Does WFAN radio ever talk about the Knicks?

johnstarky

Rotation player
This is suppose to be the number one sports radio station in NY but it is rare that the topic of the Knicks comes up on any of their shows.You have hosts like Mike Francesa who will talk baseball or football for more than 5 hours but only talk about the Knicks for 3 minutes.Steve Sommers and Tony Paige are probably the only hosts on that station who bother discussing the Knicks. A lot of their callers prefer to talk about Omar Minaya or Rex Ryan's antics .I am starting to prefer ESPN radio.At least they are very neutral when it comes to discussing NY sports and don't waste their entire shows talking about one team or one sport.

johnstarky

Rotation player
We're the Knicks, there's nothing to talk about.

Unless a trade gets done or we sign LBJ.

I know WFAN's the flagship station of the NY Mets but even when the Mets stink they're talked about a lot.I don't see why New Yorkers only prefer talking about the Knicks when they're good.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I agree. How much can one station talk about the f#cking Yankees. Spring training hasn't even really started yet...and I don't like baseball.

KBlack25

Starter
I listen more to ESPN Radio (1050 AM in the NY area)...Brandon Tierney talks about the Knicks quite a bit, especially recently with the end of football season. He's pretty knowledgeable, if you want to check it out I'd recommend it. My dad is a big fan of Tierney's as well.

richtree

Rotation player
I listen more to ESPN Radio (1050 AM in the NY area)...Brandon Tierney talks about the Knicks quite a bit, especially recently with the end of football season. He's pretty knowledgeable, if you want to check it out I'd recommend it. My dad is a big fan of Tierney's as well.

Tierney is one of the worst. He is for a guy that isn't a avid sports fan. He reminds me of Jim Rome, trying to be shock worthy.

He went on a 20 minute rant and how the Knicks shouldn't go after McGrady because he is old and has an inflated contract ., etc etc etc.

Then after 30 minutes of this someone called and said the Knicks would be able to sign to max free agents and clear cap space.
He laughed them off and he obvisouly didn't know the details of the salary cap when asked about clearing space.

Tierney tries to make bold statements based on general opinions of the everyday fan.
He is like the loud guy at the bar that just talks above everyone saying, they suck, McGrady sucks, and doesn't want to take the time to do the research about the future.

Tierney ='s bum when it comes to the NBA. Too many sport show hosts don't enjoy the NBA and pretend to watch it just to hit the topic.

KBlack25

Starter
Tierney is one of the worst. He is for a guy that isn't a avid sports fan. He reminds me of Jim Rome, trying to be shock worthy.

He went on a 20 minute rant and how the Knicks shouldn't go after McGrady because he is old and has an inflated contract ., etc etc etc.

Then after 30 minutes of this someone called and said the Knicks would be able to sign to max free agents and clear cap space.
He laughed them off and he obvisouly didn't know the details of the salary cap when asked about clearing space.

Tierney tries to make bold statements based on general opinions of the everyday fan.
He is like the loud guy at the bar that just talks above everyone saying, they suck, McGrady sucks, and doesn't want to take the time to do the research about the future.

Tierney ='s bum when it comes to the NBA. Too many sport show hosts don't enjoy the NBA and pretend to watch it just to hit the topic.

I hear ya...he's a big Jets homer...but I find him entertaining. And at least he talks about basketball, it gets ignored by everyone else.

Mostly I listen to radio shows to be entertained, for actual information I go to ESPN podcasts...but the NBA Today one doesn't do a ton of Knicks coverage, and is only on every other day.

I like a guy going out to do entertainment on the radio, that's what he has to do. I understand why you wouldn't like him though, certainly you are entitled to your own opinion.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
For the past 2 hours, WFAN has talked about whether or not Posada should be batting 5th in the Yankees lineup.

Baseball is the most boring sport on the planet. They haven't even started playing yet. And quite possibly the biggest trade in Knick franchise history is about to go down...and nothing.

knicksin60

Starter
For the past 2 hours, WFAN has talked about whether or not Posada should be batting 5th in the Yankees lineup.

Baseball is the most boring sport on the planet. They haven't even started playing yet. And quite possibly the biggest trade in Knick franchise history is about to go down...and nothing.

The reason why they don't talk about the Knicks is because WFAN would lose their listeners if their programs were centered around a team that is so horrible.Successful organizations bring in high ratings and are fun to talk about.Losing organizations like the NY Knicks are depressing to discuss and haven't done anything worthy of recognition throughout the past 10 years.I don't think it has anything to do with NY being a baseball town.When the Knicks were making the playoffs every year in the 90's, sports journalists and the NY sports media had no problem making money off of them.Too bad it hasn't been that way as of late.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
I agree. How much can one station talk about the f#cking Yankees. Spring training hasn't even really started yet...and I don't like baseball.

dude are you serious? WFAN and every NY sports show only talks about the Mets and Jets 24/7... every time i turn on the radio its always about fans complaining about the Mets and Jets....the yankees get less air time than those two.

knicksin60

Starter
What a joke this Mike Francesa character is. The man gets paid one of the highest salaries of any radio sports host in the country and yet he spends a total of 2 minutes talking about the Knicks and the rest of his show talking about politics. I know it's the presidential election but I think there is a place to talk about that stuff and it is not sports radio.

MadJack

Benchwarmer
What a joke this Mike Francesa character is. The man gets paid one of the highest salaries of any radio sports host in the country and yet he spends a total of 2 minutes talking about the Knicks and the rest of his show talking about politics. I know it's the presidential election but I think there is a place to talk about that stuff and it is not sports radio.

He's pulling for Romney hard, and is butthurt over the likely outcome.

knicksin60

Starter
He's pulling for Romney hard, and is butthurt over the likely outcome.

He doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows about politics and makes sports radio very unenjoyable to listen to. I always have to end up switching to ESPN radio NY whenever he starts putting me to sleep.

metrocard

Legend
WFAN audience is mostly old white guys from Jersey, Long Island, Westchester, Queens...they have no NBA insight to share. Just NHL, NFL, and a lot of BS on baseball. They talk a lot of sh*t.

knicksin60

Starter
Same Crap Different Year

Nearly six years after this thread was first posted on the KO forum and WFAN is still the same Bull Crap radio station that it was back then. Nothing much has changed.After about a couple of years of ditching that station I tune in to investigate whether they might be discussing the current NY sports team that is having some success, but instead the main topic is on whether the Mets will re-sign Yoenis Cespedas. Talk about a station that could care very little about basketball or the Knicks fan base. Even though the baseball WS was over more than 2 months ago and pitcher's and catcher's don't report to Spring Training until another month, these people act like NY only has one sport worth paying attention to. They might as well rename their station to WMLB or WMET. What a joke!

tiger0330

Legend
Knicksin60 how you bump these old threads is amazing. Must have been a history major in college and the right guy to run that Today in Knicks History thread.

knicksin60

Starter
Knicksin60 how you bump these old threads is amazing. Must have been a history major in college and the right guy to run that Today in Knicks History thread.

Thank you! I come from a family background that enjoys history. Never took it as a major but my memory helps me to remember a lot of events from the past.

mafra

Legend
At least Michael Kay talks Knicks (almost daily at some point)... With APPs and access to so much out there... Why would anybody listen to WFAN?