Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hughes Irked with Dantoni

Veteran

Angry Hughes Irked with Dantoni

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    Nate Robinson has finally made it out of Mike D'Antoni's doghouse, but Larry Hughes is still in there. Despite the Knicks blow out win over the Pacers Sunday, Hughes did not get off the bench and he's not happy about it since D'Antoni hasn't told him what his role is.

"It's not a good way to play a season, going back and forth," Hughes told the New York [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. "This is my second or third time now (getting benched). It's getting old."

"It's easy to communicate with a grown man," Hughes said. "It's a long season and you always want to have dialog and talk things out. I definitely want the dialog. Let guys know where they stand and you can voice opinions on both sides. There's nothing wrong with voicing an opinion because they're not facts. It's what you're thinking and how you're feeling. Just to have communication, I think, goes a long way in this league."
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

D'Antoni is a poor communicator, my goodness. Just tell the guy thanks for assembling the "Team Defensive Plan" I no longer have use for u at the moment. u won't be playing....and keep it moving. Hughes is going to call Lebron and tell him what a bastid D'Antoni is. LOL ha ha ha ha

Superstar

Trade him for Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood?

larry hughes is mad? who cares?

Veteran

Originally Posted by knickzrulezH20
    larry hughes is mad? who cares?
    ur right he ain't going to be back next year. Hughes has a point about D'antoni though I think he uses fortune tellers or Haitian voodoo when he figures out who is in the rotation, used to think he was a players coach when I would hear him talk to guys like N8 when he was telling him what great athlete he is. Now I see its just his system and that the players that are lucky enough to be in the lineup like.

I would think Larry Hughes has been in the league long enough to realize that when he is turning the ball over and shotting 29% from the feild during a 4 game span that he is going to probably get yanked out of the rotation!

I think Dantoni figured Hughes was smart enough to figure that one out....Well there is your answer to that one Mike!

Look if I showed up late everyday for a week and turned in choppy work, would I really be suprised if my boss looked past me for the opening position in the company

Just a case of a player with an expiring contract getting nervous about not being able to showcase himself

Veteran

He was shooting 3-22 in his comeback from injury, so, yeah.

Hughes stinks, so does D'Ant. Hughes has said the truth, however. We can't say the same for Manphony. And now, all of you former Hughes supporters will hate him (Hughes).

It's a dark day in D'antonivilla.

KnicksonLIN.com

I agree, Kiyaman. This is the third time that Dyke Manphony has not spoken to the players about their status on the team. First it was with Stephon Marbury, then Nate Robinson, now Larry Hughes.

Granted, Larry Hughes sucks, but D'Antoni gave him minutes for the first two months of the season, despite Hughes' poor shooting performances.

He should have just told him he did not feel he was the right fit for his system.

Originally Posted by abcd
    I agree, Kiyaman. This is the third time that Dyke Manphony has not spoken to the players about their status on the team. First it was with Stephon Marbury, then Nate Robinson, now Larry Hughes.

Granted, Larry Hughes sucks, but D'Antoni gave him minutes for the first two months of the season, despite Hughes' poor shooting performances.

He should have just told him he did not feel he was the right fit for his system.

A coaches job is not to baby sit the egos of his players. Look at Malik Rose, do you think he really got or even wanted an explanation everytime he was not going to play. Sure every player wants to contribute, but as a team player you do what is best for the team.

He sat on the heels of a loss to NJ where he continued his poor shooting and wasnt playing much D , the team beat Atlanta at home next game and blew out Indy two nights later. The team is playing better since him sitting, so he needs to just sit back and shut the hell up!

Not to mention Hughes is assuming he is out of the rotation because he sat two games, I can see if he sat 14 straight! He has not been playing well since his injury and he needs to sit.Again we are 2-0, so why be frustrated, now if we were losing and he felt he could help, then ok I guess

Bottom Line is that Hughes thinks he deserves All Star player type respect.He is extra sensative about getting a contract next season and it is showing.

My theory is that he is trying to force a buyout so he can go somewhere he thinks he is going to get big minutes

Now about the other two examples

Nate was yanked out of the rotation for discplinary purposes, his own actions was his explanation

Steph....lets just leave that one alone!

Hughes is only complaining because he knows, that he won't get more than the MLE next year, but believes he's still worth 10 mils/year (has he ever been?)

And he's benched for the same reason, he sat at season's start: bad shooting!

When coach inserted him into the rotation it was because the team needed a boost on D, an it worked.
    The last couple of games we struggled on O, therefore Nate got his shot and succeeded.
    Beeing a 12year-pro, you shoulda know that you're getting benched when you suck!

And what's really funny: Nate showed much more maturity in the same -or even worse- situation.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by New New York
    A coaches job is not to baby sit the egos of his players. Look at Malik Rose, do you think he really got or even wanted an explanation everytime he was not going to play. Sure every player wants to contribute, but as a team player you do what is best for the team.

He sat on the heels of a loss to NJ where he continued his poor shooting and wasnt playing much D , the team beat Atlanta at home next game and blew out Indy two nights later. The team is playing better since him sitting, so he needs to just sit back and shut the hell up!

Not to mention Hughes is assuming he is out of the rotation because he sat two games, I can see if he sat 14 straight! He has not been playing well since his injury and he needs to sit.Again we are 2-0, so why be frustrated, now if we were losing and he felt he could help, then ok I guess

Bottom Line is that Hughes thinks he deserves All Star player type respect.He is extra sensative about getting a contract next season and it is showing.

My theory is that he is trying to force a buyout so he can go somewhere he thinks he is going to get big minutes

Now about the other two examples

Nate was yanked out of the rotation for discplinary purposes, his own actions was his explanation

Steph....lets just leave that one alone!
    I could care less that Hughes is sitting on the bench. If you read my previous post, I mentioned the fact that he sucks. I am just surprised that D'Antoni would play Hughes and then suddenly bench him. Especially considering the fact that he played poorly for most of the games D'Antoni gave him minutes for. Most coaches would have benched him sooner. That's my point.

lol at you leaving the Steph situation alone. You scared of a potential Starburywar? jk

Nate Robinson was not benched for his actions and you know it. I know you like D'Antnoni, but D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-Damn! D'Antoni clearly benched him because he had something personal against Robinson. You don't compare someone to "Satan" and say that you have "no morals or scruples", if you like them. Walsh obviously must have told him to give Robinson minutes so that they can package him in a deal.
    Last edited by abcd; Jan 06, 2010 at 01:47.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Hughes is going to call Lebron and tell him what a bastid D'Antoni is.
    So that LBJ knows that D'Antoni is not going to talk to him once he is benched?

Veteran

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by abcd
    I could care less that Hughes is sitting on the bench. If you read my previous post, I mentioned the fact that he sucks. I am just surprised that D'Antoni would play Hughes and then suddenly bench him. Especially considering the fact that he played poorly for most of the games D'Antoni gave him minutes for. Most coaches would have benched him sooner. That's my point.

lol at you leaving the Steph situation alone. You scared of a potential Starburywar? jk

Nate Robinson was not benched for his actions and you know it. I know you like D'Antnoni, but D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-Damn! D'Antoni clearly benched him because he had something personal against Robinson. You don't compare someone to "Satan" and say that you have "no morals or scruples", if you like them. Walsh obviously must have told him to give Robinson minutes so that they can package him in a deal.
    My opinion or theory on Nate & Hughes on and off DNP......could start with the "FACT" that the two players know we will need a jellin 3-guard rotation to become a decent playoff team to make the 2nd round. And both probably look at Duhon as their backup. LOL

Nate being Nate, the bold happy guy we seen for the last 4 years probably cursed Dantoni out in one of the practices or something like that.
    Plus Nate sprained angle made Dantoni take Hughes off of DNP.
    And Hughes performance was dynamic in every game he played coming off DNP.....until Hughes pulled a groin injury 19 minutes in the 5th game of our 4 game win streak, a time when we was depending alot on Hughes & Jefferies defense to keep oponents under a 100 points. We loss that 5th game with Hughes getting just 20 minutes of playingtime. Dantoni hav'nt spoke to Hughes since that game. even when he gave him short minutes of playingtime after the injury.

Remember this is just my opinion.....Hughes averaged 33 minutes of playingtime in (all) the 4 game win streak, and Jefferies averaged 25 minutes of playingtime with the majority of Jefferies minutes were in the 2nd half of each game. Their "Tandem" of team-defense rub off on each of their teammates (I fell out my chair when my fav-player David Lee blocked a shot during the 4 game win streak LOL).

I believe.....Nate was released off the DNP (by upstair management) after the Knicks LOSS to the bottomless Nets.
    It reminds me of President/Coach Isiah telling Marbury on the plane he will be coming off the bench after the Knicks LOSS to the 16 win season Miami Heat....Isiah been a PG for to long to make a decision like that to his best friend and favorite Pet-Player. That decision had to come from upstairs-management....which is the reason why Marbury made the u turn in the airport, and Isiah acted like nothing ever happen two days later starting Marbury.

Veteran

The Knicks not making any kind of effort to get Curry, Darko, and Hill into the rotation by giving them suprise minutes here and there in the 2nd quarter of the game. To make them stay fit and prepared throughout the season.
    Also are Irked by Dantoni

We got to remember rookie Toney Douglas looks up to the veteran guards Hughes, Duhon, and Nate, to get as much knowledge as he can to become a full-fledge NBA Guard in the league.
    Dantoni's personal discipline method on veterans Nate & Hughes, while a blind person could see Duhon had a 17 game streak of performing like the NBA King Bum, that we fans fell in luv with rookie PG-Douglas performance above Duhons, that it had us writing we had the steal of the draft.
    Toney Douglas have to be learning that Hughes, Nate, and himself gets DNP for every bad performance Duhon have....just my opinion

Originally Posted by New New York

Actually, part of a coaches job (a good one) is to keep team morale up throughout the season. It's not babysitting. Coaches deal with a lot of different personalities and everyone on the bench wants a chance to play. A good coach communicates with his players and lets them know what the TEAM plan is. Not properly communicating to your players is one of the worst things you can do... especially when you will need their services eventually.

Dantoni appears to be only concerned with his "who's hot now list" and usually ignores the other players until a change is needed. As a coach I would play Hughes every game and make sure he knows what his primary role is on the court. The guy can defend and thats a fact so have him guard the pg in the 4th quarter of a close game to disrupt ball movement... defensive strategy stuff like that.

Hughes has always shot poorly so that's not a valid reason for his benching even in a blowout game. It's just that Damntoni has a 8 or 9 man rotation and sticks to that number. It also doesn't seem that this overrated coach knows how to adjust during the game and sub based on his players' strengths. Granted, the team has been playing better but I still worry about his coachinig skills in close games.