Acie Law? Really?

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...acie_law_in_trade_talks_possibly_to_new_york/

Apparently we've inquired about acquiring Acie Law from the Bobcats. His deal expires at the end of this year, but does anyone else see a reason to acquire him besides the fact that his deal is up following this year? If anything, we'll probably have to give up another one of our expirings to get him. I don't like Law's game and I've always called that he would be a bust....typical that Donnie would inquire about him. Apparently Larry Brown wants to move Augustin...I'd much rather bite on that deal. Especially because we could possibly include Jeffries? I don't know. Just exploring options. I don't see the point in taking on Law for the rest of the year.

dave2138

Rotation player
Law and Diop for Curry would be amazing. That would give us another 5 mil to spend this off season.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I can only see this move being made in order to clear cap space for this off season or part of a bigger deal that makes us better. If I were a betting man I would go all in that this is an attempt to trade Jeferies.

So much for Donnie not wanting to make moves...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Brown wants Augustin Out, Jeffries is the Perfect Fit
By Tommy Dee - Feb 4, 2010 6:44 pm

Via Yahoo-

??League executives say between now and then Brown is determined to move point guard D.J. Augustin(notes) for a veteran big man. Michael Jordan and Rod Higgins wanted to draft Brook Lopez(notes) with the ninth pick in 2008, but Brown demanded they pass on the center for Augustin. Bobcats management had gone so far to tell Lopez?s agents they were picking him??

Now we?ve mentioned Jared Jeffries time and time again, and to me, there is no better fit for him, realistically, than Charlotte. Why? Because they?d be adding a hybrid defender comfortable with their system to do the dirty work and not worry about scoring.

Sounds familiar, no?

The Bobcats can include Augustin, their Raja Bell trade exception and another piece (Acie Law) to make it work. It?s complicated, but there?s little reason to think a deal can?t get done. The Bobcats would have to address their point guard situation should they move both Augustin and Law, but Raymond Felton is their bread and butter. Their need is obviously an upgrade over Nazr Mohammed.

The Bobcats have zero interest in the summer of 2010. They need to win now. Adding Jeffries, I believe, to a team that has Ty Chandler and Gerald Wallace defensively, could really allow them to make a push and really put a scare into a top 4 team in the first round.

Now, the Knicks will have to make moves on their end in order to bring back more players than they give up, but again, if they move Jeffries they can make a real play for Tracy McGrady as they attempt the goal of making the playoffs.

Again, it says here, that Jeffries will most certainly fit what the Bobcats want to do, and that?s continue to defend and play up tempo all game. Mohammed hampers them. Jeffries would help them guard the perimeter and also play the 4-5 on an uptempo second unit and be much more productive in his 17 minutes than Nazr.

If your Donnie Walsh, do you concede Jeffries to a team that would most certainly improve thus lessening your own playoff hopes? Is Jordan Hill ready to move into the rotation and be a contributor? Good questions, but in the end Walsh has to gauge the Bobcats? level of interest, if any and there should be. If I?m Larry Brown, it?s time to make a splash by adding a playoff-tested, team defender in Jeffries at the expense of a guard not in your future plans. Again, they have scorers. Adding Jeffries makes them a more complete team and one that can push a team up the standings in the East and position themselves to making playoff basketball relevant in Charlotte again, like we?ve seen before.

Complete no brainer.

Obviously, Brown?s relationship with the Knicks isn?t great, but he respects Walsh and at the end of the day Carolina blood thirsts for wins, not grudges.

Let?s see.

Finger point to our boy Tommy G for the heads up on the link.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2010/02/04/brown-wants-augustin-out-jeffries-is-the-perfect-fit/

Jeffries to Charlotte for Augustin, Law and Raja Bell's trade exception sounds like a good deal to me. We save approx $4.3 mil in cap space and potentially have a PG, although I have my doubts about how effective Augustin can be.

Hopefully this deal goes down. If it doesn't because Donnie didn't want to screw up our chances of making the playoffs this year, then I will be very upset. But if he does it, I will retract every negative thing I have said about Donnie.

There is one problem though. We would still have to get rid of one player in order to take on a 1 for 2 trade. Buyout Darko?

dave2138

Rotation player
What shot at the playoffs? The only way the Knicks had a shot was if the competition in the East was so bad that 35-38 wins would get them in. At this point, I'd be surprised if anything less than .500 gets them in since Toronto, Charlotte, Chicago have played much better and Miami has yet to go on a real hot streak.

I think the Knicks have to go 22-12 the rest of the way to have a shot at the 7th or 8th seed. At this point, any trade should be made to make them better long term. Trading Jefferies and getting back Augustin would be an incredible move.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
What shot at the playoffs? The only way the Knicks had a shot was if the competition in the East was so bad that 35-38 wins would get them in. At this point, I'd be surprised if anything less than .500 gets them in since Toronto, Charlotte, Chicago have played much better and Miami has yet to go on a real hot streak.

I think the Knicks have to go 22-12 the rest of the way to have a shot at the 7th or 8th seed. At this point, any trade should be made to make them better long term. Trading Jefferies and getting back Augustin would be an incredible move.
sub .500 teams in the east have been making the playoffs all decade.

Great trade if we can get it done.

At this stage, we're not a playoff team. But were we ever considered to be one? If 2010 is the golden egg ,Donnie, then just stick to your unpredictable guns and burn what is a year of inflated and unmet expectations.

2010 > 2011

nyk_nyk

All Star
What's the plan for the Knicks again? Besides trying to land James I don't know what the hell is going on anymore. This season needs to end soon so the real business can start.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Coming out of college, acie law looked like a legit point guard. Right now though, he looks like a career back-up.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Really, Acie Law is just another combo guard. His averaged only 5.0 AST in his last college season. Though his PPG increased every year in college his AST increased slightly. Don't we have enough Combo Guards already. Honestly if this is to move Curry or Jefferies, I'm all for it. But I think the Knicks should really go after a legit C or a legit PG. If Charlotte wants to get rid of Augustin, I think Donnie should try to pull this off some way or another. The kid is young and has some potential. Maybe we can get Ajinca too from Charlotte but I know that numbers have to work.

dave2138

Rotation player
sub .500 teams in the east have been making the playoffs all decade.

Great trade if we can get it done.

At this stage, we're not a playoff team. But were we ever considered to be one? If 2010 is the golden egg ,Donnie, then just stick to your unpredictable guns and burn what is a year of inflated and unmet expectations.

2010 > 2011

Looking at the standings, it doesn't look like sub .500 will make the playoffs again this year. Miami is in 8th now and its hard to believe they won't go on a hot run to finish the year +.500. Toronto, Charlotte, Chicago all around .500 now, I'd bet none of those teams really fall apart.

The point is..The knicks will have to play like Boston or Orlando to realisticly have a chance at the playoffs this year. It could happen, but I would make all moves with the mindset to help next year regardless of how it makes the team look the rest of this year.

New New York

Quiet Storm
What's the plan for the Knicks again? Besides trying to land James I don't know what the hell is going on anymore. This season needs to end soon so the real business can start.

Be very prepared for nothing big to happen this offseason!

David Lee will be resigned and that may very well be the extent of our "major offseason"

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Is the source reliable? Because that trade is almost to good to be true. We get rid of some money tying us down, and have the chance to develop a young PG who has lighting quick speed and a decent shot. I mean Donnie should jump on this deal if he gets the chance. Jeffries has really shown his versatility, and is the anchor of our defense. Problem is that 7 mil hes making next year. I didn't want to trade him because I feared we would have to part with either Gallo/Hill/Chandler to get rid of him. But if Charlotte is willing to take him straight up, and package in D.J Augustin I personally would jump on that deal. I know Augustin wouldnt make up for D'antoni missing out on Derrick Rose, but the guy does have talent, unlike Chris DuDonkey.