Knicks Sign Jonathan Bender

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Bender had chronic knee pain which caused him to retire I believe. I don't know. It appears that Bender has a relationship with Walsh. Let's not even talk about Darko. Darko isn't getting playing time because Darko's a ****ing bum. No one plays Darko. He rides the bench everywhere he goes.

Playing Bender is a gamble, but he is a 7 footer with a non-guaranteed contract. Walsh is sticking to his frugal plan and the Bender gamble is low risk.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, what's the big deal. Maybe the guy has a comeback in him. Maybe the time off helped his legs. Maybe he becomes a nice backup center for us next year.

OR, maybe they think he has game left, and are preparing for the void WALSH plans on making when he swings some deals.

Don't know much about his defense? Hope he plays some interior defense.

I have to feel like we have offers for Jeffries. Plan to slide Curry in to fill some of those lost minutes, have JB for insurance?

OR, this move is purely to see if he can help by next season?

AGAIN.... it can't hurt.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Yup, he and Al Harrington were drafted together. This is just a formality, kinda like us letting Alan Houston tryout for us.

At his best he was only a 7 pt 5 reb and 1 blk per game player and that was five years ago!

Not even. Dude never averaged more than 3 rebounds. I believe Darko is a better defender.

Whatever Donnie saw in workouts is useless because until he gets on the floor in a real game situation there is no telling how he will contribute. Based on Dantoni's rotation he wouldn't play anyway. If he did, it would be further burrying Hill deeper on the bench which is BS.

Another forward for a team full of them.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Yup, he and Al Harrington were drafted together. This is just a formality, kinda like us letting Alan Houston tryout for us.

At his best he was only a 7 pt 5 reb and 1 blk per game player and that was five years ago!

Al Harrington drafted in 1998, Bender was the 5th overall pick in 1999 by Raptors and draft rights traded to Pacers for Antonio Davis on draft night. It just doesn't make any sense what Walsh is doing in signing Bender who played an average of 34 games in 7 NBA seasons (1999-2006). Why don't we sent Hill to the D-League because its obvious he needs playing time in order to get better. Marcus Landry should be sent to the D-League as well, I have never seen a worst player that him ever!

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Not even. Dude never averaged more than 3 rebounds. I believe Darko is a better defender.

Whatever Donnie saw in workouts is useless because until he gets on the floor in a real game situation there is no telling how he will contribute. Based on Dantoni's rotation he wouldn't play anyway. If he did, it would be further burrying Hill deeper on the bench which is BS.

Another forward for a team full of them.

not just full of forwards, BUST forwards. hopfully hill isnt learning from milicic, curry or bender, or he'll be the next bigmen bust that we got.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
I just don't see the logic in this, are we trading Harrington or something? It just doesn't make any sense as d'antoni plays 7 players only. I'm still stunned and confused, Walsh what the hell are you doing?:eek:hboy: I swear if Bender plays in front of Hill I'm gonna change the channel.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Nothing's been disclosed what so ever. Wait it out. Considering Donnie's constantly frugal approach to contracts, there's gotta be a cash related reason.

I'm assuming that it's for a trade. Working the numbers etc. When we know how much he's signing for, I'll give a rep point to anyone who can crunch the numbers and find the correct matching team that will take on Curry or Jefferies.

My guess is Hughes & Curry for T Mac because the trade money works out to be $400,000 in Houston's favor plus a big body in Ming's absence with Hughes' big contract off the books next year.

If it's a 10 day contract (Bender's), that means a trade for Lee or N8 or both is imminent as they are available for trade no sooner than the 22nd. Not the 25th apparently.

The only thing I can't find out about is if a 10 day contract can be traded. I seriously doubt it. But no doubt Bender'll take whatever he can get cash wise after a what? 2 year hiatus?

Kiyaman

Legend
He's probably just going to be used as a practice body, anything more is a definate plus!

100% right answer...

the end of last season Walsh signed 3 seven footers to 10 day contract and traded for Wilcox, with none being broken into a small rotation.
This season we have Darko, Curry, and Hill, with none being broken into the rotation after 23 games.
Bender been spending alot of time at several bigman camps each year, more as a helper then anything else.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
100% right answer...

the end of last season Walsh signed 3 seven footers to 10 day contract and traded for Wilcox, with none being broken into a small rotation.
This season we have Darko, Curry, and Hill, with none being broken into the rotation after 23 games.
Bender been spending alot of time at several bigman camps each year, more as a helper then anything else.

Originally Posted by NYKChevy
He's probably just going to be used as a practice body, anything more is a definate plus!

But I can't see why we'd have to sign him to a contract? And if so, then of all people, why Bender? He's built like a chopstick. Curry's 300lb + mass would destroy his GOOD knee after a handful of practices.

10097780.jpg

Look at him! His mother must have been a broom... 7 feet and 213lbs whilst active

We'd be better off renting a gorilla if we're gonna throw a big body in. Unless of course Donnie's being a good samaritan (spelling) after watching Bender's career end too soon.

If it's not a financial move then I can't see the point.

nyk_nyk

All Star
This move doesn't make the team better from a personnel standpoint so whatever. Who knows what's going on in Walsh's mind.

GetRealistic

Starter
It's a no risk high reward situation. I don't get why people are getting bent it out shape. You giving a 7 footer who was the 5th pick of the draft a few week tryout. If it doesn't work out, we are right back where we started.

He can help salary wise make trades. Or if we do trade Curry for Tmac he'd give us an extra 7 footer off the bench. Its a zero risk high reward signing. If nothing comes of it who cares, but if we get lucky and he even contributes a tiny bit it's a good signing.

richtree

Rotation player
Word on the street about Bender is that he was very immature and not ready for the NBA, but now family and friends have supported him 100% in his pursuit. The word is that he is playing at a high-level and his dedication is 110% with the desire needed to play night in - night out.

He is still big, atheltic and young. This is a great chance that the Knicks have taken. He can run up and down and play defense.

Also, if there was any kind of trade where Harrington, Curry, or Jefferies leaves NY. Here is an atheltic body to take the place for the time being.

I don't expect anything, and think he is worth a look-see.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
What I don't understand, of course, is if we're willing to sign Jonathan Bender, a guy who hasn't played basketball competitively in years who's 28 years old, why weren't we willing to sign Allen Iverson?

Iverson could've made this team a hell of a lot better too. And last I check our rookies are all DNP-CD so...

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
What I don't understand, of course, is if we're willing to sign Jonathan Bender, a guy who hasn't played basketball competitively in years who's 28 years old, why weren't we willing to sign Allen Iverson?

Iverson could've made this team a hell of a lot better too. And last I check our rookies are all DNP-CD so...
Iverson would have dominated the ball and taken away the ball movement that has spurred our recent play. Bender isnt going to do that, and is not a player who is going to demand to start or get big minutes. He is coming in with the understanding that he probably won't play alot. Plus hes a big body who can move, and thats always good.