Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Lee's recent success is bitter sweet for The Knicks

Default David Lee's recent success is bitter sweet for The Knicks

Look, David Lee's agent is drooling at the mouth nowadays!

And Donnie is kicking himself for not locking him up at a 5 yr 40 million dollar deal! Now its going to cost us!

David Lee is probably playing as good as any player in the league over the past few games.

He has added a new element to his game every year! He came back his sophomore year a 80% FT shooter up from 50%, his 3rd season he had to play behind Curry and Randolph and still was the most consistient player on the team, last year he picked up a somewhat reliable jump shot, now he has a pretty reliable jumper, plus a knack for scoring the ball proving he is more than just a rebounder!

David Lee is a testament to work ethic! And outside the mega-stars this off season David will the top FA this summer, the safe bet for Donnie is to sign Lee to extension before the bidding war begins on him

Watching him yesterday, I kept thinking, this is the game where Lee establishes him self as an All-Star.

He's gotta make the team. The coaches vote for the All Star reserves and I don't think there is any coach in the world who wouldn't want a guy like Lee on their squad.

He looked great last night. With him and Gallo as our front line, I really think we have the makings of a great future. Being a Knick fan is becoming fun again.

Yeah, unfortunately it will cost us $10.5 mil to retain his Bird Rights which doesn't leave enough cap space to sign a max. If Lee makes the All-Star team this year his agent will ask for $11 mil a year. Which doesn't leave enough cap space to sign a max.

Unless Jeffries is traded expect Lee to be gone after this year. And that's a shame.

Yes we shoulda, coulda, woulda signed him for less last year. That said he wasn't as good last year so the point is moot. I do not mind having to pay him what he is worth...why are we quick to sign a Bosh or Amare to >11 mil a year but hesitate to sign a homegrown stud like Lee?

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Yes we shoulda, coulda, woulda signed him for less last year. That said he wasn't as good last year so the point is moot. I do not mind having to pay him what he is worth...why are we quick to sign a Bosh or Amare to >11 mil a year but hesitate to sign a homegrown stud like Lee?
    Your right. Also, Lee might be a better fit. He wants to be here. He knows NY. The fans love him. More importantly, he is more of a complimentary player than bosh and amare. If we get LeBron, than Lee is probably the best fit. It's not as attractive as Bosh and Amare, but Lee doesn't need to score to make a difference. I can't say the same for Bosh and Amare.

LeBron, Gallo, and Lee would be the best combination I can think of under Mike D. Than its just a matter of having a defensive big man at center (Think Ben Wallace when he was in his prime), and a veteran PG (Nash would have been perfect)

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Yeah, unfortunately it will cost us $10.5 mil to retain his Bird Rights which doesn't leave enough cap space to sign a max. If Lee makes the All-Star team this year his agent will ask for $11 mil a year. Which doesn't leave enough cap space to sign a max.

Unless Jeffries is traded expect Lee to be gone after this year. And that's a shame.
    No way that happens! I think Donnie would jepordize signing a max FA before just letting David Walk for nothing. David will be a Knick next year regardless if we move Jefferies or not -which I think we eventually will barring a serious injury-

He and his agent were all for backloading his contract so Lee can remain a Knick and The Knicks could sign a max FA last offseason so I think that is always an option.
    Give David 9 million plus incentives and huge anual raises. I figure D.Lee has earned himself a five year 55 million dollar contract, and we could pay out the remaining 46 million over the next 4 seasons which would make his average salary for those next years 11.5, thats just about right

The key is David wants to be a Knick and he wants to win as a Knick I think he would take less to remain a Knick and to have a shot at being a winner

Its a case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence! I think that Knicks fans are so desperate for a change is why outside players get recognition before our own players....not saying I think that is right, but that is just the what it is.

Bringing in a player like Amare of Bosh would add a different element to the team. Kinda like us always hiring outside coaches before considering Herb or even better example being us hiring Don Nelson to coach after Pat Riley when all in while we having eventual legendary Knicks Jeff Van Gundy on the bench.

In sports fans always crave change and Amare or Bosh would represent that....but what is that they say about change not always being better

With all that said, if resigning David is our only major signing next season would you feel good about that?

Lee wouldn't get signed or even thought of until LeBron picks a city.

Here's my dream sequence.

July 4 2010
    LeBron signs with NY for an Arod like deal (We might be looking at 200mil 10 years, or a 3yr or 4yr deal for over 100mil)

*I have no idea how much the Knicks have in the bank so these numbers are just being thrown around

July 13
    David Lee signs a 5 yr deal for 55mil

July 19
    Raja Bell signs a 2 yr deal for peanuts

July 26
    Marcus Camby signs 2 yr deal for peanuts

August 13
    Knicks trade for Jason Terry or some other veteran that can hold down the pg spot.

If we don't get LeBron, I don't think throwing money at Amare and Bosh is the answer.

I rather resign Lee, and wait to the very next season to throw tons of money on Durant.

That also would be a huge deal

With all that said, if resigning David is our only major signing next season would you feel good about that?
    It depends...I am willing to wait till 2011 to sign a FA if Lebron and Wade don't sign with us. We would be making a mistake to throw money at Bosh or Amare and make them our franchise player. Lebron, Wade or trade for an elite player is the only thing we should do next year besides retaining Lee and further developing our young guns. If you can't get an elite, play with what you have and go at 2011 which ahas a great crop of young studs...Durant would be on the top of my list.

Originally Posted by Starks
    If we don't get LeBron, I don't think throwing money at Amare and Bosh is the answer.

I rather resign Lee, and wait to the very next season to throw tons of money on Durant.

That also would be a huge deal
    LOL, read my mind. I coulda just quoted you!

Superstar

My question is how does backloading a contract affect the cap situation next year. For example what if we were to pay David Lee 7 mil but his contract ends at 14.

We ideally want to be done with free agents by 2011

LOL, read my mind. I coulda just quoted you!
    Don't get me wrong, LeBron is the real goal. Nothing will match that signing.

But as we reach 2010, names like Bosh and Amare don't really do anything for me anymore.

2 years ago when I heard Bosh and Amare might be Knicks I was doing cartwheels. Now, I'm just kind of like ehhhh thats nice. Essentially, it would be the same way I felt about the Jason Bay signing yesterday

Lee's "worth" is relative. It's relative to other available players, the time he and others are available and to the value franchises place on his attributes, so to speculate his worth at this time is pointless. What is more important is the recognition that the NYK can survive without his newly found 20ft jumper- but what we cannot be sucessful without is DEFENSE! Has this "boarderline allstar" learned to play one on one defense? The answer is NO, that said I don't believe he is a scrub at all but still remains a complement player- therefore his contract and negotiations should reflect this. His contract should be the third or fourth priority for us. The answer to your question above is... because they play defense. Sign Lee to an enormous contract and we'll be looking for a center to make up for his deficiencies soon- like we are now. His agent will out price him off the team. Last yr proved he's about $ and I suspect he's gone sooner or later IMHO.

Lee is great yeah but he still can't defend or block a shot to save his life, his offensive game is great but he's not an all round player. His value is in outscoring and outrebounding his matchup, but he gives up a ton of points to penetrating guards that a real PF/C wouldn't.

Also Lee is fitting better into the team this year after playing C almost all of last season and getting used to it. BUT his numbers are not really that different from last season, and he has the ball a lot more now hence almost having +1 turnover per game more than last season. He had a great run of games recently but players do that, have runs and slumps, I think people are getting a bit too high on him.

Hell yeah if we could have got him at 8 mill per for 5 years last season knowing how he's playing now, it would have been great, but hindsight is 20/20. Bottom line is you can't build a team around Lee, he's not THAT good.

edit - I should rephrase that to you can't build a WINNING team around Lee, since our team at the moment is pretty much built around him!
    Last edited by smokes; Dec 30, 2009 at 12:40.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Red
    Lee's "worth" is relative. It's relative to other available players, the time he and others are available and to the value franchises place on his attributes, so to speculate his worth at this time is pointless. What is more important is the recognition that the NYK can survive without his newly found 20ft jumper- but what we cannot be sucessful without is DEFENSE! Has this "boarderline allstar" learned to play one on one defense? The answer is NO, that said I don't believe he is a scrub at all but still remains a complement player- therefore his contract and negotiations should reflect this. .

very well said....