Just when you thought D'ant was bad, he shows you he's worse that you thought!

mafra

Legend
I'm sorry to vent... But I cannot stand this style of basketball anymore. I don't mind losing, but this is not effort.... This is quitting!

To make it worse... we did (played) the same game in CHA, and the coach learned nothing!

15-45 from the 3-point arc! HOw does a COACH PERMIT THIS?

We have 9 points in the 4th quarter? A semi-decent coach could manage that with a few TOs and well-devised plays.

Look at the play-by-play for the 4th quarter. Can you believe it.... One missed layup, one blocked layup, a missed tip in, 1 missed 9-foot shot, a few free throws... EVRY OTHER POSSESSION was a brick 3-point shot.

How do you play an entire quarter and don't bother to drive into the paint?

They did this in the 1st half, as a 17-point lead went bye-bye... Bricking (missing) 10 consecutive 3s.... Wouldn't a halfway decent & lucid coach, who cared one iota... call a TO and tell his team to stop the madness?

Knicks are 8-34 from 3 on their last 34 attempts.

WOW!

I wont even mention how CHI announcer basically said D'ant blew this game by pulling Harrington after he scored 14 quick points.

HOw CHI laughed about NY's THIRTY missed 3-point shots (more than any opponent has even attemnpted against CHI this season).

What we saw tonight was a coach who could care less, and a team who could care less.... L-A-Z-Y... Wanted no part to earn their millions.... Just go through the motions and shoot 3 pointers.

We play 12 minutes in the 4th quarter and don't score one basket in the paint? We take 3-4 attempts even within 10-feet? This after a 4th quarter collapse our last game.

See everyone in July. If these cats don't care, why should I?

-CHI announcers just repeat the line: D'ant just blew this game. They talked about how coach went with Curry, Douglas, Gallo together when the knicks were hot and NY saw 17 point lead disappear, and NY never recovered.

WOW.... they are ripping coach D'ant!

iSaYughh

Starter
Hey, at least Jordan Hill showed us some fire. :barf:

This is indeed horrible coaching/management.

Our future is: Hill, Gallo, Douglas....maybe Lee, maybe Chandler.

Every single thing we do should be based around developing: Hill, Gallo, Douglas.

Our future success is based on this, as well as dumping Jeffries and Curry pretty much *BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY* providing the names Hill, Gallo, and Douglas are not mentioned.

Play N8....why? Give him his minutes and his stats so we can use his ass to achieve aims within the aforesaid.

Harrington, and to a more nuanced extent, Chandler and Lee....relish their success...why? SO we can trade their asses to help in achieving the aforesaid.

This season is an abortion the way it is playing out, and major changes must happen throughout the trade period regarding Jeffries/Curry, and perhaps giving us a legitimate PG.

TunerAddict

Starter
Bitch bitch bitch. Seriously. If the players didn't want to take threes, they wouldn't be taking them.

A coach can only do so much.

Does he give them freedom? Hell yeah. Too much? Certainly appears so with how dumb our team is.

But is it his game plan to shoot 45 3s? Maybe you think that if you're retarded.

mafra

Legend
Hey, at least Jordan Hill showed us some fire. :barf:

This is indeed horrible coaching/management.

Our future is: Hill, Gallo, Douglas....maybe Lee, maybe Chandler.

Every single thing we do should be based around developing: Hill, Gallo, Douglas.

Our future success is based on this, as well as dumping Jeffries and Curry pretty much *BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY* providing the names Hill, Gallo, and Douglas are not mentioned.

Play N8....why? Give him his minutes and his stats so we can use his ass to achieve aims within the aforesaid.

Harrington, and to a more nuanced extent, Chandler and Lee....relish their success...why? SO we can trade their asses to help in achieving the aforesaid.

This season is an abortion the way it is playing out, and major changes must happen throughout the trade period regarding Jeffries/Curry, and perhaps giving us a legitimate PG.

This season is going so bad.... I think it's actually going to hurt the progress of all the kids, which is going to set us back next year.

Chandler, Gallo especially are only learning BAD habbits. For Gallo to sit there and take 17 shots, with 15 of them being from DEEP 3 range, and only get 1 free throw (which he missed).... Yikes.

CHI announcer goes: Man Chandler is making some dumb decisions tonight, after airing yet another 40-foot bomb.

Torp

Benchwarmer
Bitch bitch bitch. Seriously. If the players didn't want to take threes, they wouldn't be taking them.

Does he give them freedom? Hell yeah. Too much? Certainly appears so with how dumb our team is.

But is it his game plan to shoot 45 3s? Maybe you think that if you're retarded.

Exactly the point... the players DO want to take the threes because they can't do anything else. It is not that it is Coach D's SOLE GAMEPLAN to shoot 45 3's. It is the fact that he gives them free reign to shoot a 3 (without repercussions or punishment) whenever anyone has 1 cm of space that is the problem.

He needs to be strict. When he clearly does not want anyone to shoot threes (i.e. when we are up 17), he better get out there and say "if you shoot a non-wide open 3, you will be benched." Yet he clearly did not convey this message since the knicks kept on shooting threes. This IS CLEARLY the fault of the coach.

A coach is the single most important factor when our team is inherently filled with bad players. Because his gameplan can at least attempt to prevent having to shoot 45 3's. Clearly this did not happen.

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
I'm not going to sit here and say that D'Antoni was completly right this game simply because playing 6 guys for 48 mins is suicide and realy thats why they took so many threes. The simple fact was the team was tired at the end of the game, you dont have the legs to go on a full on drive when u play 48 non stop minutes. I just didnt think the knicks had the energy at the end of the game

I dont think the answer is "play right or your benched" because than u have the isiah thomas era where people were afraid to be benched at any moment so their play was unnatural in a way. I think the defined roles are good for the team, it creates stability, and lord knows we havent had that in a while.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
All the threes aside...What the hell was coach thinking playing the starters so many minutes, they all looked burnt in the fourth quarter. He does know the team has to fly home and play another game tonight doesn't he? I'm not saying Toney and Eddy should have played 20 minutes apiece, but damn 4 min...Why bother...Tonights game should be real fun...:boohoo:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Danphony can and should have done something about the team taking that many threes. I know he usually lets his players play but there is a point when you have to actually coach a game and he failed to do that. The players are at fault for relying on them too much even when only down by 5 or 6 and Danphony gets a fail for not coming up with a late gameplan that included drives to the basket.

I think it was absolutely stupid how he only played 7 guys (2 of which saw barely any minutes) with a game the following night. He constantly overlooks Hill and even though he has issues with Nate, should have at least given him minutes to help keep the starters fresh. He removed a hot Harrington and kept Curry in the game too long only to see the lead dissapear. Its like they learned nothing from their 4 gm winning streak. Back to basics for them.

I was never a fan of Dantoni's coaching... especially for my Knicks. I don't think he's a good coach when it comes to figuring out how to win games. Hate to compare, but good coaches like Phil Jack, either Van Gundy and L Brown would have never allowed this madness to take place.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Three Point Shots

I did not see the game so I do not know how many of those 47 three point shots were reasonable. 47, however, is a large number, but there is an argument for taking lots of threes.

The Knicks took a total of 86 shots. 47 were three point shots and 16 were successful. The shooting percentage on three point shots was .3404. But the 16 made shots produced 48 points. It would take 24 successful two point shots to produce that number. If there had been 47 two point shots of which 24 were successful, the percentage would be over 50%.

39 of the Kincks total 86 shots were two point shots. They were successful on 15 of them. Their 2 point shooting percentage was .3846 and their 2 point shots produced 30 points.

If the Knicks took all their 86 shots within two point range and were successful at 38.46 percent -- the 2 point percentage --, they would have made slightly over 33 shots or about 66 points. With the 11 made foul shots, they would have scored 77 points.

If the Knicks took all of their 86 shots from three point range and were successful at 34.04 %-- the 3 point percentage-- they would have made over 29 shots or about 87 points. With the 11 made foul shots, they would have scored 98 points.

I do not advocate three point shots only, it would make the game boring and involve very little foul shooting, but clearly they can be productive.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I did not see the game so I do not know how many of those 47 three point shots were reasonable. 47, however, is a large number, but there is an argument for taking lots of threes.

The Knicks took a total of 86 shots. 47 were three point shots and 16 were successful. The shooting percentage on three point shots was .3404. But the 16 made shots produced 48 points. It would take 24 successful two point shots to produce that number. If there had been 47 two point shots of which 24 were successful, the percentage would be over 50%.

39 of the Kincks total 86 shots were two point shots. They were successful on 15 of them. Their 2 point shooting percentage was .3846 and their 2 point shots produced 30 points.

If the Knicks took all their 86 shots within two point range and were successful at 38.46 percent -- the 2 point percentage --, they would have made slightly over 33 shots or about 66 points. With the 11 made foul shots, they would have scored 77 points.

If the Knicks took all of their 86 shots from three point range and were successful at 34.04 %-- the 3 point percentage-- they would have made over 29 shots or about 87 points. With the 11 made foul shots, they would have scored 98 points.

I do not advocate three point shots only, it would make the game boring and involve very little foul shooting, but clearly they can be productive.

Is this a joke?

OGKnickfan

Enlightened

Man, while I was gone, you just turned into more of a fag. The guy makes a great point, about the ridiculous number of threes shot in a game that I didn't watch, by the way, and you call him bitch for it.

Even if he was wrong, you made a real bitch bitch bitch move in replying in that manner.

I bet you anything you wouldn't say any of that to his face.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Man, while I was gone, you just turned into more of a fag. The guy makes a great point, about the ridiculous number of threes shot in a game that I didn't watch, by the way, and you call him bitch for it.

Even if he was wrong, you made a real bitch bitch bitch move in replying in that manner.

I don't want to start a fight with you but it's clear he wasn't calling anyone a bitch. He was saying "bitch bitch bitch" as in all he hears is people bitching...ie complaining. Hardly a reason to call someone a fag...

I agree though that the Knicks need to stop taking so many 3's.

Last edited:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

why did u come back? anywayz ur boy pau gasol has been nasty of late

mafra

Legend
Some good stuff here. Lots of good points.

On one hand, I feel D'ant has respect of a lot of players in the NBA, that his style is appealing... and almost like his coaching this year exhibits a total disregard of outcome (he knows this team stinks).

I feel like he's going out of his way to play the vets, in a way to send a loud, clear message around the NBA that he's a player's coach.

On the other hand, I see a coach who couldn't design a play during a TO to save his life. I see a coach with no feel for the game during the game (subbing patterns, no idea when to let momentum go or when to break it).

When the knicks had a 17 point lead, I saw 4 missed 3s, a few turnovers and ZERO timeouts? Did I miss something? I don't care if it happens too quickly, or not.

ALSO, that 4th quarter was insane. No professional basektball team should go 12 minutes and hardly attempt a drive to the basket or pass it into the post.

AND, please.... when Curry is in the game.... The ball should go to him every possession.... why else play him to "showcase" him? He stinks, and when he's on the court the Knics are doomed.... So why not at least force feed him stats?

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
I came back, because I just wrapped up my first semester back in school: it's killer, work, school, internship. I finally got to Christmas break.

Anyway, he's obviously trying to insult the man: first, he goes on his bitch, bitch, bitch rant. Then, he says, "But is it his game plan to shoot 45 3s? Maybe you think that if you're retarded."

Case closed, the guy's an irredeemable asshole.

And I've been a Pau fan since Memphis, when he was the NBA's best kept secret, carrying bums, like Battier and Mike Miller, to 50 wins in the west. I was begging for Isiah to get him, which I knew would make us a great team again: if Pau did what he did with bums, imagine him with some marginal talent, like Jamal and Marbury. Isiah is rumored to have offered Malik Rose, Nate Robinson and some other bum. He said Curry was "untouchable."

We didn't get him, and now LA, who did, rules the basketball world. Oh well.

nyk_nyk

All Star
On the other hand, I see a coach who couldn't design a play during a TO to save his life. I see a coach with no feel for the game during the game (subbing patterns, no idea when to let momentum go or when to break it).

Once again you describle exactly what's going on. I wish more people would pay close attention and realize your observation. In my opinion this is not up for debate. These are real problems Dantoni has as a head coach.