D'ant regrets coming to NY - Hill is a stiff

mafra

Legend
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...ug=aw-dantoniknicks122209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Bulls boxed in by cheap coaching hire

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

NEW YORK ? In the lowest of the losing, Mike D?Antoni delivered history lessons to the New York Knicks. Only the Knicks coach wasn?t pitching the past of Madison Square Garden, Red Holzman and Clyde Frazier and Willis Reed, but a self-proclaimed genius born of the desert sun. Before his players, sources say, D?Antoni had started down the don?t-you-know-who-I-am route and recited his r?sum? of 60-victory seasons and scoring records and revolutionary basketball.

He let it be known, too, that the non-believers among them should feel free to march into Donnie Walsh?s office and demand his dismissal. More than one Knick privately laughed that they didn?t know there was an ?I? in coach.

D?Antoni can call the bluff of his boss today, but he?d better be careful tomorrow. The Knicks are a mess, and league friends of D?Antoni believe he has deep regret for passing on Chicago for New York. He let his ego and agent push him out of Phoenix, and let his desire for money over winning pass on Chicago. Make no mistake, though: That was two months ago and this is now. New York has a Garden winning streak of six games, and New York isn?t on his case for the holidays.

For the first time, D?Antoni has modest contentment in New York. After a terrific meeting with Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf in the spring of 2008, a promise that he would give the Bulls 24 hours to formulate an offer, D?Antoni took the money and ran to the New York Knicks. They had a worse roster, the worse salary cap situation and, of course, the most money to pay him.
Looking back, the Bulls made the cheapest possible hire, Vinny Del Negro. He had never coached as a front-office executive for the Suns, but league sources say D?Antoni considered him as one more undermining force within the organization. Of course, D?Antoni thought everyone was out to get him in the desert. Seven seconds or less wasn?t just an offense, but how rapidly he could turn something innocuous into a conspiracy.

Less than two years later, Del Negro has a playoff appearance, an epic seven-game playoff loss to the Boston Celtics and the most tenuous coaching status in the NBA. D?Antoni could?ve had his precious point guard, Derrick Rose, but he chased the money and mirage of LeBron James to New York. Mostly, D?Antoni made two terrible mistakes: never trying to work things out with Steve Kerr in Phoenix and never letting Reinsdorf make him a competitive offer.

Once the Bulls owner lost D?Antoni and vetoed the return of Doug Collins, Del Negro was his improbable choice. With no coaching pedigree and no track record, no long contract and no Ben Gordon, Del Negro is on the firing line. He staggered into Madison Square Garden with a historic collapse to the Sacramento Kings on Monday night hanging over him like an anvil. The Bulls lost a 35-point lead, lost the second biggest second-half edge ever and Del Negro moved closer to losing management?s benefit of the doubt.

Rose described the Bulls as ?shell-shocked.? We were just dumbfounded,? he said. And why wouldn?t they be? When asked about his coach?s status, there were no endorsements. Just a deferential, ?That?s a front-office [issue] ??

The Bulls salvaged some shred of credibility at the Garden, when all alone Rose made a frantic comeback in the final minutes on the Knicks. Chicago lost 88-81, with a paltry 31 halftime points. One NBA scout courtside insisted that, ?Vinny ran three [different] plays the whole half and barely made any [play] calls. We don?t even know what to write down. They had a lot more variety last year, a lot more ball movement. It was almost like Vinny said, ?Screw it, you guys figure it out.? ?

After taking heat for firing two consecutive coaches on Christmas Eve ? Tim Floyd and Scott Skiles ? the calendar could be Del Negro?s greatest ally now. Nevertheless, management had insisted that it was behind Del Negro, but the front office did do background work on ex-New Jersey Nets coach Lawrence Frank. What?s more, one source says, owner Jerry Reinsdorf canvassed at least one close league associate about 10 days ago about potential coaching names.

The Bulls have turned the franchise over to a journeyman college assistant and scouting director, Gar Forman, and it?s anyone?s guess how that?ll turn out. He drafted Tyrus Thomas with the No. 4 pick in 2006,
but can?t trade him soon enough once his broken forearm heals. He let Ben Gordon leave as a free agent, trusting that he can replace a very good player with a great one. When free agency comes this summer, the Bulls have two things to sell Dwyane Wade: His hometown and another Chicago-born point guard, Rose. As validating visions go, Wade knows Pat Riley can build him a champion. Forman? Well, Wade will have to take some leap of faith to trust his future to him.

The Bulls had been willing to let Del Negro get Thomas back next week, and let him try with a full complement of players. The back-to-back losses that drop the Bulls into fourth in the Central Division ? never mind the severity of the Kings debacle ? are troubling signs for staying power. Nevertheless, the most likely successor, Bernie Bickerstaff, is a believer of Del Negro and isn?t anxious to take over the team.

Through it all, the Bulls coach was probably on the Knicks? bench on Tuesday night. He should?ve been in Phoenix, in Chicago, anywhere but New York. His boss passed on Brandon Jennings for a stiff forward, Jordan Hill, who can?t crack the rotation on a lottery team. His system might have worked well with the Bulls, but it never happened. Two years later, Reinsdorf is still waiting on a return call, and truth be told, Vinny Del Negro is waiting on one his own.

This isn?t an appealing arrangement for the Class of 2010, but so it goes in lottery land. However arrogantly, D?Antoni could still reach back and tell his players that his system worked, that he had the clout to bully them into belief. For Del Negro, it isn?t so easy. He has nothing to fall back on, nothing to shake his fist into the air about and say here?s the proof it works. He holds onto dear life in this job, and D?Antoni holds tightly to the myth that LeBron James wants to play for him.

Nevertheless, Del Negro got a break in Chicago, and D?Antoni got a fortune in New York. Maybe that?s what they both wanted, maybe that?ll just have to be enough for them.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Who is Adrian Wojnarowski?, and is Yahoo sports even a good place to read about the Knicks?

**** this A Hole, I don't care who he is! Did this idiot watched him in Arizona! Hill is no stiff, this kid is so athletic and I give props to Donnie for drafting him. We needed protection if Lee ever left and Hill is the perfect power forward. Hill can shoot, block shoots, contest shoots, dive in the floor, put backs with authority. To have Gallinari at 6'11 and Hill at 6'10 as part of our future frontcourt is amazing. Add in Douglas and I say our future is looking bright. Chandler is finally slashing over powering people instead of taking 3's.

p0nder

Starter
Hill is young and raw, needs time to work it out, he'll be integral next year. You'll see him in garbage time later on in the year after trade deadlines pass.

As for this article, this guy is a complete douche and is making huge leaps in logic to string together this cheese. First, he starts talking shit about d'antoni and how he should of gone to the bulls, who are right now the worse team of the two. Maybe he doesn't understand that D'ant is a man with vision and pedigree who felt he could bring something to New York Basketball. The Bigger Challenge and the bigger money, any self-respecting professional would of made that same choice. This guy is a bum get his terrible, unfounded article off the boards and shove it up his ass.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
seems hill has the all the tools that lee does not possess... why is lee starting and not hill???

Are you really going to compare a 5 year veteran in Lee with a rookie? Look at Lee stats his rookie year 205-2006:

5.1 pts,
4.5 rebs in 16.9 minutes

Hill stats so far are:

3.8 pts, 2.2 rbs in 8 minutes

If you give Hill time to get stronger, develop the skills that he has he will contribute to our Knicks. However, you can't compare rookies with seasons veterans. When did I say that Hill should start over Lee? I said that Lee is playing great and that Hill is the perfect guy to take over with time. Lee has been given that opportunity and I hope one day Jordan Hill gets that in a Knick uniform. I really like his game.

<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="oddrow"><td>
</td><td>
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td><td align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
Screw this guy. Screw his article.

D'antoni knew right from the start that the Knicks aren't afraid to spend tons of money to get him the players that he wants/needs to run his SSOL offense. The complet opposite of the Bulls organisation. They couldn't even keep Gordon. Reinsdorf is way too stingy.

Summer of 2010 will deliver.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
winning 8 out of 11 games wow! and......Carzy-Kiya will still trade Dantoni for a one year experience coach Del Negro

How many games over how many seasons do they have to win before you walk back your irrational hatred of a top tier coach? Were you molested by a guy with a mustache...

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
winning 8 out of 11 games wow! and......Carzy-Kiya will still trade Dantoni for a one year experience coach Del Negro

your such a terrible poster, its people like you that make me pause when ppl say nyc has the smartest fans. gtfo..vinny del negro is a horrible coach. you seriously are ****ing retarted

richtree

Rotation player
yeah, especially when the suns could have won the title if it wasnt' for the bench technical that was BS

th3realicon

Rotation player
I've said it over and over again. 2010 can't come here soon enough. D'Antoni is doing well with what he has. The Kniks are not that bad as of late. Let's hope these good results last, and god willing we make the playoffs to know how it feels lol

paris401

Starter
Are you really going to compare a 5 year veteran in Lee with a rookie?

i was commenting on your statement ''Hill is the perfect power forward. Hill can shoot, block shoots, contest shoots, dive in the floor, put backs with authority.''

i don't know much about hill, but you say he can shoot, and despite lee's recent 'hot-streak', he is useless past a 5ft jumper.... hill can block shots, contest shots... the next block or contested shot will be lee's 1st..or is it his 2nd of the year.... so if hill can do all u say, rookie or not, he should be in there getting playing time...

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
i was commenting on your statement ''Hill is the perfect power forward. Hill can shoot, block shoots, contest shoots, dive in the floor, put backs with authority.''

i don't know much about hill, but you say he can shoot, and despite lee's recent 'hot-streak', he is useless past a 5ft jumper.... hill can block shots, contest shots... the next block or contested shot will be lee's 1st..or is it his 2nd of the year.... so if hill can do all u say, rookie or not, he should be in there getting playing time...

With time Hill will show those skills, I'm not saying he should be playing over Lee at this time. Hill is a project and everyone knows that, just as David Lee was a few years ago. David Lee is putting up all star numbers this season and there is possibility for him to vault at the end of the season. That's where Hill comes into the picture and has the opportunity to show what he can do and I hope and think that he will do well.

Am I mad that Hill is not playing and Bender is? Yes I'm even if we are winning I want to see what Hill can do. Deep down Donnie has to be pissed off that his 8th and 29th selection are not playing very much at all. Just the 29th selection was worth 3 million dollars to acquire from the Lakers. It just doesn't make any sense to give so many damn minutes to Duhon and play Bender over Hill. I don't think our rookies are that bad to be at the end of the dept chart.

paris401

Starter
With time Hill will show those skills, I'm not saying he should be playing over Lee at this time. Hill is a project and everyone knows that, just as David Lee was a few years ago. David Lee is putting up all star numbers this season and there is possibility for him to vault at the end of the season. That's where Hill comes into the picture and has the opportunity to show what he can do and I hope and think that he will do well.

Am I mad that Hill is not playing and Bender is? Yes I'm even if we are winning I want to see what Hill can do. Deep down Donnie has to be pissed off that his 8th and 29th selection are not playing very much at all. Just the 29th selection was worth 3 million dollars to acquire from the Lakers. It just doesn't make any sense to give so many damn minutes to Duhon and play Bender over Hill. I don't think our rookies are that bad to be at the end of the dept chart.

i do agree with ya... we are building for the future, we have no past, and no present, so our young guys should be getting mins... duhon is not our future.. maybe toney /hill is or isn;t but if u don't play em, u will never know...

CoolClyde

Damntoni

NEW YORK ? In the lowest of the losing, Mike D?Antoni delivered history lessons to the New York Knicks. Only the Knicks coach wasn?t pitching the past of Madison Square Garden, Red Holzman and Clyde Frazier and Willis Reed, but a self-proclaimed genius born of the desert sun. Before his players, sources say, D?Antoni had started down the don?t-you-know-who-I-am route and recited his r?sum? of 60-victory seasons and scoring records and revolutionary basketball.

He let it be known, too, that the non-believers among them should feel free to march into Donnie Walsh?s office and demand his dismissal. More than one Knick privately laughed that they didn?t know there was an ?I? in coach.
This is why Damntoni is an a-hole, why Marbury was benched for the season, and why N8 is not going to play. Damntoni has a holier-than-thou attitude, and he is a stuck-up snob. He feels he's ALWAYS right, and if the team has faults, he'll never EVER admit to them being his fault (ie: lame substitutions, benching players in his doghouse, regardless of what they can bring to the table, poor use of shot clock, bad plays out of time outs, NO DEFENSE in the SSOL).

Damntoni thinks he is better than others and his attitude is ALWAYS condescending. Case in point, going off on the reporter who asked about N8 sitting recently, Damntoni admitted to Duhon being the only guy who could run the team, and N8 minutes would take away from Gallo. This love of Duhon is killing the Knicks, he is going to burn out again, we're already seeing this in every loss... Duhon doesn't perform, Knicks lose. Damntoni is putting all his eggs in one basket named Duhon and an 8-man rotation. Not making use of Douglas, N8 and Hill is going to make the Knicks tired losers and not playoff contenders.

Thanks Mafra, for putting this out there, it is so true.

Without Steve Nash and Amare Stoudmire type players running and gunning his team, Damntoni is a loser coach.

dre48ny

Rotation player
This team needs a better PG and they will address their go to guy this offseason. Other than that I'm happy with what they have. I think if Bron comes into town this summer and Harrington and Hughes will not mind taking a 1 year deal like N8 and Dlee did for a chance at a title, we'll be ok.