What if we get nobody?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If Jeffries is not traded by Feb 18th, then everything falls apart. We will not have enough cap space to sign a max + Lee (or any player worthy of what Lee will be asking). This inturn will mean a max will not sign at all. All of the other teams with max cap space will have better rosters/situations than the Knicks.

Donnie is defintely not going with Plan B (i.e. trade expiring contracts now and build a team now). The plan is Lebron or bust.

So, there is a very, very high possibility where the Knicks just resign everybody this offseason and have virtually the same team next year. Give Lee $10 mil, give Harrington $8 mil, give Duhon $5 mil, etc. Then use the $18 mil in cap space in 2011 when Jeffries and Curry expire. To sign who, I don't know (Mello and CP3 are not available, contrary to popular belief).

This scenario has a higher probability of being reality vs. Lebron coming to the Knicks.

Is this acceptable to everyone? Was tanking 2 seasons, possibly a 3rd for 2011 cap space worth it?

I'm curious to see how many people are ok with this.

smokes

Huge Member
I know CP3 signed an extension but Melo didn't afaik? Unless it happened recently he's still listed as having a player option in 2011.

paris401

Starter
i've been asking this question for months now.... donnie... if plan A (signing 'bron, or wade) does'nt pan out... what is plan B... or is there a plan B..????

ANU

Starter
if i was donnie, i'd be doing everything possible short of dealing gallo and hill(but if need be, i'd have to deal hill though it would suck) to get our pick back from the jazz(chandler, douglas, lee?) and try to get another pick or young player with al harrington (bulls top 5 protected?)

then i'd tank like a muthu****a for wall.**** it.it doesn't work most of the time, but the spurs got lucky one year right?

that would be a lovely fall back option if plan a, b, c d, e and g in james doesn't come through.

plan f is wait a year for melo.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Lets remember that 2011 has some studs too. If we had to resign Lee and play the same team waiting for 2011 it would suck but not be horrible.

p0nder

Starter
Lots of options open to use. Lots of money to spend. curry and jefferies are expiring next year.

I am not into panic mode yet, but certainly the injury to curry sets us back some, but not to a point where the 2010 plan is not salvageable. Still my daddy always taught me to have a plan B. and i think plan B is sign 1 max FA this offseason and trade expiring contracts next year, get a good player, or simply sign FA in the offseason.

There are too many options and opportunities for the knicks for this to fail.... have faith. Donnie Walsh is a smart guy.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Melo does have a player option for 2011. But is that really what we signed up for? Hoping Melo turns down $18.5 mil to sign with the Knicks? I don't like that option and seems too risky.

@ANU: We're not getting Wall. Give it up. There is no way we are getting him. Accept reality and think of another option for PG next year.

I do agree with you that Donnie should be doing whatever it takes. He can't just sit back and hope Lebron comes this July. He needs to to get rid of Jeffries, or at least start with Plan B. Time is running out.

ANU

Starter
Melo does have a player option for 2011. But is that really what we signed up for? Hoping Melo turns down $18.5 mil to sign with the Knicks? I don't like that option and seems too risky.

@ANU: We're not getting Wall. Give it up. There is no way we are getting him. Accept reality and think of another option for PG next year.

I do agree with you that Donnie should be doing whatever it takes. He can't just sit back and hope Lebron comes this July. He needs to to get rid of Jeffries, or at least start with Plan B. Time is running out.
tell me where i said we were?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
and i think plan B is sign 1 max FA this offseason and trade expiring contracts next year, get a good player, or simply sign FA in the offseason.

And herein lies my problem. Which max free agent would sign to the Knicks if Jeffries is not traded? Why would a max free agent leave their current team or not sign with Miami, Chicago or New Jersey, to sign to a Knick roster consisting of Jeffries, Curry, Douglas, Hill, Chandler and Gallo?

Please explain. And "because it's New York" is not a good enough answer.

smokes

Huge Member
Thing is I have a bit of trouble with Walsh's dealings, he's supposed to be one of the best GM's in the league yet we have plenty of contracts with value this year and there doesn't seem to be much being done about them. Can't judge things yet of course as there's still a month to go but there have been rumour's about Hughes being bought out, when he has a 12 million expiring... If we aren't trading Jefferies/Curry we should make the most of those expirings and trade for good value players with contracts that end in 2011. We can improve our team and still have a shot at signing Lebron or go with what we end up with for 2011 and dump salary then. It's getting nervy.

GetRealistic

Starter
If Jeffries is not traded by Feb 18th, then everything falls apart. We will not have enough cap space to sign a max + Lee (or any player worthy of what Lee will be asking). This inturn will mean a max will not sign at all. All of the other teams with max cap space will have better rosters/situations than the Knicks.

Donnie is defintely not going with Plan B (i.e. trade expiring contracts now and build a team now). The plan is Lebron or bust.

So, there is a very, very high possibility where the Knicks just resign everybody this offseason and have virtually the same team next year. Give Lee $10 mil, give Harrington $8 mil, give Duhon $5 mil, etc. Then use the $18 mil in cap space in 2011 when Jeffries and Curry expire. To sign who, I don't know (Mello and CP3 are not available, contrary to popular belief).

This scenario has a higher probability of being reality vs. Lebron coming to the Knicks.

Is this acceptable to everyone? Was tanking 2 seasons, possibly a 3rd for 2011 cap space worth it?

I'm curious to see how many people are ok with this.

The fact of the matter is Layden, Dolan, and Thomas set this franchise back 10 years with all the poor decisions they made. AT this point Donnie Walsh has very little options. Maybe its just me but i haven't read any creditable rumor that has teams knocking down the Knicks doors when it comes to the players on our team. We can't have a plan B when nobody in the league wants any of our players. Could we possibly trade David Lee? Yes but at this point it really wouldn't get us all that much.

The goal is to win a Championship not to be the Atlanta Hawks... The Hawks are a high quality team but the fact remains they won't be winning a a Championship team any time soon. We've been a quality team in the past. Maybe i'm just speaking for myself but i don't want to just be the 90's Knicks that were great teams that couldn't get over the top, i want to be the next dynasty in the NBA and win TITLES not just make the playoffs and be a contender.

Right now all the plan B's bring us slightly above average players that would make us better but not good enough. The NBA is a star driven league and you need atleast one SUPERSTAR to win. So maybe Lebron James doesn't sign in NY but i tell you what i'd rather have a 15% chance at signing Lebron at the opening of free agency this summer then going for plan B and having 0 % chance at landing him. And if he doesn't sign here then you can begin to explore options to rebuild this team another way but until Lebron offically signs with another team my #1 goal is to find a way to sign him and if finishing the season with this roster gives us a chance to sign him then thats the way we have to go.

I"m not going to lie and say i think Lebron coming here is a sure thing but i'm not nearily as pessimestic as some posters. There are a few reasons why he may leave Cleveland and come to NY.

1. If Cleveland... Fails to win another Championship (highly likely in my mind) what is really keeping him in Cleveland? Lebron James in the biggest name in sports but due to playing in Cleveland he's only been able to talk players like Larry Hughes into joing him.... He couldn't even talk Trevor Ariza into coming to Cleveland. Say what you want about the Knicks recent history but having Mike D'Antoni, Donnie Walsh, and the city of NY as selling points are going to be a major factor. With Walsh and D'Antoni you have a stability in the front office and the city of NY speaks for atleast.

2. Whose says Lebron won't take less then the max. Lebron is a business man. He's smart he knows by playing in a bigger market he'll make more money they'll he'll know what to do with. Whose to say Lebron won't take a nice 3 year deal and then do his big extension in the summer of 2012/2013 when the contracts of Curry, and Jefferies are long gone.

3. Sticking with the business man side. Playing in New York makes him even more of a global icon and gets him more money. People like money

4. Talent wise the Cavs and Knicks are pretty equal. Say what you want be a young core of Hill, Douglas, Chandler, and Gallo is as good if nto better then the core of Cavs after this season. Lebron is good enough to make the players around him better.

5. I know this is going to sound like i'm Kiyaman.. But we've all heard the theories that Bosh and Lebron made an agreement to play together at the Olympics. And if thats the case they both realized then that getting two max contracts from teams wasn't going to happen. Just another reason why i think max money isn't there nobody one priority. They look around the league and realize if you don't have atleast two stars (Celtics, Lakers) your not going to win. These types of players want to win and would be willing to take a discount if it helped them win.

6. If say we just sign Lebron i'm sure players like Harrington and Lee (who have been through the bad times) would be more then happy to take a hometown discount.

7.. the 2011 option. Again Lebron is well aware that if Jefferies and Curry can't be traded their contracts come off the books in 2011. Maybe we can't win a 2010 Championship with just Lebron but we'd be a good enough to be a solid playoff team. Also come free agency 2011 would their be a more dynamic recruiting team then Lebron and NYC.

8... Once the free agency dust settles teams will start planning for the summer of 2011. And when that happens the contracts of JJ and Curry become valuable. You can land a very solid supporting cast by dangling those two big expiring contracts.

To sum it up, we may not get Lebron..... But come this summer I atleast want to be in a position to possibly get him.... Save plan B until then.

p0nder

Starter
And herein lies my problem. Which max free agent would sign to the Knicks if Jeffries is not traded? Why would a max free agent leave their current team or not sign with Miami, Chicago or New Jersey, to sign to a Knick roster consisting of Jeffries, Curry, Douglas, Hill, Chandler and Gallo?

Please explain. And "because it's New York" is not a good enough answer.

The Team/City that has the edge here is Miami. With Wade as an assest and seemingly pretty happy in Miami you can ascertain that he will remain there and perhaps he will sway another max FA to go there with him. Still, that leaves at least 1 Max FA out there. Assuming that both Bosh and Lebron want to get out of their current clubs, then New york or Miami is the answer for them. Knowing that neither team is going to have enough cash for all 3 of these players at least 1 player is going to be looking for a big market team.

The Knicks have been actively building themselves into a team that is made for a superstar to come in and take over. We have the money, the personnel, the biggest market and have been working on the vision of 2010 and beyond for longer then any other team.

I see Curry and Jeffereies as non-factors on the team. Either to be traded or let go after next season. That leaves us with (probably) Lee, Gallo, Chandler, Hill and Douglas. That is a young, versatile, potential filled core. D'antoni is a well liked coach with a proven success story in Phoenix. President Donnie Walsh is famous for the job he did with the Indiana Pacers and turning them into a power house.

Simply put we are the best situated team for the FA's going into 2010.

We should land at least one of the FA's. We are also positioned for 2011 free agency as well. To an FA that means we will improve dramatically in 2010 and then potentially even more in 2011. Pretty enticeing if you ask me.

:gony:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If Jeffries is not traded, we cannot afford Lee and a max. Unless Lee is willing to take around $6 mil. I don't think he will do that. I don't think any max player is going to sign with the Knicks if Jeffries is not traded.

I'm not sure everybody realizes what I'm saying.

If Jeffries is not traded = No max player = we just resign our current roster.

I get the feeling some of you are ok with that and some of you are not. I'm not sure. It seems that some of you are saying we'll get a max player and that's that.

It may not happen. This is a very likely scenario. We may be only able to resign our current roster. Is that ok with you?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The Team/City that has the edge here is Miami. With Wade as an assest and seemingly pretty happy in Miami you can ascertain that he will remain there and perhaps he will sway another max FA to go there with him. Still, that leaves at least 1 Max FA out there. Assuming that both Bosh and Lebron want to get out of their current clubs, then New york or Miami is the answer for them. Knowing that neither team is going to have enough cash for all 3 of these players at least 1 player is going to be looking for a big market team.

The Knicks have been actively building themselves into a team that is made for a superstar to come in and take over. We have the money, the personnel, the biggest market and have been working on the vision of 2010 and beyond for longer then any other team.

I see Curry and Jeffereies as non-factors on the team. Either to be traded or let go after next season. That leaves us with (probably) Lee, Gallo, Chandler, Hill and Douglas. That is a young, versatile, potential filled core. D'antoni is a well liked coach with a proven success story in Phoenix. President Donnie Walsh is famous for the job he did with the Indiana Pacers and turning them into a power house.

Simply put we are the best situated team for the FA's going into 2010.

We should land at least one of the FA's. We are also positioned for 2011 free agency as well. To an FA that means we will improve dramatically in 2010 and then potentially even more in 2011. Pretty enticeing if you ask me.

:gony:

I would say Miami, New Jersey and Chicago all have an edge over us if Jeffries is not traded.

NJ = over $30 mil in cap space, all-star PG, potential all-star Center, very high draft pick, moving to Brooklyn

Chicago = $22 mil in cap space, Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah and other young potential stars

Miami = $21 mil in cap space, DWade, Beasley, South Beach

Knicks = $25 mil in cap space, Jeffries, Curry, Douglas, Hill, Chandler and Gallo

The Studs:

Tony Parker, PG, San Antonio Spurs: Parker has become one of the top point guards in the NBA over his eight year NBA career, winning three NBA titles and being named the Finals MVP in 2007. Unless he comes to terms on a contract extension with the Spurs the three time NBA All-Star will become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2011 and will without a doubt be among the hottest commodities around. Parker posted career highs in both points (22 per game) and assists (6.9) last season while shooting .506 from the field. The French-born Parker will be just 29 when he hits the market and will be looking to cash in with a huge payday as he enters the second half of what seems to be a hall of fame career.

Tim Duncan, PF/C, San Antonio Spurs: Duncan holds an Early Termination Option on the final year of the two-year, $40M contract extension he signed back in 2007. The two-time NBA MVP will be 35 at the time and will likely find it difficult to get an offer in the ballpark of the approximately $21M he is due from the Spurs and seems destined to spend his entire career in San Antonio. Things can certainly change, however, and Duncan would certainly have a great deal of value on the free agent market.

Yao Ming, C, Houston Rockets: The one blessing that could come to the Rockets from the injury troubles that have plagued Yao throughout his NBA career is the fact that the seven-time All-Star is now unlikely to opt out of his contract (Yao has a player option for 2010-11) after this season, ensuring the team that Yao will be with the Rockets through the 2010-11 season. Yao has proven himself to be one of the top centers in the NBA when he is healthy and will turn thirty shortly before the end of the summer of '11. The injury-plagued Yao will likely be looking to secure the final big payday in what has been a terrific NBA career.

Pau Gasol, C, Los Angeles Lakers: Gasol will head into the summer of 2011 as an unrestricted free agent looking to cash in on one last huge contract as a 31-year old. Gasol has established himself as one of the premier big men in the NBA after two phenomenal seasons as Kobe Bryant's sidekick in Los Angeles and was named third team All-NBA after the Lakers' championship season in 2009. As things stand right now, Gasol will be the best post player available in '11 (considering Yao's health concerns) and stands to cash in big if he can stay healthy and maintain the high level of play that has made him a two-time NBA All-Star.

Caron Butler, G/F, Washington Wizards: Butler has developed into one of the game's top swingmen since being named first team All-Rookie back in 2003. The two-time NBA All-Star has improved his scoring average every year since 2004 but has missed an average of 19 games over the past three seasons. Despite his health concerns Butler's all-around game and overall productivity during his seven year career will make the unrestricted free agent a ton of money as the former Connecticut star enters the twilight of his career.

David West, PF, New Orleans Hornets: West has a player option worth just north of $7.5M for the 2011-12 season and considering his growth as a player since coming to the NBA, West will likely decline the option and become a free agent in 2011. An All-Star in each of the last two seasons, West has seen his scoring go up every year he has been in the NBA. Few big men shoot the ball from the mid-range as well as West and with a game founded more on fundamentals than athleticism, West could conceivably play well into his thirties.

Josh Howard, F, Dallas Mavericks: The Mavericks hold a team option worth just shy of $12M for the 2010-11 season which the team will likely pick up, making Howard, the former Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year, an unrestricted free agent in the summer of '11. Howard has become one of the best two-way players in the NBA, wreaking havoc on both ends of the court. The 2007 NBA All-Star has quietly evolved from a role player into a vital piece of a contending team in Dallas. Despite a couple controversies away from the basketball floor, Howard will go into the summer of 2011 as one of the most sought after players on the market.

The Next Tier:

Jason Richardson, SG, Phoenix Suns: Richardson became one of the game's elite scorers during his seven seasons in Golden State and Charlotte but saw his numbers drop significantly after being traded to Phoenix after 14 games last season. Richardson has two years left on a deal that will carry him into his thirties. Richardson has become a solid three-point shooter during his time in the NBA, a skill which could keep him in the league as his freakish athletic ability declines.

Richard Jefferson, F, San Antonio Spurs: Jefferson holds an ETO on the final year of his contract, worth over $15M, which expires in 2011. Assuming the small forward doesn't exercise the ETO, Jefferson will be one of the free agent prizes in two years. Jefferson, who helped the New Jersey Nets reach the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003, is an explosive scorer who figures to be in high demand come 2011.

Tayshaun Prince, F, Detroit Pistons: Prince has blossomed into one of the NBA's best two way players over the course of his career and is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2011. The 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist is a match-up nightmare on the offensive end of the floor and has been named to the NBA's All-Defensive Second Team four times in his NBA career while helping the Pistons to six straight Eastern Conference Finals appearances and the 2004 NBA title.

John Salmons, SG, Chicago Bulls: Salmons holds an ETO on the final year of his contract which is set to expire in 2011. If the burgeoning star continues his growth into a two way threat he could very likely terminate the final year and approximately $6M left on his deal and become a free agent in 2010. If not, Salmons will be a highly sought after player in the summer of 2011. In his first year as a full-time starter last season Salmons averaged a career high 18.3 points per game while helping the Bulls back to the playoffs after a one year absence.

Andrei Kirilenko, F, Utah Jazz: Kirilenko is a do it all player who led the Jazz in 12 statistical categories in the 2002-03 season. The three-time NBA All-Defensive Team selection is one of the most versatile players in the NBA and his ability to stuff a stat line will make Kirilenko a valuable piece in the free agent market two years from now.

Kenyon Martin, F, Denver Nuggets: Martin was a key player in the Nets run to back-to-back NBA Finals early this decade but injuries have slowed the two-time NBA All-Star in recent years. Martin has developed into one of the best defensive big men in the NBA, however, and capable big men are tough to come by, making the first overall pick in the 2000 NBA Draft pick a commodity.

The Best of the Rest: T.J. Ford, PG, Pacers, Troy Murphy, PF, Pacers, Mike Dunleavy, F, Pacers, Nick Collison, F, Thunder, Samuel Dalembert, C, Sixers, Michael Redd, SG, Bucks.

Did a quick search and found this. It was posted in August so not quite sure how updated it is.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
The fact of the matter is Layden, Dolan, and Thomas set this franchise back 10 years with all the poor decisions they made. AT this point Donnie Walsh has very little options. Maybe its just me but i haven't read any creditable rumor that has teams knocking down the Knicks doors when it comes to the players on our team. We can't have a plan B when nobody in the league wants any of our players. Could we possibly trade David Lee? Yes but at this point it really wouldn't get us all that much.

The goal is to win a Championship not to be the Atlanta Hawks... The Hawks are a high quality team but the fact remains they won't be winning a a Championship team any time soon. We've been a quality team in the past. Maybe i'm just speaking for myself but i don't want to just be the 90's Knicks that were great teams that couldn't get over the top, i want to be the next dynasty in the NBA and win TITLES not just make the playoffs and be a contender.

Right now all the plan B's bring us slightly above average players that would make us better but not good enough. The NBA is a star driven league and you need atleast one SUPERSTAR to win. So maybe Lebron James doesn't sign in NY but i tell you what i'd rather have a 15% chance at signing Lebron at the opening of free agency this summer then going for plan B and having 0 % chance at landing him. And if he doesn't sign here then you can begin to explore options to rebuild this team another way but until Lebron offically signs with another team my #1 goal is to find a way to sign him and if finishing the season with this roster gives us a chance to sign him then thats the way we have to go.

I"m not going to lie and say i think Lebron coming here is a sure thing but i'm not nearily as pessimestic as some posters. There are a few reasons why he may leave Cleveland and come to NY.

1. If Cleveland... Fails to win another Championship (highly likely in my mind) what is really keeping him in Cleveland? Lebron James in the biggest name in sports but due to playing in Cleveland he's only been able to talk players like Larry Hughes into joing him.... He couldn't even talk Trevor Ariza into coming to Cleveland. Say what you want about the Knicks recent history but having Mike D'Antoni, Donnie Walsh, and the city of NY as selling points are going to be a major factor. With Walsh and D'Antoni you have a stability in the front office and the city of NY speaks for atleast.

2. Whose says Lebron won't take less then the max. Lebron is a business man. He's smart he knows by playing in a bigger market he'll make more money they'll he'll know what to do with. Whose to say Lebron won't take a nice 3 year deal and then do his big extension in the summer of 2012/2013 when the contracts of Curry, and Jefferies are long gone.

3. Sticking with the business man side. Playing in New York makes him even more of a global icon and gets him more money. People like money

4. Talent wise the Cavs and Knicks are pretty equal. Say what you want be a young core of Hill, Douglas, Chandler, and Gallo is as good if nto better then the core of Cavs after this season. Lebron is good enough to make the players around him better.

5. I know this is going to sound like i'm Kiyaman.. But we've all heard the theories that Bosh and Lebron made an agreement to play together at the Olympics. And if thats the case they both realized then that getting two max contracts from teams wasn't going to happen. Just another reason why i think max money isn't there nobody one priority. They look around the league and realize if you don't have atleast two stars (Celtics, Lakers) your not going to win. These types of players want to win and would be willing to take a discount if it helped them win.

6. If say we just sign Lebron i'm sure players like Harrington and Lee (who have been through the bad times) would be more then happy to take a hometown discount.

7.. the 2011 option. Again Lebron is well aware that if Jefferies and Curry can't be traded their contracts come off the books in 2011. Maybe we can't win a 2010 Championship with just Lebron but we'd be a good enough to be a solid playoff team. Also come free agency 2011 would their be a more dynamic recruiting team then Lebron and NYC.

8... Once the free agency dust settles teams will start planning for the summer of 2011. And when that happens the contracts of JJ and Curry become valuable. You can land a very solid supporting cast by dangling those two big expiring contracts.

To sum it up, we may not get Lebron..... But come this summer I atleast want to be in a position to possibly get him.... Save plan B until then.

One, the Knicks do not have a team near what Lebron does now.
Duhon vs. MO? come on
Lee (if center) versus Iggy and Shaq this year?
Chandler Varijo good
Delonte West _maybe prison with Arenas

Hughes and Lebron are tight, he won't play for D'Ant, and here is where the coach tried so be tough guy, was not looking ahead, but the Knicks are going to pay the price, not these players. This year is going to HAUNT him also an his next gig is not going to be too easy, not the talent like Phoenix, but as Barkley said, he will follow money, not titles. That is not want Lebron wants.