Should David Lee be a All-Star

Kiyaman

Legend
David Lee has been one of the Knicks most consistent players for last 3 seasons in a row, although the Knicks are not a winning team....should David Lee become a All-Star in his 5th season?

Yes.....No......or Why?
<!-- / message -->

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
If Iverson is, Lee should be.

ESPN Said:

2772.jpg

<center>
</center>
Wild cards: Paul Pierce (Boston) and David Lee (New York)
Three Celtics? I don't quite believe it, either, but I couldn't omit Pierce just because the fans ignored the injuries to vote in KG. The twofold truth is that I, too, always want to see KG at All-Star Weekend and that Pierce -- as we've been saying ever since his NBA Finals MVP performance in 2008 -- hovers at a new level of clutch even if his stats get more modest every season. The latest example: Pierce is quietly shooting almost 47 percent on 3-pointers. There's no way the coaches leave him off and I concur.
The last spot, for me, came down to three: Charlotte's Jackson, Chicago's Derrick Rose with a late push (ahead of teammate Joakim Noah in the race to be the Bulls' first All-Star since Michael Jordan in 1998) and New York's Lee. Give me another day and I'm fairly sure I'd find a way to squeeze both Jackson and Wallace in from the Bobcats.
Yet Lee wins out because he's suddenly so much more than a double-double guy for a team that's legitimately competing for the final playoff spot in the East instead of just dribbling out the clock to free agency. One trusted scout told me this week that he sees Lee, having emerged as a virtual point forward for the Knicks, as the most improved player in the league.
Although his numbers are often dismissed as a byproduct of Mike D'Antoni's system, New York is actually playing at a slightly slower pace this season, which cuts down on his statistical opportunities. Lee is averaging 19.1 points to go with his 11.2 rebounds because his jumper gets more reliable every season and because D'Antoni -- with no Steve Nash at Madison Square Garden -- is running a lot of his offense through him.
dlee608.jpg

NBA.COM
Said:

David Lee, New York (17-24)
19.1 PPG, 11.2 RPG, 3.4 APG

Always known as a great rebounder, Lee has developed his offensive game quite a bit over the last two years under Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni. He's become one of the best pick-and-roll big men in the league and has expanded his shooting range to where he can knock down a 15-footer with consistency. He's averaging career highs in points and assists, is again among the league leaders in double-doubles, and ranks third in the East (behind just James and Bosh) in efficiency. Defense is still an issue and the Knicks have the same record as they did at this point last season, but they're within reach of a playoff spot.
I say:

Lee's held his own this year, improved on BOTH ends (though significantly on the offensive end) 19ppg and 11+rpg is as good as the elusive 20 & 10 guy that every coach wants. And as horrific as his D can be, he has improved. It's there.....But it's easily missed at times.

Huge game against the Lakers shows that he's capable of high output against classy opponents.

Passing awareness has really improved. 2 separate 9 assist games recently.

Handles the ball better and his patented little dribble spin in a one on one situation is high %.

All in all, I say...... Yes....... He should be. He led the league in double doubles last year followed by the NBA's biggest beast, Dwight Howard. Inflated numbers or no, they're still great numbers and he's a class act with a great demeanor and ethic.

EDIT: If Zach Randolph is an All Star this year and Lee isn't, well, I'm afraid I'd have to say that's ****ing bullshit.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
He is not an All Star, 14 block shots for a C/PF midway through the season is not getting it done. I would put Rajon Rondo/Stephen Jackson in front of him after the 2 forwars/2 guars and C are taken.

C Chris Bosh
F Josh Smith
F Gerald Wallace
G Joe Johnson
G Derrick Rose

2 other Reserves: Rajon Rondo/Stephen Jackson

I would love to see a Knick make an All Star, but I just don't feel David Lee goes all out on defense. He wants to get his stats and isn't concerned with protecting the paint and altering shots.

Paul1355

All Star
Yes he should be....

the numbers are enough

19 ppg with 11 rebounds

He is the main reason why we are even in the playoff race....he is the Knicks mvp so from that standpoint he deserves to be an allstar....he has also improved every year offensively. If Lee's defense was good then this would not even be a question but he should be in the all star game.

I voted for him.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Yes he should be....

the numbers are enough

19 ppg with 11 rebounds

He is the main reason why we are even in the playoff race....he is the Knicks mvp so from that standpoint he deserves to be an allstar....he has also improved every year offensively. If Lee's defense was good then this would not even be a question but he should be in the all star game.

I voted for him.

WHAT PLAYOFF RACE? 17-25 Record, .405 Winning percentage and the same record as last season. There is no way he gets in, Derrick Rose and someone within the top 8 gets it. These are the facts, sorry to break it to you like that. Keep dreaming!

again inflated digits, poor defense, and a losing record

some one please explain to me why this guy should be an all star

wow he has a jumper

yeahhh
so does every other all star who has a team pushing for the playoffs

gtf of here

Kiyaman

Legend
WHAT PLAYOFF RACE? 17-25 Record, .405 Winning percentage and the same record as last season. There is no way he gets in, Derrick Rose and someone within the top 8 gets it. These are the facts, sorry to break it to you like that. Keep dreaming!

I hate to bust your bubble but Players like Derrick Rose, Lopez, and Beasely, are like Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Melo, the big reason why the "Rookie vs Solphmore" ALL-STAR was put into effect this way the term "Politics" could be used less in the NBA voting for reserves.
u can consider this a Fact...

Kiyaman

Legend
again inflated digits, poor defense, and a losing record

some one please explain to me why this guy should be an all star

wow he has a jumper

yeahhh
so does every other all star who has a team pushing for the playoffs

gtf of here

Thinking of the team....what are the Knick chances....if Lee get into early foul trouble and foul out early in the 4th?
Lee's number one job on Defense is to grab the defensive-rebound so oponents like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Duncan, Dirk, Pierce, Joe Johnson, ect., ect., have only one shot at the basket. We do not want these players to get two shots on every offensive play.

This should've been the reason why every Knick-Fan should've been balloting and making all kinds of noise on our 8th seclection draft pick Jordan Hill getting playingtime alongside of David Lee this season (maybe our 17-25 could've been 21-21), defense had alot to do with all our wins and our 1 to 5 point loses. Maybe then your aproval of Lee's performance would say differ.
So what Hill looks clumsy on offense, but Hills clumsiness on defense make oponents alter and change their shots and think twice about coming into the paint to score on the Knicks, b/c Hill is big, strong, and quick in the paint area where he would be doing his best to impress the fans, his teammates, and coaches on all his defensive abilities defending the paint.....I must be the minority on giving Walsh props on selecting Jordan Hill and Toney Douglas in the draft.

jpz17

Starter
I think so.. just because there hasn't been a New York all star in a very long time. I think they will try to get the NBA ready for an All Star in NYC.. I'm telling you.. they want New York to do well

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
]WHAT PLAYOFF RACE? 17-25 Record, .405 Winning percentage and the same record as last season. There is no way he gets in, Derrick Rose and someone within the top 8 gets it. These are the facts, sorry to break it to you like that. Keep dreaming!

This one.

Do a little bit of math and use your imagination before you get antsy.
<table class="genStatTable mainStandings" border="1" bordercolor="#cccccc" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="11" class="confTitle">
</td> </tr> <tr class="title"> <td class="name">Eastern</td> <td>W</td> <td>L</td> <td>PCT</td> <td>GB</td> <td>CONF</td> <td>DIV</td> <td>HOME</td> <td>ROAD</td> <td>L 10</td> <td>STREAK</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Cleveland<sup class="super">1</sup></td> <td>34</td> <td>11</td> <td>0.756</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>18-6</td> <td>5-1</td> <td>17-3</td> <td>17-8</td> <td>7-3</td> <td>W 4</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Boston<sup class="super">2</sup></td> <td>28</td> <td>13</td> <td>0.683</td> <td>4.0</td> <td>19-8</td> <td>8-1</td> <td>12-7</td> <td>16-6</td> <td>5-5</td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Atlanta<sup class="super">3</sup></td> <td>28</td> <td>14</td> <td>0.667</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>16-10</td> <td>4-4</td> <td>18-5</td> <td>10-9</td> <td>7-3</td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Orlando<sup class="super">4</sup></td> <td>29</td> <td>15</td> <td>0.659</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>19-9</td> <td>5-3</td> <td>16-4</td> <td>13-11</td> <td>5-5</td> <td>W 3</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Miami<sup class="super">5</sup></td> <td>23</td> <td>20</td> <td>0.535</td> <td>10.0</td> <td>14-8</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>13-10</td> <td>10-10</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Toronto<sup class="super">6</sup></td> <td>22</td> <td>22</td> <td>0.500</td> <td>11.5</td> <td>15-15</td> <td>3-3</td> <td>14-6</td> <td>8-16</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Charlotte<sup class="super">7</sup></td> <td>21</td> <td>21</td> <td>0.500</td> <td>11.5</td> <td>15-16</td> <td>4-4</td> <td>18-5</td> <td>3-16</td> <td>7-3</td> <td>L 2</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Chicago<sup class="super">8</sup></td> <td>20</td> <td>22</td> <td>0.476</td> <td>12.5</td> <td>13-12</td> <td>6-3</td> <td>14-7</td> <td>6-15</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Milwaukee</td> <td>18</td> <td>24</td> <td>0.429</td> <td>14.5</td> <td>10-12</td> <td>4-4</td> <td>13-7</td> <td>5-17</td> <td>4-6</td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">New York</td> <td>17</td> <td>25</td> <td>0.405</td> <td>15.5</td> <td>12-16</td> <td>3-4</td> <td>10-12</td> <td>7-13</td> <td>5-5</td> <td>L 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Detroit</td> <td>15</td> <td>28</td> <td>0.349</td> <td>18.0</td> <td>11-14</td> <td>1-6</td> <td>11-11</td> <td>4-17</td> <td>4-6</td> <td>L 2</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Philadelphia</td> <td>15</td> <td>28</td> <td>0.349</td> <td>18.0</td> <td>8-15</td> <td>4-4</td> <td>7-14</td> <td>8-14</td> <td>5-5</td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Indiana</td> <td>15</td> <td>29</td> <td>0.341</td> <td>18.5</td> <td>11-16</td> <td>1-3</td> <td>10-11</td> <td>5-18</td> <td>4-6</td> <td>L 1</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Washington</td> <td>14</td> <td>28</td> <td>0.333</td> <td>18.5</td> <td>10-16</td> <td>2-6</td> <td>8-13</td> <td>6-15</td> <td>3-7</td> <td>L 2</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">New Jersey</td> <td>3</td> <td>40</td> <td>0.070</td> <td>30.0</td> <td>3-21</td> <td>1-7</td> <td>2-17</td> <td>1-23</td> <td>0-10</td> <td>L 11</td></tr></tbody></table>
Any one of the highlighted teams could go on a winning or losing streak substantial enough to get them in to or out of the race for 8th spot. There's still half a season left. Depending on timing absolutely ANY of those teams could find themselves in the post season.

That playoff race.:eek:hboy:

There's been plenty of conversation about it.

paris401

Starter
i have been a lee detractor for awhile, liking his hustle, nose for the ball, rebounding, but thinking his "D", and jumper sux's... well he has def improved his jumper... no longer is he 'deadly' from 5ft and in, he is how is quite accurate from 12/15ft... quite an improvement.. is he an allstar... being a ny'er i say yesss... but every year there are deserving players that are left off...

smokes

Huge Member
Derrick Rose doesn't deserve it this year thats for sure. Ok so recently he's been playing well but consistency? No way. He was playing like a chump until December. Really regressed from last season, too much expectation and hype around this quiet kid and he buckled a bit under the pressure.

Good to see him getting back to last seasons level though, but all-star? No sorry.

Lee? Yes.

jpz17

Starter
wow is that really the Net record??? 3-40? Man if that is the Knicks someday shoot me

Edit... PS--- This is my 2,000 post here at Knicksonline :)
It has been a great few years with you guys! Here is to many more!

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
This one.

Do a little bit of math and use your imagination before you get antsy.
<table class="genStatTable mainStandings" border="1" bordercolor="#cccccc" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="11" class="confTitle">
</td> </tr> <tr class="title"> <td class="name">Eastern</td> <td>W</td> <td>L</td> <td>PCT</td> <td>GB</td> <td>CONF</td> <td>DIV</td> <td>HOME</td> <td>ROAD</td> <td>L 10</td> <td>STREAK</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Cleveland<sup class="super">1</sup></td> <td>34</td> <td>11</td> <td>0.756</td> <td>0.0</td> <td>18-6</td> <td>5-1</td> <td>17-3</td> <td>17-8</td> <td>7-3</td> <td>W 4</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Boston<sup class="super">2</sup></td> <td>28</td> <td>13</td> <td>0.683</td> <td>4.0</td> <td>19-8</td> <td>8-1</td> <td>12-7</td> <td>16-6</td> <td>5-5</td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Atlanta<sup class="super">3</sup></td> <td>28</td> <td>14</td> <td>0.667</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>16-10</td> <td>4-4</td> <td>18-5</td> <td>10-9</td> <td>7-3</td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Orlando<sup class="super">4</sup></td> <td>29</td> <td>15</td> <td>0.659</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>19-9</td> <td>5-3</td> <td>16-4</td> <td>13-11</td> <td>5-5</td> <td>W 3</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Miami<sup class="super">5</sup></td> <td>23</td> <td>20</td> <td>0.535</td> <td>10.0</td> <td>14-8</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>13-10</td> <td>10-10</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Toronto<sup class="super">6</sup></td> <td>22</td> <td>22</td> <td>0.500</td> <td>11.5</td> <td>15-15</td> <td>3-3</td> <td>14-6</td> <td>8-16</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Charlotte<sup class="super">7</sup></td> <td>21</td> <td>21</td> <td>0.500</td> <td>11.5</td> <td>15-16</td> <td>4-4</td> <td>18-5</td> <td>3-16</td> <td>7-3</td> <td>L 2</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Chicago<sup class="super">8</sup></td> <td>20</td> <td>22</td> <td>0.476</td> <td>12.5</td> <td>13-12</td> <td>6-3</td> <td>14-7</td> <td>6-15</td> <td>6-4</td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Milwaukee</td> <td>18</td> <td>24</td> <td>0.429</td> <td>14.5</td> <td>10-12</td> <td>4-4</td> <td>13-7</td> <td>5-17</td> <td>4-6</td> <td>W 1</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">New York</td> <td>17</td> <td>25</td> <td>0.405</td> <td>15.5</td> <td>12-16</td> <td>3-4</td> <td>10-12</td> <td>7-13</td> <td>5-5</td> <td>L 1</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Detroit</td> <td>15</td> <td>28</td> <td>0.349</td> <td>18.0</td> <td>11-14</td> <td>1-6</td> <td>11-11</td> <td>4-17</td> <td>4-6</td> <td>L 2</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Philadelphia</td> <td>15</td> <td>28</td> <td>0.349</td> <td>18.0</td> <td>8-15</td> <td>4-4</td> <td>7-14</td> <td>8-14</td> <td>5-5</td> <td>W 2</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">Indiana</td> <td>15</td> <td>29</td> <td>0.341</td> <td>18.5</td> <td>11-16</td> <td>1-3</td> <td>10-11</td> <td>5-18</td> <td>4-6</td> <td>L 1</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="team">Washington</td> <td>14</td> <td>28</td> <td>0.333</td> <td>18.5</td> <td>10-16</td> <td>2-6</td> <td>8-13</td> <td>6-15</td> <td>3-7</td> <td>L 2</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="team">New Jersey</td> <td>3</td> <td>40</td> <td>0.070</td> <td>30.0</td> <td>3-21</td> <td>1-7</td> <td>2-17</td> <td>1-23</td> <td>0-10</td> <td>L 11</td></tr></tbody></table>
Any one of the highlighted teams could go on a winning or losing streak substantial enough to get them in to or out of the race for 8th spot. There's still half a season left. Depending on timing absolutely ANY of those teams could find themselves in the post season.

That playoff race.:eek:hboy:

There's been plenty of conversation about it.

We're 8 games under .500, so that means Brandon Jennings, Andrew Bogut who I think is having a better overall season than Lee should get in. So that means Danny Granger gets in with 14 games under .500. Damn we have a very good player in Lee but some here think he is in the Brandon Roy category who makes everyone around him better. To me Lee's game and stats don't mean shit, the way he protects the rim angers me to the point I hope all coaches are watching and he gets snub. He doesn't deserve it, period!

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Yes

David Lee has been one of the Knicks most consistent players for last 3 seasons in a row, although the Knicks are not a winning team....should David Lee become a All-Star in his 5th season?

Yes.....No......or Why?
<!-- / message -->

I watch every game, listen to the other teams announcers (DISH).
All of them say it is because it is fans voting. AI a starter?
Dirk not in?
He is put in the wrong catagory, would you pick him or Dwight Howard as a center? He is a forward at 6.7 and 3/4 height. Was a guard in high school, broke his left wrist, thats why he is ambi, and good with the ball. Hit a growth spurt as a Junior in High School, then moved to Center.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Crazy8s, we lost by 50 today do you think we are in the playoff race? ****ing Idiot!
LOL. Don't remind us.

To avoid any bickering between us fellow Knick fans, I think we can agree that we are TECHNICALLY in the playoff race and are mathematically in the picture. However, we have really hit the wall as of recent. Chemistry is 0, Hughes is complaining, everything just seems kind of falling apart. I think it's fair to say you are both right. We are technically a contender for the 8 spot, but mentally we are out of it. Out of sync, out of wack. Whatever you want to call it...We lost by 50...holy ****

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
LOL. Don't remind us.

To avoid any bickering between us fellow Knick fans, I think we can agree that we are TECHNICALLY in the playoff race and are mathematically in the picture. However, we have really hit the wall as of recent. Chemistry is 0, Hughes is complaining, everything just seems kind of falling apart. I think it's fair to say you are both right. We are technically a contender for the 8 spot, but mentally we are out of it. Out of sync, out of wack. Whatever you want to call it...We lost by 50...holy ****

Totally agree,

It was just out of frustration lol! We should win some games coming up so maybe just maybe we get closer to the .500 mark, then we can talk playoff race!:gony:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
one horrible loss and a bad week doesn't make a lasting impression on the remainder of the season. What do you think Suns and Hawks fans were saying when we beat them?

So call me a ****ing idiot if you like, you're just being a rude slut.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
David Lee has really improved his game. His jumpshot is much improved, and he can drive to the basket at will, kind of like how Zach Randolph muscles his way to the rim.

He is not a real 19 ppg, 11 rebound player. He's more like a 12-14 point, 9-10 rebound player.

However, there are not many good centers in the NBA.

The problem is that Lee is not a center, and he is on a losing team.

I think if the Knicks start Lee as a powerforward, next year, and they can manage to get the 8th seed, then he should definitely be in it. But since he is playing out of position and is on a losing team, it is hard to give him the spot.

If he makes it, I will be glad, though. The Knicks need to get an All Star on their team for confidence, and to increase their chances of getting an All Star in 2010.