Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: What if we get nobody?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default What if we get nobody?

    If Jeffries is not traded by Feb 18th, then everything falls apart. We will not have enough cap space to sign a max + Lee (or any player worthy of what Lee will be asking). This inturn will mean a max will not sign at all. All of the other teams with max cap space will have better rosters/situations than the Knicks.

    Donnie is defintely not going with Plan B (i.e. trade expiring contracts now and build a team now). The plan is Lebron or bust.

    So, there is a very, very high possibility where the Knicks just resign everybody this offseason and have virtually the same team next year. Give Lee $10 mil, give Harrington $8 mil, give Duhon $5 mil, etc. Then use the $18 mil in cap space in 2011 when Jeffries and Curry expire. To sign who, I don't know (Mello and CP3 are not available, contrary to popular belief).

    This scenario has a higher probability of being reality vs. Lebron coming to the Knicks.

    Is this acceptable to everyone? Was tanking 2 seasons, possibly a 3rd for 2011 cap space worth it?

    I'm curious to see how many people are ok with this.

  2. #2
    Superstar Scribbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    607
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Meh, the 2010 plan is just a ploy to keep Knicks fans waiting and not burning down MSG.

  3. #3
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I know CP3 signed an extension but Melo didn't afaik? Unless it happened recently he's still listed as having a player option in 2011.

  4. #4
    Veteran Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    1,472
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Thats the doomsday scenario i've been avoiding thinking about for the past 3 years

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,665
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    i've been asking this question for months now.... donnie... if plan A (signing 'bron, or wade) does'nt pan out... what is plan B... or is there a plan B..????

  6. #6
    Veteran ANU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,068
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    if i was donnie, i'd be doing everything possible short of dealing gallo and hill(but if need be, i'd have to deal hill though it would suck) to get our pick back from the jazz(chandler, douglas, lee?) and try to get another pick or young player with al harrington (bulls top 5 protected?)

    then i'd tank like a muthu****a for wall.**** it.it doesn't work most of the time, but the spurs got lucky one year right?

    that would be a lovely fall back option if plan a, b, c d, e and g in james doesn't come through.

    plan f is wait a year for melo.

  7. #7
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Lets remember that 2011 has some studs too. If we had to resign Lee and play the same team waiting for 2011 it would suck but not be horrible.

  8. #8
    Veteran p0nder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Lots of options open to use. Lots of money to spend. curry and jefferies are expiring next year.

    I am not into panic mode yet, but certainly the injury to curry sets us back some, but not to a point where the 2010 plan is not salvageable. Still my daddy always taught me to have a plan B. and i think plan B is sign 1 max FA this offseason and trade expiring contracts next year, get a good player, or simply sign FA in the offseason.

    There are too many options and opportunities for the knicks for this to fail.... have faith. Donnie Walsh is a smart guy.

  9. #9
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Melo does have a player option for 2011. But is that really what we signed up for? Hoping Melo turns down $18.5 mil to sign with the Knicks? I don't like that option and seems too risky.

    @ANU: We're not getting Wall. Give it up. There is no way we are getting him. Accept reality and think of another option for PG next year.

    I do agree with you that Donnie should be doing whatever it takes. He can't just sit back and hope Lebron comes this July. He needs to to get rid of Jeffries, or at least start with Plan B. Time is running out.

  10. #10
    Veteran GetRealistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,370
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    If Jeffries is not traded by Feb 18th, then everything falls apart. We will not have enough cap space to sign a max + Lee (or any player worthy of what Lee will be asking). This inturn will mean a max will not sign at all. All of the other teams with max cap space will have better rosters/situations than the Knicks.

    Donnie is defintely not going with Plan B (i.e. trade expiring contracts now and build a team now). The plan is Lebron or bust.

    So, there is a very, very high possibility where the Knicks just resign everybody this offseason and have virtually the same team next year. Give Lee $10 mil, give Harrington $8 mil, give Duhon $5 mil, etc. Then use the $18 mil in cap space in 2011 when Jeffries and Curry expire. To sign who, I don't know (Mello and CP3 are not available, contrary to popular belief).

    This scenario has a higher probability of being reality vs. Lebron coming to the Knicks.

    Is this acceptable to everyone? Was tanking 2 seasons, possibly a 3rd for 2011 cap space worth it?

    I'm curious to see how many people are ok with this.
    The fact of the matter is Layden, Dolan, and Thomas set this franchise back 10 years with all the poor decisions they made. AT this point Donnie Walsh has very little options. Maybe its just me but i haven't read any creditable rumor that has teams knocking down the Knicks doors when it comes to the players on our team. We can't have a plan B when nobody in the league wants any of our players. Could we possibly trade David Lee? Yes but at this point it really wouldn't get us all that much.

    The goal is to win a Championship not to be the Atlanta Hawks... The Hawks are a high quality team but the fact remains they won't be winning a a Championship team any time soon. We've been a quality team in the past. Maybe i'm just speaking for myself but i don't want to just be the 90's Knicks that were great teams that couldn't get over the top, i want to be the next dynasty in the NBA and win TITLES not just make the playoffs and be a contender.

    Right now all the plan B's bring us slightly above average players that would make us better but not good enough. The NBA is a star driven league and you need atleast one SUPERSTAR to win. So maybe Lebron James doesn't sign in NY but i tell you what i'd rather have a 15% chance at signing Lebron at the opening of free agency this summer then going for plan B and having 0 % chance at landing him. And if he doesn't sign here then you can begin to explore options to rebuild this team another way but until Lebron offically signs with another team my #1 goal is to find a way to sign him and if finishing the season with this roster gives us a chance to sign him then thats the way we have to go.

    I"m not going to lie and say i think Lebron coming here is a sure thing but i'm not nearily as pessimestic as some posters. There are a few reasons why he may leave Cleveland and come to NY.

    1. If Cleveland... Fails to win another Championship (highly likely in my mind) what is really keeping him in Cleveland? Lebron James in the biggest name in sports but due to playing in Cleveland he's only been able to talk players like Larry Hughes into joing him.... He couldn't even talk Trevor Ariza into coming to Cleveland. Say what you want about the Knicks recent history but having Mike D'Antoni, Donnie Walsh, and the city of NY as selling points are going to be a major factor. With Walsh and D'Antoni you have a stability in the front office and the city of NY speaks for atleast.

    2. Whose says Lebron won't take less then the max. Lebron is a business man. He's smart he knows by playing in a bigger market he'll make more money they'll he'll know what to do with. Whose to say Lebron won't take a nice 3 year deal and then do his big extension in the summer of 2012/2013 when the contracts of Curry, and Jefferies are long gone.

    3. Sticking with the business man side. Playing in New York makes him even more of a global icon and gets him more money. People like money

    4. Talent wise the Cavs and Knicks are pretty equal. Say what you want be a young core of Hill, Douglas, Chandler, and Gallo is as good if nto better then the core of Cavs after this season. Lebron is good enough to make the players around him better.

    5. I know this is going to sound like i'm Kiyaman.. But we've all heard the theories that Bosh and Lebron made an agreement to play together at the Olympics. And if thats the case they both realized then that getting two max contracts from teams wasn't going to happen. Just another reason why i think max money isn't there nobody one priority. They look around the league and realize if you don't have atleast two stars (Celtics, Lakers) your not going to win. These types of players want to win and would be willing to take a discount if it helped them win.

    6. If say we just sign Lebron i'm sure players like Harrington and Lee (who have been through the bad times) would be more then happy to take a hometown discount.

    7.. the 2011 option. Again Lebron is well aware that if Jefferies and Curry can't be traded their contracts come off the books in 2011. Maybe we can't win a 2010 Championship with just Lebron but we'd be a good enough to be a solid playoff team. Also come free agency 2011 would their be a more dynamic recruiting team then Lebron and NYC.

    8... Once the free agency dust settles teams will start planning for the summer of 2011. And when that happens the contracts of JJ and Curry become valuable. You can land a very solid supporting cast by dangling those two big expiring contracts.

    To sum it up, we may not get Lebron..... But come this summer I atleast want to be in a position to possibly get him.... Save plan B until then.

  11. #11
    Member BlackH20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Avon, Colorado, deep in the Rockies, played ball in St. Louis
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by GetRealistic
    The fact of the matter is Layden, Dolan, and Thomas set this franchise back 10 years with all the poor decisions they made. AT this point Donnie Walsh has very little options. Maybe its just me but i haven't read any creditable rumor that has teams knocking down the Knicks doors when it comes to the players on our team. We can't have a plan B when nobody in the league wants any of our players. Could we possibly trade David Lee? Yes but at this point it really wouldn't get us all that much.

    The goal is to win a Championship not to be the Atlanta Hawks... The Hawks are a high quality team but the fact remains they won't be winning a a Championship team any time soon. We've been a quality team in the past. Maybe i'm just speaking for myself but i don't want to just be the 90's Knicks that were great teams that couldn't get over the top, i want to be the next dynasty in the NBA and win TITLES not just make the playoffs and be a contender.

    Right now all the plan B's bring us slightly above average players that would make us better but not good enough. The NBA is a star driven league and you need atleast one SUPERSTAR to win. So maybe Lebron James doesn't sign in NY but i tell you what i'd rather have a 15% chance at signing Lebron at the opening of free agency this summer then going for plan B and having 0 % chance at landing him. And if he doesn't sign here then you can begin to explore options to rebuild this team another way but until Lebron offically signs with another team my #1 goal is to find a way to sign him and if finishing the season with this roster gives us a chance to sign him then thats the way we have to go.

    I"m not going to lie and say i think Lebron coming here is a sure thing but i'm not nearily as pessimestic as some posters. There are a few reasons why he may leave Cleveland and come to NY.

    1. If Cleveland... Fails to win another Championship (highly likely in my mind) what is really keeping him in Cleveland? Lebron James in the biggest name in sports but due to playing in Cleveland he's only been able to talk players like Larry Hughes into joing him.... He couldn't even talk Trevor Ariza into coming to Cleveland. Say what you want about the Knicks recent history but having Mike D'Antoni, Donnie Walsh, and the city of NY as selling points are going to be a major factor. With Walsh and D'Antoni you have a stability in the front office and the city of NY speaks for atleast.

    2. Whose says Lebron won't take less then the max. Lebron is a business man. He's smart he knows by playing in a bigger market he'll make more money they'll he'll know what to do with. Whose to say Lebron won't take a nice 3 year deal and then do his big extension in the summer of 2012/2013 when the contracts of Curry, and Jefferies are long gone.

    3. Sticking with the business man side. Playing in New York makes him even more of a global icon and gets him more money. People like money

    4. Talent wise the Cavs and Knicks are pretty equal. Say what you want be a young core of Hill, Douglas, Chandler, and Gallo is as good if nto better then the core of Cavs after this season. Lebron is good enough to make the players around him better.

    5. I know this is going to sound like i'm Kiyaman.. But we've all heard the theories that Bosh and Lebron made an agreement to play together at the Olympics. And if thats the case they both realized then that getting two max contracts from teams wasn't going to happen. Just another reason why i think max money isn't there nobody one priority. They look around the league and realize if you don't have atleast two stars (Celtics, Lakers) your not going to win. These types of players want to win and would be willing to take a discount if it helped them win.

    6. If say we just sign Lebron i'm sure players like Harrington and Lee (who have been through the bad times) would be more then happy to take a hometown discount.

    7.. the 2011 option. Again Lebron is well aware that if Jefferies and Curry can't be traded their contracts come off the books in 2011. Maybe we can't win a 2010 Championship with just Lebron but we'd be a good enough to be a solid playoff team. Also come free agency 2011 would their be a more dynamic recruiting team then Lebron and NYC.

    8... Once the free agency dust settles teams will start planning for the summer of 2011. And when that happens the contracts of JJ and Curry become valuable. You can land a very solid supporting cast by dangling those two big expiring contracts.

    To sum it up, we may not get Lebron..... But come this summer I atleast want to be in a position to possibly get him.... Save plan B until then.
    One, the Knicks do not have a team near what Lebron does now.
    Duhon vs. MO? come on
    Lee (if center) versus Iggy and Shaq this year?
    Chandler Varijo good
    Delonte West _maybe prison with Arenas

    Hughes and Lebron are tight, he won't play for D'Ant, and here is where the coach tried so be tough guy, was not looking ahead, but the Knicks are going to pay the price, not these players. This year is going to HAUNT him also an his next gig is not going to be too easy, not the talent like Phoenix, but as Barkley said, he will follow money, not titles. That is not want Lebron wants.

  12. #12
    Veteran TunerAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,183
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I never thought we'd sign LeBron or anyone really...

    I just kinda thought it'd be good to be under the cap so we can actually get decent players and rebuild over time.

  13. #13
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I don't see the Knicks getting Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Joe Johnson, or any of the top free agents in 2010.

    Walsh has made a lot of bad decisions, since coming to the Knicks, and I doubt any of the top free agents would take a chance on a rebuilding Knick team.

    Walsh still has a chance to redeem himself, if he can trade or sign a good shooter at shooting guard and a good defender at center, but that is a big if.

  14. #14
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    I don't see the Knicks getting Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Joe Johnson, or any of the top free agents in 2010.

    Walsh has made a lot of bad decisions, since coming to the Knicks, and I doubt any of the top free agents would take a chance on a rebuilding Knick team.

    Walsh still has a chance to redeem himself, if he can trade or sign a good shooter at shooting guard and a good defender at center, but that is a big if.
    I guess it depends who goes looking for the big payday. If all of those guys went looking then we are bound to land someone. But no guarantees that will happen. To be honest I hope it doesn't get to the stage where we are settling for Amare or Joe Johnson because they are not game winners on their own. Both of them got solid supporting casts and still can't get deep into the playoffs. It really is Lebron (or Wade) or bust!

  15. #15
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    I guess it depends who goes looking for the big payday. If all of those guys went looking then we are bound to land someone. But no guarantees that will happen. To be honest I hope it doesn't get to the stage where we are settling for Amare or Joe Johnson because they are not game winners on their own. Both of them got solid supporting casts and still can't get deep into the playoffs. It really is Lebron (or Wade) or bust!
    I want the Knicks to get Dwyane Wade. Wade > Lebron, in my opinion. But either of those guys would be great.

    Amare Stoudamire would be good, but he is injury prone. That's the only reason why I don't think the Knicks should sign him for a max contract.

    Joe Johnson is one of my favorite NBA players, so if the Knicks were to sign him, I'd be glad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •