Charlotte and Knicks talking Augustine????

Blas

Benchwarmer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/...t=AtvEhdkVRPeEKj6pfSNPpBO8vLYF?urn=nba,208813

Charlotte Bobcats head coach Larry Brown and young point guard DJ. Augustin aren't getting along right about now and the word is that if things don't change, Augustin could be picking up a one-way ticket to the Big Apple, according to the New York Post.

The New York Knicks are certainly interested in Augustin. You'd think the team would want any possible replacement to Chris Duhon(notes) and Nate Robinson(notes) at this point. The two teams apparently spent some time talking about a possible deal for Augustin last off-season. "He was part of a bigger deal," the source told the Post.

One of Brown's greatest friends in basketball is Donnie Walsh, the Knicks president, so the phone lines are certainly open between to talk about potential deals. The word is that Brown would trade Augutstin but Michael Jordan doesn't want to do such a thing just yet.

I have been a fan of Augustine in college. Unfortunately, I have not watched too many of his NBA games so I am not sure how he is transitioning.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I'll take him because we need a pure PG but his size and stats are underwhelming. Hopefully he can thrive under Dant's system...anything is better than Du Du.

I would say as of right now, Duhon is a better option at the pg than Augistine, Financially we would still keep duhon, and allow DJ to pick up back up minutes that should go to nate, question is what r we going to do with douglas ?

metrocard

Legend
I was thinking about leaving this site because I've been reading a lot of stupid shit lately.

But nothing defeats what was stated above. Chris Duhon, seriously?
I just hope Knicks get D.J because I always wanted him and he will be a star in this system.
But I'm out...I can't handle the madness.

I said right now, future considerations maybe DJ is better, but I believe in Larry brown and if hes not playing DJ its for a reason, dude is average 5 ppg and 2 assists in 18 mins a game. I dont know what that means to you, but to me it means he isnt playing very well. The players like duhon, and on our winning steak he has been playing very solid, I feel like if we took on DJ there could be some chemistry issues going on, and I really dont see him panning out over his career as a legit pg, let duhons contract run out and move forward next year with tony douglas and some one else. I know you are set in your ways metro and if you hate a player you hate a player forever, but DJ isnt performing at all, you cant back a player putting up 5 and 2 a gm.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'll take him because we need a pure PG but his size and stats are underwhelming. Hopefully he can thrive under Dant's system...anything is better than Du Du.

If that's your reason then your interested in the wrong player. DJ is not a pure PG. Not saying he isn't good, but he's more like a Nate or Mo Williams.

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
I said right now, future considerations maybe DJ is better, but I believe in Larry brown and if hes not playing DJ its for a reason, dude is average 5 ppg and 2 assists in 18 mins a game. I dont know what that means to you, but to me it means he isnt playing very well. The players like duhon, and on our winning steak he has been playing very solid, I feel like if we took on DJ there could be some chemistry issues going on, and I really dont see him panning out over his career as a legit pg, let duhons contract run out and move forward next year with tony douglas and some one else. I know you are set in your ways metro and if you hate a player you hate a player forever, but DJ isnt performing at all, you cant back a player putting up 5 and 2 a gm.
But you also have to remember that Larry Brown puts his players down whenever he wants to, and thats gotta have an effect on them. He's probably asking DJ to do things hes not used to doing this season. nyk nyk is right, he's not a point guard, he's a tweener, but those kind of players can thrive under D'Antoni ball. I mean look at the kid last season, 12 points a game on 44 percent from 3... That sounds like a D'Antoni player to me. He's also young so he's only going to get better. I think he's a great future piece.

My question is what are we giving up for him.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
If Duhon can continue to play like he has the last two games then i can manage him, which for an ordinary nba point guard wouldn't be that hard to do, but i think we all know better then to expect his jumpers to fall like they have been for much longer...I think at the moment the team is working pretty well together, and until we fall off again i wouldn't change much, at least unless it's a semi major deal

I just look at the production of DJ this year, and regardless of demands by larry brown, you believe that Mike D i not a demanding coach, he has been sitting Lee down the stretch in fourth quarters because he cannot play defense, he benched our second leading scorer from last year nate. Mike D has never had to be strict because in pho he was blessed with leadership, hence our reasons behind going after grant hill and jason kidd this off season.

Either way I think their are better options than DJ, look at sessions we sweated this kid hard core and hes not playing back up for a rookie on a horrible basketball team putting up chris duhon numbers.

you cannot jump on everything unless the pieces moved are right, if we upload curry or jefferies( who I could see larry brown liking ) then im all for it, but if it means douglas losing minutes, or DJ comes ina nd does not produce i will be for ever pissed.

p0nder

Starter
The two teams apparently spent some time talking about a possible deal for Augustin last off-season. "He was part of a bigger deal," the source told the Post.

That is the part that intrigues me. It's possible they are looking to move nate + curry/jj for DJ + ??? i wonder what kind of deal would be in the works? speculation on pieces from the bobcats that would fit there Finacially and chemistry wise?

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
I just look at the production of DJ this year, and regardless of demands by larry brown, you believe that Mike D i not a demanding coach, he has been sitting Lee down the stretch in fourth quarters because he cannot play defense, he benched our second leading scorer from last year nate. Mike D has never had to be strict because in pho he was blessed with leadership, hence our reasons behind going after grant hill and jason kidd this off season.

Either way I think their are better options than DJ, look at sessions we sweated this kid hard core and hes not playing back up for a rookie on a horrible basketball team putting up chris duhon numbers.

you cannot jump on everything unless the pieces moved are right, if we upload curry or jefferies( who I could see larry brown liking ) then im all for it, but if it means douglas losing minutes, or DJ comes ina nd does not produce i will be for ever pissed.
fair enough

LJ4ptplay

Starter
That is the part that intrigues me. It's possible they are looking to move nate + curry/jj for DJ + ??? i wonder what kind of deal would be in the works? speculation on pieces from the bobcats that would fit there Finacially and chemistry wise?

I know there was a deal discussed last year. I think it was Curry + Lee for Diaw + Bell.

smokes

Huge Member
Well we certainly should not get excited about a trade to the Bobcats. If something were to go through it's almost certainly going to be a straight swap of say Nate for Augustine + a filler contract.

Donnie is determined not to take on any contract that goes into 2010 and the Bobcats larger salaries are all long-term.

The only deal that could benefit us long term would involve Chandler or Stephen Jackson. Personally I wouldn't want to take on Jackson as his contract runs through 2013 and by that point his best days are going to be way behind him. I guess a Jackson/James or Jackson/Bosh combo could work but I wouldn't want to commit so much of our salary for so long when we could get much better players in 2011.

Chandler however would be great, if we could come up with a suitable package. Chandler is a strong 7 footer, blocks shots, rebounds, can alley/putback all game and can run the floorl. He would be a great addition to the team to entice a 2010 superstar however I very much doubt that the Bobcats want to trade him and it also doesn't aid our salary situation, it would put us +1 million over what we have now. It would mean we would HAVE to trade Jefferies to have any chance at a max contract + filling the team.

With all that said, 2 trades that could work are:

Nate/Hughes/Wilson for Chandler/Augustine/filler

and

Curry/Wilson/Nate for Chandler/Augustine/filler

Wouldn't be mad about either of those.

ANU

Starter
agreed.from what i can remember about him in college, he was a pure point with a good jump shot.**** around and he ends up being a steve nash type.i'd definitely take him.as long as we don't get additional trash from them, all is good.

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
I dont think Larry wants Nate, if you remember he wanted to send Nate to the D-League when he was here and he sat a lot.

I wouldn't want someone like Tyson Chandler unless we were giving up Curry to get him, and even that only if theres way we can get an expiring back for Curry first. His contract is too large and he's a shell of his former self. His numbers have slipped considerably since 2007-08. I mean do you really wanna pay the guy 23 mil for the next 2 years for 6 ppg and 6 rebounds? I mean he doesnt even block shots well, he averages 1.3 bpg. I dont know, I wouldnt want that. It would seem like making a deal just to make a deal.

smokes

Huge Member
I dont think Larry wants Nate, if you remember he wanted to send Nate to the D-League when he was here and he sat a lot.

I wouldn't want someone like Tyson Chandler unless we were giving up Curry to get him, and even that only if theres way we can get an expiring back for Curry first. His contract is too large and he's a shell of his former self. His numbers have slipped considerably since 2007-08. I mean do you really wanna pay the guy 23 mil for the next 2 years for 6 ppg and 6 rebounds? I mean he doesnt even block shots well, he averages 1.3 bpg. I dont know, I wouldnt want that. It would seem like making a deal just to make a deal.

You have to remember that Chandler was injury plagued last season and now he's playing in a completely different system without a pass-first PG. Almost all of Chandlers points came from O rebounds, putbacks and alley-oops, they aren't catering for his style in Charlotte.

I don't see why you wouldn't want to do a Curry for Chandler swap, that really boggles the mind. Chandler is infinitely better than Curry and a lot easier to trade. Good quality defensive 7 footers are a rarity in the league right now.

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
IMO I would only do a Curry for Chandler swap if I knew there was no way that I could swap Curry for an expiring.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
you hear so many rumors and few ever come into fruition. would ilike to have dj augustin here? hell yeah. if we got him i would expect a little time of a learning curve, but then he would really shine. as much as I hate duhorrible, i would not mind him as a backup. i remember a lot of ppl calling for augustine on draft day. it really would be sick if we could end up with gallo and augustine. the real question is, how likely is that gonna happen? we can only hope a deal can go down