Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: July 2010: If We Don't land Lebron, can we please...

Veteran

Can you really blame D'Antoni for losing with this roster? Phil Jackson wouldn't be able to win with this roster, they just suck too much. They suck. As a Knicks fan it pains me to say it, but our players are awful. The ones with talent are young and undeveloped (Gallo, Hill, Chandler to a lesser extent) and the veterans are streaky players and some of them (I'm looking at YOU Duhon) just shouldn't be starting on an NBA team, period.

When D'Antoni gets a legitimate NBA roster and underperforms, then maybe I'll call for his head. I mean he had JARED JEFFRIES starting at the 4 last night. You can't honestly expect him to win given a roster like that. Once we dump Chris Duhon for a legit PG and replace Jeffries with someone who can, I dunno, score, maybe then I'll call for D'Antoni's head if his team performs like this.

But as it stands now, you didn't really expect him to win, did you?

Veteran

i agree that ugly (jeffries) suxs...big time... so why start him???... why not start hill to see what u got ...is he in your long term plans or not...

i think 'toni is getting a back-hander from utah to tank the season...

Originally Posted by ANU
    VIA KNICKS BLOG:[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

i think that pretty much sums it up.that's what it looks like to me.walsh wants to have his cake, and d'antoni wants to eat it.i think i remeber vaguely that d'antoni wasn't happy about the craw and zbo trades.
    He was pretty quiet about it. I'm sure he knew it would help them in the long run but hurt them that season. I think they would have made the playoffs minus those trades, but you know what I'll take this off season before I take the 8th seed last season

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Can you really blame D'Antoni for losing with this roster? Phil Jackson wouldn't be able to win with this roster, they just suck too much. They suck. As a Knicks fan it pains me to say it, but our players are awful. The ones with talent are young and undeveloped (Gallo, Hill, Chandler to a lesser extent) and the veterans are streaky players and some of them (I'm looking at YOU Duhon) just shouldn't be starting on an NBA team, period.

When D'Antoni gets a legitimate NBA roster and underperforms, then maybe I'll call for his head. I mean he had JARED JEFFRIES starting at the 4 last night. You can't honestly expect him to win given a roster like that. Once we dump Chris Duhon for a legit PG and replace Jeffries with someone who can, I dunno, score, maybe then I'll call for D'Antoni's head if his team performs like this.

But as it stands now, you didn't really expect him to win, did you?
    I never expected a .500 season or anything. My guess was 37 wins. But it's not so much that we are losing ,we're all accustomed to that, it's the questionable favoritism, substitutions, and obvious inability to design a successful strategy for winning close games.

In defense of our players, they showed some real, encouraging capabilities as a unit when we went on a run earlier in the season.

Since then, the team has been constantly in a turbine and that seems to be the sole reason for us slipping down that win column.

The coach is as much to blame as the players and the proof is right there to support that.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    You might as well give up being a Knicks fan now. We're not getting Lebron and D'Antoni is not getting fired anytime soon.

Ironically though, this team is playing better defense than it has in 7 years, they are not playing the 7 seconds or less system and D'Antoni is probably our strongest draw (besides NY city) for Lebron.
    Thank you! A voice of sanity! Dant has changed his system to accommodate this lackluster group of mismatched underachievers. People ignore the evolution and still pretend he is using the same SSOL system he employed with the Suns. He does have us playing the best D in years and for a nearly two months we looked like we could sneak into the playoffs. Reality and inconsistency set in because we do not have a superstar in a game that requires at least one if not two stars to be dominant. Lee is great but is playing out of position and will never be a number one option

All coaches make mistakes and I have had issues with Dant's rotation and play calls after a time out but any mistakes are magnified by our lack of talent. Do people really think Phil Jackson calls a play for Kobe to pull up for a fade away three pointer and nail it over a double team? Of course not, he runs a play for Kobe and allows him to do his thing!

Dan't will look like a genius just like he did in Phoenix with a good PG and good squad.

Originally Posted by paris401
    i agree that ugly (jeffries) suxs...big time... so why start him???... why not start hill to see what u got ...is he in your long term plans or not...

i think 'toni is getting a back-hander from utah to tank the season...
    You start him because sadly he is our best defensive player and can guard every position. With him and Duhon playing at the same time you are only left with 3 players who can score and none who are super star level talent. That is why we blow.

Veteran

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    You start him because sadly he is our best defensive player and can guard every position. With him and Duhon playing at the same time you are only left with 3 players who can score and none who are super star level talent. That is why we blow.
    i think his "D" is way over-rated... and he is def not part of our future (do we have a future..that's for another thread)...now hill appears from his short stints in various games to be pretty active (def a bit raw), and maybe (just maybe) is part of our future... we ain't going anywhere this year, so let the rook's play , and lets see what they got.

and no need to showcase 'ugly'... cause that's impossible.. with every shot he attempts, with every shot stuffed back into his face, his value diminish's even further... boy he blows....

Superstar

Don't agree Jeffries has real NBA value and fills a need. Every good team has a player like him. The Thunder for example have Thabo Sefalosha, Rockets have Battier & Ariza. Ariza's offense blows too he's is only marginally better than jeffries offensively cuz he can hit an open jay. In fact a great place for Jeffries would be the lakers czu as much as i love Artest is prone now, lost a step, and no longer gets good elevation on his J (he's not a B offensive player anymore).

Jeffries blows for the money as his contract should be 3 or 4 mil, but more imporantly for this team. We don't have a real #1 yet. We should hope Gallinari becomes one, but either he is playing hurt or he's not developing because of how crap our squad is. I would rather play jeffries than duhon however. I have no clue how duhon is our captain.....how do you make the worst player on your squad captain....he's should mascot or something.

Veteran

i would not mention battier/ariza in the same sentence as 'ugly.

i agree neither are great players, but come on those two can hit an open shot, and if they get the ball underneath they are not going tobe stuff'd 75% of the time...

imagine Douglas, Hill, Chandler and Gallo is Jeff Van Gundy was coach.....ah well, we can dream on.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Scribbles
    Just get rid of D'Antoni.

This has nothing to do with the last game performance but moreso my on going opinion of the whole situation with the team.

It's going to be a turning point for this team. Complete roster revamp. Therefore if you're going to tutor the young guys like Gallo, Chandler, Hill, Douglas. They need to be taught the importance of defense. The importance of winning basketball inside the paint. The importance of TEAM BASKETBALL. Something IMPOSSIBLE with a 7 seconds or less system.

Can we get a coach who understands and doesnt shy away from these concepts? That coach will have the CLEANEST slate there is of the past 6 head coaching hires by the Knicks this summer. The opportunity to REALLY start from scratch and assemble a defensive team that is fit for battle.

If we get stuck with D'Antoni and no LeBron and we sign non-defensive players, Im officially giving up as a Knicks fan.

This summer is our opportunity to score some defensive talent and a coach who can turn this franchise around. Please, please don't let me down.....

Thank You.

Sincerely, a disgruntled Knicks fan.
    This is a great post.

I don't even have an opinion on D'Antoni because I told myself I would give him a chance when he has a quality team to coach.

I just can't think of any coach in the NBA who can do anything with this roster.

Jefferies and Duhon are starting.

Veteran

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Jefferies and Duhon are starting.
    and who is making that 'fine' decision.... the coach 'antoni... i've taken away the "D", as he has no clue about what "D" is..

Default Defense D'ammit!

Originally Posted by jpz17
    I respect this post. You backed up your points well and you didn't make outrageous statements like d'antoni should be fired or that he is a terrible coach. Earlier I saw a d'antoni comparrison to Isiah. If we have gone to that resort then we have failed as fans. You can't be a fan by hating everything about the team. Personally I wasn't much of a fan of by in isiah's last year but this team is perfect and I love an offensive team. Defense is quite boring
    jpz17, you've done it again. your love for this D'amnfool coach blinds you to the reality of what it takes to win in the NBA, or ANY professional sport! Walt Frazier, Johnny Hoops, just about every analyst in the sport will tell you, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! BORING???!!!?!?!?!?! SMFH, c'mon now!

"This team is perfect"?... hahaha...because why? Because D'amndickhead is running the squad? OMFG, HELP ME SOMEBODY!!!! PLEASE!!!

D'amntoni said from the very beginning that a high-powered offense will offset defense, and scoring more points than the other team is what wins games. He is correct in that logical retarded assumption, but in the real world of sport, Defense wins. Cases in point, NY Giants, Boston Celtdicks, and of course, the Champion NY Knicks of 69-70 and 72-73.

In those championship seasons, Clyde will tell you that DEFENSE was the key! Red Holzman was a defensive coach. When Knicks traded for defensive-minded Dave Debush, and allowed Willis Reed to move to his natural position at center, the Knicks became the proficient, significant defensive champions 2 out of 4 seasons.

No-D'antoni is a good coach for superstars, as he allows the players to be themselves without any real plays or defensive mindset. However, with a mediocre (at best) team like the Knicks are now, he is a sh*t coach. The way he treats his benched players is bullsh*t (Marbury, N8, Hughes, Milicic, Douglas, Hill) and the way he favors Duhound (the worst starting PG in the history of the franchise), and the OVERATED defense of the starting Giraffe, is a sign of a mental moron. F*ck him and his brother and his whole staff of yes men.

I say FIRE D'AMNTONI!!!!! I wanted Mark Jackson anyway.

Peace.

KnicksonLIN.com

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    That's your opinion. I just haven't heard anything or seen anything from Patrick Ewing, or from anybody else, that would make me think that we would have gone after Brook Lopez. There's just no proof that with Ewing or any other coach we would have gotten Lopez...If there is then please cite to it.

Also, it seems like you are hating on Gallinari. I don't know what your opinion is on him, but based on your tone it seems like you don't like him. I'm not sure I agree with your assessment were this the case. I think the Knicks likely would have taken Gallinari at 6 regardless of who was the coach, he was touted as a high-level scorer with NBA-like toughness and great athleticism. I feel like whoever made the decision felt like we first and foremost needed a scorer and an outside threat. I think he's made life slightly easier on David Lee, teams respect Gallo's jumper a D-Lee can get one-on-one a lot easier (which probably has accounted for his improvement this year). Brook Lopez might have done the same (in a different manner), but there was some skepticism with Lopez, moreso than I think there was with Gallo.

If you think they should fire D'Antoni, that's your decision...but I haven't seen from you (or anybody else) who you would get to coach THIS roster (forget about the past), and how that coach's particular experience would help boost this team and make them significantly better than they are right now. It's easy to say "Fire him," but you have to propose a reasonable solution in light of it.

Edit: My bad, I forgot you said something about a defensive-minded coach. I just don't agree that this team has the defensive talent right now to be a solid defensive stopping team. Also, who out there on the market is a defensive minded coach? Patrick Ewing has not taken his system into the limelight, are we SURE he'd be a defensive-minded coach? I'm not. You want to fire D'Antoni, but who do we get to replace him? I've seen suggestions of Herb Williams, but we've been down that route, and it was horrible enough.
    The number 1 reason the Houston Rockets and the Orlando Magic signed Patrick Ewing was to work with Yao Ming and Dwight Howard(NBA centers).

If Ewing was the coach of the Knicks, they would have gotten Lopez.
    End of discussion.

Knicks' potential lineups, had the Knicks gotten Lopez
    PG Robinson
    SG Chandler
    SF Harrington
    PF Lee
    C Lopez

or
    PG Marbury
    SG Crawford
    SF Chandler
    PF Randolph
    C Lopez

Knicks' current lineup
    PG Duhomo
    SG Chandler
    SF Gallinari
    PF Jeffries
    C Lee

"Pat's a very good coach who's ready to do it, " Van Gundy said. "Like a lot of people, he just needs an opportunity."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"Patrick was able to teach me a lot," Yao says. "He's been very good for my career."
    Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'll take their word over yours. The fact that you keep using all of the skepticism with Ewing shows that you don't know what you're talking about. There is so much evidence that supports he would make a good coach, it's not even funny.

Both Ming and Howard's numbers increased, when Ewing was hired to work with them. Both teams improved, when Ewing was hired to work with them.

The Magic made the finals in 09, with Ewing as their assistant coach, and the Rockets won over 50 games twice, with Ewing as their assistant coach.

Stop hating on the Knicks' G.O.A.T, sucka.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3PLy5DFR7NM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Last edited by abcd; Feb 13, 2010 at 17:44.

Did somebody actually say Ariza sucks as an offensive player?! ROTFLZ