The next generation of Knick fans (interesting observation)

Starks

Starter
I thought about this over the weekend during ?Kids day at the Garden??especially when the young Knick fans started chanting ?We Want Nate?. Here is just a pretty revealing observation about how futile this decade has been for us. Do you realize that there are kids that are 9 yrs old (almost 10) that have never been alive to see the Knicks over .500 Do you realize they never saw warriors like Oakley, Starks, Ewing, Mason play? Do you realize they never witnessed a well coached and respected NY Team that wasn?t the butt of every joke? Do you realize they were there to experience the energy and thrill of winning a playoff game? Do you realize that names like Frazier, Reed, King, and Monroe do not mean anything to these kids?

This doesn?t lay good ground for the future. Not at all in the least bit.

Now dig this?
To get an idea on royally screwed the current Knicks management is, historically the in the Knicks 64 seasons years of existence, 28 seasons have been below .500. Over a quarter of those loosing years have been in this decade (29% to be exact) The last time the Knicks have had 9 consecutive yrs of losing seasons was during 1957-58. To get an idea how long ago that was, during that time Fidel Castro hadn?t even taken over yet.

Keep this is mind when you see outlandish remarks on the boards from Knick fans who seem to not have a clue.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Funny because i was thinking the exact same thing this weekend when listen to the chant. I was thinking more along the lines on whether there are actual hardcore Knick fans from the young generation since they did not grow up during the "almost glory days".

well dude its all about who we get next year
you think cavs fans who are ten years old recognize who mark price and brad dougherty are.
bulls fans that age barely recognize michael jordan and pippen in the same light as they do derrick rose and noah.
you think that nuggets fans that age actually recall the days of mutumbo and lafonso ellis, or alex english.
you think the suns fans around ten yrs of age recognize how nasty kevin johnson was.
thats just the league and thats just how it is, once we begin winning and kids mature they will begin to look further back into the history of the game and respect the players we saw, its just they are youngsters.
I remember when i was 12, yea the knicks were good, but I didnt notice all the bad hoopla about starks and fighting and his poor attitude and how his temper would some times abandon his team mates, all i knew is that I went crazy every time he hit a 3.

Paul1355

All Star
I thought about this over the weekend during ?Kids day at the Garden??especially when the young Knick fans started chanting ?We Want Nate?. Here is just a pretty revealing observation about how futile this decade has been for us. Do you realize that there are kids that are 9 yrs old (almost 10) that have never been alive to see the Knicks over .500 Do you realize they never saw warriors like Oakley, Starks, Ewing, Mason play? Do you realize they never witnessed a well coached and respected NY Team that wasn?t the butt of every joke? Do you realize they were there to experience the energy and thrill of winning a playoff game? Do you realize that names like Frazier, Reed, King, and Monroe do not mean anything to these kids?

This doesn?t lay good ground for the future. Not at all in the least bit.

Now dig this?
To get an idea on royally screwed the current Knicks management is, historically the in the Knicks 64 seasons years of existence, 28 seasons have been below .500. Over a quarter of those loosing years have been in this decade (29% to be exact) The last time the Knicks have had 9 consecutive yrs of losing seasons was during 1957-58. To get an idea how long ago that was, during that time Fidel Castro hadn?t even taken over yet.

Keep this is mind when you see outlandish remarks on the boards from Knick fans who seem to not have a clue.
Thats why 2010 is the most anticipated free agency since Ewing and Houston were on the team.

We need stars and guys to take over....not these inconsistent bums.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Not necessarily. There's always YouTube. And trust me they'll recognize what it meant to be a Kniks fan when you hear the roar that once was Madison Square Garden.

If you ask me Nate is kinda like the Starks of our generation to theirs. Let's not forget how the old heads always hated Starks for his antics....

Just saying.

We just never got to witness Nate win here like Starks did.

tylerdurdin

Rookie
This is so true. I watch these guys sometimes and cant believe that the guys playing ball are the Knicks. I grew up on a team that had power and talent. It is not even fair to compare the knicks of old to these bums. BUT I still love the knicks and we WILL straighten this out.

okay first of all nate is nothing like starks, starks was a better defender, a better team player, a better passer, a better locker room presence, hes preparation and work ethic was second to none, he always guarded the other teams best swing man, he put up excellent numbers in an offense that was built around ewing taking 20-25 shots a game. and he was an all star, was on his way to an mvp finals until game 7, and pat riley a coach who has the tolerance of hitler loved the guy. Nate is no where near and probably never will be on the same stratosphere as john lavelle starks. If starks playing in the league today with his intensity and defense prowess he would be avg 21 ppg for the knicks 5 reb and 5 assists along with 2 stls a game. and I put that on my life that he would help this team get into the playoffs we are 0-15 when nate plays significant minutes.

that says it all.

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
The fact of the matter is being a fan through thick and thin... I commend every single one of you guys and girls who are member's on this forum... Because when the knicks do start winning again watch and see how many "NEW" "Fans" will join the forum claiming they were knicks fans all of their life's. I noticed that alot with NBA fans... People LOVE to hop on bandwagons all the time.... Guess what, I dig what the Knicks do... I mean dont get me wrong, I'm not happy the knicks are in toilet and have been in the toilet for nearly a decade.. But Ive been spolied, I'm a yankees fan 27 titles, NY Giants 07 World Champs.. Rangers fan,... (Mehh they SHOULD be better)... Look I know In my heart of hearts The Knicks will turn this thing around.... And if they dont I'll ALWAYS be a fan... You got to Earn your stripes as a fan.. And this generation of knick fans will definitely be tested. But in the end It will make everything worth while....

Great thread and Responses by the way...

Keep the faith!

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Kids only want to see Nate because he's 5'8 and he dunked on Howard back on All Star Saturday.

Most of those kids are only casual NBA fans, not statistic whores like most of us here. Thing is, you don't have to be a stat whore to realize Nate is not really wanted here by the organization.

I don't think it will be easy to trade Nate. We need to find a suitor, and even then, Nate has a trade veto, doesn't he?

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Kids only want to see Nate because he's 5'8 and he dunked on Howard back on All Star Saturday.

Most of those kids are only casual NBA fans, not statistic whores like most of us here. Thing is, you don't have to be a stat whore to realize Nate is not really wanted here by the organization.

I don't think it will be easy to trade Nate. We need to find a suitor, and even then, Nate has a trade veto, doesn't he?

the bulls have looked terrible of late, i mean just abominable on offense, they just got pounded by atlanta. who knows maybe they think nate will help boost their offense? i doubt it, but gotta hope.

Scribbles

Rotation player
I'm not comparing Nate's game to Starks whatsoever. I'm talking moreso about his impact with the fans and within the team.

The fact of the matter is that they have similar circumstances besides the fact that Starks was winning and Nate's squad isn't. If the Starks squad was losing he woulda been given the Nate Gate treatment in my opinion.

To say that Riley loved Starks... Ha! He was always fed up with him from what I can recall.