Arenas to Knicks?

Kiyaman

Legend
What did Arenas do wrong???

Any player that sets the wrong example, to millions of people, by bringing guns into the locker room is a thug.It has nothing to do with his race or ethnicity.If Dirk Nowitzki was walking around the American Airlines Center,before a practice, with a couple of guns hanging out of his back pocket and giving the National Basketball Association a bad name in the process he would be considered a thug as well.

Gilbert Arenas has nobody to blame but himself for his outlandish behavior.He gets paid very well to play a teenager's game but goes ahead and behaves like an adolescent who doesn't have a clue about moral values.And when he gets introuble he goes ahead and takes everything as one big joke.Very typical behavior for an athelte who feels like they could act however they want and get away with it.I wouldn't want a person like that playing for the Knicks.

he missed not 1 but 2 seasons after getting his payday.
And came back playing like Duhon.
That's a NBA crime!!!

Knowing how much money Gilbert Arenas make in one year....he better have and carry "GUNS" in this organized crime country.
Say what u want....about an unknown millionaire, but when u are publically known for making $18M per is a different story.

When Gilbert Arenas received that big contract and huge bonus.....
And did not play B-Ball for two seasons in a row after receiving the money....
That is considered a "Deal gone Bad" in any kind of bussiness.....
Bloody-Robbery....expect the unexpected....cause and effect....conseqences....whatever u want to call it.
Arenas should have known if he crossed at the "RED Light" he was a goner.
Especially if that was my money he been spending "big-time" for two years.

Starting this season, Arenas came out playing like "Duhon", rather than a ($18M per) super-star Kobe Bryant, Lebron, Melo, Deron, CP3, or even Jennings.

When Donnie Walsh stated that (to much) money can change a players performance....Arenas was on his mind...

jimkcchief88

All Star
he missed not 1 but 2 seasons after getting his payday.
And came back playing like Duhon.
That's a NBA crime!!!

Knowing how much money Gilbert Arenas make in one year....he better have and carry "GUNS" in this organized crime country.
Say what u want....about an unknown millionaire, but when u are publically known for making $18M per is a different story.

When Gilbert Arenas received that big contract and huge bonus.....
And did not play B-Ball for two seasons in a row after receiving the money....
That is considered a "Deal gone Bad" in any kind of bussiness.....
Bloody-Robbery....expect the unexpected....cause and effect....conseqences....whatever u want to call it.
Arenas should have known if he crossed at the "RED Light" he was a goner.
Especially if that was my money he been spending "big-time" for two years.

Starting this season, Arenas came out playing like "Duhon", rather than a ($18M per) super-star Kobe Bryant, Lebron, Melo, Deron, CP3, or even Jennings.

When Donnie Walsh stated that (to much) money can change a players performance....Arenas was on his mind...

Post of this young year in my book. If the same thing happened to between two white boys playing for the Texas Rangers, we wouldn't have even heard about this "story". NBA players should be packin' for what they make in this bad economy. Cats are still waiting for Antoine Walker to show his face again on the SouthSide Chicago so they can jack him again. Much ado about nothing in my book.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Gilbert Arenas was averaging 22.6 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 7.2 assists, before he got into the gun incident. Those are All Star numbers.

The Knicks have to make the playoffs, before they can think about becoming a championship team.

Arenas is not a choke artist. I don't blame him for not being able to beat Lebron James' Cavaliers.

Lee>Arenas? Are you serious?

Lee's numbers are highly inflated, due to the fact that nobody else on the Knick front court can rebound or consistently get layups and dunks.

Who on the Knicks, besides Lee, can get rebounds? Jeffries? Harrington? Gallinari? Chandler? None of those guys average more than 5 rebounds.

If Lee was on a winning team, he'd be averaging 12 points and 10 rebounds.

He has tons of hype around him, and he will probably ask for at least 10 million/yr for 4-5 years.

Lee has never led a team to the playoffs and probably never will, so you can't say he's better than Arenas.

Maybe you'd rather keep Lee than trade for Arenas, but that doesn't make him better.

As for Arenas' contract, Lee and Curry combine for 17 million/yr. That is about what Arenas makes.

111/6=18 million

Those numbers are nice bro, but Arenas was a turnover machine, and he had a low field goal percentage. He was a poor man's Monta Ellis this year thats all. You could see the difference ever since that knee injury.

And Agent Zero lost to a young Lebron James. Arenas had Antwawn Jamison, Caron Butler, and Brendan Haywood. Bron Bron had Anderson Varejao? Remeber Mo Williams wasn't even on the team in the first couple series. No doubt Arenas had a better team, and remember when he chocked on the foul line in those playoffs? Arenas blew that game and allowed the Cavs to win.

And yea I still think Lee is better than Arenas right now. Lee has transformed his game this year with his jump shot. And Lee is no idiot like Arenas.

And 6 years 111 million does not mean he'll be getting 18 mil every year. The number on the cap will keep going up, so soon he'll be making in the 20's for the last two years of his contract. Do we really want to pay an injury prone guy that much money? I love Allan Houston as a player, but his contract killed us for YEARS. Arenas's contract is a franchise killer. I want no part of it. That is my main argument against Arenas.

Now if the Wiz void his contract, and then we sign him to MLE or something, that's fine i guess. But I DONT want to give up Lee, or pay this guy 18-22 mill per year. But remember it's highly unlikely that his contract gets voided.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Too much money and too long a commitment for an aging, injury prone all star. This would be a classic Isiah move...hence one we should easily look past. If we were a contender and could add him as a final piece I may be willing to consider taking on his massive contract...now, definitely not!

pat

Starter
And yea I still think Lee is better than Arenas right now. Lee has transformed his game this year with his jump shot. And Lee is no idiot like Arenas.

I wouldn't say that he's an idiot. He's mental. Remember that 23-sit-p/push-up, chin-up thing he used to do before playing against MJ?

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Those numbers are nice bro, but Arenas was a turnover machine, and he had a low field goal percentage. He was a poor man's Monta Ellis this year thats all. You could see the difference ever since that knee injury.

And Agent Zero lost to a young Lebron James. Arenas had Antwawn Jamison, Caron Butler, and Brendan Haywood. Bron Bron had Anderson Varejao? Remeber Mo Williams wasn't even on the team in the first couple series. No doubt Arenas had a better team, and remember when he chocked on the foul line in those playoffs? Arenas blew that game and allowed the Cavs to win.

And 6 years 111 million does not mean he'll be getting 18 mil every year. The number on the cap will keep going up, so soon he'll be making in the 20's for the last two years of his contract. Do we really want to pay an injury prone guy that much money? I love Allan Houston as a player, but his contract killed us for YEARS. Arenas's contract is a franchise killer. I want no part of it. That is my main argument against Arenas.

Now if the Wiz void his contract, and then we sign him to MLE or something, that's fine i guess. But I DONT want to give up Lee, or pay this guy 18-22 mill per year. But remember it's highly unlikely that his contract gets voided.

When Gilbert Arenas's Wizards played against the Cavaliers, the Wizards were at a huge disadvantage.

1. The Cavs had home court advantage.
2. The Cavs had Lebron James(the best small forward in the NBA, at the time) and Zydrunas Ilgauskas(An All Star center).
3. Brendan Haywood was nowhere near the level of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, in 2005-2006. Haywood was averaging 7.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 1 block.
Ilgauskas was averaging 15.6 point, 7.6 rebounds, and 1.7 blocks.
4. The Cavs had better supporting players than the Wizards. They had Anderson Varajo, Drew Gooden(11 points, 8.7 rebounds),
Ronald Murray(13.5 points per game), and Donyell Marshall(9.3 points, 6 rebounds).
The Wizards had Etan Thomas(4.7 points per game), Deshawn Stevenson(11 points per game), and Jared Jeffries
5. If you would rather re-sign Lee for 10-12 million/yr for 4-5 years and keep Curry's remaining 23 million dollars, that's fine. But you can't say Lee is better than Arenas.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
When Gilbert Arenas's Wizards played against the Cavaliers, the Wizards were at a huge disadvantage.

1. The Cavs had home court advantage.
2. The Cavs had Lebron James(the best small forward in the NBA, at the time) and Zydrunas Ilgauskas(An All Star center).
3. Brendan Haywood was nowhere near the level of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, in 2005-2006. Haywood was averaging 7.3 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 1 block.
Ilgauskas was averaging 15.6 point, 7.6 rebounds, and 1.7 blocks.
4. The Cavs had better supporting players than the Wizards. They had Anderson Varajo, Drew Gooden(11 points, 8.7 rebounds),
Ronald Murray(13.5 points per game), and Donyell Marshall(9.3 points, 6 rebounds).
The Wizards had Etan Thomas(4.7 points per game), Deshawn Stevenson(11 points per game), and Jared Jeffries
5. If you would rather re-sign Lee for 10-12 million/yr for 4-5 years and keep Curry's remaining 23 million dollars, that's fine. But you can't say Lee is better than Arenas.

I respect your opinion but I still would take D-lee. And to me Jamison+Butler were better than all of the Cavs role players back then. Z was ight i guess, he wasn't anything special. And Stevenson and Jeffries were good defenders back then.

metrocard

Legend
ABCD is my dude, but I'll take David Lee over Arenas.

IMO, Arenas is bleh. I don't know how to explain it, but he's Iversonish, has to be the best on his team, take the most shots, thats his role. He's not that good to fill that role IMO. Guys like AI, Ellis, and Arenas should come off the bench.

Starks

Starter
I wouldn't say that he's an idiot. He's mental. Remember that 23-sit-p/push-up, chin-up thing he used to do before playing against MJ?

He really is slow. With all of the coverage and investigation on Gilbert, its becoming apparent that he just isn't as mentally stable an individual should be at his age.

It's not surprising though. He is a classic case of bipolar disorder. But there's no rule that bars special ed children from playing basketball, and thankfully for Gilbert this was true. He said himself that if it wasn't for basketball he would be flipping burgers for a living.

His constant habit for trying to make a joke out of everything has always been a coping mechanism for him to deflect his personal issues people close to him say. It just didn't work this time and now he is headed for jail.

Also, there is very few Wizard fans upset to see him go. If anything, many seem to feel relieved. That says a lot about this nutcase.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
He really is slow. With all of the coverage and investigation on Gilbert, its becoming apparent that he just isn't as mentally stable an individual should be at his age.

It's not surprising though. He is a classic case of bipolar disorder. But there's no rule that bars special ed children from playing basketball, and thankfully for Gilbert this was true. He said himself that if it wasn't for basketball he would be flipping burgers for a living.

His constant habit for trying to make a joke out of everything has always been a coping mechanism for him to deflect his personal issues people close to him say. It just didn't work this time and now he is headed for jail.

Also, there is very few Wizard fans upset to see him go. If anything, many seem to feel relieved. That says a lot about this nutcase.

I don't think he's a "nutcase". No doubt this incident really puts him in a bad light. I feel hes an idiot, not "mental" not a "nutcase". But your def right when you say hes sloww. I mean why would you ever try to provoke David Stern like he did?? He seemed doomed from the start after the incident.

Ernie Grunfield should never have given this guy that contract anyway. You have to wonder what goes through a GM's mind when they pay a guy that much money. Thats Kobe Bryant money. That's Lebron James money. I know he was good before the injury but he wasn't that good. The Wiz deserve to rot with his contract, they're the idiots who gave him that much money.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
No way

Well, we did accept Sprewell after he showed what he can do.The biggest problem with this trade is there is no guarantee that LeBron is signing with the Knicks.I rather this team make no big moves for a year or two then taking unnecessary risks.

Hughes and Lebron are very close, Lebron asked Hughes to come to Cleveland or lets put it, he told Cleveland Management, and play the 2 guard. Hughes lost his only brother, from a heart transplant and almost lost his wife to a brain aynuerism (SP) in his time there, to tired to look up the correct spelling. Then Brown put him at the point, because he was the best they had when they promised he would only play the 2 guard. They went to the finals, but Hughes just had to many bad life experiences. Lebron is getting press by dropping NY, what other team would give you more press, but he wants a ring more. The surrounding cast do we have that Cleveland doesn't. Plus, with D'Ant, he will not be playing a home game at MSG.
Who is the pg, who is number two guard, Chandler stays, Gallo Stays, where is the 7 footer that can play in the finals like Shaq will? Nobody to attract, way too many deals to compete with 29 other teams that want to get better.
Everyone thinks all the other teams stay the same or get worse, they don't, most get better.

dpryde

Benchwarmer
If Arenas wasn't making so much goddamn money, I wouldn't be against this. Problem is his contract is garguantuan. Who the hell would pay Gilbert Arenas 111 million $$$? Just stupid from the beginning, I'm pretty sure every analyst and smart NBA fan knew this guy would become the next C-Webb after he signed off to that contract. How right we were

tiger0330

Legend

I expect the Wiz to get his contract voided. There's a good chance that he serves some jail time since he has a prior misdemeanor gun charge on his record, his actions after the incident and the recommendation that he should serve no more than 6 months rather than a recommendation for probation. Don't see how the players union can argue that being in jail for a felony is not a violation of the morals clause in his contract.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
I expect the Wiz to get his contract voided. There's a good chance that he serves some jail time since he has a prior misdemeanor gun charge on his record, his actions after the incident and the recommendation that he should serve no more than 6 months rather than a recommendation for probation. Don't see how the players union can argue that being in jail for a felony is not a violation of the morals clause in his contract.

I read about this possibility today. That would create another NYK potential cap space opponent threat. I assume that if Arenas' contract were voided, Washington would be thanking their lucky stars.

It was pretty ridiculous to sign him to a max contract whilst he was injured and inactive for a full season.

I hope that in desperation to have something to show this off-season, that Donnie Walsh doesn't throw out a mind boggling contract to someone who either doesn't deserve it, or for any other reasons, just shouldn't get it.

And is there really a morals contract?

tiger0330

Legend
I read about this possibility today. That would create another NYK potential cap space opponent threat. I assume that if Arenas' contract were voided, Washington would be thanking their lucky stars.

It was pretty ridiculous to sign him to a max contract whilst he was injured and inactive for a full season.

I hope that in desperation to have something to show this off-season, that Donnie Walsh doesn't throw out a mind boggling contract to someone who either doesn't deserve it, or for any other reasons, just shouldn't get it.

And is there really a morals contract?
Found this describing the morals clause in an NBA contract, just mentions the felony so Arenas doesn't have to go to jail to have his contract voided.

There is probably ambivalence on voiding his contract. He's having a pretty good year for a guy that hasn't played but the team is not winning and they might not have him for next season either depending on how long Stern suspends him for. So all in all, I imagine the logical business decision is to try to void his contract, funny thing is Arenas and his agent don't think the Wiz can or won't void his contract so there is plenty of politics involved like is it worth getting embroiled in a long legal battle that might not work in your favor. The Warriors voided Sprewell's contract when he strangled PJ Carlisimo only to have an arbitrator reinstate his contract later, can you imagine if the Wiz sign a big name FA to a 60M deal and then find out they still owe Gil's 80M.

The language in the NBA's standard contract with players allows teams to void existing contracts if players engage in prohibited offseason activities, such as hang gliding and the like that are viewed as dangerous by the league, if players are convicted of or plead guilty to a felony crime, or if they engage in acts of "moral turpitude," generally defined as behavior that would be viewed as embarrassing for a company or employer if disclosed publicly.

paris401

Starter
latrell only choked his coach... don't even think he was even arrested , hence no voiding of his contract... but a guilty plea for a felony... wave bye bye to your 60/70m $$$$....

as to who is better gilbert or lee... i thought they play diff positions... should u not compare apples to apples...