Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This article explains everything

Nyk Logo This article explains everything

Tough Loss to Kings a Small Setback in Playoff Push
    by Mike Slane, nyknicks.com

Knicks head coach Mike D’Antoni sent out a message right before his team took the court against the Sacramento Kings in their final game before the All-Star break.

“We’ll fight all the way ‘til the end,” he said in his pregame press conference. “There’s no reason we can’t make the playoffs, really. I thought that from the very beginning of the year, and I’m disappointed that we are where we are, but there’s time to turn it around and time to get going.”

It looked like the Knicks were beginning the turnaround on Tuesday when they built a 15-point lead in the fourth quarter against the Kings, but then they showed why they still have a lot to work on after blowing the advantage and suffering a 118-114 loss in overtime at Madison Square Garden.

“For whatever reason, the spirit just let out,” D’Antoni said. “We’re not fighting.”

Wilson Chandler led the way for the Knicks with a career-high 35 points, while David Lee added 21 points and 10 rebounds. But it was Kings rookie Tyreke Evans who stole the show with 27 points, 10 rebounds and six assists as he almost single-handedly took the energy out of New York.

The Knicks have lost 11 of their last 15 games to drop 13 games below .500 for the first time this season and fall five and a half games back of the Miami Heat for eighth and final spot in the Eastern Conference playoff race. The up-and-down season continues for the Knicks, who went 12-6 following a 3-14 start.

“We have to continue to play each game until the end of it,” point guard Chris Duhon said. “We have to play hard, continue to try to get better and try to win every game. You never know what could happen. We have to somehow keep our spirits up and continue to go out and fight each night.”

The Knicks fought against the Kings until the very end, but nothing seemed to click offensively as Sacramento chopped away at the big deficit in the final seven minutes of regulation. Things eventually got so bad for the Knicks in the fourth quarter that their final shot of the period was an airball on a three-point attempt from Duhon as the shot clock was expiring with two seconds left to play.

“They guarded it well and I just looked up, saw the shot clock going down and I was just trying to get it up on the rim,” Duhon said. “Give us a chance off the rebound.”

New York’s struggles began when the Kings switched to a zone defense in the second half and continued through the extra period. And it didn’t help that the Knicks’ best shooter was sidelined with a forearm injury on his shooting arm for the final 18 minutes of the game.

Danilo Gallinari left the game with 1:13 left in the third quarter after uncharacteristically airballing a free throw with his right arm before missing his second in a row while shooting lefty. He said he had no strength in his right hand after sustaining an injury to the muscle in his forearm for the second time during his second NBA season.

“It was the same thing that happened in the game against Orlando,” said Gallinari, who had nine points and eight rebounds before leaving the game. “It’s tough to find a reason why the muscle in the arm is weak, so probably with a couple of days it’s going to be back to normal.”

X-rays on Gallinari’s forearm after the game came back negative. He says he is still scheduled to travel to Dallas for All-Star Weekend, but he wouldn’t commit to remaining in the rookie/sophomore game and the three-point contest until he sees how his arm feels over the next couple of days.

“I don’t even think about that,” he said. “I will think about getting treatment tomorrow morning with the staff. I am trying to get this arm back healthy as soon as possible.”

And that’s what the Knicks will need him to do in order to have the best chance of turning the season around and making one final playoff push.

CHECK OUT WHAT I BOLDED.

Now let's break this down.

Mike D...ONCE AGAIN...has explained that this loss was because of a lack of energy but note that he changes the words to 'Spirit" to not sou d redundant because thats what he has been doing...giving us redundant excuses.

Duhon has no clue what he is doing on the floor. Duhon's quotes about fighting hard and hoping to come ouf of these slumps is just adding to the lack of "spirit" on this team. The "captain" has no answer and he says one thing and his team and himself never show it.

This news writer actually had the nerve to alk about "fighting to the end" and a "playoff push" PLEASE STOP TALKING LIKE THE KNICKS ACTUALLY TRIED TO WIN THIS GAME!

And here is the big mystery. Gallinari had problably his worst game as a knick and embarissed himself jsut as bad as Duhon and Jeffries did. Gallo is so off from the foul line that HE SHOT LEFT HANDED! Who the hell shoots with their opposite hand!?!? Not even Dwight Howard does that and he is the worst fuol shooter in the NBA!

Gallo had to leave the game because of a "forearm" injury". No people Gallo left the game because he needed an excuse to why he was SO BAD in that last game. Gallo is in a complete slump. He is only rebounding, everything else he is an F at right now.

Read this article...read what is bolded and tell yourself, "Is this not the most hopeless, lying team who have seen in the past decade?"

At this point Dantoni is trying to salvage his credibility as a head coach. You know the NBA coaching fraternity talks about how out of sync the Knicks are BUT they probably also talk about how inept Dantoni is as a coach for this team. Bottom line, there is no answer but Duhon and his Lover-Coach always have some excuse other than their own performance. Duhon has become the official team PR person.

Gallo's arm was so weak that he couldn't attempt a FT with the correct hand? That's some real punk s*** right there. If you can lift your arm then you can shoot a FT. Stop the BS! He didn't even TRY to make the shot which could have prevented the game from going into OT.
    Last edited by nyk_nyk; Feb 10, 2010 at 12:01.

How is this different than the 07-08 Isiah team?

How is this different than the 05-06 Brown team?

Nothing really. In fact, I would say those teams had much more talent than the current team.

We have the worst roster in the NBA. Hands down.

D'Antoni is clueless about substitutions, drawing up plays out of time-outs and really sucks at communicating with his players. But I'm not going to blame everything on D'Antoni and call for him to be fired just yet. At least allow him to have a functioning NBA roster before we call for him to be fired.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

Nothing really. In fact, I would say those teams had much more talent than the current team.

D'Antoni is clueless about substitutions, drawing up plays out of time-outs and really sucks at communicating with his players. But I'm not going to blame everything on D'Antoni and call for him to be fired just yet. At least allow him to have a functioning NBA roster before we call for him to be fired.
    fine but does this not prove that a coach is only as good as his players? Mike D is no better than what Mike Dunleavy was with the Clippers

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    fine but does this not prove that a coach is only as good as his players? Mike D is no better than what Mike Dunleavy was with the Clippers
    I'd rather have mike dunleavy as coach right now.

Superstar

Default Gallo's "forearm"

Gallo's injury is likely to be "nerve" related. Some tendon is irritating a nerve. Think of hitting your "funny" bone or getting up from a sitting position to find that your foot is asleep. Try shooting a foul shot right after you hit your "funny" bone.

If it is nerve related, it could be a continuing problem.

With or without the problem, Gallo's game has not been particularly good lately. Last year I believe he took a total of 27 free throws and made all but one of them. He has missed too many this year even without the forearm injury. He is a very poor finisher on the too rare occasions that he does drive to the basket. Often, as he gets off his feet approaching the basket, he turns and passes backwards-- very dangerous.

I believe the "job" that D'Antoni has assigned to him is to plant himself on the perimeter to draw defenders from the middle. But no one passes to him. Duhon will pass to Jefferies before he will pass to Gallo, even when they are equally open. Last night, Gallo played for 31 minutes and took only 5 shots. Should Gallo be more aggressive? Perhaps. But it is hard to be aggressive when you are instructed to plant yourself on the perimeter.

I do, however, expect Gallo to get better as he gets stronger, improves his handle, and accilmates himself to the speed of the NBA game. He will never be quick, but he will learn what his limited athleticism will permit him to do successfully.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    Gallo's injury is likely to be "nerve" related. Some tendon is irritating a nerve. Think of hitting your "funny" bone or getting up from a sitting position to find that your foot is asleep. Try shooting a foul shot right after you hit your "funny" bone.

If it is nerve related, it could be a continuing problem.

With or without the problem, Gallo's game has not been particularly good lately. Last year I believe he took a total of 27 free throws and made all but one of them. He has missed too many this year even without the forearm injury. He is a very poor finisher on the too rare occasions that he does drive to the basket. Often, as he gets off his feet approaching the basket, he turns and passes backwards-- very dangerous.

I believe the "job" that D'Antoni has assigned to him is to plant himself on the perimeter to draw defenders from the middle. But no one passes to him. Duhon will pass to Jefferies before he will pass to Gallo, even when they are equally open. Last night, Gallo played for 31 minutes and took only 5 shots. Should Gallo be more aggressive? Perhaps. But it is hard to be aggressive when you are instructed to plant yourself on the perimeter.

I do, however, expect Gallo to get better as he gets stronger, improves his handle, and accilmates himself to the speed of the NBA game. He will never be quick, but he will learn what his limited athleticism will permit him to do successfully.
    agreed that Gallo is suffering offensively because Duhon refuses to pass to him, but Gallo has to learn to get open and constantly call for the basketball. The fact that Duhon passes to Jeffries before Gallo is sickening.
    And if Mike D is the real reason for Gallo being a statue on offense...then it makes me hate Mike D even more.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

I agree with everything here.... HOWEVER, I will add this: The first game post trading deadline (and from there until end of season).... Our rotation better consist of: Douglas-Chandler-Gallo-Lee-Hill (with Landry). These 6 better se the bulk of the minutes.... Sure, toss in another chump or two. But if we're seeing Duhon-Hughes-Harrington-N8 then D'ant is doing the future harm.

im not gonna read anything into the danilo thing.

Originally Posted by SLY1984
    I'd rather have mike dunleavy as coach right now.
    The grass is always greener on the other side Sly...you know you wouldn't.

Paul..."lack of energy" or "loss of spirit" are euphemisms for..."we suck and don't have a star".

Dant doesn't have the luxury to call out our team on their utter lack of elite talent so he has to harp on energy He happens to be correct because 80% of D is intensity and only 20% is actual talent. Lee is the closest thing we have to a star and he is playing out of position and a number two option at best.

Call a f*cking spade a spade!
    Gallo was a mistake and not worth the pick- especially since we had other needs, admit it.
    D'Ant was a mistake and not worth the $- N*gga I'm from NY! Double talk and reading between lines is my forte, you can't fool me so let's break it down.
    What D'Antoni is really saying is...
    "I had no clue what to expect when I got hear- sh*t I had no real plan. I've tried going into my limited bag of tricks but to no avail! I am now realizing I can't outsmart or double talk my way through this so I must slickly ridicule the players in hopes of masking my own short-comings, of which I can't recall exactly how I'm qualified to rebuild a team. All the while I must remeber I am partly responsible for supporting some of the guys that are making us lose like Duhon. Sh*t I hope those NYers are too dumb to realize I got free paychecks for 2 years now w/o doing anything except setting them back even further by supporting picking my god-son so his finacial future is set. When I think about it I'm not really that bad, I got my self and a family memeber paid for nothing and everyone still believes I'm a great players coach. I'm just affraid to admit my own mistakes. Who knew this is what NY meant by keep it real."

Originally Posted by Red
    Call a f*cking spade a spade!
    Gallo was a mistake and not worth the pick- especially since we had other needs, admit it.
    D'Ant was a mistake and not worth the $- N*gga I'm from NY! Double talk and reading between lines is my forte, you can't fool me so let's break it down.
    What D'Antoni is really saying is...
    "I had no clue what to expect when I got hear- sh*t I had no real plan. I've tried going into my limited bag of tricks but to no avail! I am now realizing I can't outsmart or double talk my way through this so I must slickly ridicule the players in hopes of masking my own short-comings, of which I can't recall exactly how I'm qualified to rebuild a team. All the while I must remeber I am partly responsible for supporting some of the guys that are making us lose like Duhon. Sh*t I hope those NYers are too dumb to realize I got free paychecks for 2 years now w/o doing anything except setting them back even further by supporting picking my god-son so his finacial future is set. When I think about it I'm not really that bad, I got my self and a family memeber paid for nothing and everyone still believes I'm a great players coach. I'm just affraid to admit my own mistakes. Who knew this is what NY meant by keep it real."
    Is this tirade directed at me?

Veteran

Originally Posted by Red
    D'Antoni is such a homer. Drafts his godson Gallo. Signs Duhon who played for his boy Coach K. Drafts Jordan Hill who played for Arizona where he's coached and still lives.

Don't know if Duhon and Hill have a connection like Gallo but it sure smells like it.

if this team played hard defense, we'd be winning. Like I posted on the other thread. You can't tell me, Hughes, Chandler, Toney Douglas, Jared Jefffires, Jordan Hill aren't capable of shutting down teams! THese guys know defense, but we are unlucky enough to have a coach who only teaches offense.....