The Official '"I still watch wrestling" thread

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Val Venis/Sean Morley is my favorite wrestler of all time.Very underrated.

WWF (I refuse to call it otherwise) has been stale a while.Sometimes it goes through some good stretches, but hasn't been consistent in ages EXCEPT ECW recently.Lately though it hasn't been good.Sadly it only has two weeks left before NXT comes.It had simple yet fresh storylines last year.New wrestlers, good wrestlers, entertaining wrestlers.

TNA just sucks.I barely watch it anymore and I used to put through it every week just to stay in the know with wrestling stuff, but it's really just a bad show.It's even worse now with Hogan and Bischoff.Russo was nuts, but at least it was humerous at times.Now I feel sorry for some wrestlers.AJ does not need this stupid Flair gimmick I heard about.TNA always has to make things complicated.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Val Venis was good back in the early part of the decade. i don't think he has much use in TNA.

TNA does need to be much more original. They have used certain guys like Pope well, but others just randomly fade and come back. The booking is still not that good, it needs to be more solid. They always have matches in their PPV cards that just randomly come in there. Like, there was absolutely no buildup to that match whatsoever, it just randomly comes up. The ones I remember the most are the opening X Division matches in PPVS. That one with the weird looking red cage, is a primary example.

They have so much room to grow, and the guys Starky mentioned do have no reason to be there. All past their prime. Although I don't mind seeing Orlando Jordan again, he isn't all that bad of an overall wrestler.

Back to WWE...Overall, I am not happy with the product. In a sense, Im happy their ECW show is gone, because it gives Christian the chance to go to a bigger show and shine. He needs a World Title, imo he deserves it more than anyone. One of the best all around.

Oh, and I hate Sheamus.

johnstarky

Rotation player
Did anyone watch Raw yesterday? If so, what did you think of the Jerry Springer segment? I thought it was very cheesy and had so much bad acting in it that I was just waiting for it to be done with.I also had a problem with the whole Brett Hart getting hit by a car segment.Something tells me that the story line is going to involve Brett eventually accusing Vince McMahon of being responsible for the death of his brother and also being the master mind behind the car incident.These car accident story lines have been recycled countless times by the WWE writers over the years.WWE just continues to put up weak programs.It's funny how the WWE shows no acknowledgement for TNA's decision to move to Monday nights when TNA could very well be the organization that forces the WWE to put up a better product.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yeah, all that recycled car "accident" thing did was make me laugh.It's just for Vince to accept the match since he has more of an advantage now, even though that's stupid considering Bret's actual wrestling shape is enough.

Really though, at least there's a nice build-up to WrestleMania this year.Last year's is crap, build-up and show.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I kinda enjoyed the Springer segment, anything not PG is enjoyable. I was actually pretty shocked when Bret hart said "ass" three time a few weeks ago. Then when it was being recapped it was censored, lol.

TNA Impact is moving to Mondays on March 8. Looks like some of you guys got your wish. This is going to be interesting.

And why are there only 4 matches for the new PPV? Whatever, I think Sheamus and Jericho are winning the respective Elimination chamber matches.

johnstarky

Rotation player
I don't like to criticize a wrestling organization that I'm rooting for but TNA had the opportunity to televise a good show on Thusday night and messed it up.

This is what they should have left out on Thursday's Impact.

1.The Jeff Jarrett vs Abyss match

2.The misuse of Desmond Wolfe

3.The Kurt Angle vs Daniels match

4.The kidnapping of Samoa Joe

5.The ridiculous ending with Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Syxx Pac and Hogan.

What I did find good about Impact, was how the show started out with Ric Flair and the Pope exchanging words.But you know that Styles has poor mic skills when he allows Flair to do all the talking for him.

Another thing I found good, was the Kurt Angle/ Ken Anderson promo.Anderson mocking Angle was probably the funniest thing that I've seen on Impact.

TNA needs to step up their game if they're going to draw well on Monday Nights.They have a tendency of losing a lot of viewers after the first quarter hour of their shows.They need to practice on building up good story lines, for their main events, throughout the course of their shows.One thing that keeps wrestling viewers glued to the TV is that main event build up.People easily get bored when they don't have anything to look forward to.Hopefully TNA management can pick this up and correct it.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
It could definitely make RAW have a better show than they have usually.They're no match though.TNA is horrible whenever I put it on.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
ww_AAHQ013_8x10.jpg

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Here is my list of people who I don't believe belong in TNA.

Hulk Hogan

Kevin Nash

Scott Hall

Sean Waltman

Sean Morley

Orlando Jordan

the Nasty Boys

I would keep guys like Ric Flair, Mick Foley and Sting just so they could help out the younger wrestlers.That's why I think it is a smart idea that Ric Flair works along side A.J Styles just like he did with Evolution in WWE.

As for TNA Impact being moved to Monday Nights, they already are negotiating with Spike TV on a deal.It will just be a matter of time that they'll be going up against Monday Night Raw.Hopefully they put up better shows this time around and stay away from copying old WWE story lines.

Lets keep this thread going. Has anyone seen Orlando Jordan's new gimmick?

Bleacher Report has been on fire since the end of the biggest pay per view event of the year. Whether you loved the show or hated it, it cannot be denied that WrestleMania 26 has left an indelible mark on our hearts and wallets.
From the retirement of Shawn Michaels to the vindication of a fallen hero?and even to a surprise Money in the Bank victory for Biff Tannen...er...Jack Swagger?this entire community has gone nuts with post-WrestleMania fever, and that is a good thing.
In the midst of this incredible surge of quality writing and commentating on pro wrestling, there is one thing that I think we?ve all missed and glazed over since Sunday, March 28. In the spirit of writing for Bleacher Report, I?m here to remind everyone of the real biggest story that unfolded on Monday night.
Orlando Jordan debuted his new gimmick on Monday night?s episode of TNA iMPACT.
What, in the blue hell, was THAT?
For those of you that didn?t catch iMPACT, Jordan was essentially lowered from the rafters to the ring covered with yellow police line tape. Once he released himself from the harness, he crawled from the ring to the ramp and made his way to a makeshift set.
Once at the set, he did a little shimmy and a curtain fell, which revealed an effeminate man and a random woman sitting on a white couch. Jordan perched himself between the two and glanced seductively at the camera. He may have mouthed something inaudible as well (and it wasn?t the effeminate man or random woman...I?ll get to that later).
One nanosecond later, the feed goes backstage to a confused Jeremy Borash, who tried his best to remain professional after witnessing the debut of Jordan?s gimmick.
As a matter of fact, here?s the YouTube video . Skip ahead to 7:52 and watch it for yourself.
By now, we all know that Eric Bischoff firmly believes that ?controversy creates cash.? If you managed to peek at my recent piece about ratings, we also know that ratings equal money. So in effect, controversy creates ratings, and ratings are translated into views. The more controversial the product, the more people will watch it and comment on it, and the steady revenue will follow shortly.
When you think about it, OJ?s gimmick is a sure fire way to guarantee TNA some buzz which will eventually bring in good money for the company. It?s a very sound and smart tactic, especially with the WWE currently airing reruns of Go Diego, Go! on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday nights.
We all also know that OJ is openly bi-sexual and enjoys ?exchanging familiarities? with both men and women. In fact, it had been speculated that OJ pitched this gimmick to Vince McMahon when he worked for the WWE...and thus began the road to his eventual career in TNA.
Having said all of the above, I personally have no issue with the gimmick. Most wrestlers that really get over with fans usually have gimmicks that are huge exaggerations of their natural personalities. Let?s not nitpick about it, but the ?Stone Cold? character was just an exaggeration of Steve Williams? personality, just as Dwayne Johnson?s ?The Rock? gimmick was himself jacked up 400 levels.
If Orlando Jordan is allowed to be himself, in a sense, then he?ll definitely be able to get over with the fans in one way or another. Even if you don?t agree with or like the gimmick, his character will be memorable and we?ll tune in to see him win or lose.
My problem is not with the gimmick, but is with the booking and creative direction of the gimmick. So far, it?s just plain terrible!
This brings me back to a sentence I made earlier in this piece:
?What, in the blue hell, was THAT? ?
Years ago, popular music artist Prince made billions off of presenting fans with an androgynous cadre of musicians and performances. At one point in time, it was apparently cool to be a man but dress and sing like a woman, and vice versa. See Michael Jackson and Grace Jones for more information.
The lines of sexuality, gender, and everything we were taught regarding the roles and attributes of men and women were blurred, and this explosion of sexual freedom and exploration caused a whole lot of people to not only find themselves but contract several forms of venereal disease as well. Those were the days.
So far, Jordan?s gimmick seems to be a reiteration along those same lines and could definitely work in today?s pro wrestling and status quo world. Believe it or not, the Goldust gimmick was eerily over with fans way back when, and the ambiguously gay gimmicks of Billy and Chuck (played by ?Bad Ass? Billy Gunn and Chuck Palumbo) were over with the fans as well.
Heck, look at recent WWE Hall of Fame inductee ?Gorgeous George? Wagner; this could actually work for OJ!
These gimmicks worked with fans not simply because they produced intriguing characters, but because the storylines for were well written and the characters were booked appropriately. For every Chuck, Billy, Gorgeous George and Goldust, there is a Kwee Wee, Rico, and Kanyon.
These gimmicks worked because they blurred the lines of everything we thought of as being black or white. Goldust made sexual advances towards Razor Ramon, but he cavorted around with a voluptuous female valet; Chuck and Billy dry humped each other in the ring and were about to get ?married,? but then admitted they weren?t gay.
Gorgeous George was a mean, charismatic figure, but he was prissy and called himself ?gorgeous.? People loved every minute of it.
From the initial looks of things, OJ?s character is more of Kwee Wee than a Gorgeous George.
Some fans will say, ?Just give it a chance,? but I contend that no one ever gets a second chance to make a first impression. Whenever you step out to present something to someone else, you want to make sure that you put your best foot forward.
You always want people to know what you?re capable of doing so they?ll be more willing to invest in your potential to do even better than that.
In light of what we saw with the debut of OJ?s new gimmick, the fans are placed in a weird position of wanting to seriously invest in the gimmick and the character while being confused at what the hell they were looking at.
For example: I feel that OJ?s gimmick doesn?t blur or ?cross? the line, but actually blows it up and gives itself a hand job over the charred remains. The success of this gimmick and character lies in TNA?s ability to blur the lines and not cross them completely.
Fans seemed to be more tantalized by guessing what a character as such will do next, rather than knowing flat out what the character will do next. Unfortunately for OJ, as much as a large segment of our society is ready to accept his lifestyle, the majority of fans and Americans still have conservative views on sexuality.
This gimmick could potentially turn away those conservative fans that only want to see their women suffer wardrobe malfunctions, or even the occasionally tease of HLA (remember those days of Bischoff?s tenure in the WWE?). That?s a significantly large number of people to turn away from your product, especially in light of the recent 0.6 ratings point for Monday night.
Mike Tenay, Taz, and Jeremy Borash were not only confused at what they saw, but the spectacle was never mentioned anywhere else in the broadcast.
There wasn?t even the slightest hint of an explanation as to what was going on, and the broadcast team had to pretend as if they didn?t know who was being lowered from the ceiling even though the words ORLANDO JORDAN appeared on the screen immediately behind their heads.
OJ descended into the ring covered in yellow police tape, and Taz made mention to him ?crossing the line.? I thought that was pretty cool, but it looked like he crossed the line and rolled around in the tape hedonistically for a few hours afterwards.
Then I thought that OJ was naked?but thank God, Zeus, and Heracles that wasn?t the case. Spoilers for this particular iMPACT noted that the fans in the arena chanted ?That was creepy,? but who listens to crowd reactions in TNA anyway?
Vince Russo?s style of creative writing is either hit or miss, and I believe he specializes in confusing fans with ambiguous characters and storylines rather than telling a black and white story of good conquering evil or evil gaining steam over good.
Look at Sting?s recent heel turn; most fans loved this, but have we even been given a reason as to why Sting is mad? A dark, brooding, and pissed off Sting is great, but are we to believe he just woke up mad one morning and decided to take it out on everyone at work? Those people are called terrorists, and we don?t like them.
So the real issue is with the handling of OJ?s character and his gimmick. Given Russo?s style of writing, there is a strong chance that the superstar?s push could either fail miserably or succeed beyond our wildest imaginations. In light of Russo?s style of writing, however, the former is more likely to happen than the latter.
In no way am I suggesting that Jordan?s gimmick be watered down to some generalized, cookie-cut family friendly character that dances fancifully around the ring. But in order to truly get OJ over, TNA will have to push the boundaries without forcing the character down the throats of the fans.
TNA will also have to work extra hard at making his character relevant to those fans that are not bi-sexual and may not agree with the lifestyle. That means, and I want you to say this along with me, that TNA WILL HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT WITH HIS CHARACTER.
It will do the company very little good to have OJ float down to the ring in yellow tape and crawl to sit between a half naked man and woman, only to have him disappear for three weeks and to show back up again in an equally dramatic and confusing fashion.
I will proudly admit that TNA has succeeded in sparking some interest with their product. OJ?s new gimmick is in an area that the WWE wouldn?t dare touch right now. If handled properly, TNA could bring about an era of pro wrestling that pushes the limit on what?s acceptable and controversial.
Then again, this can only happen if the character and his gimmick are handled properly.
So what do you think about Orlando Jordan?s new gimmick? Will it work, will it fail, or
moz-screenshot-41.png
do you just not give a hoot?
moz-screenshot-42.png
moz-screenshot-43.png
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/371535-my-two-cents-orlando-jordan-what-the-hell-was-that

johnstarky

Rotation player
To tell you the truth, I haven't been following wrestling for months.I lost interest after TNA's failed Monday Night experiment.I guess it wasn't meant for wrestling to have another golden era last year.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Does he still do that gimmick? That was perhaps one of Eric Bischoff's worst ideas ever.Probably just as bad as the Chucky doll gimmick he did back in WCW.
Haven't caught up to TNA, didn't see the last few shows. Last time I saw it he's Eric Young's tag partner who has a bi-polar gimmick and Jordan likes Eric, but makes him go crazy by helping out the opposite team without knowing which team he's really on a lot.

Eric Young is good, but he's been used horribly for years.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Money in the Bank was the best WWE PPV I've seen in a long time. It was way better than this year's Wrestlemania.

Too bad John Cena didn't get fired. I was looking forward to that.

Boy I haven't watched Wrestling in forever. I used to be in love with that before I started watching more basketball, but I did get to watch Smackdown last Friday and tbh it was pretty entertaining.