Knicks discuss deal for Mcgrady

CoolClyde

Tracy-McGrady-and-the-Continuing-Audacity-of-Knicks-Hope

good article

Tracy McGrady and the Continuing Audacity of Knicks Hope
A trade to break a losing cycle

By JOSH ALPER

There are a lot of arguments to be made for why Tracy McGrady would be a good acquisition for the Knicks

He'd force Chris Duhon into a lesser role, the deal would rid the team of several players who are creating behind the scenes issues that are making life miserable at Madison Square Garden, and those departures would also give the team no excuse to keep young players on the bench in a season that's going nowhere fast.

All good reasons, but none of them are the best reason for the Knicks to find a way to bring the erstwhile star guard to New York.

The best reason why is because it will be a fitting end to the era of futility that the team has promised will come to an end after this year. One more faded giant with a contract beyond his contributions added to a team full of mismatched parts would put a pretty little bow on the past decade.

The decade of pain and suffering started when the Knicks dealt Patrick Ewing and his bloated contract to Seattle instead of letting it expire, so what better way to usher it out than by taking on such a contract and reaping the benefits.

If you still have hope for the Knicks, that's got to be a nice thought to hold dear on a cold night. They've screwed up on such a cosmic level that a move like this might, however slightly, balance the scales in their favor. McGrady represents the old way of doing business and that way should die on the same court that it infested for so long.

There's no need to point out that playing out the string with McGrady isn't any different than playing it out with Al Harrington and Larry Hughes from a financial standpoint. The trappings of the move matter more than the particulars. There's also no need to point out that there are no guarantees that a golden era will begin when this season finally draws to a close.

No one talks about it, of course, but that's in the back of everyone's mind. What if all the player complaints about Mike D'Antoni aren't just the rantings of mediocre players making too much money, but accurate assessments of a coach who benefited more from Steve Nash than we were led to believe? What if Donnie Walsh's personnel failings were actually failings rather than deals designed to build cap space?

Scary thoughts that have nothing to do McGrady and everything to do with hope. That's the only thing sustaining this franchise, because there's no faith in the organization nor any rational reason to believe that a miracle is right around the corner.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/spor...tinuing-Audacity-of-Knicks-Hope-84136337.html

skisloper

Starter
i seriously hope you are wrong...Jeffries is a financial cancer to this team.

There is no 3 million dollar kicker.....However if there was only Isiah and Dolan would be that creative.....

Head of the board should start an " All Positive " thread. I love all the opinions and understand that pain as we are all experiencing it but we need stop bitching all the time...

2010-2011 we will be a play-off team. If not then **** the knicks because this suffering was not worth it.:afro:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
i just read that 'ugly' has a 'kicker' in his contract... he gets an add. 3m if he is traded.. so u gotta pay ugly almost 10m next year...
I just read that too.

So (if it is DEFINITELY the case) his contract is on par with Curry's as far as a trade is concerned.

That's ****ing marvelous!!!

2011 > 2010. Gay.

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Boston Talking Deal For Both Jamison And Butler

Feb 12, 2010 10:34 AM EST
Jamison_Antawn_was.jpg

The Boston Celtics are discussing a deal with the Washington Wizards for forwards Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Friday.
The proposed deal would send the expiring contracts of Ray Allen, Brian Scalabrine and J.R. Giddens to the Wizards.
An actual trade is not yet imminent, but it represents the bold thinking of Danny Ainge ahead of the deadline.
The teams are expected to continue discussing the deal on Friday and throughout All-Star weekend.
Via Yahoo!
Boston Celtics, Washington Wizards

The Wizards might be out of the three way trade. Damn Celtics. The rich just keep getting richer don't they. This would be a huge steal by the Celtics. But it would screw up our deal. Unless we have a back up plan. Maybe just a trade with Houston straight up or we would have to wait for a buyout and then talk about signing him.

tiger0330

Legend
i just read that 'ugly' has a 'kicker' in his contract... he gets an add. 3m if he is traded.. so u gotta pay ugly almost 10m next year...
Just read that in the Daily News. No wonder we can't trade him. Heres the quote and the link to the article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/02/11/2010-02-11_big_mac_attack.html

Hughes has an expiring contract, while both Curry and Jeffries own contracts that expire after the 2010-11 season. Jeffries is the toughest to deal because his contract includes a trade kicker which would cost a prospective team approximately $3 million.

tiger0330

Legend
Boston Talking Deal For Both Jamison And Butler

Feb 12, 2010 10:34 AM EST
Jamison_Antawn_was.jpg

The Boston Celtics are discussing a deal with the Washington Wizards for forwards Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Friday.
The proposed deal would send the expiring contracts of Ray Allen, Brian Scalabrine and J.R. Giddens to the Wizards.
An actual trade is not yet imminent, but it represents the bold thinking of Danny Ainge ahead of the deadline.
The teams are expected to continue discussing the deal on Friday and throughout All-Star weekend.
Via Yahoo!
Boston Celtics, Washington Wizards

The Wizards might be out of the three way trade. Damn Celtics. The rich just keep getting richer don't they. This would be a huge steal by the Celtics. But it would screw up our deal. Unless we have a back up plan. Maybe just a trade with Houston straight up or we would have to wait for a buyout and then talk about signing him.
Grunfeld must be crazy. He's dismantling the team completely, does he want cap relief that badly? The Wiz are bad enough already and now he wants to get rid of Jamison and Butler, the Nets will be better then them if he does this deal. He better expect backlash from the fans also. I would just wait until Arena's court appearance to see if I could revoke his contract before trying to trade his two best players to an EC rival.

paris401

Starter
There is no 3 million dollar kicker.....However if there was only Isiah and Dolan would be that creative.....
:

well take it up with isola of the daily news who writes... and i quote..

''Jeffries is the toughest to deal because his contract includes a trade kicker which would cost a prospective team approximately $3 million''

johnstarky

Rotation player
Does anyone think that the Sacramento Kings would still be interested in a Nate Robinson and Jeffries package?

If the Knicks could get rid of Jeffries before the trading deadline and find a way to buy out Curry's remaining year then they should do it.I'm no NBA salary expert, like some people on this site are, but the Knicks need to find a way to empty their hands of these two players before the middle of the summer.

tiger0330

Legend
Yahoo is reporting Dallas and the Wiz are close to a deal trading Caron Butler for Josh Howard. There goes the three way for Tmac with Butler. We can hope the Rox GM will take Harrington/Hughes if he can't get a better deal from anyone else for TMac.

johnstarky

Rotation player
Did anyone expect this deal to happen after the Knicks failed to acquire Jason Kidd, Grant Hill and Allen Iverson? Nobody wants to trade with the Knicks because everybody knows that the Knicks are mostly consisted of players that wouldn't even win the sixth man of the year award on good teams.Jared Jeffries's contract is a cap killer and Eddy Curry belongs in a Weight Watchers institution.The Knicks are going to have to trade either Jeffries or Curry next season for a starting PG or a starting center who doesn't have an expiring contract.This season has been over the night that the Knicks fell behind the 8th seeded Bulls by 5 and a half games.It's very disappointing that Jordan Hill and Tony Douglas have been non factors for the Knicks this year but those are the consequences of a coach wanting to make a playoff run with a short handed rotation.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Knicks Still Pursuing T-Mac

Two sources told the New York Times that Donnie Walsh, Daryl Morey and Arn Tellem held "substantive discussions" on Sunday about a possible trade to send Tracy McGrady to New York.

The teams are trying to make the deal without the assistance of a third team. The Knicks could offer a package including expiring contracts and a young player, perhaps Jordan Hill. The Rockets reportedly do not have interest in Jared Jeffries or Eddy Curry.

A rumored three-way deal involving the Wizards would not be possible now that Caron Butler has been traded to Dallas.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64702/20100214/knicks_still_pursuing_t_mac/

If Donnie trades expiring contracts and Jordan Hill for a TMac 30 game rental, he needs to be fired and sent to a mental ward for senility.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I would do it if we could dump JJ or Curry. Anything else and Walsh is a moron.

It says that the Rockets have no interest in Jeffries or Curry. So the fact that there are several rumors of Donnie still purcuing TMac means that he is looking to trade expiring contracts.

If he does that, then no big deal I guess. A complete waste in my opinion and would take minutes away from Chandler and Gallo. So I'm still not for the trade.

But if he gives Jordan Hill away for TMac without moving Jeffries than he needs to be fired right away. I think Hill is a complete bust but I still wouldn't give him away for a 30 game rental player coming off major surgery that hasn't played basketball in over a year.

All of this TMac to Knicks talk just stinks of desperation on Donnie's part.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Walsh has shown he is a better negotiator than a guy that would trade his 8 pick last year for a 30 game rental player. It would shock me if he did that without dumping at least Jeffries. Harrington and Hughes is the best Walsh better offer for TMac and maybe an exchange of young talent like Hill for Budinger.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
How about:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yf7l8tk

We dump close to 9mil and get back a young PG. We lose Hill but I think that is the only way Houston does this trade. Houston gets to buydown Mobley's contract because he retired and insurance is covering the rest. I think Houston might bite at this.

Knicks Incoming Players:
TMac- one year rental and maybe more. Aquiring him only has an upside
Kyle Lowry- Young PG in his last year. Should be able to resign for cheap. Plays alongside his brother.
Chuck Hayes- A servicable center but mainly added to make money work

Houston incoming Players:
Harrington- a capable scorer and mediocre defender that can def help in a playoff push
Hill- young big with upside potential
Jefferies- defensive big that can help Houston in playoffs
Mobley's contract- negates most of the cost of Jeferies

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
How about:

We dump close to 9mil and get back a young PG. We lose Hill but I think that is the only way Houston does this trade. Houston gets to buydown Mobley's contract because he retired and insurance is covering the rest. I think Houston might bite at this.

Knicks Incoming Players:
Kyle Lowry- Young PG in his last year. Should be able to resign for cheap. Plays alongside his brother.

Harrington- a capable scorer and mediocre defender that can def help in a playoff push

Brilliant trade, IMO.

PG Augustin (Douglas + a 1st)/Lowry

SG Chandler (Augustin running our pt. would make Chandler all the more lethal and effective as a hybrid guard)

SF Gallo

PF Lee

C Bosh

Or, offer Lebron:

PG Lebron
SG Fernandez (Douglas + 1st)
SF Chandler
PF Gallo
C Lee

We are prime to have Curry's expiring, cap space, and just need to secure a C to go:

PG Lebron
SG Fernandez
SF Gallo
PF Lee
C Emeka (?)

6th Man: Chandler

tiger0330

Legend
How about:

Knicks Incoming Players:

I don't think Cat can be traded. See link. Also Donnie did say that the Knicks wouldn't be using Cat's contract in trade talks.

Even if you could move Cat, how does that pay for Jeffries, they still have to pay him until 2011? I think Jeffries is a non-starter with the Rox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=TradeAssets-100210