees, much less start in the most hallowed position- Center field.... Plus, Look at the division Vazquez pitched in! The Nats, The Mets, And the entire National League? Give me a break.... A bad move is a bad move.... They didnt wanna trade melky for Johan, but they'll trade him for fu.ckin Javier Vazquez?!?! Joke

Originally Posted by Giants89FLY
    Ok, so you would take a guy who has in his career 3 more wins than losses 142-139, and ERA over 4? As compared to a proven athlete who can handle the New York City pressure, (How many clutch hits did he have for us last year?) a switch hitter with an absolute rocket for an arm, Who isnt even in the prime years of his career? Its not easy to play for the yankees, much less start in the most hallowed position- Center field.... Plus, Look at the division Vazquez pitched in! The Nats, The Mets, And the entire National League? Give me a break.... A bad move is a bad move.... They didnt wanna trade melky for Johan, but they'll trade him for fu.ckin Javier Vazquez?!?! Joke
    Incorrect.

They didn't want to trade Hughes AND Joba/Kennedy AND Melky for Johan...

Melky is a marginal player, he only gets noticed because his in NY. He has never hit above .280, and the whole "clutch" thing is way overstated. There's no such thing as "clutch" hitting.

Various baseball analysts, including [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], and the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] editors, have found so-called "clutch hitting" ability to be a myth. This is not to say that clutch hits, like those listed above, do not exist, but rather that some kind of innate ability for a player to perform above his true talent level in high-pressure situations is nothing but an illusion. In his 1984 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], James framed the problem with clutch hitting this way: "How is it that a player who possesses the reflexes and the batting stroke and the knowledge and the experience to be a .260 hitter in other circumstances magically becomes a .300 hitter when the game is on the line? How does that happen? What is the process? What are the effects? Until we can answer those questions, I see little point in talking about clutch ability."

Most studies on the matter involved comparing performance in the "clutch" category of statistics (production with runners in scoring position, performance late in close games, etc.) between seasons; if clutch hitting were an actual skill, it would follow that the same players would do well in the clutch statistics year in and year out (the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] between players' performances over multiple seasons would be high). Cramer's study was the first of its kind, and it found that clutch hitting numbers between seasons for the same player varied wildly; in fact, the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] was the kind one would expect if the numbers had been selected [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Since Cramer published his results, many others have tried to find some evidence that clutch hitting is a skill, but almost every study has confirmed Cramer's initial findings: that "clutch hitting," in terms of certain players being able to "rise to the occasion" under pressure, is an illusion.
    "Clutch"-ness does not follow a player from year to year.

Power does.
    Batting average does.
    OBP does.
    Strikeout Rate does.
    "Clutch", no matter how you define it, does not.

Most studies find clutch hitting is totally random. A-Rod was known for being "not clutch", then he hits big time home runs last season and this season. David Ortiz was known for being "amazingly clutch", but didn't come through with a truly big hit this past season.

Clutch hitting is a myth, so pointing to Melky's "clutch hits" is pointing to a total fallacy.

Melky has never hit over .280, his arm is good but his fielding and range isn't all that great. He's a fine player, but he's very very replaceable, and with Granderson patrolling center, Melky was expendable.