Your David Stern: How do you handle Gilbert?

Starks

Starter
It's a slow day and I can't stop reading about the Gilbert situation. I wanted to here what the rest of ko.com think about this.

Think about it from a league perspective. If you are David Stern, how do you handle this situation. This might be more of an analytical management question than basketball, but since everyone is a gm here, take it up a notch and share how you would respond to this crisis.

Best answer gets an early lead to claim the ko.com award for Executive of the year...

Here's what I would do.

1) Suspend both players until investigation is complete
2) call press conference and annouce suspenions and inform the public that the NBA will cooperate with authorities as much as possible and give them the space to complete investigation by taking both players out of the public eye.
3) Announce that the league will use this incident as a means of change in policy and that this will be the first gun incident under the new policy.
4) Suspend Grunfield for a week citing his irresponsiblity of reporting incident late and allowing his players to bring guns into the workplace
5) In private inform Gilbert that he has shown no ability to appear to be mature and no one has any confidence of him acting like a grown mature adult. For this, he will be fined for every twitter post he makes during investigation process, all to add to one big private penalty fee that will be kept away from media.
6)Once investigation is complete, if its true and a fact that he brought 3 guns into the lockeroom and brandished them to teamates, his contract will be terminated. In addition, he will be suspended for the rest of the season and a free agent in July.
7) Critteron will face a year suspension if it turns out he threw the gun across the room, or worse.
8) Announce new league policy: No Guns in workplace! The penalty is season suspension and right for team to termiate contract.

Because of racial undertones, each incident is magnified in the NBA, so a prompt response is especially needed.

tiger0330

Legend
Something anti-American about suspending anyone until all the facts are known, so I wouldn't suspend anyone just yet. Arenas got suspended for his public displays especially that cowboys and indians act at a game, with his teammates laughing the whole time, that really must have ticked off Stern.

The latest that is being reported is that Arenas left the guns in Crittenten's locker with a note saying "pick one", like in a duel. It's also being reported that Crittenten had a gun of his own that he cocked and started waving around the locker room. With the stories and information just hearsay at this point, I would just focus on getting the most accurate picture of what happened. I don't know if you can empanel a grand jury since no crime was committed but that would help in forming a true picture of what happened because the people that testify would be under oath.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Something anti-American about suspending anyone until all the facts are known, so I wouldn't suspend anyone just yet.

You can suspend Arenas because he admitted to bringing in the guns. That warrants a suspension in my opinion.

I would:

1) Suspend Gilbert on the omission of bringing guns into the workplace, before the antics he displayed.
2) Issue a statement on the NBA full cooperation with authorities.
3) Once the investigations are complete, then punishments would be given out based on the results and what NBA policy states. This could include a team fine.
4) I would rework the policy on weapons at the work place: Guns brought into the work place by a player will be suspended for 82 games, they cannot practice, or join in any team functions. Teams have the right to terminate the contract unless there is a clause that prevents this.
5) I would look over overall security of NBA property and make any necessary changes to improve protection of fans and players a like.
6) I would hold a press conference explaining the policy changes, NBA security, and the NBA's beliefs on guns/weapons.

Starks

Starter
I tell you one thing, I would have absolutley LOVED to see Sterns reaction as he got to his office in the morning, went to ESPN.com and saw Gilbert smiling and dancing away with his "finger guns"

I think it went something like this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Sq-HYGfnIo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Sq-HYGfnIo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

milchshake

Benchwarmer

This guy just heat up the tiresome atmosphere in office. BTW I'll never want to work in such cage like this, people sitting on other people hahaha 1 meter square work space

NBA regulation forbid carrying guns to the locker rooms, buses.... If he violated state law he could even go to the jail.

Last edited:

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
If what Gilbert said was true... 25 game suspension

I think that's fair. If Stephen Jackson got his, what was it?, 50 game suspension for punching a fan full force.... Then carrying a gun should be about the same.

Obviously different politics come in to play with murder weapons though I guess?

If you're in charge of a business with a declining income though...... You'd be pretty pissed.

Wouldn't be surprised if a strict example of punishment ensues.

Starks

Starter
I honestly think Gilbert is going the first player to be fired from the NBA. He'll resurface in Europe in 2 yrs

tiger0330

Legend
Well it looks Gilbert is going to jail. Wojanrawski on Yahoo said the only way the Wiz could invalidate his contract would be if he got jail time. So the Wiz probably can't wait until he's sentenced to start the process. I can't believe he had 4 handguns that weren't registered, what a jackass, he deserves everything he gets.