Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Espn.com insider has Knicks going for Joe Johnson

Superstar

Default "Free" Market Economy

I posted a comment that David Lee probably would not see a $10M multi-year contract in 2010. My comment was less an observation as to what Lee might "deserve" when compared to current contracts for other players than it was a prediction that owners are going to be making low ball offers in 2010.

We live in a "free" market economy. The players can only get what owners are willing to pay them. The owners want a new CBA that will greatly diminish amounts applied to player salaries. With the exception of players like LeBron or Wade, I do not see owners ponying up to big contracts for 2010 and then arguing the need to reduce player salaries drastically when the current CBA expires in July of 2011. In the period after July 1, 2010, I expect to hear union charges of owner conspiracy on free agent offers.

I really like watching Joe Johnson play, I knew it was a great pickup for the Hawks when they signed him. That being said, he declined Atlanta's extension because he wants the MAX. As much as I appreciate his game, there's no way Donnie should be handing out a MAX contract to JJ. If we can get him for 12 mil or less, then I'm all for it. Sadly that is way unrealistic, this is probably the last big contract he is going to get, he's probably going for the most money.

Joe Johnson is pretty good, certainly a decent guy to make your #1, but look at the Hawks team around him. J-Smoove is a monster, Al Horford is a defensive/rebounding beast, Mike Bibby is a pretty good PG, Marvin Williams is probably the best 4th option in the league and Crawford is finally where he needs to be, coming off the bench, and doing it well. JJ benefits from having a lot of very good talent around him. He's good sure, but he's no way worth the max contract and the Knicks don't have enough talent to surround this guy. He's not a one-man-show the way LeBron or D-Wade are, just a pretty good #1 option.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Joe Johnson is pretty good, certainly a decent guy to make your #1, but look at the Hawks team around him. J-Smoove is a monster, Al Horford is a defensive/rebounding beast, Mike Bibby is a pretty good PG, Marvin Williams is probably the best 4th option in the league and Crawford is finally where he needs to be, coming off the bench, and doing it well. JJ benefits from having a lot of very good talent around him. He's good sure, but he's no way worth the max contract and the Knicks don't have enough talent to surround this guy. He's not a one-man-show the way LeBron or D-Wade are, just a pretty good #1 option.
    I agree. I think he'd be great paired with Bosh (and I suppose I'd consider a max contract for him if we had Bosh secured) but I would not be satisfied making him our number 1 option.